Freshman Year Roommate Pt. 19

Story Info
Boyfriends no more.
6.2k words
4.88
8.4k
11

Part 19 of the 23 part series

Updated 06/10/2023
Created 07/29/2020
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
nygayguy
nygayguy
312 Followers

Everyone is over 18 years of age

Somewhere deep inside, I knew the day would come. I just didn't think it would happen in the presence of so many of our friends. It was a weird day. A day that would be impossible to forget. The day we turned a corner and I no longer could call John my boyfriend.

Things had seemed to be going okay. We'd even visited our families a few times during breaks, and I thought maybe his parents were getting used to me and to their big, strapping son being gay.

Then that day came. It was the end of senior year. A lot was in flux, and I didn't know where life would go. I guess all these changes are part of what drove John to do what he did.

I was heading to law school, and John was heading into the Army. That actually was looking pretty good, as far as his near-term career path. Most guys out of ROTC become Second Lieutenants, the lowest commissioned officer rank. But the Army had plans for John, and he'd already done work that was ringing the right bells somewhere, so he was starting as a First Lieutenant, a rank higher, and they had him tracked to go for his Master's Degree, again at the Army's expense. That all sounded great.

But the end of college also had a good chance of seeing him deployed far away. What about us? I loved him deeply, but I knew this could pull us apart. I'd gotten used to spending every day with him. So now what?

To celebrate our accomplishments, after we'd finished all of our work and our finals, we decided to hold a big party before graduation. We invited our friends from the LGBT club and friends from ROTC, and John was even getting his friend Scott to fly in for the party. This promised to be fun. But then, I had no idea of the surprise heading my way.

The party was a party like only our weird combination of groups could come up with. Once again, we were having a poker game. And once again, the LGBT group was belting out show tunes. (I'd almost swear they got more into show tunes when they had a straight audience there.) The best part of that was the crossover. The ROTC guys occasionally winding up with a beer in one hand, an arm draped across one of the gay boys, and trying their best to join in the singing. We even had one of the LGBT guys join our low stakes poker game for a while.

John made dinner. He threw together a delicious Rigatoni Bolognese, and everybody feasted! And one of the lesbians from the LGBT group was into baking; she brought a delicious cake. Then back to the poker game, show tunes and the rest. We were a couple of hours into the party, and I was at the poker table, when things took a turn that ended my time as John's boyfriend. One by one, the other guys were folding. It seemed like no one had good cards that round. Mine were okay, but nothing special. The best I could put together was three sevens. Nothing I'd bet the house on. But everyone else went out, so I got the pot. As I pulled the chips to me, John stood up. He seemed pretty serious.

"Jess, I have a question."

"Yes, hon?"

"No, two questions."

"Okay."

What was going on?

He walked around behind me, and I looked back. Then I stood up and asked, "What's up, hon?"

He said, "How oblivious can you be?"

I didn't know what he meant. "Huh?"

"Are you even paying attention?"

I was getting nervous. He sounded so confrontational. This wasn't like him. What was wrong? And the whole room had gone silent. They all had stopped and were watching us.

I stammered, "I... I thought I was. What did I do?"

"I don't think you were. Do you even know what was in the pot?"

"I didn't count it. It couldn't have been much."

John said, "It couldn't have been much? Maybe you should look again."

I turned back and pushed the chips around and there was something else in there. Silver (I'd later find out, white gold, actually) with little sapphires and diamonds. "What's that doing in there?" I asked.

I heard John say, "It's yours if you'll take it. But first, can you hand it to me?"

What? Mine? That's weird. What was a ring doing in with the chips? John wants me to hand it to him. Okay.

Wait... a... a ring? Mine? What?

I turned around. Where was John? Normally, if I faced John, I looked up a little and right into his eyes. I was in a bit of a daze. Oh, wait, there's John, down there. Kneeling. On one knee.

On one knee?

Oh. My. God.

I still was in a daze as I handed the ring to him. He took my left hand and said, "I'd like you to have this ring, if you'll take it. You've made me the happiest I've ever been, and I want to live the rest of my days with you. I said I had two questions. So here's the second question," and he took a deep breath... "Will you marry me?"

Even before he could finish his sentence, tears were pouring down my face and I was nodding. I think I also was trembling and pretty much unable to speak. But I finally choked out, "There's nothing I want more in this world. Yes, of course, I'll marry you!" And the whole apartment erupted in screams and cheers, as he stood up, kissed me and held me tight. He said, "You've made me the happiest man on Earth."

