All Comments on '"For Better or Worse!"'

by carvohi

Sort by:
  • 317 Comments
AnonymousAnonymousover 8 years ago
Very good...

I don't say that much but this was good. Here's what I liked.

1: Good characterizations I know a lot of people and have handled or been part of dozens of cheating situations and you got the anger right on. Different people deal with it differently. Some like this guy are matter of fact as soon as they see it the anger moves inward. No explosion just a clear determination that things are over.

2: Time changes things for some. In this case he found he still loved her and by not taking her character too far your readers still liked her and wanted her to get back.

3: Good dialogue. It flowed nice and gave a good account of the characters. I would suggest laying off the thoughts. The only thing that you should say in dialogue is said, otherwise it should all tell it's own tale.

4: Short and too the point you kept the plot moving and cut out all the stuff I don't care about as a reader. Well done a sharply honed knife fresh off the anvil.

tazz317tazz317over 8 years ago
NAIVETY COMES OUT

and lets stupidity enter with destruction. TK U MLJ LV NV

LordSlamdawggLordSlamdawggover 8 years ago
Ditto on previous positive comment

Excellent dialogues with the Ying and Yang vantage points painfully well covered. The reconnection was touch and go , gradually occurring as credible amount of time occurred. The eagerness of the children to believe her half truths and evasions was spot on as well. Almost any white lie will do to keep family unit intact. Lessons were absorbed by all parties. Full marks. *****

avidfaavidfaover 8 years ago
Mature and real

so, prepare to get dumped on for that.

But, really, I could see his hands, his calluses, the discolored nail, the bent finger. A man, a worker, a builder of things and a builder of a life. That he caught on before anything happened, and acted to interrupt it in the earliest stages is certainly a testament to his sensitivity, isn't it? His response was novel, mature, restrained.

The story felt as real as cutting down branches and raking up leaves in the backyard this weekend. You set this story on a very unusual vector and kept to the line with a very deft touch. Really, a remarkable effort.

Ignore the BTB troglodytes and their rants. This was an incredibly real story.

AnonymousAnonymousover 8 years ago
Carvohi and harry must be ass buddies

Neither have any balls

doberincadoberincaover 8 years ago
Story of my life

Been there, did the same. But believe me, it's never been the same. Children go first.

AnonymousAnonymousover 8 years ago
Excellent read

I thought it was very real and sometimes uncomfortable, but then that's life.

The last few paragraphs really rang true.

mickymouse113mickymouse113over 8 years ago
Just A little thing

I had to do some research to find out what an Avalon is. Saying a Toyota or Toyota Avalon would have aided us non US readers but with Bing and Google a few minutes is all we need to find out.

AnonymousAnonymousover 8 years ago
not bad

I was expecting the usual wronged-man self-righteousness. And, up to about the middle of the 2nd page, that's what it looked like. The man who thinks in black and white, and without offering time for a moment's explanation from the evil wife he has already decided that the marriage is over. In a way, such behavior reflects an inability to cope.

The social context of such stories have always puzzled me. Where and how does such an attitude of intolerance come from? Coincidence or not, this story gives a possible explanation: the "Church", the hypocrisy of the Church. Conservative, controlling and yet utterly intolerant of transgressions even when forgiveness is preached as a defining virtue of the belief system.

Going by what has unfolded in this story, the result is a psychologically messed up view of the world, torn by contradictions.

I still don't have too much sympathy for the Harry's in this world. But at least this guy managed to get past his moralistic reflex and tried to pay some attention to the reality of the everyday life he had.

So, in the end, I was pleasantly surprised by a story with more psychological depth than the usual offering in this category.

sugnasugnaover 8 years ago
Church Cheating

Great subject! There are a lot of women that go to church without their husbands. They bring their children and get involved in church work and social activities. Soon, a significant part of their social life is as a single person, without a husband around. There are also a few men that go to church without their wives. It isn't long before these people find each other and natural attraction leads to friendship. Friendship between a man and a woman that do not socialize much with their spouses is an opportunity away from a sexual relationship. I have seen it come close to happening over and over again. Don't let your spouse go out drinking without you, and don't let your spouse spend hours socializing without you every week with other lonely people unless you want them to cheat on you. Marriage is a three legged race, you don't get very far or go very fast unless you are a team and work together.

impo_61impo_61over 8 years ago
Good story and I agree 100% with @sugna...

Good story and I agree 100% with @sugna...3*...Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to the writer and all his family, as to all teh LW readers and writers...

AnonymousAnonymousover 8 years ago
I blame myself...

...I really shouldn't read carvohi. He really is a wimp.

Anyway, I think the husband stayed with the slut mostly for the kids, and the story wasn't that bad.

Richie4110Richie4110over 8 years ago
Great Human Response

Loved the story and the way that the drama played out. This could easily turned the other more traumatic way and been resolved in a later renewal. Both ways would result in reader pleasure.

Always feel rewarded when I see a new carvohi offering. Thanks for sharing this effort and your talent.

palewriterpalewriterover 8 years ago
Wouldn't it be pretty to think so...

and i hope it works out.

There is no doubt that carvohi is a good writer so I can't comment. His male protagonists have martyr complexes and will consistently fall on their own swords to make their wives look better.

Forgiveness is a wonderful thing but it does not mean self sacrifice in propitiation for the misdeeds of another. He can never really trust her - she shattered that trust. He can recognize that and not let it rule his life. If thrown out the window that monkey will climb back in.

I hope they make it.

AnonymousAnonymousover 8 years ago
Well written!

