Fortune and Fortitude Pt. 04

Story Info
Dealing with a new revelation and getting some answers...
4.3k words
4.64
10.6k
22

Part 4 of the 7 part series

Updated 11/17/2023
Created 12/19/2021
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
Lerena
Lerena
692 Followers

Hey guys, sorry it's been so long! I think I'm going to get back into writing somewhat, so here's the next part of FF!

Enjoy!

Time seemed to slow down for Jared as the information sank in. He closed his eyes as he felt something queasy build in his stomach. Quinn... is my sister? This was wrong, all sorts of wrong. But maybe she was lying?

He took a deep breath. "And why should we believe you? For all we know, you could be trying to manipulate us somehow."

Quinn managed a weak smile. "Right. This does seem a little far-fetched."

Senguine smirked and folded her legs. "Of all things, this is by far the least unbelievable thing I've told you. Why should you believe me? For the same reason you believe any of what I've said." She tilted her head. "I've merely offered some information, a proposal of sorts. It is you who can feel that I haven't lied to you."

Jared stared at Quinn. "I only really buy into any of this because you seem to believe it. Is it true?"

Quinn bit her lip and looked away. Her eyes raced as she thought about it. After a long moment, she spoke. "I..." She met his eyes. "I guess... it's possible."

"More than possible." Senguine sipped from her glass. "Check your legal records. You have the same last name and the same birthday. Believing that to be a coincidence would be foolish. You are siblings in every sense of the word."

He couldn't believe his ears. Every instinct he had said to run away and sit in a corner for a while, but he resisted. He needed to think.

It couldn't be true, right? But what if it was... Jared looked to Quinn who was watching him. "Jared..." she said worriedly. "Are you okay?"

What was he supposed to do? Or say? His crush of many years (his wife now) was his twin sister? Could he just walk away and pretend nothing happened? He could call Father Martin right now. Confess everything and hope that he could somehow be forgiven.

But as Jared looked into her eyes, he recalled the very same promise he had made to himself earlier that day. He closed his eyes one last time. I'm sorry. But I can't let her go.

"This doesn't change anything." Jared reached forward and took Quinn's hand. "Sister or not, you're first and foremost my wife. Nothing gets in the way of that fact."

Quinn's eyes widened in shock. "You're... You're serious." She swallowed and squeezed his hand. "This is so unlike you..."

Jared shrugged. "Then I guess I have to change a bit. Because this is the new me. You own me, Quinn. Whatever you say goes. If you say we're done, we're done. If you want us to stay together, we'll stay together. I'll follow you anywhere."

Quinn leaned forward and took his lips with hers. Jared shoved any arbitrary thoughts aside and pulled her in, kissing her firmly.

After a second, she pulled back. "I know what this means for you..." She smiled sadly. "And I'm grateful. I couldn't ask for more."

"Well, you're rather comfortable with this," Senguine interrupted wryly. "I was expecting a brief break from the incestuous activities at the very least." She shrugged. "I suppose I have nothing to complain about."

Jared squeezed Quinn's hand and turned to face Senguine. "I hope that's all of the shocking news for the evening. I'm not sure how much more of this I can take."

Senguine waved a hand dismissively. "No, that's all of my surprises - at least, for now. Nothing more I have concerns you."

"Good. Let's go home." Jared stood and helped Quinn up. "We've got a lot to discuss."

Senguine rolled her eyes. "Oh please, discuss it tomorrow. She can't return home with you, remember? She's a precious vassal now. Until you get your own lair established, she remains here."

Quinn frowned. "Okay, then can he stay here for the night?"

"Absolutely not. I refuse to house my proteges." She glanced at her watch. "And based on the time, I suspect you are the last to remain. You can return tomorrow morning, no earlier than 7 o' clock. Understood?"

Quinn and Jared shared a glance. "But..."

"You can stand to be apart for a few hours. Now leave."

Quinn hesitated before offering a small smile. "We'll talk tomorrow, okay? Plus, we'll both have some time to think all of this over."

Jared sighed. "Fine." He glared at Senguine. "But nothing had better happen to her. If someone so much as lays a finger on her-"

"I assure you," Senguine stated evenly, "You aren't the first territorial Ferronaught I've had to deal with. I understand what will happen to me if she gets hurt." She came around the table and began her walk up the stairs. "Quinn, come with me."

