Fortune and Fortitude Pt. 02

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Eight barrow-fulls and two hours later, Kiara called for a halt. She held up a hand as she caught her breath.

"Kiara, I want to know more about your plan." She looked up at him, scowling, but he cut her off. "Ria and Annika already have told me about theirs. If you can't tell my anything, I'm not going to make a deal with you."

She pursed her lips. "You're bluffing."

He chuckled. "You think I can bluff? I'm serious."

She straightened and crossed her arms. "So am I. I'm not about to risk the safety of my operation for a small chance at getting an ally. You either want to help humans, or you don't."

He shook his head. "It's not like that. I have a fr -- I have friends, human ones, that I need to protect above all else." Quinn's smiling face filled his mind. "You said yourself that your plan was risky. I need to know more before I can risk their lives for the sake of a bunch of strangers."

Her face softened. "You have human friends?" She dipped her head. "I'd like to meet them, someday."

After a moment of thought, she nodded. "Very well. Come with me." She strode purposefully towards the barn as Jared trailed behind her.

She walked in and pulled a tarp off of a bundle of crates. After prying off one of the lids, she reached in and retrieved a large blue parchment.

His eyes widened as she unrolled it. "I'm not willing to divulge the location of my base, but you can see the schematics for yourself." She inspected the blueprint closely.

It was large, running thousands of feet across in either direction. "Right now I'm having to cut costs -- Money is less the issue than sufficient disguise. I'm decently powerful, but I'm only one demon. I don't know exactly how powerful you are, but anything would help. I'm thinking I could double the number of passengers, so long as you're decently powerful."

It was meticulous. "How long have you been working on this?"

She shrugged. "Since my sixteenth birthday. I only started construction a few years ago, on my eighteenth birthday, since I couldn't legally purchase property until then. But I've been designing this for much longer."

He shook his head, impressed. "Why? Why are you doing this? Do you have human friends?"

She shook her head. "I was raised demon. Jessica forbid trifling with humans when I was younger, and since then I've had little opportunity to do so." She hesitated. "As for my intentions... You know of the noumena, yes?"

When he nodded, she continued. "Have you ever wished that you could have that? They are immortal in a truer sense than we are. Sure, some of us have long lifespans, but we all die eventually. They live on."

Jared shifted uncomfortably. "How can you know that?"

She lifted herself onto one of the crates and sat down. "Jessica took us all to a hospital when we were younger. Taught us how to feel when the soul leaves." She closed her eyes. "That's exactly what it feels like. Not the end of a life, but the departure of an infinite being." She opened her eyes. "It's not the same when a demon dies." Kiara shuddered and wrapped her arms around herself. "It's terribly undramatic. Kind of like watching a slug shrivel when it gets salted. It's miserable and pathetic."

He listened patiently. He got the feeling she didn't get to talk about it much.

"I envy the humans. No matter how awful or miserable their experience is here, there will be more for them. What exactly, I don't know, but I doubt it can be worse than here." She kicked her legs. "I'd give anything to live into the eternities." She sighed. "The closest thing I can do is to save them. They are worth so much more than us, Jared. And if they remember me..." She closed her eyes and smiled. "I could live on forever."

She suddenly snapped back to reality. "Not that you needed to know all of that," she said hurriedly.

"No, no," Jared insisted. "I needed to hear that. It told me a lot. Heck, I'm still coming to terms with the fact that I don't have a soul." He paused. "I'm not sure I believe it yet, to be honest."

They fell silent. When she didn't speak up, he decided to press his luck. "So what kind of demon are you? Like, what are your pow -- gifts?"

Kiara hesitated. "I've got quite a few. I guess it doesn't really hurt to tell you."

She disappeared. Her clothes were still visible, but she wasn't. She reappeared after a moment. "I can also become a phantom, where I pass through objects and fly." She thought for a moment. "I have limited control over temperature in a given space, I can see in the dark, and I can inspire fear in humans and demons alike."

That caught his attention. "Seriously?"

She smirked. "Would you like see for yourself?"

He thought for a moment. "Will anything bad happen?"

"No."

"Then why not?"

She shrugged. "Suit yourself."

They paused for a long moment. "Well?"

She blinked. "You didn't feel that?"

He shook his head. "Try again."

This time, her brow furrowed. She held out a hand.

