Four Square Ch. 03

Story Info
Don and Cindy go to Augusta National; investigation goes on.
15.7k words
4.81
7.9k
9

Part 3 of the 4 part series

Updated 06/09/2023
Created 10/31/2019
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

This story is part of an ongoing series. The chronological order of my stories is listed in WifeWatchman's biography.

Feedback and constructive criticism is very much appreciated, and I encourage feedback for ideas.

This story contains graphic scenes, language and actions that might be extremely offensive to some people. These scenes, words and actions are used only for the literary purposes of this story. The author does not condone murder, racial language, violence, rape or violence against women, and any depictions of any of these in this story should not be construed as acceptance of the above.

Part 10 - Connect-The-Dots

Tuesday, April 9th. The morning meeting's attendees were stunned at what I had just hypothesized.

"You're saying that Trent and Quint might be involved in this?" asked Chief Moynahan, his voice sounding shocked.

"Why not?" I asked. "They were Special Forces, they might have access to restricted military medications. Jefferson Gray has family ties to one of the Superior Bloodlines elitists, which was also Federal in scope. And we're talking about possibly a hundred million dollars at stake. And that brings us to the competing wills. Is there anything new with that?"

"Yes." said ADA Paulina Patterson. "I came here to tell you the latest developments with it. The bank account that Mrs. Fitch was using to pay for bills and all had regular deposits from one of Mr. Fitch's brokerage accounts. It has about $10,000 currently in it, plenty enough for a few months of basic needs."

"The problem," continued Paulina, "is that the second will, the one Nathan Masterson attempted to probate, decrees that everything, and I mean everything to the last penny, is to go to Rhonda Gray and her husband. It leaves no allowance at all for Mrs. Fitch. So Masterson went in and asked for a Court Order to put a hold on that bank account and allow none of it to be used before the Court determines which will is valid, citing that Mrs. Fitch would have no way of repaying any money she takes out after the Masterson will is found to be the correct one... those are Masterson's words, not mine. And worse... Judge Nance agreed, almost eagerly so, and put a hold on the account. So Mrs. Fitch has no resources at all; she's penniless."

A pall went through the room at that, striking all of us into silence.

"The good news," Paulina said, "is that Mike G. Todd, of the Madison & Ives Law Firm, has told the Court that he is assisting Cy Hart in representing Mrs. Fitch's interests and the first will on her behalf pro bono. Masterson and Nance are pissed, especially since Mike has filed a motion asking that Nance not be allowed to be the deciding judge on the case, and Folsom did pick it up for consideration. Mike has also asked that the FBI be allowed to examine both wills for authenticity, particularly relating to Mr. Fitch's signature on it."

"So that's what Jimmy Tolson was broken out of prison for." I said. Yep, the room was stunned into silence again.

I said "It's Consultant-'ish', it's the kind of thing Tolson had experience with, considering the legal battles over the insurance policies of the people he killed." (Author's note: 'Disappearing Act'.) "And Tolson is just mean enough himself to say 'Make sure Mrs. Fitch gets cut off from any money at all.', and Masterson and Nance would just love doing it."

"I don't sup-pooooooose," said the Chief, "that you are going to try to tie in this accident with the love triangle into all this."

"He may, Chief," said Tanya, her eyes sparkling, "when I give my report on what we've found."

"Let's hear it." I said.

Tanya deferred to Detective Julia Rodriguez, who said "We went to the office of Audial Security Systems. They were as unhelpful as they could be, refusing to help us at all until we presented warrants, and then it was still like pulling teeth------"

"Until Detective Rodriguez went all 'Iron Crowbar' on them and started putting people in handcuffs." said a grinning Captain Perlman. "Then their CIO and HR Manager began giving us what the warrants let us have. You'd have been proud of her, Commander."

"I am already." I said with a smile. "Did any data people go with y'all?"

"Yes sir." said Tanya. "Lt. Mary Milton came with us, just to make sure they weren't trying to destroy digital evidence. But let Julia tell you what we found, first."

Julia took it up: "David Lang was the Project Manager and Business Analyst of one of four groups at the office here in our Town & County. In addition to Ashwarya, Tanu, and Amit, there were two other team members: John Seagram, who is white, and Cassandra Lee, whose real Malaysian name is longer and more unpronounceable than 'Subramaniam', no disrespect intended."