Enjoyed this story. Thanks for a good read.

stev2244stev2244over 8 years ago
Great

A calm, well-written story about people trying to deal with a problem. No Navy Seals, willing cuckolds, international PI companies or Cayman accounts. Thanks for that. 5*

AnonymousAnonymousover 8 years ago
the man lost all self respect and took back in an adulterous lying wife who cheated in her hypocritical self righteous religion

He knew he had to divorce her and get on with his life after finding that his wife was a manipulating cheating slut. She had neither respect for her husband, belittled and portrayed him badly, and showed no love for him, her marriage, or her children. Yep turn tail and lay down and let her walk all over you, great lessons to teach your children! She was played but she is an adult and more than capable of saying no on many occasions, there is no excuse for her own actions.

Sidney43Sidney43over 8 years ago

A real down to earth story with a realistic ending taking into account the character development we were given. She was naive and fell under the spell of an experienced seducer who hid behind a mask of religion and concern about others. She wasn't the first and won't be the last. The author gave us a wife who had not yet engaged in extra marital sex, at least as some prominent people have defined it, but who had cheated in her mind, as another prominent person defined it. The extent of the cheating made it easier to forgive and that is what made it end correctly, at least for me. Gave you five stars.

AnonymousAnonymousover 8 years ago
oh dear, bonnie

Her life wasnt perfect, she needed more. What person in marriage cant come up with that bs. Gee, did she ever tell hubby he wasnt suave enough or didnt dress well enough or that she needed him home more? Did she ever ask him what more she could do to keep him perfectly happy? Yes, im sure she asked if he wanted anal or for her to swallow.

I'm betting you swallowed the bs of the smooth talking slick willey and obama too.

HarddaysknightHarddaysknightover 8 years ago
I enjoyed it.

It wasn't exciting, but it felt real. Good job.

oshawoshawover 8 years ago

Great story, carvohi.

AnonymousAnonymousover 8 years ago
@ anonymous - 'oh dear bonnie'

In reality, it probably isn't those things that make a guy lose his wife to a better man, it is more the quality of a man who actually is capable of spending time on a story site venting his spleen and feeling powerful for voting 1*.

Only a guess, though

Concritic123Concritic123over 8 years ago
Good story......

Cheating doesn't have to include or be limited to intercourse. When a person touches or allows another person to touch you, that's cheating. Was she banging the Viper guy? Probably. It doesn't matter. She was personal with him. She cheated the moment he touched her. And you never get the trust back. Not the kind you had before the cheating. You know, in the back of your mind, that they're not trustworthy.

elling50elling50over 8 years ago
Realistic

People are not perfect. A very common situation good described. I think it worth while working trough situations like this and try to save the marriage.

AnonymousAnonymousover 8 years ago
my only issue

I don't give a shit about the characters, they do what you make em do. My only issue with story us it's flow. It seemed to be hurky jerky for a while then there was a part just after he caught her that I had to speed read because it took me out of the story. Other than flow you did a fine job.

Rhsc1Rhsc1over 8 years ago
There's Always

Gray areas in life. Good true to life story of a normal family. Thanks for the tale...gave it a 5. Keep writing.

fifteen16fifteen16over 8 years ago
So Far

Only to the bottom of page 2 and it's apparent poor old Joyce is "away with the fairies", will continue reading.

Benedict12Benedict12over 8 years ago
The Reality of Human Failings

As he did so well in Hearth and Home Carvohi has cogently explored thecomplex dynamics of a marriage threatened by one partner's infidelity. It does not suggest moral equivalence to recognize that even the innocent party's inadvertent conduct can over time strain the bonds of affection. Obviously there are cases where the infidelity is so harmful,so destructive that the marriage can not be saved but when a desire to forgive is coupled with an honest evaluation of human frailty then all things are possible. A loving marriage is a wondrous creation that should not be lightly cast aside. As an insightful writer such as Carvohi grasps the true meaning of "for better or worse."

RapidResponderRapidResponderover 8 years ago
To err is human…

Forgiveness is an extremely complex animal…and doesn't necessarily imply relationship or even communication, for that matter. Most importantly, when I forgive you, I begin to heal myself. Good story!

AnonymousAnonymousover 8 years ago
Average story about not much.

A wife being seduced by a wolf. Seems illogical that she'd be that blind to his obvious advances. Especially with SO many people watching. But a happy, fairy tale ending. One comment about nothing - you don't build customs homes in the 3 months of summer. Take that to the bank from a long time Contractor. The only other question I have - I checked FTDS stories. No where did I see a finish to Revelations. In fact I'm worried about FTDS. He hasn't posted since much earlier this year. I hope he's still in good health and looking for stories to finish. SO many of them out there.

AnonymousAnonymousover 8 years ago

His favorite part of Thanksgiving was the cream pie.

SplitAcesSplitAcesover 8 years ago
Shit happens

At least it does with me. What can I say; Murphy and I are tight. My marriage has definitely seen Better and Worse. More than once, I've accused my helpmate of being a fair weather wife; but still, one week shy of our 37th anniversary, through better and worse, we're still together. But you seem to suggest that for better or worse means more than what the world may throw at us; that it may mean I should interpret a little infidelity as just a little more of the worse. If that is the case, I disagree. We can take strength from each other when circumstances try us; but adultery is an axe chopping the foundation out from under the marriage. This story was almost sanitized, kind of cute; and she didn't consummate the act. They had a family and an extended family close at hand, and Joyce still very nearly ruined it. But Harry stepped in and stopped it from going too far; and surely even you can acknowledge that it's possible to go too far? Perhaps, adultery can be a reasonable marker for that point of "too far"on the "how much shit am I expected to put up with before I get a divorce line?" Don't get me wrong, I liked this story and think that as written, Harry did the right thing; but at some point, no matter how much forgiveness you have in your heart; the marriage is gone, because it takes the husband and the wife to make a marriage.

AnonymousAnonymousover 8 years ago
I enjoy your stories

Great character depictions. good story line and story development. I enjoyed it.

