Full Count...

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

When the time came for me to leave, Beth walked me out. Standing beside my truck she started the conversation.

"Mr. Plato, I truly appreciate everything that you've done for Matthew. He loves to watch you play. He did even before you spoke to him. Now it's even worse. He hasn't taken that glove off since you gave it to him."

"Please. It's Joe. Look, I'm happy to do it. I don't have any family out here and the tickets just go to waste, so any time that you want them, it's really not a problem. I usually leave two, how come I never see you at the games with him?"

"I sit up top where I can pick up the WiFi signal."

"That would explain it. Anyway, thanks for letting me stay for supper."

"Thank-you for buying it."

"Enjoy the rest of your night and try not to give Matthew too much grief. Him being at the game was mostly my fault." Her nod confirmed that I was at fault, I think, but it didn't let either of us off the hook.

I couldn't help but smile about my night. Matthew loved baseball and everything about it, but his sister appeared to be disinterested and probably had her hands full with the life that she had.

Monday's game would be played under the lights, so I had plenty of time for a mid-morning jog before heading to the park. Never being someone that obsesses over my phone, I never bring it along.

It wasn't until somewhere around 1:30pm that I noticed 3 missed calls and a couple of missed texts.

My return call was answered on the first ring. Matthew tried to stammer some sort of warning into his phone, but his sister grabbed it away before he completed what he was trying to say.

To say her voice sounded irate would have been an understatement.

"Mr. Plato, can you explain to me why Direct TV showed up at our apartment this morning?"

"I'm not sure..."

"Not only did they hook up satellite and internet service. They also installed a brand-new smart television. Can you explain that?"

"Well I..."

"Do you think that I didn't notice when the technician winked at Matthew when he told him that he won a contest? I want some answers right now. Tell me what it is that you're after from my brother."

My jaw felt like it was dragging on the ground.

"Nothing. I don't want a goddamn thing. We're friends. We talk and shoot the shit about baseball. He gives me tips on pitchers, and what their tells are. Is it a horrible thing for him to be able to watch some of the games that he wants? So, I don't know what the hell you are implying, but I know that I don't like it.

"You do know that Matthew has a disability, correct?"

"Disability? I'm not so sure that's how he would describe it, and no, we have never talked about it. I know that we haven't known each other a long time, but I think that we are friends. Not that you would know what that's like for him, but if it is going to cause him problems in his life, tell me right now. I'll delete his number from my phone, and you will never hear from me again. I'm sorry, but where I'm from we were always taught that it doesn't cost anything to be nice. Maybe you should try it sometime."

The next sound I heard was Matthew's phone disconnecting from mine.

What a shitty night. I went 1 for 4, with an error. The team won, but I didn't do a thing to help them. The next 2 games were pretty much the same. Luckily, we were headed out for a road trip on Thursday and there was nothing like a road trip to take your mind off of your home park, even if said trip was to St Louis.

Sitting at my locker in Busch Stadium, I picked up my phone for the first time since Monday's fiasco.

There were plenty of texts from Matthew, but only the last one made me smile.

You got Wainwright tonight. Watch for his curveball.

On game days, I wouldn't normally respond, but tonight I made the exception.

Thanks buddy! He tries to throw that shit by me, and I'm taking him long.

My first game away from Chavez Ravine was my best in a while. Only a single away from hitting for the cycle, but there isn't anyone alive in baseball that would swing for a single when they could put their second homer of the night over the wall. A simple "Told you" waited for me on my phone. I had to laugh at Matthew becoming my personal batting coach.

The rest of the trip went well, and we flew into L.A. late Thursday night. Without much fanfare I headed home and grabbed a beer. Picking up my phone, I shot a text off to Matthew,

"Hey buddy, Miami's in town this weekend. Always lots of good tickets available if you want some for you and your sister".

I didn't have to wait too long before he responded.

"Beth works Friday night. Can't Saturday because it's my birthday, but Beth says Sunday would be good."

"Perfect! I'll leave them at the same gate. Happy Birthday Buddy!!!"

30 minutes later I heard my phone binging.

"Joe, do you want to come for pizza for my birthday. No gifts".

It probably wasn't such a good idea, considering how my last conversation had gone with his sister.

"I would love to, but I think your sister wouldn't be too happy about it. Also, we have a 1:00 game, so I couldn't make it until around 6:00pm."

