Fourth Vector Ch. 39

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Approval to launch the invasion came swifter than Jack realized. Santino Altieri, Hendrick Tysen, and Queen Reina were all onboard with his plan to invade the underbelly of the main island of Swabia. Reina even lent him some transport ships in the process, and as a result, nearly half of the army would be able to be in the first wave of the invasion--some twenty-eight thousand men.

It was the largest invasion force that had ever assembled in that part of the world. As they left Zarah, Jack's force stopped first in Andalucia only to find the country empty of Swabians. They'd also been pulled back to Swabia, all awaiting the final showdown.

"They pulled back just when things were getting interesting, Your Majesty," said Masud, the reigning Regent of Andalucia for Jack. "We were beginning to make them bleed during the occupation."

Jack chuckled. "I have no doubt that you would. At least we can say that Andalucia is free from Swabian influence once again, right?"

"Aye, Jack, right you are," said Masud.

After his short jaunt to Andalucia, Jack continued further south to link up with Greg's small force down in Sorella, where he set foot on the tiny island for the first time in about a year.

"We knew you'd come back," said Nikias with a broad grin as work progressed on rebuilding their capital.

"There was no way we were going to leave Sorella in the dust!" replied Jack as they shook hands firmly.

That evening, Jack spent the night in the hospitality of Nikias and Elektra, listening to their tale about the native Sorellans fighting back against the Swabians. As darkness finally descended, Jack took a moment to step outside the city and walk down to the harbor, where he looked across the quiet ocean to the west.

He wasn't alone for very long. Hearing footsteps behind him, he turned to see Greg approaching him from behind.

"Taking some time to think?" asked Greg with a wry smile as he looked out to the ocean.

"Something like that," replied Jack. "Just imagining what's going to be waiting for us on the other side of that ocean."

"I never thought we'd see the day, frankly," said Greg. "We're finally about to invade Swabia. I feel like everything we've worked toward in the last two years is now coming to fruition."

"We're in the best place possible now to do this invasion," said Jack. "We have the army, the navy, and we have our entire alliance behind us."

"It's a mighty host," agreed Greg. "Woe to the Swabians. They are going to need all the help they can get."

Jack grinned at his old friend. "It wasn't that long ago that we stood on this very same spot and wondered how we were going to tackle that empire."

Greg started to nod. "A lot has changed since then. Especially about you, Your Majesty."

Jack chuckled. "A lot has changed. And a lot still will change. I'm just glad things have been mostly settled before we attempt this."

"You're talking about the other islands?"

"Yes and no," replied Jack. "I'm glad the other lands have been liberated but I'm also glad we aren't leaving anything in our rear. I'm glad that Bancroft is across the ocean and not able to interfere with this. I'm also glad that I don't have to worry about trouble on the domestic front."

"I'm guessing you're talking about your wives?" asked Greg.

"Yes, thankfully," said Jack while blowing air through his lips. "How quickly they've resumed being best friends. I'm just glad it's blown over."

Greg grinned. "I'll never understand women."

"You and me both. At least you only have one to deal with," shot Jack.

"Well, she is your sister," quipped Greg.

"Speaking of, how did the dispatch of the destroyerStingray go today?" asked Jack.

"As well as I expected," said Greg. "She's on her way back to Java now."

That was the best news that Jack could hear. The Stingray had been put on a most important mission, one that had been born out of the failed assassination attempt on Jack. With that attempt came the realization that Bancroft would stop at nothing to hurt him, and by extension, hurt his loved ones. There was really only one group of people that Bancroft had direct access to and that meant his adoptive sister, Jocelyn, and her family.

That was why Jack summoned the crew of the Javan destroyerStingray and put them on this top-secret mission. Jack tasked the commander of the destroyer, Lt. Commander Thomas Wentz, with putting together a quick rescue operation to retrieve Jocelyn and her family from Java and bring them back to Galicia.

If pressed on it, Thomas had been instructed to tell the Javans he escaped from Jack's command and wished to fight for his homeland once again. He was to use that cover to locate Jocelyn and then steal away from Java at the first opportunity. The hope was that the destroyer could outrun just about anything that could catch her on the way back to the West.

The odds were greatly against them and Jack made sure that Thomas understood how deadly this mission could be. Thomas didn't hesitate and his crew set sail this afternoon for Java.

It was Jack's only chance at making sure he saw his sister again, especially before Bancroft got any ideas.

With the matter settled, Jack turned his attention back to the sea.

"The Swabians will be waiting for us over there," he said ominously. "They will be preparing for our invasion, training as much as they can."

"I don't doubt that they'll give us everything they've got," agreed Greg.

"They'll be ready for action," said Jack as he turned to look at Greg. "Will we?"

Greg started to nod. "Aye, Jack. I think we will be."

"Good," replied Jack. "Then let's finish this war."

1...5678910