With a final look at each other, Jared hesitantly released her hand. She gave him one last smile before she disappeared up the stairs. Sighing, he returned to his car.

Alone.

****************

"I'm afraid I don't have any guest rooms prepared, due to unforeseen circumstances," Senguine drawled, gesturing around the bedroom. "As such, you will be staying in my room for tonight. That is, unless you'd prefer the couch."

Quinn shook her head. "I think sharing a room is plausible." She glanced around at the many decorations adorning the walls. "Especially one this big."

Senguine began rifling through some drawers. "I suspect you didn't bring any nightclothes, yes?"

Quinn snapped. "I didn't even think about it. They would be in Jared's car. Let me just call him real quick."

Senguine snatched the phone from her hands. "None of that. You will need your rest for tomorrow." She placed it on the dresser. "Ria keeps some clothing here. I'm sure we can find you something."

Or I could just sleep in my clothes, Quinn thought as Senguine continued her search. But she didn't say anything, just watching her mother.

Her mother. She had always dreamed of meeting her birth mother, but this was nothing like she imagined. Sure, she had thought idly of Mrs. Scott being her real mom, but that was a youthful fantasy, not a real thought.

"Try these." Senguine tossed her a pair of light pajamas. "They won't fit perfectly, but they should do well enough."

"Where do I put my clothes?"

"Anywhere is fine. I don't spend much time here, so consider this room yours for the time being."

When Senguine made no motion to leave, instead sitting on the bed, Quinn simply began undressing, an unfamiliar sensation for her. She never had any siblings, and her parents were very strict on privacy. In the last 24 hours, she would be naked in front of more people than in the last ten years.

Senguine frowned as she started to put on the pajamas. "You're a bit underfed, aren't you? Especially for your youth." She stood and started circling Quinn, eyeing her body. "I take it you kept the flirting to a minimum, then?"

Quinn winced and nodded. "Yeah. Jared wasn't big on flirty girls." She resisted trying to cover herself, allowing Senguine her inspection.

Senguine tsked her tongue. "A risky strategy, to be sure. It works in some cases, I suppose, but usually it's safer to play around a bit before choosing a male to pair with."

"I didn't want any other male. I wanted Jared."

Senguine sighed and gestured for her to continue dressing, which Quinn did. The pajamas were incredibly soft and warm, but they hung loose on her body. "Does Ria get around much, then?"

Senguine shrugged and sat down on the bed. "With extreme resistance. She's found a few friends to play around with, but nothing serious. It works well enough for her."

Quinn hesitated before sitting on the bed next to her. "How about you? Are you 'eating' okay?"

Senguine pursed her lips. "I do well enough." She scoffed and reached forward to take a lock of Quinn's hair. "Goodness, girl, don't you ever brush your hair?"

Definitely avoiding the question. Quinn rolled her eyes. "Let's just say the last couple of days haven't left much time for vanity."

"You have time now." Senguine gestured to the mirror and vanity setup along one wall. "You'll find a brush in the second to top drawer on the left."

Obediently, Quinn rose and sat down in the seat. Sure enough, a large reddish brush was the sole occupant of said drawer. She raised it to her head and began brushing her hair. "Does this mean I'm a prisoner here?"

The question took Senguine off guard. "What do you mean?"

"You said I can't leave until he has a 'lair' established. How soon will that be?"

Quinn watched her shrug in the mirror. "Before his meeting with the Summit, most likely. He needs to gain a decent amount of power before trying to obtain a lair. Precious materials are difficult to obtain in bulk, and a lair doesn't do a weakling much good at all. As a major investment, it might be a while."

Quinn sighed. "I was afraid of that."

They fell into an awkward silence then. She was essentially a prisoner. That hadn't been part of the plan! Senguine probably wouldn't force the issue if they really wanted her to leave. But she may withdraw her support, which didn't sound that bad, but based on a few side comments from Senguine, Quinn was sure it was a bigger deal than she was making it out to be.

That was perhaps the most terrifying thing of this whole ordeal. Senguine didn't seem to be trying to exaggerate the problems they were facing - she seemed to be trying to water them down. On one hand, Quinn was grateful for that, since Jared might go into a panicked state if he really understood the danger. On the other hand, that left Quinn trying to sort out just how crazy this mess was going to be.

"I can't stand it anymore," Senguine said, exasperated. "Didn't your mother ever teach you how to use a brush? Here, hand it over." She came behind Quinn and took the brush from her hands.

