Fulton Springs

Story Info
I meet my future on my return to Fulton Springs.
7.3k words
4.53
12.4k
7
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

This wasn't the town I left behind me ten years ago. I didn't recognise it as Fulton Springs even though the welcoming sign on the road leading into town told me that it was. The town I left was neat and tidy, quiet, and boring, the sort of place that those people not out for an exciting life would choose to live.

While I didn't recognise Fulton Springs, I'm also sure that it would not recognise the 'me' that left seeking fame and fortune. The fame and fortune I found and it was difficult to drag myself away from that to return home.

My reason for this visit was to attend my mother's funeral. I hadn't returned for my father's because the was the other reason that I'd left. My attachment to him was not strong enough to drag me back.

Ten years ago there were only three or four hotels to choose from, now there at least a dozen. Even Fulton House was hardly recognisable, its plain neo-Georgian facade replaced by a pseudo-Tuscan facade, not my style at all, but in keeping with much of the new street-scape.

I pulled into the forecourt and passed my keys to the parking attendant. Taking my one carry bag from the boot, I walked inside to the reception counter.

"Good morning Sir, do you have a reservation?" She was polite and to my eyes attractive, but a tad too young for me.

"My name is Edward Fulton." I handed her my Drivers Licence to verify that I was who I said I was.

"Fulton, any relation to . .?"

"Yes, I'm here for my mother's funeral."

"Can you bear with me for just a second, I have been given instructions to contact our Manager when you check-in. "Miss Corbet, It's Trudie at reception. Mr Fulton has just arrived." She turned back to me. "She'll be right with you, you can take a seat over there," pointing to a comfortable looking sofa, "Would you like a coffee or something, a drink, we have some very nice wines if you prefer."

"No, I'm fine thank you." I sat and looked around me at the generic hotel decor of the place.

"It's crappy, isn't it? Ted Fulton, how the fuck are you? Long time, no see."

I looked at the woman approaching.

"Jenny Corbet, how are you. You're looking well, not a day older than when I left."

"The bullshit still flows easily from that mouth of yours, doesn't it?"

"My feeble attempt at politeness is met with the usual sarcasm. By the way, how's what's-his-name, you know, the muscle-bound oaf you chose instead of me?"

"There was no real choice, was there? It was either the geek who developed a stutter every time I spoke to him or the guy that my father saw as a commercial opportunity and 'encouraged' me to marry. I regretted, each and every day of my marriage but I didn't have the strength to stand up to my father."

"Getting back to my question, how is he?"

"How the hell should I know? The last time I spoke to him was to tell him to fuck off, that was after I found that he'd been shagging Betsy Foreman and I threatened to divorce him. I do know how he is, I'll explain later."

I looked around us and we were alone, except for Trudie who was smiling at the by-play that was happening between me and Jenny. "That's a match made in heaven, he's dumb enough to fall for her obvious charms that match her intelligence, double F if I remember, and she's stupid enough to think that a big dick was all that is necessary."

"Look, it's not a good look, the two of us talking of old times in public..."

"Not that there's any public here just now." Trudie was smiling at us while pretending to concentrate on something important.

"As I was saying before I was rudely interrupted, I will take you to your room and we can resume our discussion. The mini bar is on the house."

"Lead on."

She led me upstairs to the Presidential Suite. Now, this I could like.

"I noticed that you didn't come back for our fathers' funerals."

"Didn't think it necessary. Mum understood that the only reason for me to attend was to make sure that he was dead. She told me he was and I believed her, although the circumstances of his demise didn't rouse my curiosity. How did they die by the way?"

"They had been on one of their usual nights out and were driving home. According to the police, it was a case of too fast, too drunk I felt sorry for the two girls that were with them. They may have been working girls but they had their whole lives ahead of them."

"When you think bout it, I'm glad that we didn't get married, can you imagine going through your life hating each other's fathers-in-law?"

"It doesn't bear thinking about."

"Is it me or are we circling around the inevitable. I fancy you something fierce, as always, don't laugh, and, if I'm lucky, you're feeling the same way."