BuzzCzarBuzzCzarover 8 years ago
A Hard Man to Like

I gave you a 5 for the story and the development of our intrepid protagonist. I feel like I know him and honestly, I don't think I like him very much. Maybe it's because there's not a lot of gray in my world. You pay a price for errors. The bigger the error the bigger the price. There has to be balance.

He seems to rationalize cheating as this minor bump in the road that can be rectified with just a "time out" at mom's and a somewhat uncomfortable few minute visit with the other man and his wife. Now she won't have to deal with any fallout at all and he can plod on. I can't see how life would have much sweetness for him, ever. Just another placid man accepting of whatever comes his way.

sbrooks103sbrooks103over 8 years ago
Thoughts

“He tells me I'm pretty. He says how young I look. He likes my hair. He says my eyes tell him things, like I'm young and pretty. He said I had a mischievous nature," – Of COURSE he tells you those things, he wants to get in your pants!

"He's a good kind man Harry." – Yeah, he’s SUCH a “good man” that he seduces married women.

She talks about what Kevin would do if she was his, but he HAS someone who IS his, and he is obviously neglecting HER to be with you!

She “promises” she won’t do it anymore; she already MADE that promise when they got married, we can see how much it meant to her!

Re: Toilet seats - I've said this before, but I don't see what the big deal is. The issue makes it seem that MEN don't ever need the seat down! What do women think men do if they go to take a shit and someone left the seat up? Here's a hint (They Put It DOWN!)

sbrooks103sbrooks103over 8 years ago
@Anonymous Re: not bad.

What “explanation”? Is there ANY explanation that can justify cheating? And as for “intolerance” – I’m glad YOU’RE so tolerant, I’d like to see how tolerant YOU are if your partner cheats on YOU!

AnonymousAnonymousover 8 years ago
Very Good.

As always this writer exhibits an adult mind. I enjoy what he or she writes.

AnonymousAnonymousover 8 years ago
The last writer caught it.

Carvohi writes for grown ups. Screwed up ones, of course, but who among us isn't?

aptonthe503aptonthe503over 8 years ago
Slice of Reality

Thanks Carvohi!

Very well done story. I think you captured many elements of life in this and presented them quite realistically. This wasn't a big emotional upheaval, but it felt like a story out of mid-America.

Thanks for the enjoyable read and please keep writing!

bruce22bruce22over 8 years ago
The title is fascinating

and the contents just as interesting. As always if you give a little you end doing things that you never though you would. My original thought that in our local language is just in sickness or in health which covers things like prison stretches or Parkinson's . In the present story it seems to more about can you cheat a little or is there a limit. Each one of us would have our personal definition. For me opening up her shirt alone with a man set off the Tilt. The comes the second question, can she be forgiven? She can, but should she? Does that mean anything? One interesting point was that he took into account her naivete and lack of experience with seducers to permit her to have a chance.

AnonymousAnonymousover 8 years ago
See, now that is a suitable ending.

One that perfectly fits the story being told. Low key, but enjoyable, and even original in addressing real emotions, insight and the trust breaking.

Not a hint of RAAC or BTB in aby noticeable capacity.

This is the kind of thing that pisses people like FTDS off. The story is done, but doesnt have the ending they want. BTB is fun in its own right, but dont let people like that dictate your storytelling. Their worldview of "one way or the other" is as toxic to writers as a bevy of free wheeling slut girlfriends is to a Lovin Wife. Fun for awhile, but they eventually brinng you down.

thecarolinadreamerthecarolinadreamerover 8 years ago

My hat is off to you Carvohi. You have written an excellent story despite a few typos. This story, expanded, is worthy of at least a Kindle book on Amazon. I have seen few of its equal here on Literotica.

What was so good about it? You painted a real life family on this canvas of 0”s and 1’s; a family that could well be the one next door. The kids were not little saints, the wife wasn’t a beauty contest winner, nor was the husband a combination of Brad Pitt and John Wayne.

Instead the husband was a hard working provider for his family, trying to give them everything they wanted—everything but himself. Almost every husband and father can see himself in your character. After the first few years we take our wives for granted. We walk out the door in the morning, give her a peck on the cheek, maybe a pat on the behind, and rush to work knowing the car payment is due or the kids need new shoes or some other ‘just gotta have thing.’ We get home tired and dirty; we drag in and flop down in the recliner in front of the TV. We don’t notice the new hairdo, or the new dress she has on just for us. When we get in bed and want to get it on and get it over with and she doesn’t respond like the girl in the movie, we never consider the hell the kids have put her through all day, everything from peeing on the floor to breaking her favorite vase, the one Great Aunt Nancy left her, the one that had been in the family since the Civil War.

The wife is no better; she starts to let herself go after the first couple years, she starts to notice all little things he does,, things that used to be cute but now serves only piss her off. She gets pissed when he wants sex without foreplay without ever considering it’s a two way street, that nothing says she can’t start teasing Ole John when they watch the late movie before going to bed. Instead, if Husband has to get to bed early so he can get up in the morning, she has no problem staying up to see the finish of a good chick flick. Of course she’ll then go to bed horny only to find him snoring, so she’ll fall asleep thinking about the handsome stud on the silver screen, or in this case the TV screen. Everything builds up so when it gets to the place they never go anywhere together and another man recognizes the gem that is the neglected wife and starts to restore the shine, of course she likes it. A smooth operator, such as you depicted here, can get close to such a wife and before she has time to think about it they’ll sweet talk her into thinking there’s nothing wrong with a little hand to tit play, and once that point is reached she’ll be right where the woman in your story was. From there a finger touches the right spot and leads the way to the point of no return. That’s right where you have your character break it up in the nick of time.

