Friends, Sexcapades and Love Affairs Ch. 13

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

It wasn't even about that, but Adrian didn't want to admit that he felt smitten. There was a vague sensation, hovering at the edges of his mind, that maybe, just maybe, he didn't have any idea what he was getting himself into. So far, Edward's penchant for a bit of tough play hadn't come as a big surprise. But how Edward acted, how cool he can be after being in the throes of ecstasy just earlier, Adrian couldn't quite wrap his mind around it.

***

Jared tossed and turned the entire night. In the end, he had managed to avoid Chris and his husband at the restaurant, although he had thought a few times about how making a scene, there would have gone down. He would have shocked Sam and Mrs. Daniels, for sure, and they would have only been collateral victims. Also, he didn't need to cause a scene. That was beneath him, he had decided.

Still, the mix of anger and disappointment he was feeling got the better of him once he was back home. How could he have been so stupid? Chris's avoidance of talking about their relationship in a serious manner, his affable, but distant behavior whenever Jared had tried to make things clear, even his somewhat offhanded methods while having sex, all those made good enough signs for him to have read them already.

Maybe Chris was so aroused when they were together because of the illicit nature of the affair. And to think that he would catch the eye of a man like that! He had thought it a bit strange at the time, and now he knew the reason. Chris just wanted a side piece; only chance had made it that Jared had managed to occupy that position.

What else could he have lied about? Was it all true about his profession? Or not? What about that penthouse where he lived? Could it be it was only a fuckpad? It didn't sound that hard a thing to believe, looking at things retrospectively.

Jared grabbed the pillow and smashed his face a few times with it. How was he going to handle the situation? Only the thought of confronting Chris about it made him sick to the stomach. The thought that he had been picked up and used as if he were an object, not a person.

Fury and disappointment mingled in his mind. Maybe he was young and not at all versed in this world of dating, but he couldn't fathom why Chris had thought it would be a good idea to pick him up from all the young people in the city. Why him? Was it written on his face that he was gullible? Was he too polite? Was that a sign of stupidity? He felt tempted to reply 'yes' to the last one.

He stood and sat on the edge of the bed, his face buried in his hands. He needed to end things and fast. And he had to do it without showing how affected he was. That kind of satisfaction was not something Chris would get out of him. Jared imagined himself being cool and collected, telling Chris their relationship, whatever it was, couldn't work out. If he were someone versed in the ways of the world and sophisticated, he would do that.

Only that Jared Boyle was as far from being that as someone could be. That meant that he needed to enact a different type of scenario in his mind. But first, he wouldn't call Chris at all for several days. Maybe it could all die on its feet, whatever they had, and Jared could continue without going through the shame of being used by a married man.

He ran his hands over his face, again and again, rubbing his eyes and trying to chase away the last grains of insomnia from them. If he couldn't sleep anymore, he just had to wake up. Maybe coffee was a good idea, after all.

He was in the kitchen, fixing the bitter medicine when his phone rang. It was seven in the morning. Adrian was probably sleeping like a log after a night spent fucking, and Mike, well, he probably did the same if things had worked out with Ryan.

As he walked back into the bedroom, Jared played different scenarios in his head. Could it be it was some emergency? He hurried to pick the phone from the nightstand. His face fell when he saw the caller ID.

For a couple of moments, he debated whether he should take it or not. But postponing it meant that he would only prolong the uneasiness and disgust he felt with himself for falling prey to a player like Chris. At twenty-five, he should have known better. He hadn't been born yesterday.

"Yes?" he asked in a voice he hoped that it sounded calm and collected.

In his ears, it was too loud and strained.

"I can't sleep anymore. I'm thinking of you," Chris said in a low, seductive voice.

Was his husband still sleeping, so Chris needed to whisper so that he wasn't caught in the act of calling his lover on the side? The thought alone made Jared's gut recoil.

"Hmm." That was all he could manage. How did one react to such a situation?

"I was wondering if I could see you today. And sorry for calling so early. I was hoping to hear your sleepy voice. But," Chris hesitated for a moment, "you sound awake."

Awake. That was a good word to describe the situation.

"Yes, I am very much awake," Jared said, trying to rein in the need to shout obscenities at Chris and then end the conversation.