"Actually, she didn't. I had to figure it out on my own."

Senguine frowned. "That explains a lot. I always knew that woman was vile. Let me guess, you don't wear makeup because you don't know how to use it."

Quinn's silence was answer enough. Senguine began gently running the brush through Quinn's hair. Quinn closed her eyes and focused on the sensation.

It was the first time anyone had ever brushed her hair, aside from herself. She had thought she knew how to use a brush, but she had been wrong. Senguine's hands moved skillfully, sifting through her hair to painlessly undo tangles.

Strangely enough, it didn't feel unfamiliar. She had been told she'd been adopted at the age of nearly 3, making Quinn wonder if this was the first time that her birth mother had brushed her hair.

Quinn looked up to her through the mirror, but Senguine avoided her gaze, focusing entirely on her task. Could this really be her birth mother? Quinn bit her lip. She certainly seemed like she could be. But something was pressing on her mind... "You know, you've got some explaining to do."

"Such as?"

"Such as why you put us up for adoption." The hands stopped.

Senguine sighed. "I suppose I can't really keep any secrets, can I? You'll find out sooner or later. Better to have you trust me when you do." She resumed her stroking in silence, pondering silently on what to say.

Quinn waited patiently, allowing herself to fully relax. Strange as it was, she felt like she could trust this woman. It might be manipulation or something, but she doubted it. Her instincts were usually pretty good at telling deception. In Miss Senguine's gentle caress, Quinn felt a hint of... affection? Tenderness? Maybe it was wishful thinking.

Finally, Senguine spoke. "Your father, Fitzober Scott, was a vicious demon. He claimed me as his fourteenth vassal on his eighteenth birthday." She sighed. "It was a bloody affair. I'll spare you the details. In any case, it began quite well." She hesitated. "Suffice it to say, he and I... Enjoyed our time together. For a while, I was quite the favorite."

Quinn winced. She could already tell where this was going.

"As all things do, it didn't last. When he moved to Europe, he chose not to take me with him. I was... disappointed, but I had hope he would return soon." Her face darkened. "He returned eventually. Five years after he left, he came back to eliminate members of his harem. He didn't want the hassle of trying to protect his first score of women, so he decided to get rid of them."

Quinn's eyes widened, but she remained silent. Miss Senguine went on.

"Using my gifts, I succeeded in seducing him and sparing my own life. With the flame rekindled, my place in his harem was guaranteed." Her lips tightened. "That is, until we realized I was pregnant."

"How did he react?"

"Poorly. Ferronaughts pride themselves on their rarity, keeping the secret to their immortality limited in supply. If I gave birth to a son, then that would be one more Ferronaught in the world. If it was a daughter, then she would be entirely useless to him for another ten to twenty years. He demanded I use modern technology to abort the child."

"Well, I assume that didn't happen."

"No. I persuaded him into allowing me to bear him an heir. I told him I could detect that it was, indeed, a son. The heir to his legacy. A true successor. However, it would be vulnerable, and it would cost far more resources to protect than he cared for. So he permitted me to keep it, under the condition that I allowed humans to raise the child, to keep it far, far away from being connected to him, at least until it was grown enough to fend for himself."

"So I was a surprise?"

"Yes. I was bluffing when I said I could tell what I would have. When I found out I was having twins, I decided not to tell him. He had returned to Europe without me, keeping my pregnancy with his child completely secret. I remained here, isolated for the duration."

"Shortly after I gave birth, he arrived to see the child. He gave no future notice, and I was unable to hide you."

Quinn frowned. "I assume he was angry, then."

"Furious. We spoke about it briefly, before he took me out the door. I begged him for your life, and he only grinned."

She fell silent again, and Quinn watched her face. "And? What happened?"

"He... publicly severed his connection with me."

"Wait, what? How?"

Senguine set down the brush and folded her arms. "He took me to a friend of his. A few of them, actually. After they had fully taken advantage of me, he released me and ordered me to put you away, just like your brother. I had no choice but to obey."

Quinn bowed her head. "I'm... sorry."

She shrugged. "What's done is done. You had no say in the matter." She glanced up at the clock. "We should get some rest."

"Why didn't you visit me more? Why didn't you tell me?" Quinn pressed.

Senguine sighed. "Fitz didn't want anyone to know you were associated with him. He's the only one I could have had a child with. When he discovered that I still hovered, he forbade me from doing it again. I could never get close to Jared - he watched over him diligently."

