Fourth Vector Ch. 24

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"I'd like to be the first to say welcome to the Javan Empire, Katherine," said Charles finally, once he'd resumed his seat behind his desk. "I hope you find our hospitality welcoming for your first visit to our country."

Kat's polite smile never wavered. "I find the company of my host to be exceptional," she said, stepping closer to Jack. The movement caused a raised eyebrow from Bancroft, but otherwise elicited no comment from the emperor.

Before Charles had the chance to respond, Bancroft opened up with the first line of questioning, this time to Jack. "I don't recall Galicia being one of the names of the places you've been, Jack. How is it that Katherine here came to be in your party?"

"Almost by accident, sir," said Jack. "I ran into her when we were in Sorella."

"By ran into, he means that he saved my life," interrupted Kat as she shot Jack a coy look. "My guide had been killed by brigands, and I was next on the chopping block. Jack killed those brigands and rescued me from a grisly death."

"How fortunate for you then that Jack was there," added Bancroft with a suspicious stare. "And how does a regent of Galicia find herself in such danger in a foreign country?"

"It's quite the long story," said Kat as she shifted her attention back to him. "The short of it was that I've been on my own quest to locate the king of our country."

"The king?" asked Charles as he blinked several times. "I'm confused. I thought you were the regent?"

"I'm the rightful regent," she confirmed. "Galicia hasn't had kings in nearly two hundred years. The last king's family was killed, which resulted in the regents taking power to rule the country in the name of the kings."

"It seems you've answered your own question then," chirped Bancroft. "If the kings are all dead, then what was the point of your searching? Or were you to find a new king?"

"Our prophecy states that one of the children of the last king survived and is still living amongst us." Kat gave a curious look to Jack, almost as if she was seeking permission on whether to continue with the whole story. He remained silent, trusting in her instincts.

"Ah, the prophecy, of course," said Charles dismissively as he gave an amused look to Bancroft. It became obvious that most of Kat's credibility went out the window at that moment. Despite her words, Bancroft was still interested in her background.

"So if you're here, who is ruling Galicia then?" he questioned. "Do you have a secondary regent?"

"My cousin rules in Galicia now," she answered. "He deposed me almost four years ago now to take power for himself."

Bancroft reached up to rub his chin as his eyes danced back and forth between Jack and Kat. "So you're not a current head of state then? Just a former regent?"

"I'm the rightful regent," she repeated, refusing to acknowledge his charge.

"Right," answered Bancroft. "And now you're his guide, correct? That's what I remember from the dispatches."

"Correct," she answered coolly, meeting his gaze head-on.

The two of them seemed to be locked in silent combat for a moment, their eyes appraising their opponent. Jack merely watched this from Kat's side, wondering what the next question would bring.

"Interesting," said Bancroft finally, taking a step away. He then moved closer to Horatio and Owen, stopping just short of them. "And you two represent the countries of Carinthia and Picardy."

"Have we sent viceroys there yet?" interrupted the emperor.

"Not yet," said Bancroft.

"About that, I think we should talk about that first," said Jack before he was silenced by disappointed looks from both Bancroft and Charles.

Bancroft turned his attention back to the two commanders. "Which of your countries was the one to discover the flying contraption?"

Ever since the battle, word had gotten out about the airplanes that launched the first wave of attacks against the Occitanian fleet. Half of the Javan fleet had seen them soar through the sky to send the first bombs dropping on the enemy warships, and they'd been the talk of the navy ever since.

"That would be mine, sir," said Horatio. "We invented the airplane some months ago after our engineers mastered the science behind controlled flight."

"Your airplanes made quite the impression on the rest of our officers," said Bancroft with a thin smile. "I have to attribute a good portion of our victory to the demoralizing aspect of seeing those bombs dropping from the sky."

"What we don't have in numbers, we've made up for with airplanes," said Horatio.

"Indeed," replied Bancroft before shifting his gaze to Jack. "I'd like you to leave one of those airplanes here so I can have some men take a look at it. This could be a definite game-changer in regards to the war."

Jack nodded while Bancroft questioned the two commanders for another five minutes or so before he turned his attention back to Kat. At the current moment, she had pressed in closer to Jack to watch the conversation occurring, but it was that closeness that seemed to draw Bancroft's attention.