The wind whistled through the door. Jared raised an eyebrow. "Is that all you've got?"

Irritated, she grabbed his arm. A chill ran down his spine, like ice. Not fear, exactly, but it was uncomfortable.

She snatched her hand away. "You're so warm!"

"You're freezing!"

She tilted her head. "You're immune? How? Not even Jessica is immune to emotional manipulation!"

Jared nodded solemnly. "It's my cold, dead heart. Nothing affects me anymore."

She took a moment to catch the joke before rolling her eyes. "Hardy har. Seriously, what are you?"

He simply shrugged. "Does it matter?"

She glared at him. "Does it?"

He thought about it. "So long as I'm decently powerful, it's good, right?"

Kiara sighed. "Yeah, alright. But what do you eat, at least?"

He winced. "You first. What do you eat?"

"I eat fear."

He cocked his head. "Don't you inspire fear?"

"It's not the same thing. I can make you, well, most people experience fear, but I can't make them produce it. Humans are way easier to scare than demons, for the record."

Jared chuckled. "So how do you eat? Do you just go around and haunt houses for a few hours every night?"

"You think you're joking." She bit back a laugh. "That's almost exactly what Jessica recommended. But I found something that works almost as well. I just go see horror movies in theater."

Jared gasped. "That's genius. You just have to be near them to eat, then?"

She nodded. "Right. It's a pretty decent meal, and I get to watch a show too." She giggled. "No, I lied. The movie is outright torture most of the time. Especially that new one with the caterpillar alien thing. I've had to watch them all countless times."

Jared scoffed in mock disbelief. "I'll have you know that I am an extreme horror fan, and they are literary works of art! How dare you insult 'The Endigrade'!"

Kiara groaned. "Don't get me started. 'Your soul is MINE, Elizabeth!'" she spluttered. "'Prepare your last wishes'!"

They laughed at her surprisingly apt mimicry of the cheesy monster. As their laughter declined, Jared conceded the point. "Alright, fine, the dialogue was a bit rushed. But that CGI was awesome!"

She waved her hand in a so-so motion. "It was fine, I guess. Better than most."

"From a professional critic, that is true praise indeed."

Their next bout of laughter was longer, but it faded after a few minutes. Their eyes met, and they glanced away awkwardly.

Jared cleared his throat. "I guess we're done, then? Unless..."

"No, no," she said quickly. "We're good."

"Right. Do I just...?"

"Yeah. I guess I should be leaving now too."

They got up and went for the door. They had nearly exited the barn when she slapped her forehead. "Jessica said she'd like to meet with you before you leave! And I need to give her my report..."

He stifled a groan. He was tired. It must have been 10 PM by now. Hopefully the conversation would be short.

They walked up to the mansion in awkward silence. What was going on? One second they had been laughing together, and the next...

Nevermind, he didn't want to think about it. He focused on his feet for the rest of the walk.

Kiara just opened the door and stepped inside. As they marched up the stairs, Jared could see faint firelight coming from the study.

Miss Senguine was already seated when they came in. She had changed into a more fashionable set of clothes, with a loose red blouse, a pink scarf, and a maroon pencil skirt. The makeup was back as well as a pair of reading spectacles. She glanced up from the newspaper.

"Ah, yes, Kiara. Well? How was his terra?"

Kiara hesitated. "He has good potential, I think..."

Miss Senguine frowned. "How strong is he?"

She bowed her head. "His terra strength isn't high, I'm afraid. Probably a 40 or so."

Miss Senguine sighed deeply and pinched her nose. "Thank you, Kiara. You are dismissed to go home."

Kiara bowed slightly and gave Jared an apologetic smile before leaving. Jared stood there awkwardly.

"Have a seat, Mr. Bertreck."

He sat gingerly. "What does that mean, Miss Senguine? Am I not a Ferronaught?"

She slapped the newspaper onto the table. "No, no, of course you are. Your incident with Annika confirmed that. However..." She glared at him. "You are severely malnourished for your age. How many partners have you had, young man?"

He winced. "Not a lot..."

"I asked for a number."

He sighed. "None, okay?"

She scoffed and set down her wine. "Typcial. A Ferronaught stumbles into my lap, and he's a fracking virgin." Her jaw clenched. "This will not do."

"Since you are a Ferronaught, the best course of action will be to present you to the Summit. Provided you are deemed worthy of membership, you will receive their protection throughout the apocalypse."

