Fortune's Favor

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"My father awaits you in the salon," the younger Sharishakun said, pointing the way for them. They passed through a carved and painted wooden door and into a lavish salon overlooking the front entrance. The room was furnished with beautiful couches, some of silk, and tapestries on the walls. Crystal carafes of wine were set on the tables between the couches and unlit chandeliers, yet unneeded in the late afternoon, hung overhead.

In the center of the room was seated a man who was clearly Eriba Sharishakun's father. Eriba crossed the room to take a seat at his father's side on a couch upholstered in richly dyed green silk and adorned with stuffed pillows. The elder man had his son's eyes and nose, with a regal bearing more befitting a king than a minor landowner in the outer reaches of the provinces. He was well-dressed, though not as richly as his home might suggest. Surrounding him were a dozen other men, also clothed in finery but none in finery greater than their host's. The men wore gold ornaments in their braided beards, looking quite like the dwarves Decius often saw in the rich quarters of the Imperial City. Presently, the two men Decius had seen watching from the balcony entered the room by a rear door and seated themselves behind the elder Sharishakun.

"I bid you welcome," the elder man said. "I am Arashlem Sharishakun, and you are in my house."

"We come in peace, Arashlem Sharishakun," Marius replied. "I am Valerius Caesius Marius, acting legate of the Third Legion. This is my Camp Praefect, Marcus Drusus Bacarius and my Master of Horse, Decius Sallax Capricius. These men are my junior tribunes, Rhamut Shoula and Sarus Jovian Graeborvan."

"You have come for my part in the revolt?" Sharishakun asked as much as he stated.

"We have come for your aid in suppressing the revolt," Marius replied. "We understand that the recent changes to taxation have angered many, and we regret the disruptions that has caused. But we cannot abide armed revolt against our lord and master, his Imperial Majesty. Our force is strong but small, and we will require aid in suppressing Battus' rebellion."

"Indeed," Sharishakun replied. He leaned back against the cushions of his couch and ran a hand through his beard. "He has mustered many men to his cause, and though he has squandered the days since his victory at Yamhadan, he remains a powerful force in the province. I am told that the emperor's other legions are many weeks away?"

"They will come when they come," replied Marius coolly, "They have many other responsibilities, but the emperor will not suffer revolt in his provinces for long. It would behoove any rebels to seek amnesty while the opportunity still exists."

Sharishakun smiled at the thinly veiled threat. "These men," he gestured to the two new arrivals come down from their balcony perch, "are just in from Haddul. Battus sends me an offer. He promises that, if I return to him at the head of my cavalry, all between us will be forgiven. He plans to seize Chyrosia and extract great concessions from the emperor. He promises that he will have himself made governor of the province, with me as his second."

"A grandiose plan," conceded Marius, "But a faint hope, to be sure. Chyrosia is thinly held and its walls in poor repair. You might seize it if you are quick, but what then? The emperor has many legions. The Armannaise are distracted by their own struggle for the throne, the Lathassians in the west are suitably cowed after the last war, and the Savonian revolt is winding down. His Majesty has few places to send his legions but garrisons, and legions in garrison are troublesome. Much better to send them on campaign, where they might acquire glory, loot, and slaves. Take Chyrosia, demand concessions all you like. Will that stop the emperor from dispatching his legions? Will Chyrosia's walls hold back the emperor's finest?"

Sharishakun smiled faintly. He looked to his son, then to the gaggle of advisors behind him. They nodded.

"We have not come to threaten you," Marius continued. "The fate of rebellions and their instigators is a grim one, and we would rather not regale you with tales of traitors broken on the wheel or flayed alive in Victors' Square. Let us instead discuss cooperation against Battus and his ilk who have wronged you." Marius paused a moment before continuing. "I was told you had two sons."

Sharishakun's face darkened, and his assembled advisors looked away quickly.

"Were you told three weeks ago, you were told correctly," Sharishakun replied quietly. "Alas, my dear Arik is no longer with us."

"You have my condolences. I will make an offering to Kanaron in his name," Marius replied. "But you see what allegiance to Battus has gained you? Nothing but grief and loss."

"And what do you offer me?" Sharishakun demanded quietly. "More death? More fields trampled, herds slaughtered?"