"I've always believed that we make our own luck, do you want to make me?" What a segue.

I walked over to her and took her in my arms, our lips collided and were locked together for hours, not really but, me not being a good judge of time when distracted, as I was now, I could not tell with any certainty, how long the kiss lasted. All that I knew was, by the time we unlocked our lips, we were on the bed working toward what turned out to be some very satisfactory sex, or should I say love-making.

"Do you realise that I have just lived the dream I had all of those years ago, of making love to you?" I asked.

"And you have answered a question that I had asked myself many times during my pseudo-marriage, surely sex is better than this? The answer, I now know is, it sure as hell is. And now I must love you and leave you, I have work to do, I have to keep this thriving business going."

"Will you have dinner with me? I have to talk to the funeral directors about the arrangements for the funeral."

"I'd love that. Meet me in reception at 7:00." Suddenly she sounded very businesslike.

"Your mother left us a list of music she wanted for her funeral and even supplied DVDs that we'll play on our large screen TV." I was talking to Rev Thomas, the officiating clergy. "She had a few photos that we can show as well, not surprisingly there were none involving your father. She has requested a formal church service and, while she hasn't demanded a eulogy, I assume that you wish to deliver one."

"Yes, I have written one and allowing for a couple of pauses to gather myself, it should take about ten minutes if that fits in with your plans.

"It's up to us to fit in with the wishes of the family."

"Thank you for that."

"We do have one unusual request. Your mother and Jenny Corbet were as thick as thieves over the past few years since her father and yours met their untimely deaths. It wasn't a case of them consoling each other on their losses, more of a celebration of freedom. Is it okay with you if we slot Jenny in to talk of their memories?"

"Sure, that's fine by me."

"I understand that you want to say a few words at the funeral." We had just been seated in the best restaurant in town under the quizzical gaze of the staff.

"Yes, I hope that I'm not being too presumptuous."

"Not at all, you probably know her better than I do."

"And whose fault was that? She often spoke of how seldom you spoke."

"Yeah, well, I was busy making my millions."

"Too busy to think of the one person that made your early life bearable?"

"Don't rub it in." She had touched on the thoughts that I had been having with myself over the past several years, thoughts of not coming to see her after my father had died. She understood my not wanting to go to his funeral, I could have made a greater effort to keep in touch with her.

"Let's not get bogged down in sadness tonight, we can save that for tomorrow, let's eat." She signalled the waiter that we were ready to order.

There were extended periods of silence during the meal when we were both deep in thought. These silence did not intrude into our enjoyment of what was an excellent meal.

"By the way," Jenny said as we walked into my suite. "That door over there is a connecting door. It is usually locked but for the duration of your stay it will not be, that is if you're interested."

"Why don't you leave it locked and stay here with me?"

"What would the staff think if my bed is not slept in?"

"Do you really care? If it bothers you that much we could alternate between suites."

"What the fuck. Locked it will stay."

"Which side will you be on?"

"This side, stupid. Time's a-wasting." She said as she began to undress on her way to our bed.

It was sometime early in the morning when I was woken by her whispering in my ear. She blew in it first to get my attention. "Darling,"

"What time is it?"

"The right time. I've been laying here thinking what a fucking idiot I've been."

"How so?"

"I should have pissed superstud off the first time I heard about him spreading it around."

"How soon after you got married did that happen?"

"A week. I would have thought that he'd keep it in his pants a little longer than that. When I told my father all he said was to forget it. Do you know what my father said when I told him? He said what do you expect, the man was the biggest stud on the football team and it would take a better girl than me to keep him in line. I shouldn't have been surprised, given my father's track record."

"You could have called me and I'd have come running."

"And have him beat the crap out of you, no I couldn't do that. On the bright side, you're here now, we're awake so what are we going to do about it?"

For the first time, I realised just how difficult it was to get back to sleep after the adrenaline rush of lovemaking. I had only just dropped off to sleep when she woke me.