I shook my head. "No, I think I get that trophy. I love you so much!"

From a few feet away, I heard that unmistakable gravelly voice. Phoebe. "By the way, I'm holding the other one." When did she even come in?

I wasn't terribly articulate by then. "Huh?"

She laughed. "I think we've finally managed to get him at a loss for words." She turned to John, "Are you sure he's as smart as we think?"

John smiled. "I hope so! I'm making a life with him."

Phoebe laughed and said, "Jess, there are two rings. Now that you've been smart enough to tell him 'yes,' there's one for him to wear, too." And she held out another ring that looked just like the one on my hand (but, apparently, sized for him).

OH. MY. GOD. I still was in such shock. There's a beautiful engagement ring on my finger. For a moment, I looked down at my own hand and just stared at it. And cried tears of joy a little more.

But I came around enough to start nodding, wiped my eyes and held out my hand. Feebs gently laid the ring in my palm. And with that, we immediately were hugging each other. She was a bit teary, too. "Congratulations, honey. You're both wonderful. I couldn't be happier! Now go give that beautiful man his ring."

I went over to John and said, "I have something for you."

"Oh, do you now?" The whole place broke into laughter.

"Yes. Can you guess what it is?"

"No idea."

"Well, I wouldn't want anyone trying to steal my boyfr... Oh my god, you're not anymore, are you? Let me try that again!" I took a deep breath, to try to get through this without bursting into tears again. "I wouldn't want anyone trying to steal my fiancé." It caught in my throat. "My fiancé. My fiancé!" I was bouncing in place. "John, you've made me the happiest man in the world. Please wear this ring that matches mine, to show the world that I will be yours forever."

John kissed me gently and said, "I've looked forward to this for a long time!" and held his hand out, so I could slip the ring on his finger.

Then he added, "And did you hear him? All those words? He's recovered, folks. The peace and quiet is over!" And everyone started laughing again.

I smacked him on the butt. "Good thing you're so cute!"

Both rings were silver in color, with a line of pretty blue sapphires in the center and little diamonds on either side, with the entire thing in a sort of wave shape. They were very pretty, and these were colors and stones we both liked. "Hey," I said, "where did you get these? I mean, look at them!"

"I held up a jewelry store." And then he smacked my butt. "Where do you think I got them? I bought them."

Neither of us was making much money with our little side jobs while we went to school, so I was wondering... I just looked at him. He knew what I meant. I didn't want him spending on me like that if he couldn't really afford it. Not even for this. I mean, it was done, but...

Then he said quietly, so it wasn't for the whole room, "I didn't ask your parents, if that's what you're thinking."

"Then how, hon? Don't get me wrong. I love our rings, and I love you, but how?"

"They're a gift from my parents. I told them that I planned to ask for your hand in marriage, and they were very happy for us. Then they gave me the money and told me to make it special."

That was it. I was crying again. Yes, I was an emotional mess, but... John's parents? This was amazing!

I hugged him again, and then everyone was pushing in, to gather around us, hug and slap backs, and keep the celebration going.

As the hours passed, the ROTC guys went out and came back with more beer and booze. The drinks really were flowing, and no one was feeling any pain. Eventually, most of our friends headed out, but a couple were so blasted that they just found a corner of the floor to pass out on.

Scott was an intended guest, so he got the couch. I wished we had a better place for him to sleep, but that was all we had. For the friends who were passed out, we got some blankets out of the closet and at least tried to tuck them in where they were. And of course, we gave Scott a blanket and a pillow.

That had to be around 2am. Then John and I headed to bed. Since we had other people in the apartment, we kept our underwear on when we went to bed, in case some inebriated person wandered in. As we curled up in bed together, we held each other. I told John I'd dreamed of this day but also was afraid to dream of it, because I worried it wouldn't come. He smiled at me. "And how could this have turned out any other way?"

I shook my head. "Life can be fickle. Who knows?"

"Well, I know. I've known for a long time. You're the one I'm meant to be with forever!" and he kissed me again. Then he added, "But my vision for tonight was to take my fiancé to bed and make love to him better than I ever have!"

I smiled. "And how would I know the difference? You've blown all my expectations away in bed so many times..." He put a finger to my lips. "Shhh! You think too much!"

"You're just noticing I overthink things?"