"There are three other teams, each with a leader and five others." said Julia. "They all claim to be working on projects in partnership with the University, but our examination of employee and financial records obtained by the warrants show that Audial Security Solutions has one and only one client: MegaTech Industries."

Julia continued: "This whole company is structured almost like a front company for laundering money. MegaTech pays for everything, from salaries to equipment, to the office space, but they work hard to keep their name out of anything to do with Audial. Some of the Audial project ties to the University are real, but very minimal at best. There are currently no University interns or part-time students working there, though there have been in the past. And everything the project groups are doing is for MegaTech Industries."

More Julia: "We could not get information on the projects not connected to David Lang's group, they stopped us on that in Court, but we did learn what Lang's group was doing: they were working on audio systems in MegaTech products such as their 'Alicia' home smart device as well as a 'Ring'-ish security system that has secret microphones listening in on the homes they're installed in... and those listening devices are not shown in the public specs. Lang's group and one of the other groups also worked on collecting and storing the information obtained for MegaTech, and possibly the Government, spying on our Citizens without their knowledge."

"And my daughter wonders why the families of other first-graders in her class have 'Alicia'' devices," I said, "but my wife and I refuse to have any in our home."

"And it's why I have refused to allow those bastard things in any Town & County Police Department building." said Chief Moynahan, just as strongly.

"How long as Audial been in business?" I asked. "And how long did Lang and the members of his team work there?"

Julia consulted some notes, then said "The company was started up eight years ago, with venture capital from a group in San Francisco, California called 'BFWC Venture Capital, LLC.', and 'Dakota Partners Trust, LLC.' from here in our Town & County. I haven't found out much about them, yet."

"Here's a couple of places to start looking." I said. "The 'BFWC' was 'Bruins For a White California', a Los Angeles-baed group similar to 'Superior Bloodlines' and 'White Roots', and associated with them. I believe it was busted up when we took down Superior Bloodlines. You might also look into Henry Boxman's 'Rainbow Insurance' out of San Francisco, also. And 'Dakota Partners Trust' was formed out of Michael Miller's 'MMVC' venture capital firm and Dakota Funding. They were investors in the now-defunct Pine Valley project."

(Author's note:'The Hot Date Mystery' for Michael Miller; 'Gods and Crowbars', Ch. 03, for BFWC; and 'Environmental Hazards', Ch. 01, for Dakota Partners Trust.)

"Thank you, sir." said Julia, having scribbled some notes. "To further answer your questions, Ashwarya, Tanu, and Amit have ben with Audial for six years. David Lang came in three years ago, and as a project manager."

"Where was he before he came to Audial?" I asked.

"That's been more difficult to get." said Julia. "Audial did not keep his résumé on file in H.R., but I.R.S. records show that he worked at a small technology company in Ohio after graduating, a company which is now defunct; and then he worked at a company in San Francisco for four years prior to coming to Audial. I called them, and they would only confirm that he worked there."

"Well." I said. "This is very helpful information, but I'm not sure how it gets us a conviction for murder."

"Sir," said Tanya, "I think maybe we should keep working on it. One never knows what might pop up in the next couple of days... while you're away on vacation tomorrow."

I got the hint: Tanya must know something from her fiancé Jack Muscone. I also noticed the gasps that several Detectives had made.

"Yes," I said, "I have a scheduled vacation day for an event that is beyond my power to re-schedule. So keep sifting through the data and working the leads, and when I get back either Thursday or Friday, hopefully the cases will be solved and I can just twiddle my thumbs... and go on vacation more often."

There was some muted laughter at that, so I said "Guys, this is your chance to shine in front of your Police Chief. I have every confidence in you. You don't need me on these cases, nor any others that crop up. So let's get 'er done."

With that the Chief ended the meeting. As I was leaving, I overheard Joanne say "Well, at least we have the whiteboards..."

Part 11 - Tradition Like No Other

Tuesday evening, April 9th. Cindy Ross and I boarded a full Delta Air Lines jet at City Airport, bound for Atlanta, Georgia. We had tickets to the next day's practice round at The Masters Golf Tournament in Augusta, Georgia. Coach Steve Spurrier had honored our side bet on the Wildcats-Gators game in January, and sent me the two tickets. (Author's note: 'Home For The Holidays', Ch. 05.).

