All Comments on 'Friendship and Worse'

by Mainefiddleheads

Sort by:
  • 91 Comments
AnonymousAnonymousabout 7 years ago
Just as good as ever

I started at the top of the list. You were there, and I wasn't disappointed. Just as good as ever! Great story. Thanks for posting and being part of this great day.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 7 years ago
A

Awsome as always , never stop !

LordSlamdawggLordSlamdawggabout 7 years ago
So savvy but flatlining narrator during cuck ordeal morphs like chrysalis into behind the scenes 'mover and shaker' butterfly?

The lead character was too low energy of an individual during clutch time for too long to convince me of conclusion. He made somnolent Jeb Bush look like Ritalin Kid by comparison. I loved Mainefiddleheads masterful physical descriptions of the Pine Tree State and it's animal denizens.

Most of the Maineiacs were pithy and on point too but the lead character was too much of a disabling stone in the story shoe for too long for conclusion to be plausible . He was too long a bystander , as his personal life got totaled out.by the powers that be to be a credible playah' by my lights. Once again ...except for him , story was nigh spellbinding.

I appreciate this author taking part in this special day. Mainefiddleheads is a author of first tier more often, then not.

tazz317tazz317about 7 years ago
IN POLITICS, FRIENDS AND WORSE

leads to Worser" and there are none, TK U MLJ LV NV

sbrooks103xsbrooks103xabout 7 years ago
Thoughts

Not that I'd take her back anyway, but a few things made it impossible for me. In no particular order:

She's back with the guy that helped her destroy her marriage, who sent he husband a picture of her giving him a BJ.

She wasn't "just" fucking Hodges, but she was neglecting her husband; when she supposedly wanted to talk, and he gave her the chance, she blew him off.

Why do the women always want to be "made" to do it, but if their HUSBANDS tried to "make" them, they'd slap them into next year?

BuzzCzarBuzzCzarabout 7 years ago
I had high hopes

Based on this author's previous work my expectations were high. They were met. Well told, tightly written, good Maine characters, and a good ending. Thanks.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 7 years ago
Good read!!!

A story, well and smooth written! Good contrast to that other crap of cuckold/wimp stories!!

AnonymousAnonymousabout 7 years ago
Smooth and smoky

Like a good Bourbon. After a lobster roll.

Pity the 2d husband. Unless he has a strong arm and a sturdy belt!

5 stars

rcrmonte3rcrmonte3about 7 years ago
Welcome Back!

I hope this is the first of many more. This is the kind of story that almost defines the difference between erotic and porn. Unfortunately, most of the stories on Lit are porn.

Porn=explicit, detailed sex descriptions.

Erotic=we had sex, but you need to use your imagination as to what we did. Sometimes the mere suggestion of a possible sexual encounter is even more erotic.

I loved the story and still think you are the best on Lit. 5*, Favs in both areas.

1wrngrght1wrngrghtabout 7 years ago
Right Next Door

Ayuh - fair bit of writin'. Can't quite say wicked good - but prettineah.

oshawoshawabout 7 years ago

It must be tiresome of you to keep rolling out wonderful stories, one after the other. Please, do not stop!

TrtrolesTrtrolesabout 7 years ago
Good one

I love your work and I am not speaking only about this story. All of them are great.

Five stars.

njlaurennjlaurenabout 7 years ago
A great read

It is a pleasure to read mf's stories,the setting,the writing. The only criticism I have with the story is Kathy's story, it was handled a little to blase, we never really find out why she did what she did (at least to me), the cliche of 'she needed help' to me was a bit trite when everything happens at the end. She seems to lover her husband,she even quits, probably to save her marriage, so why does she go back? Was the kink that much of a draw?

Tx Tall TalesTx Tall Talesabout 7 years ago
Brilliant

Nobody (except perhaps JimBob44 and Winterfrog) makes setting and culture as integral and wonderful a part of the story as does Mainefiddleheads. For me, that submersion into another culture makes the difference between what could be a good story and a great one. Having spent some time in the region, it draws me in like nothing else.