I was sure that he would say that he would just wait until Sunday to see me, but he surprised me.

"It was her idea and she said that it's okay, we'll meet you there at six. Pizza at Guido's on Balboa, do you know it?"

"I'll find it. See you then!"

We split Friday and Saturday's games. The afternoon game went 11 innings, so it was a bit of a rush to get to the party. Even with my foot into it, I was twenty minutes late. Walking in with 2 bags in hand, I could hear Matthew telling his sister that he knew that I'd show up. But before I reached the table, I also heard him say, "I told him. You saw me text him. I told him".

"Hey buddy, Happy Birthday. Sorry I'm a bit late."

"That's okay. I told you no gifts. Tell Beth that I told you. Tell her."

"You did tell me. These aren't gifts. They're some things that were kicking around at the park and I thought that you might be able to use them." I handed a bag to the birthday boy and one to Beth.

Matthew smiled and silently tore into his bag. Beth glanced into the bag that I had handed her and snidely said, "Really?".

So that it wouldn't create a problem, I opened my phone to my photos and handed it to her. "Yeah, DELL is one of our team sponsors. We have, well you saw the picture, lots of laptops. They are available to anyone that needs one, so I grabbed one. Matthew told me some of the programs that you use, so I had the team tech load them up. It has everything that is current and new." She was still giving me the stink eye but was looking into the bag. "I just thought that it could replace your old one." When she dropped her guard a little, I threw in, "It was free. I didn't spend a cent on it."

A very sheepish, "thank you very much, but what about that?", and she pointed at her brother.

We both looked over at Matthew who had put on the warmup jacket that was in his bag and was holding up one of the team's leather World Series Champion jackets. Beside it on the table was a new Iphone that was still in the box.

"The jackets are also available to us. AT&T is another one of our sponsors. As of 30 minutes ago his old number has been changed over to this phone. It has everything at zero cost to him. My friends at AT&T took care of everything, including the cost of closing out his old account."

"He had a phone."

"I am aware, but this one is a little self-serving for me. He can use it to take pictures and videos of me when he's at the games and maybe give me some tips." Beth laughed and gave me a "yeah, right", and shook her head, but at least she was smiling.

"Look, I know you said no gifts, and this is the closest that I could come. I didn't spend a penny. Well that's a lie. I bought the gift bags at the dollar store."

"Please Beth. Please can I keep them Beth?" Matthew was pleading with her and I could tell that it was putting his sister in an awkward position.

"Yes, but I don't want you on that phone all night."

"Buddy. Instead of picking up the tickets at the gate, I put them in your card."

A large meat pizza, house salad and a jug of Coke, and of course a flaming birthday cake, turned out to be my buddy's favorite birthday meal. The night went fairly well after Beth got over the gifts and started to believe that I wasn't trying to buy anything or anyone.

Matthew opened up about Beth being a year younger than him but being his guardian since she turned 18, a few years earlier. The year after their parents died in a car accident. They had stayed with an aunt and uncle who had depleted any of the savings that they had inherited, and when it was gone, the only family that remained, kicked them to the curb.

Working part-time at a nursing home while doing nursing classes must have been taxing on Beth, but not once did she complain about it. What she did complain about was her older brother spending too much time watching, reading about and going to baseball games.

When Beth picked up the check for the meal, I didn't even bat an eyelash. I was an invited guest and there wasn't a chance that I would even consider insulting her.

"Are you guys sticking around after the game tomorrow?" They looked at each other and shrugged. "The reason I'm asking is, it's supposed to be stinking hot and if you want, bring your suits and you can come over for a swim and we'll BBQ something. Does everyone like steak?" They both nodded. "Perfect. If you don't want to wait, I'll give you the address and gate codes, and you can get a head start before I get there."

I could see it in Beth's face that this appealed to her far more than sitting in a hot stadium.

"Joe, that's very generous, but we don't want to be any problem." It was already too late. I had sent Matthew the coordinates and codes.

"How are we going to find it Beth? Do you know this street? I don't." He showed her the info on his phone, and she shook her head.

"Use your new phone buddy. It has Google maps. I'll be there shortly after the game. Make yourselves at home. Lots of towels and drinks in the cabana by the pool. If you can't find anything, look around for it."