Laura did not want to go with me, so I brought Cindy because she liked golf, and she was good at it. (Author's Note: 'The Murdered Football Player', Ch. 03.). And because she's my blood kin. I had bought the plane tickets months before, when they were cheaper, and I'd been able to upgrade to the emergency window seats, which gave me some additional legroom. So Cindy and I were sitting together and able to talk in hushed tones.

"Mrs. Fitch will be all right." Cindy said. "My father does not let the widows of his friends and benefactors fall through the cracks. Even so, I don't give a damn about the Chief recusing me from the case; I'm going to be doing whatever I can to help Mrs. Fitch."

"That is an Iron Crowbar attitude." I said. "And I like it. We'll see what Cardigan's FBI people have to say about the second will."

"I have to admit that I'm nervous about it." Cindy said. "If there are Swamp Frogs trying to help the Grays get that money, they might co-opt the FBI into saying the second will is the genuine one. And activist judges are one thing, but Harry Nance is crossing the line... not only on this, but a lot of other things."

"He's close to being impeached by the State House again." I said. "The Democrats voted along party lines to save him last time, but they might not hold back next time. And I and some others are considering a publicity campaign to shame him before the People, and help grease the skids for the State Legislature to take him out."

"That'll require Media help." Cindy said. "And while KFXU is less rabidly dishonest than the others, and Priya likes your cock, even they won't go 'all in' to help you when the cards fall."

"True." I said. "But vee have vays to make thee Meeedya do vat ve vant." Cindy looked skeptical at that, and she changed the subject.

"So all these cases are becoming increasingly connected." Cindy said. "I've always been curious since the EMPTY QUIVER event... you've been glommed onto Trent and Quint since that time, even though they did not follow through with Shimono and Barsbane. Why them?"

"Because they are what the military calls 'force multipliers'." I said. "The Swamp Frogs have to this point been rather... amateurish... in their attacks on us. Even making the late CIA Director just that... the late CIA Director... didn't rile them up. But taking out Mitt Willis of BigAgraFoods, and in the very publicly humiliating way that I did it... that riled them up. And when I realized they brought in Trent and Quint, and Paco Domingo, as well... I knew we'd disturbed the hornet's nest, and that they were, and are, playing for keeps now."

"Like they weren't before?" Cindy asked.

"No, it's at a different level than before..."

* * * * * * * * * * * * * *

Hartsfield International Airport in Atlanta is at times the world's busiest airport. The story goes that in the 1950s, Atlanta and Birmingham, Alabama, were competing to be the South's greatest city. Atlanta Mayor William B. Hartsfield had an idea: to make Atlanta Airport a major hub to the fledgling but bustling air industry. And he acted upon the idea, and the Atlanta Airport was made into a major hub.

Thanks to Mayor Hartsfield's vision, Atlanta became a major city. They have one of the regional Federal Reserve locations, tons of conventions and hotels, and the Martin Luthor King, Jr. National Park Center and his burial site is there. Atlanta has all the major sports teams (though they can't seem to keep the hockey teams, and the Falcons suck at pro football), and they pulled off the minor miracle of acquiring and hosting the 1996 Centennial Olympic Games.

By way of contrast, Birmingham remains at best a regional city, with no major sports teams, and even the SEC Championship football game was moved from Birmingham to Atlanta. The 'Iron Bowl', Alabama and Auburn's annual varsity football contest, was made home-and-home, leaving Birmingham. I thought of that history as Cindy and I made our way down the long concourse, then through the baggage area to the car rental booths...

* * * * * * * * * * * * * *

4:00am, Wednesday, April 10th. Cindy and I got into the rental car and headed east on Interstate-20 towards Augusta, Georgia. As I drove, and at reasonable speeds, we got a lot of Police work done, discussing the administrative things for which the Command Group is responsible... including ideas on who to promote to MCD Lieutenant.

At the exit to Appling, GA, I said "That goes to the International Disc Golf Center and museum. They play a pro tournament there every year, and have three great courses. They played the World Championships here and at Fort Gordon in Augusta one year. I'd love to go by there, but we don't have enough time."

"How are you going to throw discs with your bad back?" Cindy asked.

"Ten feet at a time, if I have to, just to say I played on those courses." I said. "And by the way, you worry about my back more than I do."

