Fourth Vector Ch. 06

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"Sometimes I don't know why I tolerate you both," said Jack with a sigh.

Greg began to laugh. "Because this mission would be too boring without us."

Jack shook his head as the other two laughed. It died down soon enough as Luke centered his focus back on the target and fired off another few streams of ammunition.

"You got sloppy on that one, Luke. Try that again," instructed Greg.

"I already killed him, Greg," protested Luke while pointing to the bullet-riddled target. "I was just focusing on other areas that haven't been filled with lead already."

Greg gave him a knowing look. "That's the sorriest excuse if I've ever heard one. You should try that one with one of the marine drill instructors and see how far that gets you."

"Probably a boot in the ass at the very least, eh, Greg?" asked Jack.

"At thevery least," confirmed Greg.

"Good thing there's not one of those here," muttered Luke.

Jack wound back his foot and launched it at the man's rear just hard enough to shock him. Luke nearly dropped the rifle as he started to curse, earning a hearty round of laughter from the marine.

"You wouldn't be laughing so hard if I dropped the rifle into the ocean, now would you?" asked a clearly irritated Luke.

"We'd probably be laughing harder because guess who'd be diving in to get it?" asked Greg while pointing down to the commander of theValiant.

Luke once again grumbled under his breath and looked back at the target. Beside them, the coast of Sorella snaked alongside their ships, its brilliant yellow beaches acting as a guide to bring them back to Daimanos' city. They would arrive there this evening finally, after having spent nearly a week anchored off the shore of the ruined fort where the East Sorellan king had met his demise. Of course, most of the topic of discussion was about what awaited them once they arrived back at the city.

"I'm tempted to sail into port with guns blazing," said Luke on the topic as he sat back on his heels. "I don't care if this war really is over. I want them to pay for all the damage they did to theValiant."

"I'm tempted to let you," said Jack. "The way they opened fire on you with no warning deserves some payback at the very least."

"I guess that brings us to the root of the question. Will the city resist us?" asked Greg while taking a seat off the deck. "Are we going to have to take it by force?"

"With what army though?" asked Jack. "We destroyed most of Daimanos' forces back at the fort. I can't imagine there are many left to defend the city."

"There was enough still there to man the cannons," muttered Luke angrily.

"And I'm guessing a man like Daimanos didn't leave his palace unguarded," added Greg. "We may have to call the boys up and storm the city once again."

"I'm sure word has gotten back to them by now of the king's death," said Jack. "I imagine it would've probably taken the fight out of them."

"And if it hasn't?" asked Greg.

Jack shrugged. "It's not much that a simple shelling couldn't fix. If we open up with theDestiny's guns from long range—where their cannons couldn't touch us—I'm sure they would soon come to terms."

Luke nodded at Jack's word. "I rather hope they do resist. I could use some action now. Maybe they'll be foolish enough to think they can withstand us."

Jack started to chuckle. "I got the impression that the only foolish person there was Daimanos. Especially when it seemed that even his own ministers were tired of his shit. We do know there were survivors from the battle, and I'm sure they've had enough time to make the long trek back to the city. Surely they know the war is as good as done. The only question I have is how the rest of the marines are doing? Would they be up for another battle?"

Greg started to laugh. "My boys were born to fight, and when they go too long without a battle, they're at their most dangerous. They'll always do their duty, I can promise you that."

"It's not so much their prowess that I'm worried about," said Jack. "I meant we've taken some losses since you've been aboard. Are we still in good fighting shape if we were to have to fight again?"

Greg nodded. "The current count as of this morning is one hundred and sixty-one fighting men ready to go. Several of the men that were down before have now since recovered. I have wounded men, all varying in range from just being grazed by a bullet to one who won't fight again. But if you think about it, we've had three major actions already."

Jack counted off on his fingers. "Taking back theTiger, the fight on Lishkerra and holding the line at West Sorella. That's my three."

"Exactly, and the last two fights were the most costly in terms of casualties," affirmed Greg. "We've had about a nineteen percent casualty rate which for three battles is pretty damn good. Long story short, Jack—the boys are ready and raring to go."