The weatherman wasn't wrong. Waves of heat shimmered over the outfield causing the damp sweat to cover every inch of my body. It was uncomfortable and gave me a new appreciation for night games.

A pitcher's duel ended with a 2 -- 1 win. By 4:30, I was on the highway headed home.

Pulling through the steel gates I noticed the old Toyota parked close to the garage. It was the first time in over 4 months that I had had any kind of company over.

I know that I am at times sheltered and spoiled. Sheltered because, my life has for at last year and a half, has been one where I have lived well, but I was coached and guided every inch of the way. Spoiled because I was given an athletic gift. A star in college. Short, bright stints in "AA" and "AAA" ball, then the move to the majors and all the accolades that followed. Money and fame.

But as sheltered and spoiled as I am or can be, I'm not jaded. There are some things that keep me level- headed. Being kind to others helps and remembering to enjoy the purest and simplest things in life also doesn't hurt.

One of those things is recognizing beauty and walking towards the pool I could see that Beth was just that. Beautiful. Pure and natural. Tall and blonde. A true California girl, beautiful. Perky breasts. A round, firm butt. A body that would be the envy of most. The tiny droplets of water glided effortlessly down her bronzed skin forming a pool beneath her. The air was very hot, but it reacted with the cool water, making her nipples appear under the thin cloth of her modest suit.

Her beauty wasn't just skin deep. It was also in mind and spirit. As she bounced on the rock diving platform, throwing pool toys to her brother she had a brightness and life about her that few have. There was no self-pity about the cards that she had been dealt. Instead she laughed and played like a teen and not like the 22-year old woman that was the only care provider for her older brother. For the first time in a long while, I was truly attracted to a woman.

"Joe, you coming in?" Matthew noticed me first.

"Absolutely. I'll change and be there in two minutes."

Minutes later, a dive / belly flop signaled my arrival. Submerging, I could hear the siblings laughing.

"No problems finding the place?"

"Not really, but Matthew and I had to try to act like we belonged here. Security pulled right up behind us when we stopped at the gate. I'm sure if the code didn't work, they'd have shot us on the spot."

Now it was Matthew's and my turn to laugh.

"Did you guy's help yourselves to drinks?"

"No. Beth said that we shouldn't impose. No drinks."

"Well now that you have the code, you can come over here to cool down any time that you want, so you had better find out where the drinks are." I pointed toward the cabana and Matthew was out of the pool like a shot.

"Look Joe, thanks a lot for coming last night and for today. It means more to him than you'll ever know. You are his hero, but you don't have to do all of this."

"Hero? Well heroes often fail. I would prefer to be a friend more than a hero." Beth shook her head in disbelief. "Matthew told me that you don't drink, so can I offer you a soda, juice, flavored water or something like that?"

"I drink. I just don't drink a lot. It's a luxury that we can't afford. It takes the backseat to other things."

Understood.

"Oh. I have lots of other things too. If you'd like something stronger, that is."

"White wine?"

"Done." Finding Matthew staring through the glass doors, into the vast cavern of the cooler, I asked if everything was alright.

"Yeah. There's just so much. I don't know which one I want."

"Have one of everything."

"Beth would kill me. Kill me dead for sure. Manners. She told me before we got here."

"Well, Cherry Coke and Vanilla Coke are my favorites." That sealed the deal. Matthew pulled out a can of the cherry and made his way to the pool.

"A glass of white for the lady."

"Thank you very much. Nothing for you?"

"Nope. Your brother tempted me with a Cherry Coke. I had to have one."

"Joe, your home is beautiful. Thank you so much for inviting us." Matthew shook his head wildly. "Yeah, this pool is sooooo cool. It's so hot. Our apartment is so hot right Beth. Tell Joe how hot it is."

"Yes Matthew, it can get pretty hot."

"I wasn't joking. Anytime that you are free, come over and use it, even if I am on the road. Matthew knows my schedule. The WIFI password is on the fridge. Help yourself to whatever you can find."

"I think that's a little too generous of an offer for us to except."

"Not really. There's never anyone here. It nice to have company."

"No family Joe?"

"Beth. No Beth." Matthew's tone sounded like he was scolding her.

"What? I'm just asking."

"Not really. My father passed 4 years ago. He and my mother divorced years ago. She remarried and has a family of her own. We only see one another a couple of times a year, if that." Matthew was staring at his sister.

