Galley Slaves on The Queen's Yacht

Story Info
Galley slaves have a tough life.
3k words
3.85
6.5k
5
0
Story does not have any tags
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

[Story excerpt: All the girls were told to lose their white smock uniforms and every other stitch of clothing. Most of them expected that was going to happen.]

Male galley slaves had a very harsh life -- they're naked and chained to their bench all the time with scant shelter from the elements. That's where they have to eat and try to sleep, and do all other bodily functions. They pump sea water on deck once a day and give it a good scrubbing. But even so it was a messy place. The men were from the bottom of society -- surplus slaves, criminals, serious debtors, and prisoners from prior wars.

Service on the queen's yacht was very different. It was a beautiful, slim vessel. Young women from well-to-do families competed hard for each 2-year slot on the crew. Only the most energetic, smart and beautiful were selected. The duties were mostly ceremonial -- they'd row occasionally, typically for a short cruise in the harbor on a warm, calm afternoon or evening. The rest of their time was spent ashore, filled with classes, meals, study, and a busy social schedule. The lucky girls could make social contacts at court that could pay off for the rest of their lives.

War came in 431 BC and the queen donated her yacht to the navy. The queen assembled the crew on the boat and told them they could depart. But she said they could also stay and serve and asked them to consider it. Most decided to stay.

That afternoon professional navy officers came on board and life changed instantly. All the girls were told to lose their white smock uniforms and every other stitch of clothing. Most of them expected that was going to happen. Some did it in a matter-of-fact way, as if it was no big deal. Others had a big smile, from being nervous or excited. A few were shocked. They had no idea they'd have to serve naked. But at that point there was no choice. They had to reluctantly do what all the others were doing and try to make the best of it.

Then chains were installed on both sides of the boat under the benches. All the women were told to lock one ankle into a cuff that was attached to the chain. Some looked scared and did it only reluctantly. Others giggled and cheerfully locked themselves in place.

Metal collars and wrist cuffs came next. When slaves were rowing their wrists would be free. The ship would also be in port from time to time -- sometimes for hours, days or weeks. While in port it was common lock the wrists of the rowers behind their back for extra security as often as possible. The cook and her assistants would help them take their food and water.

Finally the overseer came on board. With a big, hearty bellow he told them how much he loved his job. He'd use the bare young women as target practice for his whip -- especially whichever girls seemed to thinking about being less motivated that day. With even more gusto he told them how much he enjoyed having his dick sucked, and he expected enthusiastic compliance.

Some found this amusing. Others looked concerned. Many of the girls had a sheltered upbringing and it was possible some of them had never been with a man. The girls knew he wasn't bluffing when he selected one of them right away, put her on her knees, and obviously had a great time while she sucked and licked him to orgasm and took it all in like she was told.

After he was satisfied he said to all of them, loud and clear, "Don't worry -- you'll all get lots of chances! And when it's your turn you better do fantastic. If you don't I'll take out my anger on every one of you. So think about how you want to do a great job. If you don't then everyone on this ship will know. I'll make every person suffer and they'll all hate you thoroughly."

The latest rumors seemed to say the war was a big one and might go on a long time. They all knew they'd be released only when there was peace, or at their death. It was very possible, and maybe even likely, they would never be released for the rest of their lives. The girls had to stay silent most of the time. During the rare times when they were allowed to talk they tried to help each other stay upbeat. The shared hardships made them closer.

* * * *

The outgoing commander, Captain Kleio, had a good transition with the new commander, Captain Agis.

They'd crossed paths over the years and had many mutual friends.

He was a newly promoted captain. He had hoped to take command of one of the city's big war galleys.

But he accepted his unusual new command with good cheer. He had a quick, military mind. He realized at once that the slim, graceful yacht was well-suited for unconventional missions like carrying messages, scouting, and moving diplomats. By doing these jobs well he could help the big warships get into the fight at the best time and place and manner. The yacht would do no more quiet harbor cruises on warm afternoons -- stormy, cold dark nights would be the best time to slip in and out of a harbor and get to the open sea without being spotted by an enemy.

On their last evening together Captain Klieo had strong feelings. She had built up a strong connection during her years in command. She was sad to leave. She thought about all the excitement in store for the vessel and the crew. Everyone on board was in for enormous dangers and hardships and thrilling adventures.