"I have to get going, we have all of these guests in town for some important funeral. When we began to put this together we had cousins coming out of the woodwork, people that we hadn't seen for years, there must be at least a hundred of them in this hotel alone, the overflow we have had to spread around. This hotel is footing the bill for all of them."

"You shouldn't be paying for this, let me cover this, after all, she was my mother."

"No, I promised her that I would cover it."

"There is only one way that I'll allow you to contribute."

"Oh yes, and what would that be?"

"If you were my husband. . . . "

"Hold that thought until after the funeral, you might just have a good idea there."

"I wouldn't get too excited, we have a lot of things to sort before that decision is made. Now, I have to get out of this bed and get to work."

"Can I help?"

"What can you do?"

"Whatever it takes."

"I'll hold you to that. I have to warn you, I'm something of a slavedriver."

"I'll take that chance."

If I may say, we made a pretty good team Jenny and I. The kitchen staff were told not to take prisoners and to treat me just like any new employee. I am now a proficient toast toaster and coffee maker, and when the dishes began to come back into the kitchen I earned my dishwashing machine licence.

"I've spoken to the kitchen staff, if you want the job you can come back tomorrow."

"I just might do that. Now we need to think about the funeral.

My first surprise was how fabulous she looked in her black outfit, she looked both funereal and sophisticated at the same time. "Wow." I couldn't think of anything else to say.

"Thank you for that. You scrub up pretty well yourself. We'd better go."

It was a short drive to the church that Mother had attended all her life. Rev Thomas met us and we discussed the finer points of the service. "Your mother didn't want any hymns, the music she chose was her favourite pieces and I was fine with that. She said that she wasn't dying, just stepping out of her earthly body, so because she wasn't sad why should we be?"

"That sounds like her" Jenny said.

The church began to fill. Jenny and I took our seats in the front row, this wasn't lost on the rest of the family, some of whom I didn't recognise.

The coffin on its stand was set across in front of the lectern. Reverend Thomas stood. "Ladies and gentlemen, we are gathered here not to mourn Judy Fulton but to celebrate her life. Would you take this time to offer up your private prayers for her life.," There was a pause while the people bowed in private thoughts and soft music wafted over us all. "Lord, we give thanks that you have allowed us to know and love Judy Fulton. She has been an active member of this church family for many years, I have known her on a personal level since I came to this church three years ago, and have been in awe of the quiet strength with which she moved through this life. She told me some of her life story and I could have forgiven her for feeling that she had been dealt a bad hand if she had seen it that way. She told me that every time harsh things were thrown at her she saw it as a learning opportunity and that her coping mechanism was being prepared for even harder times. She blossomed following her husband's death, it was as if a heavy weight had been lifted from her shoulder."

"Her first musical request and we have it on the screen here, is a version of the 'Flower Duet' from Lakme. She chose this version because, she said that the two singers were not competing but harmonising, and they seemed to be having a good time recording it."

The screen burst into life and I had to admit that she was right.

When it had finished Reverend Thomas announced that it was my turn. "Ted Fulton will bring you his memories of his younger life before he left to seek his fortune."

"My memories of my mother were not always good but it was not the fault of either of us. When I was very young I couldn't understand why my mother and father never seemed happy. My father was seldom home, I was told that he was working, it seemed to me that, when he was home, he had little time for me and even less time for my mother. It wasn't until later in life that I understood my parents' personal dynamic. They lived essentially separate lives under the same roof. That was fine for my mother and me. When we were together there was a connection that was satisfying to a developing me. We discussed a wide range of topics that, to me seemed random but which, later in life I realised, were important to my development. It was she that gave me the motivation to better myself and achieve something for myself, it was she that taught me that the world did not revolve around me and that I not only needed the people around me but that they needed me.

I have a confession to make. I lost sight of that when my business life took centre stage, and I lost sight of who it was that should have been the most important person in my life. Don't get me wrong, we did speak regularly but I couldn't bring myself to come back here while my father was still in the picture. I couldn't face him when he hurt my mother, which was often, I didn't trust myself not to do something that I would regret. When he died, I chose not to return for his funeral, she understood that. Because of business commitments, I didn't come back after he died, she understood that. That was one decision that I regretted but it's not too late.