The story was entertaining, the complete package sublime. Thanks.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 7 years ago

the independent governor deserves 5 stars on his own. Story was awesome, i like ever character except for the antogonists and the main character. so saying that i only liked clair and bill. but you deserve more than that for your fantastic story telling.

maninconnmaninconnabout 7 years ago
I agree with NJLauren

Kathy's story would be as fascinating as what you wrote here! I'd love to read her POV as a spinoff!

lance_spearmanlance_spearmanabout 7 years ago
Nice political story

but not enough interpersonal drama (in my opinion) to qualify for the LW category.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 7 years ago
Very good story BUT,...

I can't believe there wouldn't be at least ONE clear the air meeting. I can understand the attitude that the only thing that matters is the fact that she did it, the 'why' of it is irrelevant. Personally, when I accidentally step in something unpleasant, I want to pay enough attention to the 'why' of it that I can avoid stepping in it again.

boatbummboatbummabout 7 years ago
Legends Day Hurrah!

Thanks to Randi organizing this outstanding Legends Day lineup, I've been introduced to another fine author on this site!

If the rest of your work is as well crafted as this, I'm in for a treat as time goes by and I read more of it.

That being said, I do agree with some other commenters that Kathy's motivations seem a bit sketchy and aren't presented sufficiently. Love some of your lines, especially "She had made herself weasel bait in the game of fuckery." Good thing I didn't have a mouthful of lobstah roll at the time, 'cause I would have spit it out everywhere! ;-)

Thanks for a fine read and Happy Legends Day!

AnonymousAnonymousabout 7 years ago
Great

Another good one. I love your easygoing Maine stories.

Boyd Percy

bruce22bruce22about 7 years ago
Thanks for a good story

As usual the big question has no answer. Personally I suspect the authors do this to avoid polarizing the audience to a violent reaction.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 7 years ago
boring and meandering

the guy was a fucking wimp. he didn't do much of anything, didn't even have enough balls to divorce the whore right away. don't waste your time. *

sugnasugnaabout 7 years ago
Great Governor!

Well written, but the writers on this site need to come up with more plausible reasons behind wives cheating. In my experience I have seen them cheat out of sheer lust for a good lucking guy. I have seen them cheat because their marriage is fucked up from both spouses not doing the maintenance required to keep it running well. Instead of working on it, they look for new relationship. I have never seen a wife who really loved her husband cheat on him. In every case, the marriage was shitty and two dimensional before she cheated. The same goes for husbands. When the "betrayed" spouse realizes that there was no real love - it is a lot easier for them.

rightbankrightbankabout 7 years ago
More than entertaining,

One of the things I most enjoy about reading a story by this author is how local it is. You have to learn a new vocabulary and a course in geography is a must if you want to keep up with the characters. They may be flawed, but that too is very real part of the charm.

thanks

CrkcpprCrkcpprabout 7 years ago
Wonderful trip up East

Well , from my location , it's up East . I love MFH's postcard stories , I feel like I want a lobster roll and a Maine Coon now .

Please give your fans ( me !!!) some more of your homespun stories .

5 *'s

enjayemenjayemabout 7 years ago
5*

Loved the undercurrent of political intrigue. The actual political process is a little odd to those of us beneath the Southern Cross, but the "game remains the same". Thanks for wonderful tale

AnonymousAnonymousabout 7 years ago
good but...

of my favorite writers, all I can say is: you've done better.

cabbage01132cabbage01132about 7 years ago
nice read 5*

excellent little tale. im always a little disapointed when good stories like this aren't fleshed out a little more with the betrayal and emotions and reasoning behind it all, i guess i'm just greedy.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 7 years ago
You described well the death of a marriage that was already sick. But, . . .

if he had confronted Kathy immediately and she had confessed her mental illness, he might have been able to get her help earlier, and at least have the respect of having saved his future ex-wife from further degradation. But really, it didn't sound like much of a marriage worth fighting for. No children, egocentric professions, ambition outweighing love and respect. Good riddance.