"It's an interesting array of people you've brought back with you, Jack," said the admiral as he once more looked at Kat. At least his appraisal stopped at her face, unlike the emperor who was at this moment checking out Kat's ass. "Somehow, I expected you to bring more with you than just two destroyer commanders and a deposed regent."

Jack sucked some air into his mouth as drastic words died on his tongue. His gaze hardened as he looked at Bancroft, but it was only the soft touch of Kat that prevented him from arguing the point.

A touch that was noticed by everyone in the room.

"It would appear that there is more to this relationship than one of simple guidance," said Charles, his head nodding at Kat's hand.

Jack could feel Kat's eyes on his, no doubt wondering what response to give. In the interim, Bancroft moved in front of them, his eyes darting back and forth between them.

"It's true, isn't it?" he asked with a hint of accusation.

"It is," said Kat firmly. "Jack and I are lovers."

You could have heard a pin drop in that room. Bancroft remained unmoved, rubbing his chin in appraisal while Charles looked to be the most disappointed, his eyes finally leaving Kat's body in the acknowledgment that she was spoken for.

"Quite the development," said Charles finally.

"Indeed it is," added Bancroft as he fixed his eyes more firmly on Jack.

Jack could feel the weight of each of their stares as well as the silent appraisal that it caused. Between them, Kat grabbed his hand and squeezed it gently, an affirmation needed on whether she did the right thing in telling them.

He squeezed her hand in return for his answer.

"She's right," he said finally. "There's nothing to hide about it. While she's been my guide, something more has happened."

"It raises an interesting question though," said Bancroft as he crossed his arms in front of his chest. "A simple naval officer seems quite below the station of a head of state, no?" He looked at Kat. "I would have thought you'd have set your sights a bit higher."

"I believe there's no one higher than Jack," she shot back, her eyebrows drawn tight in anger.

"He's hardly a king or emperor," said Charles, pointing at Jack.

"That's where you're wrong," said Kat, earning a surprised glance from Jack. She turned her head back to him. "It's okay," she whispered softly. "It was going to come out eventually."

"Now though?" he whispered back.

Bancroft blinked. "What's going to come out?"

"Who Jack really is," said Kat, turning her attention back to the two men. "You heard me say earlier that I was searching for the king of my country. The Galician King. Jack is that man."

Silence greeted that statement like an old friend. Charles didn't seem to quite know where to look. Bancroft's mouth was open in disbelief. Even Mortimus looked calmly at the floor, while Horatio and Owen looked like the statement was as natural as telling the weather.

"Let me get this straight," said Bancroft as he rubbed his eyes with his fingers. "You believe Jack Easterbrook is your king? Jack, who grew up in Java?"

Kat nodded fiercely. "He is. And I'll tell you why." She launched into an abbreviated version of the prophecy, of her family, of the search for him, and why it could only be Jack. The explanation went on for nearly fifteen minutes while the rest of the men listened with rapt attention.

"So you believe him to be the long lost great-great-great-grandson of some kid who faked his death?" asked Charles with an air of seriousness. "That he's been across the ocean the entire time, waiting to retake his throne?"

Kat looked back at him like it was the most obvious suggestion in the world. "Of course."

Bancroft and Charles took one look at each other and lost it. Both men started to laugh. Charles' laugh was more obnoxious and he smacked his knee several times with the palm of his hand. Bancroft's was more reserved, but it became obvious after several moments that Kat was less than amused.

"I don't see what's so funny," she said while her arms crossed under her breasts.

"It's not every day that I hear a tale like that one, young lady," said Charles, wiping a tear from his cheek. "That's a good one. Not a bad fantasy though, eh, Jack? I bet being a king would be better off than being an admiral."

Jack didn't respond to that, but beside him, he could feel Kat's anger growing.

"I'm glad that you both find it amusing, but what you're laughing about has caused me four years of searching while getting kicked out of my homeland and having a bounty put on my head," she said angrily.

"Listen, we didn't set this up for fantastical stories," said Bancroft as he resumed control. "We wanted to meet a foreign head of state so we could see how you could be of aid to the Javan Empire. All stories aside, let's focus on that."

