Fractured

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"You mean to tell me that you spent the past seventeen years disrespecting me and our family without ever considering the consequences? How can I believe potential consequences would ever stop you from your damn, self-centered behavior?"

Her tears made their return appearance. "Please, Dave. One more chance. Is that too much to ask?"

"Yes, damn it, it is! One or two times due to some, I don't know, weird psychological episode, or too much alcohol, then maybe I could work past this." Dave stood, paced the floor, and shouted at Linda for the first time in their lives. "But seventeen fricken years? What was it? I know he's not bigger. Did he have some special skill that melted your resistance? Or maybe you just realized you married the wrong brother and you're really in love with him? What made screwing him so irresistible for you, huh? TELL ME WHY!"

Linda flopped down on the couch and tried to respond through her sobs. "NO, NO, NO! I never loved him. I didn't even really like him. And he was terrible in bed. Selfish. He never considered me."

"Wow," Dave calmly exclaimed. "So, for bad sex with someone you didn't even like, you risked everything by carrying on for seventeen years. Just imagine how warm and fuzzy I feel knowing that you cared so little for me that you kept going after lousy sex and never tried to end your affair. And you still can't tell me why, can you?"

"I don't know," she shouted. "I really don't know. It was beyond stupid and selfish. The first time was a stupid mistake after drinking too much when you were away. After that it was because he threatened to tell you if we didn't keep meeting. I don't know, maybe there was some small thrill of getting away with doing something naughty. I can't tell you why. I just don't know!"

"How's the thrill now, Linda? Face it. We're through."

Dave stared at her while she sobbed, and thought it was time to ease up the barrage of anger. "Take a few minutes and pull yourself together. Do you want a water?"

"Please," she said with a whimper.

He grabbed a bottle out of the fridge and handed it to her. "When you're ready, come to the table and we'll talk about the paperwork and living arrangements."

Allie sat on her bed listening to her parents' exchange. She didn't want to cry but couldn't control herself. Hearing them fight broke her heart. It broke even more when she heard her dad's pain. Somehow, though, the anger she held for her mother kept her composed. She and her dad would heal together. As far as she was concerned, her mother could rot in the misery of her own making.

Dave took the opportunity to use the powder room. He let the tears fall that he didn't want Linda to see. He had to gain control, harden himself, and shield his responses to the lingering feelings he still had for his wife. Everything from that point had to be handled without emotion.

*****

Dave exited the powder room and noticed Linda was slowly walking towards the dining room. He went in and sat across from her. She looked up at him. Her face was puffy, and her red eyes showed evidence of her crying and distress. He saw a sadness in her that he had hoped to never witness. Her demeanor revealed complete brokenness. He felt completely torn between taking pleasure in her misery and wanting to take away her pain. It hurt him to see her like that. Frayed emotions were not helping either of them.

That made up his mind. The shouting and incriminations needed to stop, at least from him.

"I'm sorry for yelling at you, Linda. I'll try to control myself, okay?"

Almost too quietly to hear, she murmured, "You can yell at me, curse me, beat me if you want, if it makes it possible to stay together, but I know that won't happen."

"No, it won't. Did you read everything?"

"Yeah," she said with a final whimper. "Everything is very fair; except I can't give up Allie. If she stays with me, I should be the one to keep the house. I'll give up some of the money you offered, but please let Allie stay with me."

"I can't do that, Linda. You know she and I have a special bond. And now that you've taken my family and I'm losing my best friend, you expect that I can do without the person I love most in this world? It's not gonna happen! I've lost everything that matters except Allie. Don't force this. Besides, in a few months when she turns sixteen, she'll be allowed to choose for herself. It's foolish to try and go against her wishes now."

"Dave, you won't lose her. You'll still see her and often have her with you. But I need to heal the hurt I've caused and fix our relationship. I can't do that if she's not with me."

"That's not gonna work the way you think it will. In fact, I think it will have the opposite results. Right now, all she can feel for you is rage and she's not gonna get over that in five or six months. Living apart will help her get past that, and we can both encourage her to let you back in. Force her hand, and you won't like how it turns out."

"Damn it, Dave. I'm not giving her up," Linda shouted.