He just kissed me again. "But I think maybe we just have to sleep tonight."

I nodded. "That's okay. Sex or no, I couldn't possibly be any happier!"

"Me, too, hon. I keep wanting to pinch myself to make sure this isn't all a dream."

"Oh, I know that feeling. Oh my god! I just realized!"

"What?!"

"I didn't call my parents to tell them!"

"Well, calm down. You can't call them now. The phone ringing at this hour isn't good news. So let's save it for the morning."

I nodded. "Of course, you're right."

We were wiped out, but I didn't know if I could sleep, I was so excited. We curled up together, and yes, okay, eventually my exhaustion won out. Hours later, I was awakened by a voice saying, "Damn, you two look pretty together. Like an ad for gayness. So sexy!"

Scott. Oh, lord.

We both were pretty groggy, but we slowly woke up.

John said, "Do come right in, Scott. Did you want to cuddle?" and he held up the sheet, as if he was inviting him into bed.

He said, "Well, I knocked! But apparently, you two were out like lights. Probably fucked like rabbits 'til all hours."

"Your jealousy is showing, man," and John threw his pillow at him.

Scott caught it and laughed. "Well, you guys do look nice together! If I ever were tempted to do a gay 3-way, it would be with you guys, but no. I love you, man, but it's still not my thing. And yeah, that's not why I came in. I thought I'd go get stuff to make everyone breakfast."

John said, "Everyone?"

Scott nodded, "Yes. Me, the two survivors out there on the floor, and you two fuckbunnies."

John said, "Well... okay. That's very nice."

"So where should I go?"

"Giant is too far for a simple breakfast supplies run. Go right around the corner. When you do, you'll see, diagonally across the street, a place called Eddie's Market. It's a smaller food market. They'll have whatever you want to make for breakfast."

"Cool! I'll be right back!"

I said, "And hey, Scott, thanks!"

"It's just breakfast, man."

"No, I mean for being here. For breakfast, too, but thanks for being here for us."

He smiled. "My genuine pleasure, Jess. I wouldn't have missed this for the world."

And off he went.

"He's pretty nice, isn't he?"

John nodded, "Until you, he was my best friend. Actually, I don't like how that sounds. How about, Scott's my best friend I don't have sex with."

I burst with laughter.

"Oh, shush! I'll figure it out!"

I said, "I sure hope so! For now, we'd better get you some coffee. You're not at your best right now!"

He grabbed my face and kissed me. "God, I love you so much."

I grabbed his hand and looked at our rings together. "It's not a dream."

He shook his head. "It's not a dream, hon. It's a dream come true!"

We got up and put on shorts and t-shirts. Specifically, John put on these little running shorts he had and one of his tight t-shirts with Army emblazoned across the chest.

Oh, damn, I had to see him like that when I couldn't take him back to bed?

Okay, concentrate, Jess. You can't walk around with a hardon in front of your guests!

We got the coffee maker going, and the smell started to fill the apartment. Knowing Scott would soon be back, presumably with things like eggs and so on, I went to grab the frying pan and the salt & pepper. Hmm, where are the salt and pepper?

"John, do you know where the salt and pepper are?"

"Oh, yeah, I got all of our spices in order."

With a half-smile, I hung my head. My engineer and future Army officer sometimes had a particularly orderly view of what things should look like. "And what does 'in order' mean?"

He said, "I put them all in that cabinet," pointing to one above the stove.

So I opened it. Oh, lord. He didn't just put everything in one cabinet. Every little spice bottle was perfectly lined up, and in alphabetical order. I had to smile at this. I turned to him. "I'm confused."

"By spices?"

"No. They're in alphabetical order. I didn't think engineers could spell. Did you get help?"

Suddenly, I was almost on the floor, as I was on the receiving end of an intense tickling. "Stop, stop, stop!"

He pulled me back to full height and held me. At that moment, Zach, one of our hung-over guests, walked over to the kitchen. "You two are disgusting in your cuteness, you know that?"

We just smiled at him. "Congrats again, guys! I hope I find a love like yours someday."

I said, "You will, Zach. I have no doubt." And I meant it. He was a sweet guy. I was sure some smart man would see that and make a great life with him. "Want some coffee?"

He smiled what looked like a pained smile. "Oh, yes, please!"