Thanks for your contribution to the day.

heathrowinneoheathrowinneoabout 7 years ago
As all of your stories... 5

another well-written, captivating story. love the political aspect and consequences plus the far-reaching effect of the government... so well done and always a joy to read. mfh, one of lit's legends and story teller.

xtremeddxtremeddabout 7 years ago
Good One MFH !!

When you throw dirt, you loose ground....

Does not apply here. Just wanted to type it.

She killed her marriage just because she could and chose to. He moved on.

You wrote it and we enjoyed the story and writing. ***** Another classic MFH tale.

Thanks for sharing on Lit.

x

AnonymousAnonymousabout 7 years ago
4*s AMAZING

Wow❗ A concise, emotional roller coaster. With the added bonus of political skullduggery. Gave you 4*s.

Mainefiddleheads, I admire your natural talent but even more, I give you kudos for developing it over these last few years. What a long distance covered from that first story.

Your fine comment of oshaw's overlong (6 pages), mash up is to your credit. You are a kind and humane, compassionate fellow.

Thank you for the story👏.

AMerryman

AnonymousAnonymousabout 7 years ago
5 stars - Great story, fantastic writing style...

I love the way you write, the way it's laid out and leads the reader exactly where you want him to go. I would have been a bit more gruff with the husband's treatment of the wife - she really dumped on him, but they were both very respectful, polite, and supportive. Yeah, that's no fun for the reader. I rarely think a BTB is required and certainly don't think one's needed here, but maybe a little yelling and begging from the wife so we all know she still loved her husband. No one wants to divorce a wife who doesn't care, it's just too durn boring.

Can't understand why there are several comments about needing to find out why she did it. Why did she cheat? Who cares? It's been my experience that cheaters rarely possess the introspective qualities required for an intelligent discourse as to why they killed their marriage. Anyone possessing such qualities would probably have pondered the wisdom in starting an affair during an election cycle and found another path to follow. Great story, keep writing. Thanks!

OnethirdOnethirdabout 7 years ago
Another nice one

I enjoy your stories- they move along, and most of the heartache and angst is off camera. Plus, how cool is it to hang loose at a cabin on a lake? Never been to Maine, but I've been told that it is "The Wyoming of the Northeast". Being from Wyoming, that intrigues me. I am sorry for the wife- I hate when a generally sensible middle-aged woman falls off the rails. Their "attractiveness stock" is ebbing and they always wind up sad and trading down. We weren't told, but I assume she didn't meet with him because she was "tied up" at work again? Pretty serious deadline to miss if you have any intention of trying to save a marriage.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 7 years ago
Another Prize

Another excellent story of crime and punishment although the ending for Kathy was a bit slim. Also, proofread a bit more. Jim Hodges was not also Bill, that got a bit confusing a couple of times.

Anyway, top grade on this one and with the current politics, could there be any relationships?

Tiny Tim

Impo_64Impo_64about 7 years ago
A good story with a lot of ingredients...

A good story with a lot of ingredients: cheating, politics, sexual scandals...It has some issues, but overall a good read...4*

AnonymousAnonymousabout 7 years ago
"M" ....

.... you write a very good story BUT once again the deceitful wife "gets off" (pun intended) in another of your tales. Sorry but being served and having to apologize to her "cuck" husband is NOT punishment .... never has been .... never will be in "most' of the eyes of your readers. The fact is Kathy broke her marriage vows and betrayed the one person she pledged her loyalty to .... and you answer is to have another husband "just walk away"! The difficult part is trying to understand why you continue to support this type of behavior. It damages the credibility of your story and cheapens your stories ending.

But as they say .... it is YOUR story .... "for better or worse" ....

Signed,

Another Nameless Anon

AnonymousAnonymousabout 7 years ago
have grown more than a little weary...

...of the myth that females enter into affairs for ''emotional or ''getting ahead in career.

During my life I have been flat out proposition by a score of wives-most of whom an hour before they propositioned me had never met me.

They just wanted to get laid by a good looking muscular guy....some older, some younger...all of whom I turned down.