Luke nodded toward the rear gun turret. "Looks like someone else is ready to go as well."

The three of them turned at once to find the king making his way toward the aft to join them. Heron raised his hand once he saw he had their attention, waving to them as his nimble footsteps brought them closer.

"Morning, gentlemen," called out Heron as he came to a stop by the three officers.

"Morning, Heron," said Jack. "The boys and I are just getting a little target practice in."

Heron nodded and then looked out to sea, spotting the launch boat and the target which happened to be adorned with some very familiar features. "I see that! Has Daimanos been giving you any trouble? With the looks of those weapons, I should hope not!"

Luke put on a wide grin. "We have it all taken care of, Your Majesty. That red cape of his makes for great target practice."

"That it does, that it does," said Heron before turning to look at Jack. "We should be arriving at the East Sorellan capitol in the next few hours."

"Yes, we were just talking about that right now," confirmed Jack. "Even though it feels like we just left it, how long has it been since you were there last?"

Heron's eyes rolled up in thought. "Let's see. It's probably been about four or five years since I was over to this side. Of course in those days, it was just a small settlement pushed against the sea. There was always a naval base there, and that was rapidly built up once it became Daimanos' capitol. Yet, I'm most eager to see this palace he'd built for himself. If Nikias' description of it is true, it will be most impressive to see."

"Oh, it's impressive all right," said Greg. "Built to satisfy one man's hubris."

"Right you are, Greg," said Heron. "But I think with this war over, I have other plans for the palace now."

"Do you think you'll move in, Your Majesty?" asked Luke. "Make it your own? Forgive me for saying this, but your own residence in West Sorella doesn't seem very grand," said Luke, assuming a sheepish look as all three men looked his way. "I mean for a king, that is."

Heron shook his head quickly. "No, no, that is our ancestral home. Sorellan kings have made that tiny castle their home for nearly two millennia. I couldn't easily leave the castle when it was built by the muscle and blood of my forefathers."

"What should you do with the new palace then?" asked Greg.

Heron shrugged. "Tear it down, brick by brick. Such a monument to my brother's ego shouldn't be left standing."

Luke's mouth dropped open. "That thing is huge though. Why tear it down?"

"It's simple really. As long as it stands, it's a reminder of our civil war. Had the war not happened, it wouldn't exist. How many people had to suffer for that ungainly palace to go up? Too many. I intend to level it to the ground and return it to what it was: a simple hillside grove."

"Not to play devil's advocate but I'm sure getting back some of that raw material will help with the rebuilding efforts," said Jack. "All that marble and stonework would go a long way to helping the city get back on its feet."

"My thoughts exactly too, Jack," said Heron while clapping the man on the back. "What better way to show the people of that city that they can trust me as their king?"

"I think by seeing that you're going to let them live will do that on its own, Your Majesty," said Greg. "Any man can see easily that you're not your brother. Once they see that, I'm sure they'll welcome you with open arms."

"We can hope but as the king, I have to be prepared for all eventualities," said Heron. "That's the thing about kingship. Sometimes you find you can never do enough to please your subjects. Even the best of intentions can backfire in your face. So I'm a bit worried about reintegrating them back into our society."

"Well, I'm sure helping them rebuild will be a good start, regardless," said Jack.

"Ah, but there's something else, Jack. Something bigger that will help our fortunes," said Heron with a twinkle in his eye. "My brother's treasury. My brother had enough gold to fill my entire quarters below deck. Most of it, of course, taken from the common people to pay for the war and his opulence. I have no doubt the palace was financed off the backs of the common people but if we can take Daimanos' treasury, it can really help to rebuild Sorella."

"That is as long as it's still there," said Jack. "Maintaining soldiers is expensive. How do we know that he didn't spend it all during the war?"

Heron shook his head. "Nikias has told me all about it. Daimanos kept it in a locked wing of his palace. Only himself and the ministers had the keys to it, which is why I know how much gold is in there. There's more than enough to kick-start our recovery."

"That does leave us one question," said Jack. "There's still one of Daimanos' ministers that is unaccounted for. The First Minister, Barak. If he's now the only other person who has access to it, save for Nikias, who's to say he won't take off with it?"