Having said that, my memories of my mother were of a woman who was both strong and compassionate. She was not selfish, she was funny when she sensed that I needed for her to be. She was supportive of me and whatever I chose to do. She was not judgemental towards anyone, especially not my father and I couldn't understand that until after I had left home. She was non-judgemental to protect me from my father and, by doing that, she lessened the impact he had on my life. I did not think to say this to her during her life and I don't think that it's too late to say it now, she is here with us all in spirit. Mum, thank you so much and I love you."

I sat down and her next musical selection was announced, something of a surprise. The screen burst into life for John Farnham and Lisa Edwards singing 'Angels'. The intro was funny, I understood that, and the lyrics, brought to life by the singers, were both powerful and appropriate.

It was now Jenny's turn to address the crowd.

"Judy was a second mother to me. She supported my mother when my father got too much. She supported me when my father got too much for me. It was she that stood up to my father when he tried to have sex with me. His balls regretted that decision let me tell you," there was a shocked sound from the mourners, "and he never tried it again, especially after she told him that she'd take a knife to them if he ever tried again.

She didn't have to help me when took over the running of the hotel after my father died. It was she that convinced me that I could make a go it when it had been run down by my father's lack of interest. Her support went beyond her financial contributions in the early days when I need to renovate. I repayed her loan even after she told me I didn't have to, she told me that when she died the loan would die with her.

Apart from all of that, it was her friendship that was so important to me at that time, especially after my mother left my father, and it remained right up to her last few months when her health began to deteriorate. She had given me the guidance that a mother would give her daughter and for that I am thankful. I did my best to return the favour in those trying times, I hope that I succeeded. I am not exaggerating when I say that Judy Fulton was the most amazing person, and it was even more amazing that she regarded me as a special friend. Good-bye second mother, I love you." Jenny shed a tear or two as she sat down beside me. I took her hand in mine and squeezed it. I kissed her, it was a polite peck, nothing for the other mourners to get excited about. Reverend Thomas smiled at the gesture, what did she know?

"The final music peace has become something of a favourite at times like this, you all know it, 'It's Time to Say Good-bye', but her favourite version is not the Andrea Bocelli, Sarah Brightman version, but one by a promising young opera singer, Laura Bretan." Rev Thomas was issuing directions to the mourners. "The coffin will be wheeled to the rear of the hearse and I would ask you to follow it so that you may say your final good-byes and take some of the petals that the attendants have for you and toss them over the coffin. Judy asked that you do this because, she told me that, she had spent her life being organised and her final moments in this body should be as disorganised as possible. The funeral directors have a vacuum cleaner to suck them up afterwards. Judy will be taken to the crematorium for a private cremation. You are asked, if you wish, to make your way back to the hotel for refreshments and those that so wish, the urn with her ashes will be set into a niche cut in the wall of the hotel where she can keep an eye on things and maybe even see a coming together of the Fulton and Corbet clans. You're under no pressure Ted, but she did express to me that she thought that you and Jenny are well suited."

It took at least five repetitions of the song before the back door of the hearse was closed and it left.

"Your mother wanted me to put you on the spot," Rev Thomas said as we walked back into the church, "She said that if we left it up to you and Jenny it would never happen. I hope you don't mind."

"Would you believe that discussions on that topic have already begun, it's early days but I think, at least I hope, that they will lead to a satisfactory conclusion." I told her.

"That's something that's going to have to change," Jenny looked at me, "You sound like some old and stuffy business type and that's the last thing that I want. You remind me too much of my father. Let's tell it like it is, we have feelings for each other, you don't need to know how strong they are or how far we've got with them, and they are a work in progress."

"I'm pleased for you, both of you."

There was a ceremony of sorts when the funeral directors delivered the urn for us to set in its place in the wall of the hotel, then it was down to future planning.

12