Having become a mature male, I am no longer driven by coming of age hormones and the quest for sexual experience.

For the past 30 plus years I have only engaged in sex with someone I was in exclusive relationship with and only after we had committed to each other. The last 20 I have been married.

I do not believe I am the exception....most adult males are like me

AnonymousAnonymousabout 7 years ago
tough guys dont dance

the descriptions and names reminded me of that fine book. TC.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 7 years ago
Genetics

"So, a few days later found me again sitting at that familiar kitchen table with the calico Maine coon cat rubbing his fur against my leg begging for table scraps."

Calico cats are genetically female.

MainefiddleheadsMainefiddleheadsalmost 7 years agoAuthor
anon geneticist

Wild Bill's calico Maine coon cat was one of those 1 out of 3,ooo males born as a calico. Not only that but he was also that 1 out of a 1,ooo that was also not sterile.

MFH

HankWTullamoreHankWTullamorealmost 7 years ago
Hey MFH, good story

Liked it better the second time I read it - so I tried to recall why I marked it at 4* at first.

Probably because I cringe at alphabet soup agencies stepping in to take sides- and helping the outsider oust the career pols.

Oh, . . . maybe that's not so incredible, after all.

(I actually think most in these agencies believe they are doing "good", but the problem is they forget that the rules are important - and it's the elected who set the policy, not the bureaucrats.)

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 7 years ago
great story

I wish Hodges had thought the MC was the architect of his downfall.

AnonymousAnonymousover 6 years ago
perhaps...

...there will come the day when your husband character will have more fortitude and backbone, not to mention grey matter, right from the get go...

Perhaps....

AnonymousAnonymousover 6 years ago
soon to be

A resident of Maine. Your stories about that state's husbands were deciding factor. A lifelong resident of Montana the climate will be no problem.

In my mid 40s, fit, good looking and financially more than secure I am certain to do very well with a numer of married females. Evidently the husbands just walk away in defeat.

curioussscuriousssover 6 years ago
Good story MFH

So far you're ahead of the others in my estimation.

Pity there're only 5 possible scores but you get the 5

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 6 years ago
glad I found ya, a good story writer but,

I've been lookin up so damn many new words I had a hard time going with the flow of the story....maybe when I'm half through with your good free stories I'll be able to git it read in the flow you meant it to go...

5ssss.....bill

cabbage01132cabbage01132over 5 years ago
5* nice to read

a grown ups story

cabbage01132cabbage01132over 5 years ago
"weasel bait in the game of fuckery"

great line.

26thNC26thNCover 5 years ago
Good topical story

Fits our current situation perfectly. Dirty tricks and politics never seen to end. Great story, as always from MFH. Really enjoyed it.

AnonymousAnonymousover 5 years ago
I am as sorry for what I've done as any woman possibly could be. I also know it doesn't mean much but if there was any chance at all we could step back and try this again-"

Sure why not? I mean I left you for fucking him just the once that I knew of at the time, but since you fucked him for nearly a year, engaged in orgies, kiddy porn, and publicly dated him why wouldnt I take you back now?

AnonymousAnonymousover 5 years ago
Why ...

...the plea for a legal separation, instead of a divorce? Was he contemplating taking her back? She proved herself to be totally debauched, reveling in the debasement to which the whoreson Jim Hodges subjected her! - and then she expected to sit down and explain herself? Having gone on furlough to avoid Hodges, she still returned to her old situation and the orgies!!! What a delusional female! Well written. Five stars.

JbRobertssonJbRobertssonover 5 years ago
Love reading your stories...

You're a great writer, you really are. Plus, even better, the stories you write resonate and are quite entertaining.

Thanks for posting.

Just_WordsJust_Wordsabout 5 years ago
A very fine story!

It is refreshing to read something where the story brings in elements not normally read here including Maine and politics. That was a lot of fun! Thank you.