"Good." There was another moment of hesitation. "I have the perfect place in mind. I heard seven different publications consider it as one of the most romantic getaways around. Don't worry; I will take you back before midnight so that you can catch some sleep in your own bed."

Oh, how considerate.

"A romantic getaway?" Jared could feel his hackles rising. "Do they have rooms for three?"

"Three?" Chris made a small pause. "What are you talking about?"

"Ah, you know. Since your husband must be coming with us." Jared hoped to dear God he didn't sound bitchy. It was only this much he could do to rein in his emotions.

Chris remained silent. Then, the seductive whisper from before turned to ice. "Have you been following me?"

Jared let out a small nervous laugh. "Isn't it rich to accuse me of stalking you when you're a fucking cheater?" As much as he had told himself to keep his calm, it didn't look like it was possible.

"Then how do you know?"

"Are you still busy accusing me? Aren't you even going to apologize?"

"Saying 'sorry' won't solve anything."

Jared couldn't believe his ears. He had a mind to end the conversation and finish things right at that moment. "Why are you cheating on your husband, Chris?" He couldn't ask why Chris had cheated on him, Jared. That was not how things worked, regardless of how he felt inside. And Chris's husband was, even more, a victim because he had said and heard some vows and had trusted the man next to him to value what they shared. Jared couldn't even fathom how that man would feel if he found out about his husband's philandering. He didn't think he was the first illicit affair Chris was indulging in, as a married man who should have known better.

"And no, saying 'sorry' won't solve anything. But it would at least prove that you're a human being, not a fucking asshole." Jared didn't shout this time, and he was proud of himself for being able, at least, to control his voice.

"I never meant for you to find out."

Jared squeezed the phone in his hand. "No shit," he said through his teeth.

"Not like this, I mean."

"Not like this? Were you planning to tell me? How? Dropping it in casual conversation? And by the way, you're a side piece, and I'm actually married!" Jared stopped and bit his lips hard. Without intending to, he was shouting again.

"You're making things unnecessarily complicated."

Jared could swear he was starting to see red. "I don't know what you mean by that. Wake up your husband and ask him whether he thinks the same thing. I'm curious what he has to say."

"Are you threatening me? That you're going to tell my husband?" Chris's voice was still cold, and Jared could bet, calculated.

"I've just had enough of you. No, I'm not going to tell him. Although I should, because he deserves to know. But I don't know him, I don't know who he is, and I was taught a long time ago to stay away from getting involved in other people's business unless they're my closest friends. I just have one question. How the hell do you live with yourself?"

"Watch it, young man --"

"True, I am young, compared to you, at least. But I really thought we were together." Jared hated himself for letting that last bit slip. It was clear as day that Chris was an unapologetic asshole, and that he didn't appear to have one ounce of remorse in him.

"I was trying to curb your enthusiasm. And I thought young people are more about flings than serious relationships."

"Young people. You make it sound like I'm just another person walking by. If you truly believe that about me, then you've never listened to a word I said. And I think it's fine. Because it proves that you've never wanted to know me at all."

"That's not true." Coldness turned into sharpness.

"Chris, let's face it. You just wanted someone convenient so that you could get laid whenever you felt like it. I just don't get it. Your husband is very attractive."

"So, you did follow me."

"No, you arrogant fuck." Jared couldn't believe he was capable of talking to someone like that. "It just happened that one of the agents I work with invited me to dinner yesterday so that he could introduce me to a client. I guess I was lucky to set foot in the same restaurant as you."

"Lucky?" A small snort accompanied that single word.

"Yes, lucky." Jared set his chin high, although Chris couldn't see him. "Otherwise, I would have just continued to believe you. What did you think, Chris?" He needed to ask, even if it made him sound pathetic. "That I was just some stupid kid you could play as you wanted?"

"Not exactly."

"This is the last conversation we're ever going to have in this life," Jared said. "If you have anything else to say, go ahead. I have a life to live. And rest assured, your husband will find out. Not from me, don't worry. You will slip one day. And then you'll lose him. It's true that I don't know him, but I have a hunch that it will be your loss, not his."

A short laugh was the answer. "It's true."

"What?"

"I did think you would be easy."

