Fortune and Fortitude Pt. 01

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

He thought about what Annika had said. "Are you asking for my help?"

She winced. "I guess so. I don't know much about you, and it's honestly kind of a suicide mission. But if you were willing to help, I wouldn't really be opposed."

He rubbed his eyes. "Can I have some time to think it over?"

"Of course." She hesitated. "You're really not going to tell anyone?"

"No. I don't lie."

She raised an eyebrow. "Then what if someone asks you?"

"I won't answer."

She scoffed. "What if they threatened you?"

He shook his head. "Then I would take the heat. Socrates said something about that. 'Better to be harmed than to do harm.' Something like that."

She stared at him. "You are a weird man, Jared. She glanced behind at the windows. "I guess I've kept you long enough. I'm sure Ria is dying to talk to you." She nodded and walked back. "See you later."

"See you."

Within seconds he heard the telltale sounds of footsteps sounding behind him. He turned to face the approacher.

Another girl? This one was blonde, with medium length hair curling gently to her shoulder blades. Her green eyes twinkled curiously. Unlike the other two, she was dressed in a more typical fashion, with a high rise green skirt and a white blouse that hung a bit open, displaying her cleavage.

He focused in on her eyes. "You must be Ria."

She smiled. "Did Kiara tip you off?"

"Yeah. How many of you are there?"

She came over to stand next to him and put her arms on the railing, looking out over the property. "Three in total. Have you met Annika yet?"

He nodded. "I met with her first."

"Ah."

Her lips twitched. "Have they already made their offers?"

He thought for a moment. "I guess so. Should I have been expecting that?"

She giggled. "You weren't? It's what we do. Deals, deals, deals. It's how we stay ahead."

"Are you going to make me a deal?"

She tilted her head. "I suppose."

"What's that supposed to mean?"

She turned to face him, reclining on the railing. "I'm not going anywhere after the apocalypse. I'm going to stay with Jessica."

"Jessica?" A flash of recognition. "Miss Senguine?"

"I'm surprised you didn't know that."

"What do you mean you're staying with her?"

Ria grinned cheekily. "Just that. She's smarter than most demons out there. I'd rather take my chances being her lifelong supporter and friend than go out there on my own." She stared off into the distance wistfully. "So long as I prove useful, she'll keep me around."

Jared reflected on that. There was wisdom there. All of this talk about breaking off and doing his own thing scared him, honestly. A week ago he'd just been another student. Deep down, he was still just looking around for an adult to help him.

"What about after that? Don't you ever want to leave? Go off on your own?" He had no idea what he was talking about, but he did his best to.

She blushed. "Of course. I'm just... not ready. None of us are, really." She looked up to him. "When it's time, I'm hoping I've found someone else to serve."

He raised an eyebrow. "So..."

She shifted. "So... Why don't you stay with us? It's dangerous out there. And Jessica is really kind. Probably one of the best demons you'll ever meet. Of course, don't tell her I said that. Kiara and Annika are ambitious, sure, but they're also reckless. You'd be taking your chances with them."

"What if I don't make a deal with any of you?" he asked innocently.

She shrugged. "That'd be your choice. We all have deals with each other -- that's what keeps us safe. If none of us need you, then you'll be down an ally."

Yeah, he couldn't really risk that. Especially since he had no idea what he was doing.

He sighed. "So why is everyone so eager to make a deal with me? I'm nothing special." At least, that was the assumption.

"We don't know your agenda. From what Jessica says about you, it sounds like you haven't really decided what you're going to do yet."

"So... Each of you wants me to join YOUR agenda."

She beamed at him. "Right! See, you're getting the idea. It would be nice having an ally, not just a deal with some others. You get it, right?"

He nodded. "I guess that makes sense." He was getting a headache. "So there's no one else I need to talk to?"

Ria thought for a moment. "Nope. Why?"

He yawned and stretched his arms. "Then I should probably get going. It's been a while."

Ria nodded her agreement. "Just... think about it. Carefully. Alright?"

"Alright. See you later."

He went down the stairs and through the party without interruption. Man, he was exhausted. How could people party this late? It must be 2 or 3 am by now. He stumbled his way over to his car and started the drive home.

He was positive it wasn't safe to be driving in this state. Forget driving drunk -- driving tired? Completely unsafe. Thankfully, he made it back in one piece.

He made his way to the door, his mind in a bit of a haze. "Quinn?" he asked as he opened the door. "I'm back."

He was greeted by silence. His stomach clenched. Why had he let her stay in his house? Frantically he started searching the rooms. "Quinn? Where are-"

He stopped. There she was, curled up on the couch. She hadn't even changed out of her clothes, and she was out like a light. He breathed a sigh of relief and sat down next to her.

"Boy, I'm glad you're alright," he murmured, reaching out to stroke her hair. "You really had me scared there for a second."

She looked so peaceful. He smiled down at her.

"Sweet dreams, Quinn.

"We've got a lot to talk about tomorrow."

PLEASE READ THE FOLLOWING:

I haven't decided who's plan he's going with. YOU GUYS GET TO PICK! Vote which route you want him to take -- and don't forget to include ideas if you have them!

Thank you guys! Mwah!