TreymonTreymonabout 5 years ago
That

Was great reading about a guy who faced the reality recovered from the backstabbing and moved on .Rather than the hapless cuckold who can't ever be happy again without the cheater.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 5 years ago
what's funny is...

if the wife had expressed this new kink to her husband, he'd have done it.

men are naturally dominant. we are literally brow beaten from BIRTH to behave less like we would normally. we are conditioned to be socially acceptable. a man puts almost zero effort into being dominant, except in rare cases (i know there are naturally passive men out there)

about 70% of all women i'v ever been intimate with have wanted animistic alpha tenancies from me. i was foolishly avoiding that as a teenager though. but i was curious, and talked to them often. some of them were even honest enough to explain how they, on occasion, want to be desired enough to evoke animal passion. since then i'v rarely asked to be dominant. of course you stop if she's not into it (that 30%) but the vast majority really enjoy it.

the wife was a grown adult. she made decision after decision to cheat AND neglect her current relationship. The husband was correct, cheating aside, she had cheated in her vows to be there for him. She neglected their shared commitment to one another. If she had never touched another man, he'd have a good case as is to leave her. A marriage is work, not a trophy like she seemed to believe.

Just_WordsJust_Wordsalmost 5 years ago
I just read it again.

Your stories transport me to Maine as an extra benefit to some excellent story telling. I especially liked "It was another over-stuffed lobster roll and a cold Moxie on a bright October day in Friendship, Maine." Not many people outside Maine know what Moxie is and fewer still can drink it.

As for the claim that her lover made her do it, no. No one makes you cheat. It's all about priorities. Her marriage just wasn't very high on the list.

Excellent story!

AnonymousAnonymousover 4 years ago
Moxie Is Now Owned By Coca-Cola

As of last year. Haven't figured out how the state drink of Maine can be made by a company headquartered in New Hampshire. Haven't had any in years, there must be a reason for that. Love the writing style and the settings in the great NE. A lot like reading StangStar's Michigan and Longhorn's Texas, my former and present homes. A good man who just wasn't going to put up with a slut and moved on, no more, no less. Wild Bill and the coon cat, perfect. Signed: BTW

jtwheelsjtwheelsover 4 years ago
Set them up knock them down

He just took. Rape

If not you went along

Consensual

Too many stories he didn't ask just took me

Submissive

AnonymousAnonymousabout 4 years ago
Meh.

You write well, quite well really. The problem is you are depressing and there is nothing pleasing about anything you write. I will grant you 4 stars for quality of writing but you don't draw me in. After reading several of your works, you seem to get off on misery. I am sure others enjoy your works. Personally i pass

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 4 years ago
Realism

True, this is not a "feel good" story, but it is realistic. Realism is sometimes depressing. Many of the stories that I find most memorable are a little depressing. This is one of those stories. 5*

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 4 years ago
Interesting

A good story. One thing I can’t quite wrap my head around, though. A libertarian spook? That just seems like an oxymoron to me. You know, kind of like “ethical politician “. But: Good story, MFH, thanks.

26thNC26thNCover 3 years ago

Again, just reinforces the reasons I hate poliricians.

mainer42mainer42about 3 years ago

great story and you made me chuckle a bit. BTW I live in Saco and do all my insurance business in Biddeford, thank the Lord.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 3 years ago

That was a really fun story to read.

iameaseliameaselover 2 years ago

An enjoyable one to be completely honest.

For some, I need remind you this IS a story so this gem was a tad bit of idiocy "Again, just reinforces the reasons I hate poliricians." Yes because someone made up a story about politicians. And sadly, we all know how selective that "hate" is dont we!

msconley2172msconley2172over 2 years ago

Fun read, I enjoyed the characterization!

not_a_viking_honestnot_a_viking_honestover 2 years ago

Kinda fun, not really satisfying to me though.

Demosthenes384bcDemosthenes384bcabout 2 years ago

Entertaining for sure! 5*

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 2 years ago

The plot of Tough Guys Don't Dance isn't a patch on the plot here. Nicely done. TC Ireland.

