All Comments on '"For Better or Worse!"'

by carvohi

Sort by:
  • 318 Comments (Page 4)
Sidney43Sidney43over 8 years ago

A real down to earth story with a realistic ending taking into account the character development we were given. She was naive and fell under the spell of an experienced seducer who hid behind a mask of religion and concern about others. She wasn't the first and won't be the last. The author gave us a wife who had not yet engaged in extra marital sex, at least as some prominent people have defined it, but who had cheated in her mind, as another prominent person defined it. The extent of the cheating made it easier to forgive and that is what made it end correctly, at least for me. Gave you five stars.

AnonymousAnonymousover 8 years ago
the man lost all self respect and took back in an adulterous lying wife who cheated in her hypocritical self righteous religion

He knew he had to divorce her and get on with his life after finding that his wife was a manipulating cheating slut. She had neither respect for her husband, belittled and portrayed him badly, and showed no love for him, her marriage, or her children. Yep turn tail and lay down and let her walk all over you, great lessons to teach your children! She was played but she is an adult and more than capable of saying no on many occasions, there is no excuse for her own actions.

stev2244stev2244over 8 years ago
Great

A calm, well-written story about people trying to deal with a problem. No Navy Seals, willing cuckolds, international PI companies or Cayman accounts. Thanks for that. 5*

AnonymousAnonymousover 8 years ago
Well written!

Enjoyed this story. Thanks for a good read.

palewriterpalewriterover 8 years ago
Wouldn't it be pretty to think so...

and i hope it works out.

There is no doubt that carvohi is a good writer so I can't comment. His male protagonists have martyr complexes and will consistently fall on their own swords to make their wives look better.

Forgiveness is a wonderful thing but it does not mean self sacrifice in propitiation for the misdeeds of another. He can never really trust her - she shattered that trust. He can recognize that and not let it rule his life. If thrown out the window that monkey will climb back in.

I hope they make it.

Richie4110Richie4110over 8 years ago
Great Human Response

Loved the story and the way that the drama played out. This could easily turned the other more traumatic way and been resolved in a later renewal. Both ways would result in reader pleasure.

Always feel rewarded when I see a new carvohi offering. Thanks for sharing this effort and your talent.

AnonymousAnonymousover 8 years ago
I blame myself...

...I really shouldn't read carvohi. He really is a wimp.

Anyway, I think the husband stayed with the slut mostly for the kids, and the story wasn't that bad.

impo_61impo_61over 8 years ago
Good story and I agree 100% with @sugna...

Good story and I agree 100% with @sugna...3*...Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to the writer and all his family, as to all teh LW readers and writers...

sugnasugnaover 8 years ago
Church Cheating

Great subject! There are a lot of women that go to church without their husbands. They bring their children and get involved in church work and social activities. Soon, a significant part of their social life is as a single person, without a husband around. There are also a few men that go to church without their wives. It isn't long before these people find each other and natural attraction leads to friendship. Friendship between a man and a woman that do not socialize much with their spouses is an opportunity away from a sexual relationship. I have seen it come close to happening over and over again. Don't let your spouse go out drinking without you, and don't let your spouse spend hours socializing without you every week with other lonely people unless you want them to cheat on you. Marriage is a three legged race, you don't get very far or go very fast unless you are a team and work together.

AnonymousAnonymousover 8 years ago
not bad

I was expecting the usual wronged-man self-righteousness. And, up to about the middle of the 2nd page, that's what it looked like. The man who thinks in black and white, and without offering time for a moment's explanation from the evil wife he has already decided that the marriage is over. In a way, such behavior reflects an inability to cope.

The social context of such stories have always puzzled me. Where and how does such an attitude of intolerance come from? Coincidence or not, this story gives a possible explanation: the "Church", the hypocrisy of the Church. Conservative, controlling and yet utterly intolerant of transgressions even when forgiveness is preached as a defining virtue of the belief system.

Going by what has unfolded in this story, the result is a psychologically messed up view of the world, torn by contradictions.

I still don't have too much sympathy for the Harry's in this world. But at least this guy managed to get past his moralistic reflex and tried to pay some attention to the reality of the everyday life he had.

So, in the end, I was pleasantly surprised by a story with more psychological depth than the usual offering in this category.

mickymouse113mickymouse113over 8 years ago
Just A little thing

I had to do some research to find out what an Avalon is. Saying a Toyota or Toyota Avalon would have aided us non US readers but with Bing and Google a few minutes is all we need to find out.

AnonymousAnonymousover 8 years ago
Excellent read

I thought it was very real and sometimes uncomfortable, but then that's life.

The last few paragraphs really rang true.

doberincadoberincaover 8 years ago
Story of my life

Been there, did the same. But believe me, it's never been the same. Children go first.

AnonymousAnonymousover 8 years ago
Carvohi and harry must be ass buddies

Neither have any balls

avidfaavidfaover 8 years ago
Mature and real

so, prepare to get dumped on for that.

But, really, I could see his hands, his calluses, the discolored nail, the bent finger. A man, a worker, a builder of things and a builder of a life. That he caught on before anything happened, and acted to interrupt it in the earliest stages is certainly a testament to his sensitivity, isn't it? His response was novel, mature, restrained.

The story felt as real as cutting down branches and raking up leaves in the backyard this weekend. You set this story on a very unusual vector and kept to the line with a very deft touch. Really, a remarkable effort.

Ignore the BTB troglodytes and their rants. This was an incredibly real story.

LordSlamdawggLordSlamdawggover 8 years ago
Ditto on previous positive comment

Excellent dialogues with the Ying and Yang vantage points painfully well covered. The reconnection was touch and go , gradually occurring as credible amount of time occurred. The eagerness of the children to believe her half truths and evasions was spot on as well. Almost any white lie will do to keep family unit intact. Lessons were absorbed by all parties. Full marks. *****

tazz317tazz317over 8 years ago
NAIVETY COMES OUT

and lets stupidity enter with destruction. TK U MLJ LV NV

AnonymousAnonymousover 8 years ago
Very good...

I don't say that much but this was good. Here's what I liked.

1: Good characterizations I know a lot of people and have handled or been part of dozens of cheating situations and you got the anger right on. Different people deal with it differently. Some like this guy are matter of fact as soon as they see it the anger moves inward. No explosion just a clear determination that things are over.

2: Time changes things for some. In this case he found he still loved her and by not taking her character too far your readers still liked her and wanted her to get back.

3: Good dialogue. It flowed nice and gave a good account of the characters. I would suggest laying off the thoughts. The only thing that you should say in dialogue is said, otherwise it should all tell it's own tale.

4: Short and too the point you kept the plot moving and cut out all the stuff I don't care about as a reader. Well done a sharply honed knife fresh off the anvil.

Anonymous
Our Comments Policy is available in the Lit FAQ
Post as:
Anonymous