"What do you mean aid?" asked Kat with a raised chin. "The same type of aid that you require of Sorella and Andalucia?"

"Exactly," said Bancroft simply, not responding to her indignity. "I understand that Galicia may not be part of the Javan Empire yet but if you're willing to join us, how can you make us better?"

Kat regarded the question coolly. "Galicia is not a colony. Not to you. Not to anyone."

"You may want to choose your next words more wisely," advised Charles with a serious glare. "I don't allow insolence in my presence. From my own subjects or otherwise."

Jack finally intervened. He placed his hand on Kat's arm, gently reining her back in. "It's okay," he whispered before turning his attention back to the emperor. "Kat isn't in charge of Galicia, Your Majesty. Any aid to Java would have to come after she regains the country."

"Or if you do, right, Jack?" asked Bancroft with a hint of a smile.

Jack held back his temper. "Right. But we should do it this time without viceroys."

Bancroft rolled his eyes. "Again with the viceroys, Jack?"

"If you would listen to me explain why, then it would make more sense," Jack pressed. "The viceroys do more harm than good. They are too harsh and they demand too much. They are more likely to push these countries away than to lend us the aid that we're seeking."

"In case you haven't realized, Jack, we are at war," said Charles. "We need all the extra aid we can get to come out on top."

"Would you rather have some aid or no aid?" asked Jack. "You'll receive none if you succeed in getting us kicked out of the countries we've fought so hard to ally with."

"Then we'll just retake them when the time is right. I have a long memory, Jack," said the emperor ominously. "I always remember a slight."

"Why retake them in the first place? If we soften our stance toward them, they can be of more use to us now, not later. If we're too hard on them then they will rebel, requiring us to resend forces to retake them," argued Jack. Noticeably, Kat was staring at him while he made his argument, no doubt trying to figure out what he was up to.

Charles pursed his lips. "You believe we'll catch more bees with honey then, Jack? That is the nature of your suggestion, no?"

Jack nodded. "That's entirely correct. And if the first reports are any indication, the first two viceroys need replaced. They are entirely ill-suited for the job, and on the verge of making us lose our foothold there."

Charles seemed to actually consider the request. Jack could see his wheels turning but couldn't get a read on which way he might lean.

"I'll think about it," replied the emperor finally. "As a favor to our conquering hero here," he said, gesturing to Jack. "I think these lands may not fully understand the benefit of being even a junior partner in the empire. They should think of the prosperity that it might lend to them."

"I bet those lands would prefer their freedom over servitude," challenged Kat, causing the emperor to glare at her.

"If they're given a choice," shot back Charles, raising the temperature in the room considerably.

"They're more resourceful than you think," she said.

He didn't respond to that, only choosing to glare at her before it softened after a minute. Finally, Charles' eyes went back to Jack. "Like I said, I'll think about it. But you should also think about changing your messaging to these people."

Jack nodded but remained silent. He didn't bother to challenge the statement, knowing it was also futile. Colony just didn't have the same status as ally, no matter which way he spun it. The insistence on that distinction would mark any further effort fruitless.

"Let's put aside the talk about the colonies for now," said the emperor, trying to keep his tone on the lighter side. "What we really need to talk about is what assignment is befitting for our latest addition to the admiralty ranks. I'm sure you'd want a new mission that reflects your change in status, no?"

Jack glanced over to Kat before he answered. "Actually, I'd much prefer to go back to the Vector, Your Majesty. My work there isn't done. There's still places to go and enemies to fight. Even now, we are fighting an enemy in the country of Picardy. I would like to rejoin that fight."

Bancroft's mouth fell open. He put himself between Jack and Charles. "Why go back to the Vector, Jack? Especially when you can do something like lead the invasion of Occitania? With the blockade being shattered, it's time for us to put together a second invasion. Wouldn't you like to command the forces that shepherd it across the channel?"

"With all due respect, Admiral, I believe my purpose is across the ocean," said Jack tentatively. "I can still bring a lot of glory to Java there. Besides, I'm sure there is no shortage of qualified men to lead the cross channel invasion force."