We can’t wrap this up without a few comments about those who have no shred of forgiveness in their hearts. In every case there are no innocent players, there are two sides to every story and a sinner in every saint. To that idiot who spouted off about the hypocrisy of the church, I recommend he try going regular and not sleep through the sermon. Oh yeah, it’ll help if he attends one of the mainstream churches. I can’t speak for all churches but I bet these remarks hold true as they do for the Southern Baptist. The SB teaches the doctrine of Christ; all the hypocrisy, lying adultery and what have you, comes from sinners doing just what sinners naturally do—sin. THE CHURCH IN NO WAY CONDONES SUCH ATTITUDES.

Each human will have to answer for their sins, whether they believe it or not. This includes the BTB crowd and our commentator. Fortunately the church goer who pays attention to the sermons learns how to prepare for this ultimate Q&A session.

If I keep going my comment will be as long as your story, so let me wrap this up by saying once again “EXCELLENT WORK.”

LickideesplitLickideesplitover 8 years ago
Another keeper!

Carvohi spins a compelling yarn. Those always have a moral worth considering, and adding to one's 'What IF ...' option list!

"What? You don't keep such an option list? Better to have a list you never need than it is to suddenly find out that you need one and flubber about while still in an emotional fog!"

5* (of course!)

thecarolinadreamerthecarolinadreamerover 8 years ago
PS to my long comment

Sugna is right on.

Pappy7Pappy7over 8 years ago
The fact that the guy from church had

soft hands, newer and more hip clothing and smelled like a woman was indication of a greater lack of respect and love for her husband than was indicated here. A lot of women will marry a hard working, middle classed man and are happy to take the security and the quality of life that a steady paycheck offers. Yet sometimes when they go to work for some "professional" people in an office somewhere or meet men at church or school functions who don't have the appearance of laborers they have the tendency to begin comparing their husbands to these "upper class" really nice men. And since they don't have bills and kids and other marriage stresses in common with the wife they seem to be easier going and always "on" so to speak whereas the husband is not always "on". Comparison of apples and oranges and it will never be favorable to the husband once the wife has begun to think this way. Saw it happen over and over in a job that I had that was considered by many to be low classed but paid very well. Husbands would send their wives to school, often working 2 jobs and taking the majority of the load at home on themselves only to be dumped when the wife went to work as a legal secretary or a nurse or any of the jobs where lawyers and doctors were working and put stars in their eyes. I know that the same circumstances as far as the kids and the bills and the stress at home can cause men to stray, but this wasn't about them, was it. I was really impressed at the way the author of this piece seemed to understand that happening and portrayed it very well. Thanks for the story.

gmann57gmann57over 8 years ago

one of your better stories

AnonymousAnonymousover 8 years ago
Now that's what I call a well done story

Very few writers n this site can write this type of story. Thanks for the read . At least in this case all swell that ends well.

AnonymousAnonymousover 8 years ago
It's these kind of stories and authors

that make Loving Wives worth visiting. Too bad they're far and in between. Look at LW's highest scoring stories list. What type of stories rate the highest? Who are the authors? Nothing more needs to be said. Draw your own conclusion. Entertaining, well written story. Somehow I always feel a little better when a story ends, maybe not perfect, but well. Thank you author. Your kind of story telling is always welcome, at least by this reader. (5* Story) ML

P.S. It's sad to read some of the feedback and personal attacks on author and other readers. Is this what public feedback has become, a battle ground for personal attacks? Wasn't it created to express constructive feedback and opinions on the story. Those that never have tried writing a story, have no idea how much effort and time it takes to come up with an original theme and write it well. Please think before you pull the sword from the scabbard.

TheUnoriginalistTheUnoriginalistover 8 years ago
So

A pretty strong story, overall. Slid a bit in the second half, but mostly because of minor asides that weren't needed (like her hospital visit-producing panic attack). The core was good.

I love the little ways you made her a character, and not just something for him to steamroll over. The line about her using her cell phone as a whip, to keep others in line was magnificent. It said a lot in a very effective way.

One thing: skid marks seem to pop up a weird amount in LW stories. I'm genuinely baffled by the realization that this might be a problem people have in real life.

katibkatibover 8 years ago
Really?

I did not care for the personality of the husband, but his crudities were a necessary offset to the wife's virtues. You are a good writer; so I was surprised to read: "She's really officious; nothing, I mean nothing interferes with her scheduled plans."

Does "officious" convey the meaning that you intended?

mike9698mike9698over 8 years ago
or worse

i could come up with a few things i didnt like about this. instead ill just say this. what kind of asshole drives a viper to church. also i got the impression that this was a small town. okay what kind of small town has a company big enough that has middle management that can afford a viper. ive spent a lot of years in small towns. there aint shit in them. ps a love viper's they are my second favorite car next to a shelby cobra.

AnonymousAnonymousover 8 years ago
One of your best!

Glad to see you writing again. With Ohio, Papa Toad and other writers of this genre no longer writing, you're assuming the title of King of the LW stories.

AnonymousAnonymousover 8 years ago
Thank you!

I'd like to thank you for your time and effort first. Also for putting a few things in perspective for me. Something similar has happened with to my marriage of 20+ years. We made it through the feelings and emotions that come with such a thing. In the end we both have found out that in the grand scheme of life and love! We love each other more now than ever before! So author, keep doing what you do because you have made at least two people think back from then to now. And now is better. Thank you!

AnonymousAnonymousover 8 years ago
Carvohi excells in maintaining a well crafted narrative voice that..

embodies the main character perfectly. I don't hear carvohi speaking; instead I hear the fictional Harry, and can easily imagine him talking to me directly about his "life story".

This skill is HARD to find executed quite as deftly as Carvohi manages it time and again. The proof is that his characters (while admittedly similar in construction) all SOUND different, and that individuality shines through.

