Fractured

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

*****

The bottle of wine and wonderful lasagna disappeared, as if eating dinner was a distant second thought. The new lovers were anxious to explore how their deep friendship could blossom. It didn't take long to transform into full bloom. Without a word, they sat on the sofa together and stared into each other's eyes. Buried desire quickly emerged into full passion when lips met, tongues danced, and hands freely roamed with an urgent fervor. Arousal and anticipation grew at a feverish pace. No longer able to contain herself, Hannah whispered in his ear, "I want to be with you."

Dave smiled as whispered back. "I can think of lots of prepositions. With, on, under, in, behind..."

She drew back to look at him with loving mischief in her eyes. "Look, mister, I want lots of prepositions, positions, and whatever. And I want them now," she exclaimed with a hint of playful exasperation.

He kissed her to buy time so he could formulate his response. There was nothing he wanted more than to carry her to her bedroom and spend the evening exploring their long-suppressed passions.

"Hannah, it would be so easy to take things all the way. I'm already sure of how I feel about you, and I want to guard against anything that would jeopardize a long and happy life with you. We have a great friendship, but this will amplify it and break new ground for us. I don't want us to go at a snail's pace, but let's explore this exciting, new relationship before we try out all those prepositions, okay?"

"I'm sorry, Dave. I kept telling myself not to rush you after what you've been through. So, you set the pace."

"Nothing to be sorry about. Frankly, I'm sorry we're not upstairs right now, but I've gotta be a little cautious. Thanks for understanding."

*****

Dave and Hannah were together every evening for the following two weeks. After a romantic dinner at Hannah's house, they sat together and let their passions roam free. Dave was sure of what he wanted, and it was time.

They had just parted their lips from an incredibly electric kiss when Dave whispered in her ear, "I think it's time."

Without another word, he lifted her from the couch and carried her to her bedroom. They gently unwrapped each other to expose what each had been longing for, then fulfilled their greatest wishes in each other's arms.

After two or three glorious hours, they collapsed on their backs while still embracing. Completely drained, they quietly savored the glow they both longed for. Dave's thoughts and dreams started to come together in perfect harmony, and he could see his world becoming something even better than he had hoped. Hannah shed quiet tears of joy for finally being in the arms of the man whom she desired more than she wanted her next breath. The two snuggled closely as if trying to blend into a single being.

Minutes passed in blissful silence before Dave shared his thoughts.

"Hannah, all my hesitation is gone. I'm ready to let my feelings run free. In recent weeks I've found the spark and chemistry I knew we would share. I feel like my heart has been unchained, and I can say with every ounce of my being, I love you. If you'll have me, I never want this to end."

She rolled on top of him and maneuvered his sword into her sheath. "Does this answer you? You have me, and I have you. If you are absolutely sure this isn't rebound for you, then I want this coupling to never part."

"It will make walking a bit difficult, but I'm game!"

"Smart ass," she playfully exclaimed. "You know what I mean."

"Yes, I know. I imagine friends will tell us to take things slowly when considering all that has recently gone down, but I don't care what they think."

"For you it may seem fast," she said. "For me, this was something I've had to live with for seven years."

"Well, I know we were both concerned about a rebound, but this feels right. Besides, Allie has been buggin' me to nail you down for months."

"You certainly nailed me, buster," she teased. "Boy, did you ever nail me."

Dave laughed so hard that he almost slipped out of her. Almost. "I don't think Allie meant this. Although maybe she did. She is growing up fast, damn it."

"I think she's a rather smart young woman with good instincts," Hannah added. "Uhmm, would she mind if you stayed for breakfast?"

"Come to think about it, she told me not to worry about breakfast. I missed her meaning until just now, that little stinker! I'll text her anyway."

Fully spent and completely satisfied, the two embracing lovers drifted off to sleep. Dreams danced in their heads about new love and a bright future together.

*****

Joy filled the home of Hannah, Dave, and Allie. Six months after their first date, they were married at their church. True to their nature, the relaxed and informal reception was a pig roast in their spacious backyard. With two hundred guests, the pool and other activities gave the kids something to do. There was a large party tent complete with a dance floor and a bar for the adults. A small band provided the music.

There was much to celebrate. As expected, some family members and friends expressed surprise at how quickly they decided to wed, especially since Hannah was eight years younger than Dave. The explanation was simple. They quickly knew they had found the right partner. And, besides, Hannah was three months pregnant and, being only 30 years old, she and Dave planned for many more children.

As the party was winding down, a familiar face entered the backyard. "Oh, look," Hannah said to Dave. "Linda is here. Let me go and welcome her."