"No I don't." said Cindy. "I see you wince in pain whenever you get out of your chair, or reach down to pick up Betsy or one of your kids. And yes, it's my job to worry about you. The Chief and Sheriff specifically and explicitly said so."

"Nice to be thought of." I said. Then I said "Seriously, I do appreciate it, just as I appreciate you watching over Tanya whenever she's at a crime scene or trying to get into trouble..."

* * * * * * * * * * * * * *

6:00am, Wednesday, August 10th. We exited onto Georgia State Highway 28 and drove into Augusta. There were people trying to get us to park in their lots, for a nominal fee, of course. I drove on, not really having a clue where I was going. Then we got to a place where everyone was being directed into a field that was a parking lot.

Magnolia Lane goes south from Hwy. 28 to the Main Clubhouse. On either side of the lane are the driving ranges and practice areas. There are stands so that people can watch the tournament players practice. To the side of one of those practice areas is the field for parking. FREE parking. We were efficiently parked into the space with the line of other cars. Only later, when I looked on a satellite map, did I see that the lot was not very large at all, and we'd gotten there in time.

Lucky. Lucky Iron Crowbar.

Cindy and I walked with the stream of people to the gates. They have full scanners like those at airports and many buildings these days. They also gave us a plastic sleeve with a lanyard, told us to put our tickets in them, and make sure the tickets were visible at all times. It reminded me of the security at Valley Villages Hotel on the first day of the EMPTY QUIVER event. (Author's note: 'The Nuclear Option', Ch. 01.)

Now that we were inside, we walked around before the gates opened. We got near the main clubhouse, with the Crow's Nest on top, but of course we could not go in. Two old men in red (not green) Augusta National jackets walked by, helping people and players with whatever they needed help with.

We went by the driving range, where Mr. Gary Player was present. He hit a few balls, instructed a couple of young players, talked to someone about an interview he was scheduled to do, hit a few more balls (and farther and better at his age than I ever could at any age).

As we went to the main gate to wait for it to open, Cindy asked "What's the plan?"

"Why don't we just walk the course, and see what's going on?" I suggested.

Cindy agreed with the plan, then pointed off to our right. "There's Tiger Woods's mom." she said. Indeed, it was Mr. Eldrick T. Woods's mother, with a friend.

"That side building must be where the lockers are, and a place for the players and families to go." I said. Cindy nodded in agreement.

And then the gate opened! The first hole fairway was in front of us. To our left and uphill, right behind the clubhouse, was the first tee. As we came up to the fairway, we saw men inside the ropes with hard hats, like those at a construction site. Smart thinking, I thought... if they get hit on the head with a golf ball, it won't hurt!

We went with a crowd of people down the first hole fairway up to the second hole. There are places where people are allowed to cross the fairways, which are closed off when players are hitting.

As we got to the second hole tee, I said "Well, it's obvious why this hole is called 'Pink Dogwood'." Indeed, looking down the fairway, it was lined on both sides with a seeming wall of pure pink! The pink dogwoods were in full and plentiful bloom, and it was a very impressive site.

"Just look at how well manicured everything is." Cindy said. "Not too much money being spent. Think Teresa would complain about the HOA fees here?"

I laughed. "The monthly dues per member are probably as much as half the TCPD's annual budget." I said. "And yes, Teresa would go ballistic."

We went down the path along the par-5 second hole, which was downhill. As we got to the green, I looked over. Mr. Fred Couples had just teed off the third hole tee and was now walking up the third hole fairway. "Let's follow Fred Couples." I suggested. Cindy liked the idea, and we fell in with the crowd.

Mr. Fred Couples was very nice to the spectators. He talked about the types of shots needed, and his thinking for his shots as we went along the third hole and to the Par-3 fourth hole. Then up the rather steep fifth hole.

Most people have seen the famous sixteenth hole, the par-3 with the lake, where Davis Love III made a great spin-back shot but Tiger Woods got the fame for his duplication of it. The sixth hole tee is on top of the hill behind the sixteenth green, and the sixth green is on the same level as the sixteenth green and behind it. Players shoot down the hillside to the par-3 sixth green.

We were able to stand close to the sixth tee, which was a very downhill shot to the green below. After Fred Couples hit his tee shot with his very smooth swing, Cindy said "He has a bad back, too, but can do that." Fred Couples heard that and looked over, and Cindy said "He's a Police Officer, and was shot in the back."