"This boat means a lot to me. I'm sorry to leave," she told Agis. "Have you ever considered having a woman for an overseer?" she asked.

Slave management was critical on every Navy vessel. Agis considered the idea seriously. "I'm not sure a woman could be harsh enough to do a good job," he said.

Kleio smiled to herself when she heard that. "Good gods -- men can be so naïve about women," she thought, shaking her head. She could imagine herself as the overseer. She could see herself strolling up and down the ship between the rowers while they were tugging at their oars. She'd swing her whip with cruel precision onto their bare skin to make them yelp with pain and keep them working hard --- and to remind each girl how exposed and vulnerable she is all the time. She could taunt the slaves too, mocking them for being naked and low status, with no way to get any relief. With the right jeering words and the right tone of voice she could sting the girls worse than with the whip. It was a fun little fantasy. She knew she could do it well.

"Oh... I think a woman could be tough enough," she told Agis with a sweet smile.

He nodded soberly. "Well maybe it's something I'll try in the future," he said. "Lars and I have worked together for many years. I think I'll stick with him as my overseer for now."

He paused for a moment. He pointed out to her that there was one rowing seat that was still empty. "I'd like to have all the seats filled by the time we're operational at midnight," he told her.

"Yeah," she said. "If I can't serve on this ship maybe I can help you in other ways. I can talk with some leading families. Maybe I can find a patriotic or adventurous girl who'll volunteer. Maybe there's a father who has a daughter or slave girl to donate. But it might take a while to find someone."

"Maybe you'd like to take that seat," he said.

Kleio laughed nervously at his joke. But deep down it made her uncomfortable and she didn't find it very funny.

"Okay, if you don't want it I understand," he said.

"Wait -- you really mean that?" she asked seriously.

"I need someone," he said in the clipped, professional tones of a seasoned officer. "You've rowed here before."

"Yes -- many years ago!" she said. "Not at night. Not in wartime."

He shrugged. "If you want the spot you can have it. If you don't, I understand."

Twilight was falling fast -- the evening was cloudy, dark and cool. The night would be chilly. She looked around at the rowers sitting naked and silent on their benches, each one with their arms fastened behind her. They're in for a long and totally miserable night, she thought. Just thinking about it make her shiver and pull her own cloak a bit tighter around her body.

"You should have asked me on a warm afternoon," she told Agis. "Then it would be easier to say 'yes.'"

"I need to know," he said. "Do I have to find someone else?"

Kleio thought about the dining room at her father's house. There'd be a fire, and servants waiting with her dinner. She thought about her fiancé, also an officer in the navy, and their plans for the future.

She thought about the girls at their rowing stations. She had no illusions about what they were in for -- great danger, exhausting work, living with little protection from the elements and no protection from the whip and the rod of the overseer, and nothing to look forward to in the future except more of the same. She knew that the smart thing to do was to wave goodbye to the rowers, walk away from the ship, and leave them to their fate. Another part of her felt it was a strange, scary yet darkly sexy and exciting idea to stay and take on those hardships herself.

She thought about the dangers and excitement the ship was sure to face on its missions. Her sense of adventure told her it would be a thrill to be a part of it all.

"Ugh!" she blurted out, as all her frustration and mixed feelings came to a boil.

Then, "Yes, I'll do it," she said with huge reluctance.

Agis nodded. He asked for the key-master to open the lock at the vacant rowing position.

Kleio paced nervously. She realized these might be her last few minutes of freedom, maybe for the rest of her life.

It turned out the key-master was not on board -- he had gone ashore for dinner. Agis sent a messenger to find him.

He told Kleio she could wait in the captain's cabin where she'd be more comfortable, out of the evening breeze.

She nodded. "Could I have a cup of tea?" she asked, feeling very nervous and scared about everything that was ahead for her. "It would mean a lot to me."

"Of course," he said. He told the ship's cook to bring her tea.

She waited quietly in the cabin where she had spent a lot of time in the past. A candle gave a bit of light. The cabin was tiny but cozy, with a bunk, a chair and a very small desk. When the tea arrived Kleio sipped it slowly. She looked around the cabin and thought about how it belonged to Agis now -- it would be a private place where he could read and write, and stretch out for rest when he had the time. She tried not to think too much about what was ahead for her, afraid she'd change her mind if she gave that topic too much thought.

The key-master got back to the ship in about an hour, carrying a lantern. A ring of keys jingled on his belt.