The two women were not completely sure how the visit would turn out. Hannah's concerns quickly melted when Linda smiled and hugged her friend. "Congratulations, Hannah. This looks like an amazing celebration."

"Well, you know Dave and his pig roasts. How are you? You look great."

"I'm still working on myself, but I'm in a much better place than I was seven or eight months ago. Listen, I want you to know that I think it's great that you and Dave found each other. Please believe that I wish you nothing but the best. You are two of my favorite people."

Dave joined the two and surprised Linda with a warm hug. "Hey, Linda. So glad you came, but I was hoping you'd be here a bit earlier."

"I thought about it, but I didn't want to be the intruding ex taking attention from the two of you. As I said to your lovely new wife, I'm really happy for you both."

"Thank you. I appreciate that. So, are you ready for Allie to spend three weeks with you while we're honeymooning?"

"I'm looking forward to it. I hope she's not dreading it too much."

"Don't tell her I said anything, but she's looking forward to being with you while we're away. I think she feels rather guilty for some of what she did and said, but I told her that strong emotions needed to be let out if she was going to get past them. The two of you are going to be okay. So, are you going to come meet my emotional support animal?"

"What? You still have Banjo, right?"

"Sure. He'll be with Allie when she stays with you."

"Then, what emotional support animal?"

"Oh, it's a pig. He's been roasted, of course, but he's really giving me positive vibes. Come and grab a plate."

Any threat of tension was gone as Hannah and Linda laughed while threatening to toss Dave into the pool.

*****

No two divorces or separations are the same. People don't react according to a single script when bad things happen. When he learned of Linda's adultery, Dave couldn't envision ever again finding joy in life. Allie mourned for the way her loving family disintegrated. At the same time, Hannah felt she was doomed to either living without love, or settling for something, or someone less than she wanted.

They were all fractured. But in the end, Dave, Hannah, and Allie found greater joy than they had before it all fell apart. With all their hearts they wished the same for Linda and Sonia. Time will tell.

**** Epilogue - Ten years later ****

The pastor asked the congregation, "Who gives this woman to be married?"

Dave spoke clearly and with strength, "Her mothers and I." Then he took Allie's hand and gave it to her fiancé, Nathan Lawson, the grandson of judge Stanley Lawson.

Dave turned to take his seat next to Hannah, who was shedding happy wedding tears. Next to them sat Linda and her fiancé. Hannah and Linda once again became good friends, while Dave kept himself at arm's length from his ex-wife. At least he no longer felt the need to isolate himself from Linda. His love for Hannah and their three kids more than healed the anger and pain.

Hannah whispered to him as he sat. "Mothers, plural. Smooth move, Mr. Pearson."

Looking back at the bridal party, he smiled with pride at his Ten-year-old daughter, Sara, who was a bridesmaid for her sister. His youngest daughter, Jenna, was the flower girl, and Dave Jr., now three years old, was the ring bearer. True to his contemplative nature, he basked in the glow of a heart filled with love and pride. A prayer of thanksgiving flowed from his soul.

*****

Allie graduated top of her class at Temple University School of Law. That's also where she met and fell in love with Nate. While they were dating, her father and Judge Lawson became close friends, so a blending of the families could not have been easier.

Nate focused on criminal law and joined Bill Hardwick's office, while Allie preferred family law and became the newest member of Angela Hall's team.

The changes Dave made in his business were successful beyond his expectations. Now 48 years old, Dave and Hannah were planning to retire when he turned 55. He was not a billionaire by any means, but his portfolio and a great financial planner made that an easy goal to achieve.

Sonia married a terrific guy who managed the Eastern territory for a major pump company that Dave's business represented. In addition to the two boys Sonia had with Rich, the couple now had a little girl who had just turned four years old.

Dave's parents were now retired and enjoyed good health as they started to transition into their leisure years. That included handing over Sunday family dinners to Dave and Hannah.

On a Sunday about three months after Allie's wedding, Dave's dad pulled him aside after the meal.

"Son, I know I made you a promise, but I'm going to break it this once. Rich is leaving next week, and he wanted to see you and the family before he left. Can he come over this afternoon?"

"I've actually thought of reaching out to him since he got out. I heard he was joining a mission team or something?"

"Yeah. They support poor villages with projects like building schools and so forth. He's going to Tanzania and will be the team's water treatment specialist."

"How'd he hook up with them while in prison?"

"He credits a cell mate with really turning his life around. He became close to a prison ministry team and asked them to help him find a ministry to join when he was released. After they figured out his skills and background, they put it all in motion. He studied Swahili and has become fluent, from what I understand. They also allowed him to take a lot of required courses while he served his time, so he was ready to hit the ground running when he got out. He's spent the months since his release finishing training and raising monthly support."