Jared could feel the blood draining from his face and then rushing back to his head. "Oh, did you?" The words fell from his mouth, tumbling one over the other.

"Yes. But I've come to know you a little, despite what you're saying. You're more than a pretty face and a nice body, Jared."

"Should I address my deepest thanks?"

"This sarcastic act doesn't suit you."

"Tough luck. It's the only one I have available right now."

"My husband knows."

One single sentence and Jared fell silent. "Do you think I'm a complete idiot? And what? He also sleeps on the side, so it's all 'kay. Is that it?"

"We're in an open relationship, yes."

Jared shook his head. "I don't believe you. Why didn't you tell me anything, then? And when you say that he knows, he knows about me or about you sleeping around, in general? Fuck, I can't believe I went bareback with you!"

The realization hit him in the middle of his chest with the force of a hammer. Caught in his disappointment, he hadn't even though about what that meant.

"We're responsible adults. We test regularly."

"Like that's supposed to make me feel good. You could sleep with who knows how many people. And your husband, too, if what you're telling me is true. Why did I trust you?"

That was a rhetorical question.

"You trusted me because you wanted to."

As much Jared wanted to come back with a nasty retort, he knew that there was a grain of truth in that. "Yes, I think so." There was no point denying it. "I wanted a relationship so badly that I decided it would be better if I ignored the signs."

"That's not it." Chris sounded so full of himself that Jared wanted to reach him at the other end and strangle him. "You trusted me because you liked me. I like you, too, Jared."

Jared caught the bridge of his nose between his thumb and forefinger and squeezed. "Of course. I'm very likable. I'm totally side piece material."

"That not what I meant. You put words in my mouth and thoughts in my mind."

Jared decided that he wouldn't allow being pulled in an argument that couldn't lead to anything good. "I'm done with you. I have no idea why I feel the need to tell you this since it's obvious."

"It's not. We do have something, Jared. I see how learning about my being married must have shocked you --"

"That's the understatement of the year. You and your husband can go and have fun for as long as you want and with whomever you want. But I don't see things the same way. You cheated on me, the way I see it. And you can't stop being a prick about it, too. Talking about adding insult to injury."

"That's not my intention, and you're overreacting. We can talk about this like adults. I can even introduce you to my husband."

"No, thanks," Jared said dryly.

"I don't want what we have to end. Think about it, Jared. We can have a lot of fun together."

"Seriously? It's not fun what I'm after."

"Sure. You imagine yourself an idealist. Maybe you need a bit of a wakeup call."

"I just got it, thanks. I'll know better from now on."

"Well, I see that you're difficult to talk to. If you reconsider, you have my number. I hope that you call."

"I really can't believe you." Jared could feel the bitter taste of disappointment on his tongue. "Whatever you think you're doing right now, stop. I'm not interested."

"Be it as you say. For what is worth, I did and do like you. And the sex has been amazing."

Jared closed his eyes and exhaled. "Telling me I was a decent fuck won't change how I feel about you. And you could go ahead and find plenty of guys who might be interested in what you offer. A lot of people wouldn't mind having a sponsor instead of a boyfriend. I guess that's what you wanted to provide."

"Just as a token of my appreciation."

"My head hurts already. Goodbye, Chris. I hope what you say about your husband is true so that he doesn't suffer from your cheating. Or I don't. I don't know which alternative is worse. But you should delete my number. I'll do that with yours."

Jared didn't wait another moment. Trembling in anger, he ended the conversation, and then he did as he had promised. For good measure, he turned off his phone, too. Now he had the entire Sunday to wallow in misery with no one to disturb him from it.

***

Moping around the house proved to be a tedious affair, after all. Jared tried to work for a while, then he fell asleep, only to wake up with a headache. To think that he had wanted a relationship that badly. It hadn't been worth it, after all. He needed to create a different strategy. Maybe he needed to wait for a boyfriend to happen as a natural thing --

It hadn't been like Chris, and he hadn't happened naturally. Jared had thought the attraction to be real since, at the time, he had had no idea of Chris's careful strategy. Could it be that Chris had waited that night for just any young man coming out of the club so that he could pick him up? It sounded like something Chris would do, the scumbag.