"Forty talents of silver to start with," Marius began, "And a hundred of Jalit's finest horse stock. I have heard tell of your bloodlines and do not know if their humble breeds can compare to your own, but they are fine horses, nonetheless. And, for a man with a discerning eye for flesh, I offer twenty slave girls, young and beautiful, chosen from the brothels and markets of Jalit to please you with endless pleasures."

Marius turned and waved to a cavalryman waiting by the door, who relayed the signal to the yard.

"I will have them brought in, if you would see them."

"I would," Sharishakun replied, "but first, I am told you bring with you an augur," Sharishakun said, looking over Decius and Bacarius. "Is he here now?"

Marius looked to Decius, who shrugged.

"He is,' Decius admitted.

"Good," Sharishakun replied. "I have some interest in the mystic arts myself. Tell me, are the auguries of our alliance good?"

"They are. We have a good opportunity for success here, but we must not waste it by sloth or indecision."

"And what do your auguries portend for me?" the man asked.

"For you?" Decius repeated, "I admit, I have not thought to look for signs of you."

"I thought as much," Sharishakun replied, "You offer me rich gifts, but think little of what this all means for me. I've lost a son to this business already and am inclined to wait a while longer in the verges while things unfold."

"A moment, perhaps," Decius cut in quickly, "I have seen in my auguries a man wronged. Robbed, perhaps? Of an ivory treasure, draped in gold cloth and crowned in copper."

Sharishakun leaned forward. "Have you now?"

"Aye, two brilliant blue stars shine out from the darkness, trapped and plaintively searching for a rescuer."

"What else do you see?" Sharishakun asked.

"I see a hand, gauntleted in shining steel, reaching up to claim those stars. They flash and twinkle, falling from the heavens into the open palm of the armored hand."

"There are many ways to read such a vision," Sharishakun replied.

"It shows many futures," said Decius, "does it show a future pleasing to you?"

"I believe it does," the man said. "Speaking of this alliance you offer, what am I to offer?"

"Your army," Marius replied, "And your name, to quell those who might remain opposed to us."

"And you offer me forty talents of silver, a hundred horses, and twenty slave girls? Is that all?"

"Half the loot from battle against Battus," Marius added, "And the girl he took from you. I will ensure that the governor sees that your family is considered first for administrative posts in the province as well."

"Hmm," Sharishakun sat back on his couch again, deep in thought. First one advisor leaned forward to whisper in his ear, then another, finally his son whispered something and the elder man sat up again. "The herd tax has been a major thorn in our side. My wife's family and my daughters-in-law all come from the drylands to the west. They have all toiled long and hard to pay for this tax. I fear much of the silver you offer will pass through my hands like water, going to Chyrosia in payment as soon as I receive it."

"I have confidence that, once this rebellion is dealt with, the governor will see the error of his ways. He was given poor council by his advisors and thought this tax would be less of a hardship than it was."

"The tax will be abolished?" Sharishakun pressed.

"Abolished, or your tribe will be exempted," Marius offered. The magnate liked that. He stroked his thick, decorated, beard in thought for some time and then sat up again.

"We are agreed then," Sharishakun said at last, and Marius clapped his hands together in excitement. "I accept your gifts, and will ride to Haddul with you and five thousand of my horsemen."

"Shall we put it to paper?" Marius asked, producing a scroll and pen from his cloak. Sharishakun shrugged.

"I see no reason not to. Put it down and we will sign it, in sight of the gods."

Marius summoned a scribe, who did as ordered. Shortly thereafter, Sharishakun and his son signed for one side, and Marius and Bacarius for the other.

"Wonderful," Marius cried when they were done. "Now, we must celebrate our new partnership. Soldier, bring in our gifts to Sharishakun!"

While the others arranged themselves for the presentation, Decius snatched the paper and signed his own name beneath the praefect's. The auguries portend well for this, and I want my involvement in the affair to be known, he thought to himself as he signed. I will see to it that the emperor hears of what I've done here.

The door behind him opened and admitted a procession of cavalrymen carrying chests of silver. They set them down before Sharishakun and opened them to reveal stacks of coins, silver plate, and assorted valuable objects - cups, candelabras, statuettes, all of silver and fine quality. Sharishakun nodded in approval at each chest before directly his servants to take it away and store it in his private treasury. Finally, Marius stepped forward to offer a sword with silvered hilt, formerly property of the fallen dux. Sharishakun accepted it graciously and set it before on him on the floor.