They were not aware of Allie standing around the corner listening to the exchange. She charged out and started screaming in her mother's face, calling her terrible names, pointing out every treasonous act, threatening every action available to her.

The tirade went on for over ten minutes. Linda kept turning away, but Allie would move to stay in front of her. At one point, Allie grabbed her chin and forced her to face the anger she wanted her mother to see.

Dave debated how long he should let her go, then walked beside Allie and gently hugged her to calm her and get her away from Linda. He was relieved that she let him take control.

Linda tried to recover from the attack and fought not to burst into tears. She mustered up the composure to plead her case. "Allie, please, I love you and need you with me."

In a much calmer tone, Allie responded. "Not gonna happen. Every day I'll run away to dad. And if I'm stuck here with you, I'll make your life miserable. Can you take that kind of attack every waking moment? Dad won't be here to pull me off you. Get the idea, Linda?"

"Linda," her mother asked? "What happened to Mom?"

"Yeah! That's what we all want to know, bitch!"

Her message was delivered, and Allie calmly walked back up to her room smiling to herself, even though a deep sadness brought on more tears.

*****

Linda wisely decided she couldn't stay in the same house while the divorce proceeded. She didn't want to get her own place because she was going to fight for Allie and their house, so she temporarily stayed with her sister.

The battle lines for the divorce were set, and the family found themselves in court in front of Judge Stan Lawson.

Judge Lawson read the two divorce petitions and had a concept of how things should proceed. He normally granted motions for counseling, but it was not hard to see that it wouldn't fix this couple. An affair with the husband's brother for seventeen years seemed too extreme to overcome.

That meant the only real issue was custody of their daughter. Following typical norms, he would have favored the mother getting custody. But the girl was close to the age where she could choose for herself. He decided to see how things played out in the courtroom.

Court was called to order and all the preliminaries were dealt with. Linda's attorney started the proceedings.

"Your honor, my client does not want a divorce and has offered the counter claim only in the event reconciliation is deemed impossible. With that in mind, she requests a motion for the court to order counseling for at least twelve sessions or until the couple has reconciled."

The judge knew this was coming. "Counselor, having reviewed the specifics of this case, I don't see justification for counseling. It's clear that the cause behind this petition for divorce renders an attempt at reconciliation through counseling a waste of time and money. Motion denied.

Linda's lawyer continued. "Then, your honor, custody of their daughter is the primary issue in question. My client..."

"Counselor, again recognizing the facts in front of us and to save time, I'd like to talk with Allie Pearson in my chambers. We'll break for lunch, and, Allie, I invite you to join me and a court officer for a sandwich while we chat. Is that okay?"

"Yes, Your Honor."

Linda stood and started to object. "NO! I should be with..."

"Mrs. Pearson, you're out of order. No, you should not and will not join our talk. The court officer will be there to assure her safety and well-being. Court is adjourned for lunch and will reconvene at 1:30 PM."

The bailiff escorted Allie to the judge's chambers and he greeted her with a handshake and welcoming smile. "Hi, Allie, it's a real pleasure to meet you."

"You too, Your Honor, although I wish my family didn't have to be messed up just so we could meet."

"Yeah," he chuckled. "Listen, outside of the courtroom you don't have to be so formal."

"Thanks, but I figure you've earned your title, and not using it feels wrong."

"That's very considerate. Well, young lady, I imagine these have been trying times for you."

"It's been awful, but not like it's been for dad."

"So I would guess. Well, let's look at the sandwich menu and I'll have the bailiff order. Then we can chat. Okay?"

"Sounds good."

Once the orders were placed, the two talked about nothing in particular so the judge could get a feel for Allie's personality and maturity. To say he was impressed with this young lady would be an understatement. After they finished eating, the judge suggested they get to the main subject.

"Allie, just so you understand, it's rare that the mother isn't awarded custody in cases like this. How does that strike you?"

"Your Honor, it strikes me as a lazy way to look at this. It doesn't really consider all that has happened, and it certainly doesn't agree with what I want or what I think is best."

"Okay, fair enough. So, what do you think should happen and why?"

"I belong with my father. That's not just a kid giving you an emotional answer. I have lots of reasons."