"Couldn't I have been one of those other men's child?"

Senguine smiled sadly. "You know so little of our bloodline." She crossed the room to the door. "Goodnight."

"Wait!" Quinn gestured to the bed. "Aren't you staying here with me?"

Senguine hesitated. "I thought you may be uncomfortable with the idea."

She shook her head. "Not really. Actually, I thought it might be kind of nice."

Miss Senguine turned away. "Very well. Allow me to get dressed, and I'll join you."

Quinn climbed onto the bed and settled under the covers. Overall, it wasn't terribly different from having a sleepover with Nasha and Zoe. The only real difference is that she hardly knew Miss Senguine. Jessica. Mom.

Quinn glanced up as her mother began undressing and winced. If her body was an indication of her health, her mother was doing almost as badly as her. Her frame was of moderate size, but her figure was... flat. Very flat. She wore a pushup bra, making her seem much curvier when clothed, but it was a clear ruse. She turned away as Senguine finished.

"Goodnight." Senguine tapped the lamp next to the bed to darken the room.

"Goodnight... Mom."

***************

Jared sat on his bed, staring at his phone. He desperately wanted to call Quinn, make sure she was doing alright, but he knew that that was being a bit too clingy. One night apart wouldn't kill them. Even if that night was their first night as a couple.

It seemed like an eternity since this morning when he picked her up in his car to get married. So much had happened since then... He'd even been shot and fainted! He shook his head. Life was moving much too fast for his liking.

Quinn was his sister. Like the universe didn't hate him enough. He contemplated saying a prayer, but he couldn't think of anything more to say. He was sorry? True, but not true enough to think about leaving her. For better or for worse, they were married. He wasn't about to undo that.

He closed his eyes and laid back. Come to think of it, he was probably going to be doing much worse things. Like polygamy. Or adultery. Those were basically his only options. Stack that on top of incest and murder, and he had a pretty good case for being a chief devil in hell. If demons even had an afterlife,

Still, he had Quinn for now. Maybe that was all that mattered.

Duck it. He was going to call her.

He hit the contact and held it up to his ear. After seven rings, it went to voicemail. Stay calm. Maybe she's just busy. He looked at the time. 11:30. Maybe asleep? Nothing to worry about, right?

He tapped out of the contact info, and something caught his eye. The other contacts. The night his father had given him the phone, he had said something about needing a few phone numbers. Only a few of them were named.

What had he meant? He knew about Miss Senguine, apparently. Of course he did. Jared groaned. Not only was Quinn his sister, but that meant Miss Senguine was his mother. He would've guessed her to be in her early to late thirties, not anywhere near the age of his late stepmom. Who I killed.

He felt like his head was going to explode. It was like doing a complex math problem in his head. He just couldn't keep track of all of the variables. He resolved to let Quinn do the problem solving from now on. She hardly seemed fazed at anything she was told, and she adapted so quickly.

He looked back through the contacts, especially at the named ones. One in particular grabbed his attention. "Code Word: High Gates. Isn't that two words?" he wondered aloud.

He debated giving it a call, just to see who picked up. His Dad was on his team, right? Or was he? Maybe he should wait for Quinn to decide about the numbers. On the other hand, he wasn't going to be able to sleep any time soon. He had slept twice today already.

He bit his cheek and hit the call button. After exactly one ring, someone picked up. "This is Thomas March, how can I help you?"

"Um, hi." Shoot. What was he even supposed to say? "This is Jared Bertreck. My dad gave me this number and said I needed to call you. What exactly do you do?"

"I'm sorry, Mister Bertreck, but I'm a very busy man, and I simply do not have time for requests. Let me direct you to the call center, I'm sure that they can help you with whatever-"

"High Gates."

The line fell silent for a long moment. "Ah, forgive me, Master Bertreck. I see you are no ordinary customer."

Jared tapped his fingers on his leg nervously. "What do you mean?"

"I assume your father was demonic if he gave you this number and that code. Does your father happen to be Mr. Scott?"

"Um, yes, that sounds right."

"Wonderful. Now, what can I do for you, Master Bertreck?"

Jared hesitated. "What is it that you do, exactly?"

"I'm your father's financial advisor. I cover his investments and assets while he spends his time with other things. But you are welcome to make any request you'd like."

Lerena
Lerena
692 Followers
12