"Or fortify the city to protect it against us?" asked Greg. "If it's as much gold as you claim, that's enough to buy plenty of mercenaries and make us pay a heavy toll for taking it."

"He wouldn't have the time to hire that many men since the battle," said Heron. "Perhaps if we waited a few months but it's only been a week. I guarantee he's still scrambling and that's if he is in the city. Who's to say he hasn't scampered off and left the island?"

"The whole plan sounds rather foolproof," said Greg. "I like it—don't get me wrong. Enter the city like heroes, recover the gold, demolish the symbol of the tyrant, and put Sorella back together. But plans rarely go as they're written. I just don't think it will be that easy."

"We can only hope, Greg," said Heron. "Barring any catastrophes, it's our best course of action."

"Assuming everything goes according to plan, then what?" asked Jack. "Are we going to go back to your city? Back to West Sorella?"

Heron nodded. "Yes, we'll go back. The people are already rebuilding there, and they could use their king back as well. Plus, it will feel good to enjoy peace once more. Then maybe we can all grow fat and old on the tidings of peace."

"Hopefully not too fat and old," came another voice not far away. The men turned to watch the king's daughter, Elektra, making her way toward them. The young redhead wore a confident smile as she strolled into their presence, coming to rest by her father.

"Ah, Elektra, there you are," said Heron with a smile.

"Are you bothering our allies, father?" asked Elektra with a beaming grin.

"More like just strategizing about the next few weeks," answered Jack with a head nod toward the woman.

"Do you always strategize over target practice?" asked Elektra while pointing out to the launch boat. "Especially when it's done up to resemble my uncle?"

"Only on special occasions," said Luke with a sheepish grin.

"May I?" asked the princess, holding out her hand toward Luke's rifle.

"Of course," said Luke quickly while moving to stand up. "It's a little different than the muskets you're used to but the same basic principles. Just squeeze the trigger to fire when you're ready."

Elektra examined the NT-12 rifle for several moments before laying prone against the ship's deck. Taking careful sight of the target of Daimanos, she let off several short bursts of fire.

"Damn, great shot!" said Greg excitedly as he examined her work through his binoculars. "You're a better shot than Luke!"

"No way, let me see," grumbled Luke as he grabbed the marine's binoculars. He checked out the floating target on his own and soon could be heard muttering under his breath.

"Say, Elektra, would you like a position in our marines?" asked Greg directly to the princess as she pushed up from the deck.

"I'd say you'd have to ask my father on that one," said Elektra with a shy smile. "I highly doubt he'd let me fight in the armed forces of another country."

"You'd be right about that one," said Heron with an amused look. "Besides, you have a much higher calling than being a simple gun for hire."

Elektra took a deep sigh and then looked back out to sea. While not voicing any concerns publicly, Jack could tell something about her future bothered her. He suspected he knew the real reason for it, but it would remain a mystery until further confirmation. After a little more conversation on the aft deck, Jack was the first to excuse himself when he felt his stomach begin to rumble.

"I hate to be the first one to leave but I'm famished," said Jack. "I'm going to grab a bite to eat."

"I should probably get back to my study as well," said Heron with a quick turn. Before he left, he looked over at Luke and Greg. "If you two are planning any more target practice anytime soon, please let me know. It's been many years since I shot anything beyond a pistol, but I wouldn't mind trying my hand at one of your rifles."

"I'd be honored to have you shoot with us, Your Majesty," said Greg with a wide smile.

Heron gave one final wave before leaving the aft and heading below deck. While Greg and Luke were content to get back to their shooting, the only other participant to their conversation was watching Jack.

"Actually, I'm a little hungry myself. Do you think I can come with you, Jack?" asked Elektra.

"Of course," said Jack. "Just bear with me. I'm a little slow still because of this wound."

She gave a warm smile and followed him after they said their goodbyes to the other two men. Once they were a safe distance away, Elektra turned to speak to Jack.

"My father seems to like you," she started while they ducked into the nearest hatch. "It's been so long since I've seen a smile on his face that I'm just not used to it."

"From what I've seen, your people haven't had a lot to be happy about recently. Hopefully, we can turn that around now," said Jack.