This comment is to spotlight THAT specific aspect of your writing. Many authors here can take a lesson from your work in that regard. Even writers like DFWBeast (as an example of someone whose stories I enjoy) write decent stories, but have characters that sound exactly alike. Perhaps JPB is the best example of this. With every hubby character named Rob, working at XYZ corp., and losing it to Pauline French, it is far too easy to think that it is actually the same guy appearing in every story. So again, Carvohi, thank you for populating your story with DIFFERENT people, who STILL manage to seem authentic. And the secret lies in the vernacular, and style employed through the dialogue.

OK, as to whether these two should have stayed married? Well.......

As to what was the real story behind her lies and betrayal? Well.......

I learned awhile back, to take most of Carvohi's stories at face value. If she is that naive, and silly, well then that is EXACTLY how she is. Once more, it is the sure footed consistancy used in the voice that you give to her character development that makes it believable. If you say so.......then it applies. It seems that Carvohi has learned quite a bit about folksy homespun yarns like those produced by SWMO Hermit and others of his ilk.

I think that this isn't the type of story that I would write, so any suggestions as to possible improvment is a waste. However, since I enjoyed it, could stay with it, and BELIEVE it, damn sir, you must have done something right! 5 stars for effectiveness. And all of my appreciation for your skills. Thankyou for your many contributions here. You've come along way in the last few years, for sure!

Till the next..........

AnonymousAnonymousover 8 years ago
not your best

ok, so I've come to see a trend in your stories, sometimes the happy ever after route works, but not for this story. To me it felt just too.... syrupy, almost Stepford wives type of vibe.

I think that technically, your writing is great, but you seem to ( at least to me) to lack the ablility to have the male protagonists in your stories to unleash their angst ! Its a just go along to get along mentality that they seem to always convey that simply doesn't strike me as an authentic human egocentric realistic way of reacting to what is a earthshattering experience ! If that same scenario had happened to me, or 95% of the men that I know, there would have been a Holy Hell raising scene in the church !

Don't get me wrong, because I will still read every story you post on this sight, and I do truly appreciate your obvious talent as a writer, but occasionally have one of your male characters throw a real, old fashion, throwing shit, cursing hissy fit ! lol chuckle !!!

luedonluedonover 8 years ago
A story that held my interest

all the way through to the end. It was the author's descriptions of the family interactions that took it beyond just husband-wife problems.

It would have been interesting if carvohi as author had taken the wife's wandering that one step further to the point where she admitted that penis had entered vagina. That seems to be the step along the slippery slope beyond which recovery becomes really challenging in LW stories.

L

TwentysevenTwentysevenover 8 years ago
Fiction not Fantasy

Far too many contributors to this site confuse fiction with fantasy. Unless a writer caters to their comic book fantasies they get upset. Instead, carvohi writes fiction involving believable characters and credible outcomes. Long may he continue.

DFWBeastDFWBeastover 8 years ago
Extremely Well Done!

Thought this was one of your best JC. Know you've been hammered in past about being longwinded (lol) but I thought this one was not only well written but got to the points of your story quickly and effectively. Very subline, low key but still full of emotion.

Vague info on just how far the indescretion went added enough doubt to muddy the water. Wife's need to be validated by her roles in church and by being the 'air traffic controller' within the family made her diminished capacity in those areas painful for her.

Male lead was like a LOT of the Germanic, Scandinavian farmers I grew up around up North. Not the way I would've liked to seen him react (I prefer public humiliation if not BTB) but very much in character with main lead (keep it private, noboby's business).

Would've liked to have seen the fallout with the 'ladies' of the church. Regardless of how far it had gone, her role in her old home church was trashed and she would've born the Scarlet A whether she fully deserved it or not.

Would also have liked him to push for full semi-public disclosure on how far the indecretion went before any reconciliation (perhaps in front of Mom and old pastor?) Pastor would've gotten involved before she ever held a position in the church again, regardless of denomination.

Anyway, excellent job!

sugnasugnaover 8 years ago
Years Later the Test of Time

Many relationships that seem to make it through adultery really do not. They are un-dead marriages. The trust is gone, the love is a fading memory and each day that the marriage continues the corpse stinks worse than the day before. If it goes on long enough, perhaps it will become a dried, dehydrated mummy marriage. Musty, but not too stinky. People can live with all kinds of disgusting things and situations. Most of the time, a heavy dose of daily denial is needed to block out the truth of the situation. Tell yourself the same lie everyday and train yourself to live like it is the truth, and you can survive anything. Survive, but not thrive. Live, but not love. Why chose this path?

AnonymousAnonymousover 8 years ago
Stepfordwifeesque

I concur with the comment regarding the behavior of Wife being somewhat stilted. Can someone really be as dumb as she is. I don't think Wife ever really "got it." She never seemed t grasp how bad what she was. Apparently not having intercourse (assuming for arguments sake that is true) makes her lying, romancing and having a very inappropriate relationship carried out in church no big deal. The only explanation is that she lived a totally sheltered life and is real dumb. Or a good actor.

Still a good story as far as mechanics and a solid 4.5.

anon.1

AnonymousAnonymousover 8 years ago
A very common plot, but a very original rendition.