"He's welcome to come over, but Sonia and her family may not react well."

"He's already visited with them a number of times. Everything is okay with them."

"Geez! Sonia never told me."

"Do you blame her? You made your feelings clear on not wanting anything to do with him."

"Yeah, I guess you're right."

"So how do you feel about your brother at this point?"

"The things he did seemed to be aimed directly at me, Dad. Maybe that wasn't his intention, but it felt that way. At the time it all came crashing down, I remember thinking it would have been kinder of him just to put a bullet in me. He attacked almost everything important to me. If it weren't for Allie, I don't know what I would have done."

"Yeah, the two of you did well holding each other together."

"Yeah, thank God."

"Son, you mentioned that it felt like Rich was targeting you. I don't think it was his primary motivation, but on a subconscious level I think you may be right. He and I had a strange, but interesting talk the day he got out. He was all apologetic and I believe he was sincere, but then he said something that really floored me. He said he never felt like he was a part of our family, and that you were always the perfect son that he could never match. Your mom and I racked our brains trying to figure out why he felt that way."

"You guys never held me up as an example or showed favoritism. I don't get it?"

"He admitted that much. He said it was all on him. He knew you were the better student and had talents that he didn't have, so he drew conclusions that were not true. He knows that now."

"I guess I owe it to him and myself to sit with him and clear the air."

"Thanks, Son. I knew you'd see it that way."

"Dad, you know I tend to spend a great deal of time contemplating things."

"Like during your half hour morning visits to the john?"

"Okay, smart-ass," Dave retorted as they shared a laugh. "As I was saying, a few nights ago I sat alone on the back porch while Hannah put the kids to bed. The air was cool, and the smells from the flower garden put me in a great state of mind as I watched the last of the sun setting beyond the trees. I felt an overwhelming joy and peace when I thought of how everything turned out after the mess of ten years ago.

"Sonia is remarried to a good man, and she couldn't be happier. She did a great job keeping her boys on track, and her new husband has been a terrific influence.

"The money Rich stole was recovered and returned. I thought he ruined my customer base in the process, but instead I found some real stars to take his place. It also forced me to restructure my business, which was a major improvement to growth and my bottom line. The restructuring into distribution also brought Sonia's new husband into the picture."

"So, what are you saying?"

"Dad, I never thought it could be this way, but it turned out that what Rich did became a huge blessing."

His father noticed he hadn't mentioned something important. "But your marriage was destroyed, Son. Linda and you were the perfect couple. Don't you think it was a tragic end to a beautiful love story?"

"Sure it was, Dad. But look over there at Hannah. I'm madly in love with her. I love everything about her. I wouldn't give her up or trade her for anything, including what Linda and I had."

"Do you love her more than you did Linda?"

"More than I did? How can I really measure that without putting my feelings through the filters of all the crap that went down? I certainly still have feelings for Linda, but I'll never feel the same way I did fifteen years ago. The important thing is that I have feelings for Hannah that are, at least, as strong as they ever were for Linda, but I choose to give myself and all my love to Hannah."

"That's good to hear, but you never answered my question."

"About Rich?"

"Yeah! How do you feel about him?"

"Everything I said about how things have turned out factors into my attitude towards Rich. I hate what he did, but the way things turned out I also have cause to be thankful. He paid with more than eight years of his life, so I really don't have any anger left, nor any need for revenge. It's a little bit like how I feel about Linda. Do I love him? Sure. He's my brother. If he needed a kidney or something, I'd come through. But I'll never be able to choose to trust or care about him the way I did fifteen years ago."

"I guess I understand, Son. I must say, your take on all that has happened is heartwarming. I'm not sure I would have been man enough to find the silver linings the way you have."

"Well, consider all the people involved. Sonia is in a better place. My business is booming. My marriage to Hannah and my three kids with her is a joy beyond anything I deserve. Even Rich has grown up and returned to his faith through his prison experience. He's finding the best version of himself. Linda, I'm sorry to say, is probably the only one who hasn't come out in a better situation. Allie tells me she's happy, but still longs for the life we had together."

"Son, you are a fricken Pollyanna, you know that?"

"Is that bad?"

"No, but I can't forget how fractured you were."

"Yeah, I was. But in one of my contemplation sessions, it came to me that what Rich did was like taking China that was precious to me and shattering it on the floor. God, in His mercy, helped me gather it up and form the pieces into a new mosaic that's even more beautiful and precious."

"So, you're saying what was fractured is now better than ever?"

"Exactly. But not simply better, Dad. For me, everything is far better."