"I will leave the inspection of the horses to another time," said Marius when the silver was presented, "for they are more troublesome to get through your doors. Now, let us bring in the real prize."

The slave girls were led in next, dressed in their dusty cloaks and lined up against the wall of the salon while Sharishakun and his advisors watched with interest. At Marius' command, they stripped naked.

Piling their clothes before them, the girls stood against the wall, hands at their sides and naked bodies on display. Murmuring amongst themselves, Sharishakun and his advisors considered them. Whispered words were exchanged behind their hands, nods passed back and forth, and some of the girls blushed under the scrutiny. Decius sat back on his couch and looked them over himself. We did well choosing them, he thought before his mind replied We took all the girls who were available, we had no choice in the matter. Though I suppose we could have raided the private harems of the wealthy men, but Jalit is a small town in any case.

"This is truly a wonderful gift," Sharishakun mused. "My harem will swell with these additions." He rose from his couch and went to where Namara stood one end of the line. He ran his hands along the girl's flanks and then cupped her breasts. She smiled shyly, raising a hand to brush her wavy hair back from her face. Sharishakun turned to his son.

"She seems like one to your liking," he said. Eriba stood up and joined his father at the wall.

"Aye, she is," he said. He pulled the girl close and kissed her full on the lips. Namara giggled and feigned a swoon.

"She likes you!" Marius called out.

"That or she's a good actress," replied one of Sharishakun's advisors.

"For you, good man," Marius said to Sharishakun, "I pass on the recommendations of the madame I bought these girls from. This one, Atalima, is said to have the lips of Nystra herself. If you want your cock sucked, there is no better woman to do it that this one."

"Well, I shall have to put your words to the test. Come here, girl," Sharishakun commanded. Atalima obediently came to him, her hands clasped in front of her. Straight away, she knelt before him and began undoing his belt.

"She knows what she is about!" he laughed, "My esteemed friends and relations, come on and pick a girl for yourselves!"

The magnate beckoned to the advisors, who rose and went to the line of women to pick their favorites. After much caressing, kissing, and prodding, they each seated themselves on couches with a girl in their lap. Some of the men even went as far as getting their cocks out and the girls immediately went to pleasuring them. Sharishakun stood by the remaining girls and sighed.

"While I am loathe to share such lovely gifts, it would seem poor hospitality not to share them with our guests. Come, officers, pick a girl and join our orgy!"

Marius stood up eagerly and Decius followed him. Decius chose for himself a short and stocky girl, with large breasts and shoulder length hair like a lion's mane. Marius sat himself down on a couch with an older woman, perhaps thirty, with small breasts and a shy smile.

Sharishakun settled himself onto a couch even as Atalima removed his clothes and took his cock into her mouth. With his hands behind his head, the magnate sighed in satisfaction.

"Servants," he called into the hall, "when we are finished with our orgy here, we will be famished. Prepare a banquet for our guests, and spare no expense!"

Decius smiled as he looked about the room and saw a score of pretty heads bobbing up and down on cocks. He lifted his tunic and took his own cock in his hand, holding it out to the girl in front of him. She smiled and grasped it in her warm, soft hands. Decius leaned back on his elbows and looked into her cool brown eyes.

"What is your name, girl?" he asked on a sudden whim.

"I am called Hattsa, sir," she replied, and he noticed a distinctly unusual accent to her voice.

"You are not a Kheshite, are you?"

Hattsa paused, about to engulf the head of his cock in her mouth, and gave him an amused smile.

"I am not. I came from Laraebos with a merchant caravan. My master's riverboat sank in the Elamu and he was ruined, so he sold me in Jalit to pay for his way home."

"A shame, if you were fond of your master. Were you?"

"Are you one of the men who likes to talk, or one of the men who likes to fuck?" she asked, still holding his cock before her lips with an air of impatience.

"Fuck," replied Decius.

"That's what I thought," said Hattsa, and swallowed his cock to the base. Decius lay himself back on the silken couch cushion and looked to the ceiling as she went to work. He felt her tongue deftly working along his cock as she stroked him with both hands. Turning his head to the side, he saw Marius laying beneath his woman, pleasuring her with his mouth while she hungrily sucked and stroked his cock. Behind them, Bacarius was standing tall, like a heroic nude, while a slender beauty gripped his cock in both hands and jerked it with all her might. The praefect smiled wolfishly and, winding his hands through her hair, held her still while he shoved his cock into her mouth. Moaning with delight, she took it as far into her as she could.