The wife was seduced by a shallow smarmy player, and didn't realize she was already opening herself to a new lover. She did not emphasize the sex, but the emotional appeal and romantic attraction. Clearly, here cheating was a symptom, not the problem. She had lost respect and no longer cherished her husband, and was too stupid and shallow to realize she had allowed that respect and romance to dissipate without confronting her husband with her discontent. The problem is not her lack of morality or ethics. The problem is her lack of intelligence. She's just too stupid and lazy to be a true loyal wife. If she can continue to be a decent fuck, house partner, money manager, and parent, then he might want to hang around for a while. But eventually he will grow weary of maintaining the female who is a child in a woman's body. I would predict the marriage will last until one of them grows weary with the distrusting and remorseful atmosphere, or till one of them finally meets an appealing alternative relationship. The Melrose prick will stay in touch and still make a run at her, which she might still be vulnerable to. But the husband will relentlessly become more and more aware that he is married to a shallow stupid woman, who might do anything, or nothing. And why should he hang around waiting for the other shoe to fall?. If he sees a better opportunity I think he might go for it. Doesn't really matter. If she ends up being a good wife, he wins. If he ends up finding a better woman, he wins. She's a loser either way.

gatorhermitgatorhermitover 8 years ago
Realistic portrayal

Perhaps the husband should have thrown her out and upgraded. Realistic portrayal of a gullible woman, a sleezy perp, and a slow slide into uneasy reconciliation.

AnnetteBishopAnnetteBishopover 8 years ago
Very nice story

I like your writing. Thank you for sharing. xoxoxox Annette

Harryin VAHarryin VAover 8 years ago
..."Oh yes; I think you'd like him." REALLY?? 4 ****

I would have to say that this COULD of been this author BEST story to date so far. That is premised on the idea that the wife did not actually have sex with his other guy at church. Assuming that is the case than I don't see why the reconciliation would not work.

Of course are some holes or flaws in the story. After they go and confront Mr Melrose and his... Claire realizes that he lied to he but that revelation seems pretty subdued. Claire seems to be upset that the other guy lied to her and not that upset that she came close to throwing her entire marriage away based upon a series.

2ND-- throughout the story Claire never actually confesses what she did with this other guy. That is a problem with the ending of the story and the reconciliation. Its hard to reconcile based on no information

But I think with the story really excels at is at the bottom of page 1 where Harry is going through the significance of the house and the backyard and the gazebo and what it all means and how it the marriage is now nothing but a massive lie --from his point of view.

chytownchytownover 8 years ago
Wow This Story Contains Some Serious Writing*****

Now this is a story that a person can believe happen. Thanks for sharing.

betrayedbylovebetrayedbyloveover 8 years ago
Realistic

This could actually be a true story. Joyce was a little naïve, wait, she was a lot naïve. This Melrose asshole was a player. This is where the fiction begins. He would not be waiting to screw around. Wouldn't settle for a little feel. He was in it all the way. "Welcome to the Hotel California." Oh well.

Four Stars

fifteen16fifteen16over 8 years ago
Others

Others have said it all but feel compelled to comment, good writing, full of drama and emotion. The story of a woman committed to her family and beliefs while being naïve about the ways of this often wicked world. One might ask how could she be taken in by Melrose, but the cleverest of people are duped by confidence tricksters in differing scenarios everyday. However her belief and commitment to family should have been her protection which suggest to me a very deep rooted psychological problem that needs confronting, it is easy to blame lack of attention by hubby, but she has a tongue in her head that she used very well to organise hubby and children so it makes one a little suspicious of her naivety, and yes this could be a true story, am just glad she is not my wife, hmmm, late again, I wonder where she is!.

overthehillmedicoverthehillmedicover 8 years ago
Interesting story

If she could fall for a new face in town, I am sure she has had a lawyer or two on the side. I find it hard to believe that Melrose was the first guy she had lip locked with after her marriage. Good write. As always Please keep writing... I am still hoping you do finish revelations. 5 *

FD45FD45over 8 years ago
One of the things I like was addressed in this story

For a lot of stories, the husband sits around on his hands and waits for 'proof'. Does she fuck or doesn't she? (The answer, almost always, is yes)

In this story, the man was very proactive to stop things in their tracks. But in some ways, that leaves him in a MORE uncertain situation than a guy who sees her in the back seat with her legs waving in the air.

I suppose the uncertainty can actually make it more easy to reconcile in some ways.

The story certainly had carvohi's voice. And only he would call 4 pages a 'quickie'. But he added some nice details and characterization which added flavor without getting overly treacle-y. I would prefer if his male characters took a slightly more active tone. Every story seems to feel like a man talking someone off of a ledge or speaking to a small skittish child in tone. Apologetic is an adjective I would use for it.

Those who get worked up about self respect and pride are ignoring that there are very large negatives which come with divorce. There are benefits to reconciliation which only the thoughtless would ignore. Are they sufficient?

This is certainly far better than the story where EVERYONE IN TOWN got on the ass of the husband after the wife fucked around for months. That was offensive. This was, in many ways, much more moral, thoughtful, respectful of all the actors and good. Yes. Good. I liked the fact that the husband made the wife tell the other woman. I think carvohi took a cowards way out by glossing over that conversation. I mean...we get back and forth with the kids saying the exact same thing for half a page but THAT conversation was abbreviated? It is because he eschews the hard confrontations that his stories read a little slow and unexciting. Every single conflict point: the cheating, facing the wife at the house afterward, the mom, confronting the Melroses...the protag backs away and goes as softly as possible (that voice thing). The display of pain was also muted.

It's his story. I liked this story. It should have higher marks than it has, IMO.

AnonymousAnonymousover 8 years ago
I normally don't commit on stories but....

I loved the writing style of the author. But I have a real problem with one sentence in the story. " She wouldn't look at me. Whatever it was she was about to say I knew it wouldn't be true." huh ok. We have this statement from hubby, and then later in the story it's a given that she didn't bump ugly with Mr smooth? Just kissing and touching. YEA RIGHT!

AnonymousAnonymousover 8 years ago
Very nice

The story has a nice, easy pace, plot and character development seem effortless. I am grateful for having read a cheating wife tale without all the drama that accompanies most of them. Well done, and thank you.