"I'm really sorry. I had no idea."

"Don't be. How would you know?"

"Well it looks like he knew." Pointing at her brother.

"That's because he reads about baseball. Sports Illustrated likes to write tell all's. Anyway, let me start the BBQ and get us some more drinks. Matthew, vanilla or cherry?"

"Vanilla."

Beth's guard was down from the night before. She laughed and even joked about baseball. The steaks and salad were a hit and Matthew lost his shit when I pulled out a small ice cream cake.

We wandered around the house so that I could show them where things were, just in case they came over and I wasn't there. Beth was amazed at the size of the bedrooms and the ensuite bathrooms. Her bother was fascinated by some of the memorabilia that I had and wouldn't leave the trophy room.

"Oh my god. I can't get over the size of those tubs. I can't remember the last time that I soaked in one. We only have a shower at our place. But on hot days like this, it works out okay because there is very little hot water."

"Well, I'll take Matthew downstairs. You can lock the door and soak for a while. Toiletries are in the closet somewhere."

"I couldn't. Plus, we have overstayed our welcome. We should probably be going."

"Your call. You said at dinner that you didn't start until noon tomorrow. Relax, have another glass of wine and stay the night. I have fresh robes and lots of new t-shirts and sweats that you can lounge in. There are 4 spare bedrooms. Pick one. They all lock. And if you feel more comfortable, the one down the hall has two beds, so Matthew can crash in there and keep you safe."

"It's not that. It's just that..."

"I understand. It's very hot out and I know that you guys don't have A/C, so I just threw it out there. No pressure."

She didn't know which way to turn. As much as the idea appealed to her, her common sense was screaming "no and yes" in unison. She stared at her feet for a few seconds before speaking.

"Can I run it by Matthew and see how he feels? Sometimes things can't change in our routines with such short notice."

"Yeah, think it over. I'll be downstairs."

Over the music, I could hear small squeals of joy. Their home was clean and had everything that they required, but I would imagine that staying here on a night like tonight would be very much like checking into a Hyatt.

"Joe. Joe. We're staying over. Thanks, so much Joe. Thanks for everything. Can I, can I, go back in the pool for a while? Is that okay?"

"No problem buddy, I'll be out in a minute." Beth was standing behind me with a sadness in her eyes. She wanted to say something, but it appeared as though she couldn't find the words.

"Are you joining us in the pool or are you headed up to soak for a while?"

"Oh, that big old tub and I have a date."

"Good. Enjoy. Help yourself to anything that you find. See you in a while." I poured her another glass of wine and her skipped up the stairs.

Matthew and I hung out in the pool gazing at the stars. He showed me his favorite constellations, The Big Dipper, Orion the hunter and Taurus the bull. He told me that one of his best memories was Beth taking him to Griffith's Observatory to star gaze. He talked and talked and talked, and I listened to every word.

I'm not sure where the night went, but at some point, Beth appeared from the cool comfort of the house to tell us that she was heading to bed. I agreed that my time was also up and jumped out of the pool.

As we dried ourselves off, I was drawn to Beth like a bug drawn to the blue light of a bug zapper. She stood there with her long blonde hair tied back in a ponytail, wearing a long white robe and she looked absolutely beautiful.

When Matthew had discarded his towel, we gave each other the elbow handshake, shoulder bump hug and said our goodnights. Beth moved in for a real hug and said goodnight as well.

The soft cotton of her robe sent tingles up my body. It was soft and smooth, while her body felt firm beneath it. I could feel her breasts pressing into my chest for longer than I should have held her. The smell of her skin and wet hair was intoxicating. I'm not sure what had come over me, but I turned my face to the right. Separating my cheek from hers, I moved to kiss the soft skin of her cheek but missed and kissed her squarely on the lips.

"Beth, sorry. I didn't mean to. I mean I tried to. Oh man. Sorry."

"It's fine. Thank you very much for everything tonight. It was a great day and night for us."

"Well I hope that there will be many more."

I wish that I could say that it was a good night for sleeping but it was the exact opposite. I tossed and turned like a teenager. Visions of Beth in her sundress, in her bikini and in her robe danced around in my head. Every time that I was able to clear those thoughts, the feel of her lips on mine popped into my head.