Decius slowly reclaimed his cock from Hattsa's hands and mouth. She made a pouty face when it was at last withdrawn from her.

"Come up on top, girl," Decius commanded. She stood up, sliding a finger between her legs to feel the wetness of her sex. Behind him, Decius heard another woman moan and knew that she had just mounted a cock of her own. Hattsa stepped forward, straddling his cock as she continued to tease herself with a wet finger.

"Are you one of the girls who likes to tease of one of the girls who likes to fuck?" asked Decius with feigned impatience. Hattsa smirked back at him and let herself slide down onto his cock. Decius grunted with pleasure and seized her by the hips. She ground her wide hips on his cock, her ample bottom bouncing as she did. Decius gave her a hearty slap, and she squealed in delight. Not yet satisfied, he slapped her again. From her perch on his cock, she looked down her nose at him with a pleased smile.

"You fuck like a man who has not had a woman in some time," she said. Decius shrugged as best he could while lying down. Then he reached a hand up to pinch her breast and smiled.

"I traveled a long way to get here," he replied, "I intend to enjoy myself."

Hattsa made no response and her eyes rolled back into her head as the pace of her riding quickened. Her hands went to her head, holding the back of it as she gyrated and bounced on his cock. She moaned, and Decius squeezed her hips tightly, his eyes going to the rising and falling of her big breasts, then to his cock sliding in and out of her, then back to her breasts.

On the couch next to him, Sarus was fucking a girl from his knees while she lay on her back atop the couch. Her little breasts shook with each impact of his hips, and she clung to him with a white-knuckled grip. Her legs were held back with her knees under her armpits, allowing the legate to drive his cock deep inside her, and she screamed in elation.

Decius looked around again. The orgy was in full swing, naked bodies thrusting and moaning all around him. He felt he was back at the Collegium. Marius had his woman on all fours as he held her hair like a set of horse's reins and fucked her from behind. Bacarius had laid down on the floor atop his woman and all Decius could see of him apart from his legs was his cock thrusting into her dripping wet sex. On the far side of the room, Eriba had bent Namara over a couch with his feet planted firmly on the floor. He mounted her from behind, pinned her down, and planted a foot on her head, pressing it into the stuffed cushions of the couch as he slammed his cock into her welcoming hole. Decius bit his lip at the sight, lest he come already.

Cries of pleasure filled the salon, echoing off the stone and out into the hall. A pair of servants passing by outside stopped and peered in the window, giggling to themselves with envious delight.

Decius looked up and, across three couches, he locked eyes with Sharishakun. The magnate had Atalima bent over the back of the couch, her breasts swinging freely as he fucked her from behind. Decius gave the man an awkward smile.

"Come, sorcerer," Sharishakun commanded. Decius did not stop his thrusting.

"I'm trying to," he replied with a breathless laugh. Sharishakun laughed himself, his head thrown back and his chest heaving.

"Bring your girl over here," the man clarified, and Decius looked to Hattsa, who merely shrugged.

"He is my master now," she said, "I am bound to obey if you will not."

Decius sat up and gathered Hattsa up in his arms. Without his cock falling out of her, he lifted her from the couch and walked to where Sharishakun knelt on his own couch.

"Set her down here, next to me," he commanded, indicating open space next to him on the couch. Decius lay Hattsa down next to Sharishakun, who slowed his thrusting a moment to fondle her breasts. The magnate gripped Atalima by her hips and readjusted his stance. She turned to look back as his thrusting stopped.

"Just a moment, girl," he said, "I am not as young a man as I once was. You will have to keep my pace."

She laughed. "You are a more vigorous man than others who came to my bower, some ten years younger. Catch your breath, but don't leave me unsatisified."

Sharishakun spanked her ass, her olive cheeks noticeably reddened under his onslaught, and they both laughed.

"Now it is your turn to come here," the magnate said, and he withdrew his cock from Atalima and stood up on his feet. Atalima sat down on the couch, leaning one arm over the back, and looked into Hattsa's eyes. The girls smiled at each other warmly.