"Care to elaborate?"

"Sure. First, my dad and I have always been closer than I was with my mom. Not in a bad way. I loved my mom."

"Loved? Past tense?"

"Deep down I'm sure I still do. But what she did to my dad was beyond cruel. I'd never seen my dad cry and now it happens all the time. She crushed him! She crushed me, too. My dad and I need each other to get past the way she betrayed us."

"Your mom also probably needs you. Shouldn't you take that into account?"

"This will sound like I want revenge, but that's not it. She did this. She caused it. Plus, my dad is not the kind of person that can be alone. I want more than anything to stay with him."

"Okay. Is there anything else?"

"First, I have a question. How old do I have to be before I have the right to choose?"

"Sixteen years old."

"That's what I thought. That's three months away. If you tell me I have to live with her, that means in three months my dad and I have to spend more money to come tell you I want to stay with him."

"Is that all?"

"No. Right now, I can't keep my anger from bubbling over when I'm around her. I know someday I'll need to get over it and get along with her, but forcing me to stay with her this soon after what she did will not make us best friends. In fact, I'll be miserable, and I expect I'll make her miserable."

"Is that a fact?"

"Let me be honest. I'll run away to my dad every chance I get. When I'm in the same room as her, I have every intention of making her understand that forcing you to make the wrong choice was a mistake."

"Oh, so you have plans to get back at her?"

"I wouldn't put it that way, but yes. She'll know it was a mistake. I'm guessing in less than a week, she'll take me to my dad herself and tell him to keep me."

"Care to share your plans?"

"Not really."

"I see," he said with a chuckle. "Just curious, have you considered becoming a lawyer?"

"I'm already going down that road. Next summer I'm going to be helping in Miss Hall's paralegal team."

"That's great to hear, Allie. I've gotta say, once you pass the bar I wouldn't want to be opposing counsel," he mused. "Shall we get you back to your dad?"

"That depends. Are you going to let me stay with him?"

"I'll make up my mind shortly, then everyone will know what I decide."

"I know a judge is considered wise and just. I'm really counting on that, and I hope I like you in an hour as much as I like you now."

"Are you blackmailing me," he asked with a friendly smile on his face?

"No, Your Honor. Just telling the truth, the whole truth, and nothing but."

They smiled, shook hands, and parted ways. When Allie found her father, she told him that she thought it went well. They would soon know how well.

*****

When the court reconvened, the judge took immediate control.

"I had quite a discussion with Allie. Both parents should be very proud of this amazing young woman. She calmly and professionally gave me her thoughts, and I've factored them into my decision."

Linda and her lawyer were discussing something, and Linda couldn't contain herself. "Tell him," she said loud enough that the entire room heard it.

The judge, clearly annoyed, banged his gavel and glared at the two. "Counselor, do we have a problem?"

"I apologize, your honor. My client has made me aware of an issue that may impact your decision."

"All right. Let's hear it, and it better be good!"

"Yes, you honor. Mrs. Pearson has indicated that there is a significant possibility that Mr. David Pearson is not the biological father of her daughter. If that is the case, an argument could be made that he has insufficient standing to claim custody."

"Counselor, in Pennsylvania that is completely irrelevant to claims of custody, and you should know that. For Mr. and Miss Pearson's benefit, however, is there proof of this, Mrs. Pearson?"

"Not yet, Your Honor."

"Your Honor," her lawyer interjected, "we offer a motion that the proceedings be suspended pending a DNA test and analysis."

Dave turned and saw Allie returning his knowing smile. His lawyer stood to respond. "Your Honor, in anticipation of Mrs. Pearson's tactics, we have the results of DNA testing by an accredited laboratory. The results are certified and accompanied by a duly sworn and notarized affidavit by the testing agency."

He handed copies to the court officer and Linda's attorney, then continued. "As you can see, the results are conclusive that Mr. David Pearson and Miss Allegra Pearson, or Allie as she is known, are father and daughter."

"Very well, Counselor Hall. This is interesting and, I'm sure, a relief for father and daughter. In any event, based on the laws of this state, the motion to delay and order DNA testing is denied."

Linda cried as her lawyer tried to comfort her.