Charles scoffed and rolled his eyes while Bancroft stared at him with an unreadable expression. "The admiral who leads the final charge into Occitania will go down in the history books, Jack. You want to turn that down to fight savages across the ocean?"

"I wouldn't fight so hard for it if I didn't believe it to be my purpose," he answered firmly.

Bancroft's gaze flirted back and forth between him and Kat. He stepped closer to Jack and lowered his voice. "Perhaps you'd like time to think this over? Opportunities like this don't come around that often. I'd like to make sure that you think over it with a clear mind." He shot a dirty look to Kat. "And without influence."

"She has no bearing on my choice," said Jack softly. "This is my responsibility."

"It's where he belongs," confirmed Kat.

Charles scoffed again, throwing up his arms and walking back to his desk. "If that's your decision then, go ahead. Go back to those savage lands while one of your colleagues wins the glory."

It was obvious the emperor was angry but then something remarkable happened. Bancroft crossed the room wordlessly to whisper something in the emperor's ear. For a span of a few seconds, he continued to speak, unheard by the rest of them. Kat shared a sympathetic glance with Jack before the emperor finally straightened up.

"Oh, all right," he said, more out of exhaustion than agreeability. "I doubt that will change anything but it's your call."

Getting his way, Bancroft moved back to Jack, his expression neutral as usual. "Jack, this meeting is over for today. We'd like you to come back in the morning for another discussion." He turned his eyes back to Kat. "Come alone this time."

Jack nodded and the customary goodbyes were given between them and the commanders before they were shown the door to the palace. As they left the grounds of the imposing building, Kat deliberately hung back with Jack. Once they were back on the street, her arm snaked in between his and she turned to him with a sorrowful expression.

"I'm sorry, Jack," she said quietly, her eyes lowered.

"I was about to say the same thing to you," he said with a small smile. "But what's on your mind?"

"That wasn't exactly the greatest meeting," she continued. "I think I made it worse with my presence."

"Why? Because you dared to speak the truth?"

She shrugged. "That and their reaction about your kingship." She shook her head quickly. "I can't believe they took it as a joke."

"Of all the reactions that I expected, that was quite far down on the list," he replied as they neared the main east-west street of Aberdeen. They turned in the direction of the docks, passing by several early workers now on the way home. "At least it stems my fear of their reaction a little. I don't think they'll replace me for that matter alone."

Kat huffed. "Only because they thought it toofantastical to consider. The nerve on them to act that way!"

"Can you see why things are so bad in Java?" he asked. "First Bancroft and now the emperor. Some homecoming this was."

"I wasn't expecting much from them, especially at first when they couldn't take their eyes off my tits," she said. "I fear I'd lost all my credibility though when we talked about who you really were."

"It may be a blessing in disguise. Let's be thankful they didn't see fit to strip me of my command as a conflict of interest," he warned. "That could have been much worse."

"Even still, I'm sorry for not holding my temper a little better." Kat squeezed his hand.

"I apologize as well," said Jack. "I know I probably confused you with my talk about getting more 'colonies' over there. Your eyes were almost bugging out at one point."

Kat smiled. "Only because I thought you lost your mind for a moment. So you were doing that on purpose?"

He nodded. "I felt like if I put things in a language they would understand, it might make things a little easier. My attempt to reframe the argument might still work."

"We can hope," she said as they neared theDestiny. They watched as Owen and Horatio split off to go to their ships, offering waves to them as they reboarded. "In any event, it doesn't seem likely that you'll get that other assignment now based upon your argument."

"I hope so." Jack squeezed her hand and then leaned in to kiss her. "My purpose is in the West. With my people."

Kat could only beam with a bright smile in response.

*****

On the other side of the world, Will Calland took a large step off theTreasure to reach the docks of the city of Marmora, the capital of the country of Apulia. Like every other dock in the world, the smell of fish and sea salt filled the air and gentle waves washed up against and sometimes over the wooden planks.

It had been close to a week to the day since they'd left Galicia, theTreasure making a slow but steady pace across the great ocean. The first leg of the journey had been the most daunting. There were over a hundred miles of open waters between Galicia and Apulia and for days they sailed without seeing land. That ended about midway through the week, and the great landmass of Apulia was finally spotted on the fifth day.