Their last conversation had been the most honest they had ever had. At least now, Jared knew who Chris was, for real. He rubbed his forehead and grimaced. He wasn't going to start crying now, was he?

A loud rap on the door startled him. Had Chris gone completely out of his mind and was now trying to bring down the door? He stared through the peephole and then opened the door quickly. A much disheveled Mike was standing in front of him.

"Oh, thank God you're okay!" Mike cried out.

Jared accepted Mike's tight embrace without reacting, first. Ah, damn, he had forgotten his phone turned off. And for a worrier like Mike, that must have been an ominous sign.

"There was no sign of you on your social media, either," Mike began jabbering. "I was worried sick."

Jared knew better than to make fun of Mike's reaction. He patted Mike on the back and then closed the door, taking him inside.

"Were you working? On Sunday?" Mike peeked into the space Jared had appointed as a small office. "Wait, why are you so quiet? Did anything happen? Something happened, I'm sure."

Jared placed one hand over Mike's mouth and smiled at him. "Mike, it's okay. I'm here. Breathe, okay?"

Mike nodded but pointed at Jared's hand, clamped over his mouth. Jared moved his hand away quickly.

"Something did happen," Mike said with conviction. "I rarely see you sad."

"I'm not sad," Jared protested, not really knowing where and how to start. It wasn't like him to complain all the time, and he didn't feel like starting to do that now. "It's just that --"

"Yes?" Mike asked, his eyes wide.

Jared felt the need to comfort Mike. Secretly, how Mike needed him made him feel good about himself, and he thought that it must be proof that he was a decent person. Why would Mike hurry to him each time he had a problem?

"Wait, what happened with Ryan?"

Mike's face shadowed. "Later. What happened to you?"

Jared sighed. "Chris is married."

"What? Is he cheating on his wife? I mean, he's cheating on you? I mean --"

"He's married to a man."

Mike stood there for a moment, baffled. "Wow," he whispered, and the corners of his mouth dropped. "I don't know if that's worse or not."

Jared shrugged. "I found out by accident. Last night, he canceled our plans, and it happened that Sam, one of the guys who bring me clients, contacted me and invited me to a business dinner. And in that posh restaurant, guess who I see?"

"Chris, with his husband?"

Jared nodded.

"What did you do? And what did he do?"

"He wasn't aware I saw him. And I kept a low profile all evening. I confronted him this morning."

"Did he come here?"

"No. Over the phone. We had a really interesting and eye-opening conversation. Apparently, Chris is in an open marriage, but he didn't care to let me in on that little secret. Actually," Jared added with a small snort, "he pretty much said that he would have told me at one point. What point that could be, he didn't say. Hell, he even said that he would introduce me to his husband. Can you believe it?"

Mike shook his head, and his eyes were filled with empathy. Jared smiled when Mike embraced him again. "He's a total scumbag, and he doesn't deserve you."

"Thanks for saying that, Mike. I think it serves me right. I was so obsessed about having a relationship that I lost track of what was the most important thing. I needed to make sure Chris was the right choice for me, not just find excuses and explanations -- But never mind me. I'm much in the mood for a romantic story."

Mike fidgeted. "I don't have one to tell. We did dance on the roof --"

"On the roof? Wow!" Jared massaged Mike's shoulders and guided him toward the kitchen. "Let me make you some cocoa. I know exactly how you like it."

Mike's phone went off. "It's Adrian. He asks me if I found our mother hen."

Jared rolled his eyes. "Tell him 'no' just to see how he would react. No, no, no. Just tell the truth. Although I bet, he gave you hell for being too worried."

"He did say something like maybe you took a trip to the Bahamas and now make some beds shake in rooms with the 'do not disturb' sign on the door. Therefore, your phone turned off," Mike said quickly.

Jared offered a crooked smile. "Oh, yes, and he had called me this morning to ask me to go with him to some romantic getaway. I think I will never get some people. Or all of them. I don't know. I suck at relationships and that, without having any experience whatsoever."

"It's not your fault," Mike said as he typed a message for Adrian quickly.

"So, you danced on the roof."

Mike made a sad face, and with him, it was for real. "And then he told me we could not happen. Do you remember how Adrian said something about sexual harassment lawsuits and whatnot?"