AnonymousAnonymousover 8 years ago
Those that can..

will, without fail.

sdc97230sdc97230over 8 years ago
Sounds as if Joyce learned from her mistake just in time

She was certainly naive and unable to see through her would-be seducer's tricks.

For Harry, the future is most likely some variation of "trust but verify." Joyce will probably not make any deliberate decisions to cheat on him, but he will have to keep on top of who she meets and interacts with.

AnonymousAnonymousover 8 years ago
Good story, well done 5*

Pretty realistic. I would have liked a little more contrition from her and more discussion of the affair between them so they could move on.

KenfromIndyKenfromIndyover 8 years ago
Well written story

Good reading experience worth the time reading your work / effort as always. Please keep writing and I will keep reading! Yes I did give it a 5.

AnonymousAnonymousover 8 years ago

I think she did more with him than she admitted . Once the lying starts there's no telling what's true and what's not. If he was ten minutes later without making noise he would of walked in on the guys dick in her somewhere. He had her and he knew it and she was easy prey. I might be a hard ass but it would be over for me

phd70phd70over 8 years ago
Realistic tale about a marriage that was damaged, but was given a second chance. 4 stars.

Divorces have great costs for the kids, and this tale showed how a middle road may be found which gives the marriage a second chance, but certainly weakens the spouses' relationship and TRUST. Husband is willing to give it another try, balancing the good and the bad. He will keep an eye out for future evidence, but will not make his suspicion a life dominating, or self destroying practise/behavior. Thanks, Carvohi. Dan

patilliepatillieover 8 years ago
That is a no brain fiver

Nicely done, super realistic, good insight into the situation and a solid ending. I am sure you will get some guff over the reconciliation, but it was a good one. Dont like not knowing just what she and Melrose got up to, but that is what makes it realistic.

AnonymousAnonymousover 8 years ago
fantastic writer

The author is well versed. I do enjoy his stories. I kinda wonder about the silliness of calling maple a trash tree. Obviously he doesn't know shit about wood.

Still a good writer even if he can't tell an ash from an oak...

AnonymousAnonymousover 8 years ago
While not lurid or crass (well, too much), it was an interesting look...

....into a marriage returning from the brink.

It could well have been my story.....except that once thinking she was back and all was well, my wife got stupid again less than a year later. The first time, I was up front, honest and open about the confrontation and decisions in the aftermath. This time, not so much.

She came home from work one night a couple weeks after I'd figured it out to find all her clothes and prized possessions engulfed in a bonfire in the front yard with a poster of her and her boy toy going at it.....the restraining order prevented her from making a nuisance (well mostly) of herself, and the really not very clever banking I'd done kept my finances secure until the court could do their worst.....and the rest, as they say, is history.

I almost always enjoy your stories, as they have that touch of human nature that allows us as readers to accept the oddities in the story without much fuss. I say this, because we come, in a few short paragraphs to care enough about one or more of the characters to want to find out what happens next. Also, your way of narrating the story in the first person, throwing in several 'guy-isms' makes the narrator more accessible and likable.

Thank you, this one was a keeper!

AnonymousAnonymousover 8 years ago
LOL

Can I get the pills ppl are taking? You know the ones that are saying this is realistic or super realistic? I'd love to experience their fantasy land. Does anyone else not notice the MC inconsistency? I think the first 2 pages were like "my marriage is over" "my marriage is done" blah blah etc etc then when he takes action its "I'm not divorcing you" or something like that.

Drbeamer3333Drbeamer3333over 8 years ago
Enjoyed it

Thanks for the offering. Did you say that FTDS has finished Revelations? I don't see it posted.

AnonymousAnonymousover 8 years ago
4*s

About time you posted something like this story. Gave you 4*s .

I understand the husband . He gave us enough insight about his wife , that the reader can understand her.Just like he, finally did . You did very well developing the relationships with the children , in-laws , and even church . A family doesn't live in a vacuum . I like the dialogue , it really reflected the thinking of the characters.

This was like the Carvohi of 2012 or so . That's a compliment on your writing !

As usual you were writing a "realistic " story . I realize alot of your earlier stories were more fantastic but, this was just as entertaining .

I didn't agree with everything the husband did or thought .Some of his actions were stupid, but realistic (sic).

His wife never confessed honestly about all that occurred . He didn't need it but she definitely does . That they never got psychiatric /professional help for her feelings later on, would be a mistake in real life . Feelings of guilt , a need for atonement is real and bad things happen when they're repressed .

That doesn't really matter here, it's your story . A realistic one, with a happy ending .

Who doesn't like that ,lol ?!

Good job Carvohi. You left me ....

AMerryman

AnonymousAnonymousover 8 years ago
Limp

Thanks for writing. Honestly you've done much better. This story just limped along with no real emotion. Blah hum bug.

AnonymousAnonymousover 8 years ago
It Really Is All About Trust

Trust is a funny thing. Once broken, it can sometimes be patched up, but never actually completely fixed. Think of it as a brand new car. As time goes by, the car develops problems. You replace old parts with new ones and, if you are lucky, you may get the car running again. But it will NEVER be like it was in the beginning. I was in a relationship like the one told here. I felt unimportant and overlooked by an otherwise good man. Another man stepped into the picture and showed me the attention I craved. He said all the right words. He was patient. He gradually became my lover. We were caught further along than Joyce and Kevin. It ruined our marriage. I ran into my ex recently and we had coffee. He told me he missed me and he would always love me in ways. But the day trust died, the marriage died. And death is final.

AnonymousAnonymousover 8 years ago
too funny

what a wimp, lets call this little boy chuck from now on....the whore won

AnonymousAnonymousover 8 years ago
Tastey!