Agis went to the cabin door. He knocked gently and told Kleio they were ready for her.

The knock on the door was a frightful sound to her. Her heart skipped a beat. She stood up. She took a moment to breathe deep, smooth her garments with her hands and build up her courage. "I can't believe I'm doing this," she thought. Then she opened the door to the cabin and let Agis lead her out on deck.

Twilight was over by then -- the night was cloudy, breezy and dark except for the weak, flickering flame of the lantern. The night air smelled damp -- a hint that rain was on the way.

The other rowing girls were shocked to see their former captain making her way toward the empty seat near the bow. They held her in awe and didn't know what to say. For a few minutes they forgot their discomforts and worries. They all watched intently to see what was going on.

The key-master opened the empty ankle cuff. He stood back and looked at Kleio.

Kleio knew all eyes were on her. She wanted to act brave. She instinctively hugged herself for warmth when she thought about what she was about to do. Then she slipped off her cloak and handed it to Agis -- he said he'd get it to her father with a note of explanation.

Her heart was beating fast as she made herself take off all the rest of her clothing and her sandals. When she was completely bare she took a few more breaths to build her courage and sat down on the hard, cool bench. She bent over and locked the metal cuff on her ankle without being told. She lifted her chin while the key-master put a collar on her. Then she held out her arms one at a time while he found the wrist cuffs that fit her best and attached them to her.

Agis was pleased. "We might leave the dock soon -- maybe tomorrow morning. Row hard and you'll quickly be warm -- you'll see," he said.

"The captain of a ship shouldn't speak to a galley slave," she said, looking straight ahead. "And galley slaves shouldn't know when the ship will sail. It's bad for discipline."

"Okay. You're right," he said. "We'll talk again when the war is over. I'll release you myself."

"If you don't dispose of me before then," she said to him. She knew what happened to a galley slave who was too ill or injured to pull an oar with gusto. It was common to flog that one almost to death, then toss the slave overboard in the deep ocean. This was a way to tell the other slaves to stay focused and motivated.

"I'm sure you'll give us no reason to be harsh with you," he said, patting his hand on her shoulder. He left to attend to other business and to be with his wife on shore. His words were not reassuring to Kleio. She expected little kindness from him in the future. She knew that being soft on slaves was a grave offense. A captain who was accused of that would quickly be relieved of command and put on trial. If he was found guilty he'd be sentenced to a flogging and life as a galley slave himself. Kleio had a kind opinion of Agis and didn't want him to meet that fate.

Kleio tested her ankle cuff. She could only move her foot a few inches in any direction.

The reality of her situation started to hit her more and more. She could feel the hard wooden seat on her bare bum. She held her arms across her stomach as if to hold in as much body heat as she could. She could feel the cool night breeze on her back and her face and her bare breasts. She thought about friends and family in warm, snug homes.

"Good gods," she thought. "What have I done?" She rocked herself slowly, shivered, and thought about the future. The war could last many years. She knew this could be her whole life from now on. It was quite likely she'd never be released except for death. She promised herself she'd try not look back on her decision with too much regret, and try not look ahead with hope of being free again. She'd have to make the best of her current life, and enjoy the good parts as well as she could.

The key-master approached her with a small padlock in his hand. "Just one more for you, child," he said, using a slang term that was common for slaves of any age. The key-master had a cheerful attitude -- he seemed to enjoy his work.

Kleio knew what he meant. She was dreading this part of the process. She felt like she was about to burst out crying. But she didn't want to start her new life with a bad attitude. And she didn't want to set a bad example for the other girls. So she took some breaths, tried very hard to calm herself and smile, and she put her arms together behind her back.

The keymaster smiled and nodded at this. She was a beautiful young woman and it was fun to see her sweet, compliant attitude. He took his time opening the small lock in his hand while she waited patiently with her arms behind her back. Then he stepped behind her and took a moment to slip the lock into the little rings attached to each of her wrist cuffs, locking her arms together behind her back.

When he was done he stepped back to admire her beauty.

Kleio tested the feeling of the cuffs that locked her arms behind her back. Trying to keep a good attitude she made a big effort to smile to him, nod and say, "Thank you."

The key master nodded. Then he stepped away, leaving the whole ship and all the rowers in darkness for the night. A light drizzle started to fall.

In the end the war was much bigger, more complex and more destructive than anyone expected. It went on for 27 years.