Judge Lawson continued. "Now, as I was saying, while it is customary to award primary custody to the mother, I believe it is best for all parties to grant Miss Pearson's wishes and accept the petition as presented by Mr. Pearson. Mrs. Pearson and Allie, it pains me to see mother and daughter alienated, and this whole proceeding dissolving what was a happy marriage hurts me deeper than I can express." He paused and took a deep breath. "The petition for divorce as presented by Mr. Pearson is granted. You both should receive the final decree in six to eight weeks. With that, I wish the three of you the best going forward. Court is dismissed."

Allie ran to her father and held on to him with all her strength. As they began to walk out, Linda approached with fire in her eyes. "Well, you won. I hope you're happy now," she scoldingly said to Dave as if expecting him to gloat.

He turned and softly responded. "Who are you becoming, Linda? Nobody won here today. This is a loss for all three of us. Go home and we'll talk about details in a few days."

She collapsed on a courtroom bench while her lawyer tried to console her. Quietly she muttered, "But I love you! This is wrong." Dave heard her but chose to keep walking while he and Allie held on to each other.

*****

In the weeks that followed, all the horrible consequences that stemmed from Rich and Linda's stupid choices were winding down. Rich pled guilty in a plea deal to avoid a trial, fines, and a potentially lengthy jail sentence. He had to reveal all hidden bank accounts and safe deposit boxes and agreed to spend eight years in federal prison.

Linda landed an acceptable position with a company about twenty-five miles away and bought a townhouse there with the funds that Dave provided. It was a perfect setup for her. She was close enough to see Allie, but far enough to avoid seeing former friends who found her presence undesirable. It was the fresh start she needed.

Dave turned his attention to restructuring his company. Debbie quickly became a shining star in sales by growing the customer base with plenty of nice size orders from new customers. Even more surprising, she saved almost all of the customers that Dave expected to lose to the bribery scandal. Tammy also became the perfect teammate for Debbie by keeping the inside support running smoothly. Dave knew he would have to expand the sales team when his distributorship business fully launched, and Debbie was the perfect candidate to lead the entire sales team.

When it came to female companionship, Dave showed little interest even though he was bombarded with setups both from friends and his loving daughter. Single ladies from church seemed to be forming a line to get at the highly desirable soon-to-be bachelor. He missed Linda's companionship more than he expected he would, but he wasn't going to rush into anything. In weaker moments when he allowed himself to ponder possibilities, there was only one woman who captured his thoughts.

On a Wednesday morning several months after the judge made his ruling, Hannah came into Dave's office with the morning mail.

"Hey, boss, it looks like your divorce documents came."

He opened the envelope to verify the contents. "Yep, it looks like Judge Lawson was accurate. It's been seven weeks. I guess I'm a free man!"

"How do you feel about that?"

Dave contemplated the state of his emotions before answering her question. "It's a real mixture of feelings, I guess. Sad and happy, relieved and unsettled. Blending all my feelings together doesn't give me a single feeling. More than anything, I feel a sense of expectation. What Linda and I had was special. With that gone, I want to find "special" again. You know what I mean?"

"Yeah, I do," she said with a half-smile as she debated if the time was right. She turned to leave, hesitated at the door, then slowly closed it. Still facing the door with her back to him, as if afraid to see his reaction, she softly spoke her heart. "Dave, I want something special, too. I need to confess something I've been afraid to say, but here it is. I love you. I started loving you the day you interviewed me. You and Linda kept trying to get me to find someone, but I wanted the untouchable or, at least, unavailable. You don't need to say anything now, but if you're interested, just ask me out when you're ready. I already know my answer will be, yes."

She didn't realize Dave had quietly moved right behind her. Just as she finished her confession, he gently wrapped his arms around her, kissed her neck, and whispered the words she wanted to hear. "Dinner tonight?"

Still in his arms, she turned to see his bright smile and the twinkle in his eyes. "My place at 6:00," she suggested. "I'll cook." Her face lit up with a broad smile. "And wear something casual." She leaned in expectantly and they shared their first lover's kiss. When their lips finally parted, she looked at him lovingly, yet with coquettish intent. "Very casual. Very, very casual," she added before their second kiss consumed them.