At his confused look, she explained. "The Summit is a high-tier alliance of the strongest bloodlines to confirm their rule over the rest of us. Your father is part of it. They have agreed to a form of a peace treaty with one another. Whichever of them attacks another will be attacked by the rest of the Summit. Until you are on that council, you are free game to eliminate from the competition. Anyone who knows will be trying to kill you."

Jared frowned. "I thought I was effectively immortal?"

She waved her hand. "To demons, yes. Keep in mind that humans slew most of your kind long ago. It's likely that they will continue throwing humans at you until one gets lucky."

"The next meeting of the summit is the last one before the end of times begins. That will be in six months. If you are not fully capable by that point, you will be dead within a few years," she stated matter of factly. "We do not know when the Summit will next meet, but I doubt it will be within the decade."

Jared's head was spinning. Six months. "Can't you protect me?"

She snorted. "From members of the Summit? Not hardly. The most I can do is provide you with guidance and connections to keep you hidden and get you to the point where you can be accepted into the Summit. And that starts with getting you properly fed."

She leaned forward. "Your first assignment: You will report back here tomorrow evening. By that time, I expect you to have had full sexual intercourse with a woman and for you to bring her here."

"What?!"

"I made myself perfectly clear. Don't worry, with your physical prowess, that shouldn't be an issue." She waved her hand. "And don't worry about being caught or arrested. I can clear any charges or suspicion that arises against you for kidnapping or rape. Murder might be tricky, given your past, but I think I can manage should it be necessary."

"I'm not going to go out and... and..." He couldn't even bring himself to say it.

"Why not?" She sighed. "You can try the willing approach, if you'd like. Getting her here will be tricky, but pity sex is a possibility."

"No..." He straightened. "I'm a Christian. I'm saving myself for marriage."

Miss Senguine stared at him for a second before breaking into laughter. "Surely you jest! After what you have learned about yourself and the world around you, surely you cannot still believe..." She trailed off as she looked into his face.

Her face darkened. "If you do not do as I say, consider my protective services over. I will not be affiliated with such a target as yourself. I suggest you crush your little feelings and move on."

He opened his mouth to protest, but she help up a hand. "Dismissed."

"But I-"

"I said," she glared. "Dismissed."

He clenched his jaw and stood. He turned on his heel and left without another word.

*****************

After an uneventful drive home, Jared slumped down at the kitchen table. He needed to talk to Quinn. He dialed her number and leaned back, pinching the bridge of his nose with his fingers.

Ring ring. Ring ring. On the fifth ring, she picked up. "Sorry," she whispered. "I'm grounded right now. They didn't really like me staying out last night. What's up?"

"Quinn, I'm in trouble." Jared took a deep breath. "I got a lot of information, and I'm now completely sure this isn't a hoax or a cult." He went on to explain the details of the last conversation with Miss Senguine.

Quinn remained silent the entire time. "What are you going to do?" she asked when he finished.

"I don't know!" He lowered his voice. "I don't know, Quinn. Should I just... give up?" He closed his eyes. "I don't want to lose myself, even if I am a demon. I want to be a good person. I can't just pick and choose what rules to follow."

"Everything else I can come up with some kind of excuse for. Most of it happened when I was just a kid, and the priest said I was forgiven for all that crap. Killing someone? It was to defend y- Other people. My mom..." He trailed off before steeling his nerves. "It was self-defense."

"She's not asking you to kill someone..."

Jared bowed his head. "It doesn't matter. I think the law about fornication is pretty clear. And that's not even addressing rape or kidnapping!"

He racked his brain. Basically, give up his morals or die a horrible death. If it were just him, he would've chosen death in a heartbeat. Better to die for a cause he believed in than live without it. But Quinn... If they were right, the apocalypse was coming, and coming soon. The way they discussed humans was like livestock. She needed him.

"This is... really important to you, isn't it?" she asked slowly.

Jared sighed. "Yeah." He swallowed. "What do you think I should do?"

Silence. The phone crackled. "Quinn?"

"I'm here. Just... thinking." She paused for a long moment. "What if you got married first? Then you'd be keeping your little law, right?"

Jared blinked. "I mean, I guess so. But where could I find a girl willing to marry me?"

"If that was your means of proposing, we've got a lot of work ahead of you," Quinn remarked dryly.