Yeah, she definitely blew this guy before hubby caught on. Definitely. Hot and salty cum blasting into the back of her throat, and she went nuts for it.

That being said, the best part of the execution of the story was a believable reconciliation (taking for granted the hard-to-believe pseudo confession of wifey). For the husband to admit he had ignored his wife's needs and then do something to get her engine running again is the only thing that might actually work for the future.

On the other hand, although her penance seemed believable, as one commenter stated, it might actually have been better to go semi-public and get her priest involved.

But why are men so fucking artless and downright stupid about paying their women the necessary attention? The thing the story doesn't say is that he really DID fuck up before her. Yeah, for realZ. Yes, her sin was the greater. She comes off naive, evasive, superficial, etc. But any man that lets his hot piece of ass go off the radar is a limp-dick fool. Yeah, you heard me. What would you expect to happen?

Men, keep your dicks hard and your game on and this type of thing won't happen.

AnonymousAnonymousover 8 years ago
Smellrose

Lead .my naive wife down the garden path? I'd have bitch slapped the lavender off his face the very day I found them.

harbormaster1harbormaster1over 8 years ago
best story in a long time

He should have taken care of business. She had her tits out, this was not the first time. Get a grip...mind the gap....get him when he least expects it and wail the shit out of him.....stiff upper lip indeed.....Winston said it best .."Take one with you".

ramonbrookramonbrookover 8 years ago
I enjoyed the story, but .....

I didn't think she acted sorry enough! It was almost like she thought it was not as bad as Harry made it out to be.

I think some of while she was at her parents should have Ben in the story.

stormbreyerstormbreyerover 8 years ago
This is a loving wife story?

Just another sad story about a male control freak who took his wife for granted until she made a mistake, then, rather than dealing with it like a man, uses his kids as emotional pawns to inflict as much mental cruelty on her as he can. She would have been better off to leave him when she had the chance. Now he gets to hold this affair (hugging and kissing?) over her head for the rest of their lives.

Maybe this story of emotional dominance and submission should be in a different category?

AnonymousAnonymousover 8 years ago
A combination of characters

What a combination of characters and events. The Wife, about half-way through their discussion, starts to really come off as simple minded. Can she demean her husband anymore? Back up a bit though, and when the grandmother was in the kitchen and stated that "there had been rumors", that struck me as well. What Mom, the grandmother in this case, is going to hear rumors of a childs self-destruction, and not do anything about it? In the end, I didn't really get the sense that the wife was anywhere near being in love with her husband, but that he was just more of a security blanket.

rick_ohrick_ohover 8 years ago
Good story

Quite realistic. Really, no one is usually a saint in a marriage. People are always changing, always in a state of becoming. Not to be a "grammar nazi" but the frequent use of apostrophes where none is required was, frankly, distracting. I think the husband did all the right things, given the circumstances. The wife finally realized that Kevin was trying to take advantage. Both of them telling Kevin's wife was good.

OnethirdOnethirdover 8 years ago
Balanced

Another very nice story, Carvohi. I am a sucker for reconciliations. While it seems that women, especially attractive ones, should be used to come-ons, Joyce has had a sheltered life and mid life is where these things can happen. It's a good thing she didn't get so far as to start lying and going down that sad path. I have empathy for all the characters and there isn't pro forma demonization (except a bit for lavender boy). Just a nice balanced story that I enjoyed.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 8 years ago
More sex

Nice read for the Saturday evening post. I need headboards banging here.

Pappy7Pappy7about 8 years ago
Re-read and man

it's still spot on as far as I'm concerned. Well Uncle Jed, you should keep up the good work. Maybe write the book that everyone that writes on here talks about. The "cheater's handbook". Might be fun for you and even funner for us. Thanks again.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 8 years ago
Male Predators

This Melrose guy is just like the male predictors that I use to see at work. These married +40 year old guys would be hitting on the new hires who were in their early twenties. They would slowly sweet talk them into bed. It usually took sometime before they got them into bed but they were always persistent. All that I could do is sit back and watch during coffee breaks. I tried to intervene with one young lady and a much older executive Vice President in my company who hit on her. I told her that I and the two friends that I was with would be witnesses in any legal action that she would take for sexual harassment. She just laughed and said that it was nothing. Well he kept at her for a period of time and I think her divorce proceedings have now started. She was very naive. You would think that women would be intelligent enough to see through this sort of thing but a lot of them fall for these handsome smooth talking guys. Later they regret what happened but it is too late.

carvohicarvohiabout 8 years agoAuthor
To male predators

This is why you shouldn't be anonymous. Your comment almost literally wrote an outline I have for a pretty good story.

Jedd Clampett

TlailaxuTlailaxuabout 8 years ago
And here lies...

...the fundamental issue. For me that's a dead end. From a reader point of view, this is a really well written piece and I meant it, but as a self conscious human being, that has moral beliefs and views about certain things in life, I would not have allowed her back in my life. Forgive? Not sure about that, it's mentioned I a story that she was a typical house wife, light part time job, church and all that. Husband was the provider, he did his duty to family, she betrayed him AND the family, she put her immature ego ahead of her children and husband. And as one of the commentators said, husbands BTB approach is a sign of inability to cope? Sorry, did I miss something, but is is exactly the opposite in my eyes. If I am strong enough to recognise the betrayal and to face the consequences and live through all the bad times and come out still being able to have a life THAT IS COPING. And someone else said that wife didn't lie...please do read the story again, then check the definition of lie in a dictionary, use Websters dictionary or Oxford, then tell us if she didn't lie...

maedhros21maedhros21about 8 years ago
FTDS

I cannot seem to find and conclusion to Revelations by FTDS in his story list as you said in opening can you let me know what the title is?

Anonymous
Our Comments Policy is available in the Lit FAQ
Post as:
Anonymous