GumpershnickalGumpershnickalalmost 2 years ago

I can forgive grammar, I cant forgive multiple name mix ups. from the half way point it seemed Hodges name was Bill half the time and Jim the other half. which is extra confusing as the interviewee was Bill

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 2 years ago

Your literary use of ser imagery is beyond amazing. Your description his travels in main for interview was so rich I could she images in technicolor. The cheating element, and his reactions to, were realistic to a fault. THANK GOD you didn't offer up BS "I still love her" and then entertain the thought that maybe he "just get by this as a one time cuxk. God, thank you sparing us that.

A captivating story, cleverly done, with an imminently believable story line.

Easily, to me, one of your 3 best offerings!

Thank you!

AnonymousAnonymousover 1 year ago

Prophetic!

AnonymousAnonymousover 1 year ago

Really, really well done.

AnonymousAnonymousover 1 year ago

Your imagery, research for set accuracy and character development are consistantly excellent. You shoot your story in the foot with the MC nonsensical dithering about whether or not to proceed with divorce. Really why do that? It derails a well crafted story line with something so patently absurd. Please, my request, stop doing that. You're to good a writer to lazily lean on the wornout LE trope.

AnonymousAnonymousover 1 year ago

A very enjoyable story. The depiction of the politics of Maine are not much different from the politics of Texas. Different issues but remarkably similar characters. And this writer never disappoints. Thanks, MFH.

AnonymousAnonymousover 1 year ago

Well written. Wife has mental issues. Some real problems. Do these really take 16 years to surface? Dunno. Human behavior is such a mess. Odd that she is so sorry but didn't rush to make amends. And why all the resistance if she goes back to the Asshole anyways. Weird. But good story.

davezqdavezqover 1 year ago

"As a child my sister and I would visit the area staying with relatives during the summer where we would chase each other over muddy tidal flats until one of us fell face first into the muck. It was a place where the smells of steaming clams and mussels mingled with layers of seaweed in the pot over a hot fire. When we were fortunate, father would drop a few lobsters into the pot and we'd litter the ground with bright red shells at our feet." This is good writing. Keep it up! Oh it should be "As children my sister and I..." but that's trivial.

BuzzCzarBuzzCzarover 1 year ago

All those Sandlapper political names popping up gave the story a kind of homey feel. Loved it.

AnonymousAnonymousover 1 year ago

I suppose the writer support Santos as well!

AnonymousAnonymousover 1 year ago

Apparently, use of the term "crooked politician" just means you're redundantly repeating yourself.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 1 year ago

Thankyou a good read.

buzzsawlennybuzzsawlennyabout 1 year ago

Only problem is he didn't get a dig in on Hodges for that text. I woulda liked to see that slimy lil fish get taken down a peg.

FD45FD4512 months ago

How would the political plants in the alphabet agencies not scuttle that plan from the beginning?

They did it to higher personages

HighBrowHighBrow11 months ago

All the tension came from the Femdom agitprop plot. Why not tell that story?!

AnonymousAnonymous10 months ago

A high degree of detail (whether it’s accurate I’ve no clue) regarding the political machinations in government but sadly lacklustre when dealing with the personal aspects of the story.

But it’s nice to see poor old ‘highbrow’ is still doing his I AM GROOT impression. Apparently he sees all LW stories as a feminist conspiracy to take over the world. Bless his little cotton socks.

ImNotanAnonImNotanAnon8 months ago

Every time I see HighBrow ranting about femdom agitprop, I picture the South Park crowds screaming, "Rabble, rabble rabble!"

AnonymousAnonymous8 months ago

Average as he got drunk for 6 days instead of planning and executing painful results on Hodges.

Plan execute and then drink to success

Calico75Calico755 months ago

I like it. Interesting. Not really emotional, but good anyway.

DukeofPaducahDukeofPaducah2 months ago

This was the first of your stories that I have read and I’m glad that I did. Your descriptive skills are some of the best

I have seen on this site so far, ‘Belt notch pussy’ was one of my favorites. ‘She nipped out in the cool air’ was another. Thank you. I’m looking forward to reading more of your stories.

Anonymous
Our Comments Policy is available in the Lit FAQ
Post as:
Anonymous