Jared jumped from his seat, clutching his phone to his ear. "Quinn... What are you-"

"Don't. Don't make this harder than it has to be." She took a deep breath. "You saved my life, Jared. I don't think marrying you is asking too much of me."

"But... Quinn. I can't make you-"

"You aren't making me. Isn't this what you wanted?" She sighed. "About that thing you were going to tell me this morning..."

"Is now really the time for this?"

"Isn't it? We're talking about lifelong commitments." She sounded tired. "I've thought it over. You don't know everything about me, Jared. I'm not very Saintlike. If you knew what I was really like..."

"I wouldn't care," he blurted. "You're all I've got, Quinn." He winced. "I feel kind of stupid for asking, but, uh, I've only got until tomorrow evening... Quinn, will you marry me?"

"Yes." No pause, no excitement, no hesitation either. Just a matter-of-fact statement. "Pick me up tomorrow at eight, okay? At the front door?"

"Sure." He paused. "And Quinn? Thank you."

She hung up the line. Jared rubbed his face.

Getting to sleep was going to be a nightmare.

*******************

He awoke to sunlight streaming in the windows. He shot up in bed and looked at his phone. 7:51.

No time to get dressed or anything. He just couldn't wake up on time, could he? Getting off the consistent schedule of school was really messing up his body clock.

Of all the things to be late for, picking up his new fiancé was probably on the very bottom of the list. Fortunately, her house wasn't too far away.

She raced out the front door with a backpack over her shoulder. She was dressed casually, her dirty-blonde hair ruffled in messy waves. She ran over to the passenger seat and hopped in. "Alright, let's go."

Jared didn't wait for further instruction and sped off. It was then that he realized that he didn't know where he was going. "Uh, Quinn? What's the plan?" He glanced over to her.

With a start, he realized her eyes were puffy. "Hey, are you okay?"

She sniffed. "I'll be fine." She managed a smile. "Don't look at me like that. It's not your fault. My parents..." She sighed. "They're not happy, as you can imagine."

"You told them?"

"Not everything, of course, but I told them the basics. I needed their signature to get married, afterall."

Jared winced. "Right. You're not *nineteen yet." That didn't make him feel any better about this.

"It's only a few months." She stared out the window. "But it's enough for the law. They didn't exactly see things my way."

"You didn't convince them?"

"No. Don't worry, I'm sure we can figure something out." She didn't sound so convinced. "Let me see your phone."

He thought she was going to look something up, but she just turned on Google Maps. The instructions led to a courthouse.

Jared hesitated. "We've got all day." He smiled. "And we're rich. Can't we do something... I don't know. Something to enjoy ourselves?"

Quinn looked at him for a long moment. "I guess so. But I think it would be smarter to get the certificate first."

"Please?" He felt awful. He just pulled a minor away from her parents to marry him. "I'd feel better even if we just got breakfast or something."

She gave a small smile. "Okay. Let's see what's open."

After a few minutes of navigation, they ended up at a local Denny's. Jared gestured for her to wait as he got out so that he could quickly run to the other side and open her door. He bowed and gestured her onward. "Milady."

Quinn rolled her eyes and took his hand to step out of his junk car.

They went in and ordered a single large meal to split. They ate leisurely, taking their time. They probably looked like two ordinary kids, going on a date together. How he wished that were the case.

"So... Is this our first date?" Jared asked, raising his eyebrows.

Quinn tilted her head. "You're suggesting there will be more?"

"Of course! You know... Until the end of the world. Which is coming in a few months, probably." Something occurred to him. "We probably won't even turn twenty by the time the world ends."

Quinn sighed. "We might not be able to go out for my *nineteenth birthday. I was looking forward to it."

"We'll still go out," Jared protested. "We'll find something, I promise."

She eyed him up and down before looking away. "Jared, it's my turn to tell you something. I'm worried if I tell you, that you won't want to marry me."

Jared snorted. "Not possible. There is nothing that you could say that could..." He trailed off as she raised her eyebrow. "What?"

"Are you sure there's nothing that I could say?" she teased.

"Pretty sure."

She crossed her arms and huffed. "What if I told you that I'm actually a boy?"

Jared choked on his pancake. Once he recovered, he spoke. "Okay, maybe there are somethings that would be a dealbreaker." He eyed her suspiciously. "You aren't, right?"