I grabbed a mug and poured him a cup. "Milk's in the fridge, if you want, and there's sugar and the artificial stuff in that cabinet," pointing to the newly christened spice cabinet. Turning to John, I said, "Hon, are the artificial ones all together, or should Zach look for Equal under E and Splenda under..." and then that man moved in fast to kiss me, stopping me from speaking. Then he said, "Hush, my disorderly lawyer."

Zach said, "That's okay. I just need a little milk."

At that moment, Nate wandered in, looking in a similar state to Zach. He also had some coffee, and then Scott got back. We told Nate and Zach to go relax on the couch, as John, Scott and I threw together breakfast as a team effort.

In short order, everyone was eating and feeling better. At least, a bit better. Zach and Nate looked like they'd need some time to get past their hangovers, but after breakfast, they made their way home.

"So now what?" Scott asked. "Now," I said, "I have a phone call to make."

John beamed. "That's right! I'd tell you to put it on speaker, but I'm willing to bet anything that I'll hear the other end without you needing to, once you share the news."

I kissed him again. "Yeah, I'd bet you're right!"

I dialed home. Dad answered. "Hi, dad."

"Hey, kiddo, everything good?"

"More than good. Is mom there? I want to share news with both of you at once."

"Sure. Hang on." I heard him call her over. "Jesse has news he wants to tell us." Then to me. "You didn't get expelled right before graduation, did you?" Did I ever mention where I got my smartass training?

I laughed. "No. I wanted to tell you about the gift John got me."

Mom piped up. "It must be some gift, to warrant a special call."

"Oh yeah, it's the best gift I could imagine. In fact, I've got it right here."

She said, "So tell me about it."

"Well, it's made of metal." "Okay." "And it's circular and on the ring finger of my left hand." And the scream that came from the other end of the phone almost blew out my eardrum.

John laughed. "I take it she's happy?"

I shrugged. "One would imagine. That or she just witnessed a murder."

I could hear her yelling to my brother and sister. "They're getting married! They're getting married!"

Dad said into the phone, "Hang on a second. Your mother is a little worked up now."

"I might have figured that out, dad."

"Such a smart boy!"

There was a pause, and he said, "Oh, and son?"

"Yes, dad?"

"I'm not as loud as your mom, but I'm very happy for you and will be proud to call John my son, too. He's a very good man."

"Thanks, dad." And I felt like I might be a mess again at any moment.

I hadn't really thought about it as we were doing it, but during the call, John and I had come together, and I was leaning into his shoulder as I spoke to my parents. He was holding me and gave me a kiss on the forehead.

Then mom was back. "So tell us all about. When did he give it to you? How did it happen?"

So I told them all about John's little surprise and all the people who were here for it. She said, "How romantic! That's so wonderful, honey. Can I talk to him?"

He held the phone away from his ear, so I still could hear. John said hello, and she said, "You two have made me so happy. Welcome to the family... son."

He smiled. "I don't know if we're allowed to use that until we have a ceremony and do some paperwork."

She said, "Screw the paperwork. I'm ready to celebrate right now!"

My fiancé (god, I loved that), ever the smooth one, said, "Okay, mom."

And I swear I heard a joyous squeal from the phone. Then, "Have you told your parents yet?"

"Yes, they actually knew in advance." She started to object, but then he said, "No, I didn't just let them in first. They helped me buy the engagement rings."

Then she said, "Well, our turn to do something for you two."

"You've already done plenty for us!"

"No, we want to do more." I heard dad say, "We do?"

Then laughter from the other end.

Mom said, "Okay, we have a wedding to plan."

John said, "Mom," and I knew she was eating that up, "Jess and I want to keep it simple. It's about our love, not a big show. We hope that's okay." I was nodding as he said this. We hadn't really had time to discuss our wedding plans, but along the way, we'd talked about weddings getting to be overblown. So he knew I'd be on the same page.

She said, "Sure, but not too modest. My eldest son and the love of his life are getting married. It can't be too small!"

"Yes, ma'am. We'll talk!"

I smiled. This could get interesting.

I got back on the phone, and mom was going on about all the people she had to tell. I couldn't remember the last time I'd heard her so happy. Not only had her gay son found someone special, but they were getting hitched. I guess I knew how she felt. I kept leaning into John, and he leaned into me.

As I was saying goodbye, I noticed something. Looking over, I saw that Scott had been taking pictures. I guess I looked puzzled. He said, "I thought you might want to remember this moment. Honestly, it was pretty damn sweet."

nygayguy
nygayguy
312 Followers
12