Elektra nodded. "My mother used to be able to make him smile easily, even toward the end when my brother died. I swear when she passed, he became so withdrawn. I've never seen him like that before. All of a sudden, he wasn't the same father that he'd always been. He was colder and seemingly more resigned to his fate. It's a miracle you showed up when you did."

"My time in his kingdom has been well spent," said Jack. "I've enjoyed my time with your father and what our alliance means for our peoples. I'm also glad to hear that he seems like his old self."

"Especially now that we're on the cusp of victory. There's so many people who aren't alive anymore that should be the ones to witness this day. Mother, my brother Theo, and my sister Hera, all deserved to see this day. It's a shame that they won't."

Jack nodded in agreement as they reached the mess kitchen. Bidding Elektra to take a seat, he grabbed trays of food for the both of them and sat down right beside her.

"You're right—it is a shame," he started. "That they won't be able to see the new Sorella is a tragedy in itself. But the fates have provided you with a chance to start over. A new beginning. We can't squander that."

Elektra lifted her chin. "I don't intend to. Although I wish father saw it a bit differently than I do."

"What do you mean by that?"

She looked his way. "Tell me, Jack. What did you think about my shooting back above deck? Was it good?'

Jack blinked a few times before answering. "Good? It was great. Even Greg thought so, and he rarely gives out such praise on the first go-around."

"I've been practicing for years. Since I could hold a musket in my hands, I wanted to be a good shot. Of course, father was more tolerant of it when Hera was still around. As I was the youngest daughter, I was never supposed to inherit the throne so it didn't matter what I did. Even when Theo died and Hera became the heir apparent, it still didn't bother him much."

"But you wanted to be a fighter, not a queen," finished Jack. "And now you don't really have much of a choice."

Elektra scoffed. "Not according to my father. It's his opinion that I should just give up my training, find some noble man to marry, and then start popping out babies like I'm some kind of dog. That I can't be a warrior and a queen at the same time."

"I'm sure he's just trying to look out for you. He's your father—he just wants what's best for his daughter. Especially his only remaining daughter."

"Then he should let me fight, Jack!" said Elektra with more steel in her voice. "I don't need to get married. I'm only nineteen! I can lead troops and shoot with the best of our soldiers. I belong on a battlefield and not in some throne room."

"But you are the last of his children, Elektra," said Jack. "It is essential that you become queen and continue the line."

"I can still do that! I'm not saying I'll never get married but let me continue with my career while I'm able. I can still settle down years from now and pop out heirs all I want."

Jack gave her a confused look. "I'm sure he'd be fine with that. As long as you eventually married."

She shook her head fiercely. "He wants me to be courted right now! He wants to marry me off as soon as possible. I don't understand what the hurry is. I'm still young, Jack. We don't need to worry about that any time soon."

"True and you make a lot of good points," said Jack while taking a bite of his food. "But there is something to consider. He just lost all of these people close to him. Your mother and your siblings for example. You are all that he has left. I'm sure he's more concerned with you finding happiness than anything else."

"Happiness for me is being in the army," said Elektra bitterly.

Jack smiled gently. "There may come a time when your priorities change. What is so important to you today may not be as important tomorrow. It happened to my own sister rather suddenly too."

She looked at him with curious eyes. "What happened with your sister?"

Jack smiled as his eyes drifted off. "She used to be adamant about becoming a professor at a local university not far from our family home. It was all she talked about for years. Even attended the same college and ingratiated herself with the existing professors in order to make a name for herself. But none of it came to pass."

"Why's that?" asked Elektra. "What happened?"

Jack smiled. "She met my brother-in-law. One moment she was attending college events and working on her senior thesis and the next she was chasing one of her many children. They have three of them now, and the oldest one is eight. I asked her not long before this mission started if she ever regretted how her life turned out and do you know what she said?"

Elektra shook her head slowly.

"That she wouldn't change how it turned out for anything. That she found her purpose and what she was meant for. And she's completely happy with her new life even if it's not how she pictured it growing up."

"So you think I just need to get married and pop out babies too?" asked Elektra with a sour look on her face.

123456...9