Gary the Obscure

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"Well that's something to think about," Philippa said. "And thank you. For one so young you give great advice and obvious have a keen eye. Let me see your work."

"Oh you won't be interested. Computer art won't be your thing and..."

"I'll scream."

"Oh don't do that otherwise your neighbors will think you are coming again."

He returned with his laptop and Philippa spend twenty-minutes absolutely absorbed.

Gary returned with fresh coffee and Philippa put his laptop aside and kissed him.

"I think with experience you'll be hailed as a genius.

"Whoa," he said. "Don't go overboard."

"Would you get a copy of 'Sunset' printed off as an A3 portrait size for me to possess and hang as a reminder of your visit."

It was a very close up of a woman's face with a sunset reflected across her dark sunglasses and yet the shadowy shapes and tones of her eyes were visible under the weak colors of the sunset.

"Certainly we can do that tomorrow and I request an A3 packed in a tube of 'Daffy and Mate' landing on that pond for my personal possession and a reminder of what a great fuck you were."

Turning crimson, Philippa said certainly and added, "I shall never forget this day. I feel as if I've become a woman."

For his part, Gary would long remember that departure scene at the airport, Philippa wailing with her head buried against her mom's shoulder.

"Exactly what have you been doing to that poor darling, she'd beside herself in grief?"

Gary grinned at his mom and said he probably smiled at her and for that cheeky comment got whacked on the head with her passport and ticket folder.

On the aircraft, Gary sat between his mother at the window seat and a guy called Ted from Detroit.

They chatted as a group and when his mom fell asleep after dinner plus two Martinis and two red wines, Gary and Ted talked.

"What kind of business are you in son?"

"I'm newly graduated with a degree in computer graphics."

"Oh really? And what field will you enter?"

"Advertising would give me a great start."

"Well I have business contacts in advertising. If you come to Duxford I could get you some interviews, I'm sure."

"Um the weather..."

"Oh then you should head to Cadbolt on the West Coast, where I grew up. It's a city that has revitalized in the last twenty years and had plenty of ad agencies and big clients."

During the night Gary thought about that and after landing at their home airport and driving home he told his mom about Ted's suggestion.

"Darling find something closer to home. I want you near me."

"I'll think I'll go to Cadbolt."

"Well please get a job first."

"I'll just go."

Annie sighed, knowing from experience over the years when Mr Stubborn had a mindset like this there was not much chance of influencing him.

CHAPTER 3

Gary, aged 23, arrived in Cadbolt, population 187,900 to become Gary the Obscure again because to his knowledge he didn't know anyone in the city and outlying areas and knew none of them would know him.

However, he had a letter of introduction from his professor to Leo Finch, head of a small advertising company called Finch and Finch Advertising.

Leo was an elderly guy with a florid face and bushy mustache. He also possessed an over-size belly and possibly was not pregnant, Gary thought. But he seemed a nice guy and greeted Gary warmly and yes, he remembered Steve (Professor Steve Childs) who'd worked for him during his years at university working towards his PhD.

"Steve's folk still live here and he visits from time to time."

Gary said yes as if that was not new information.

"So what could you do for us by way of design?"

"Well potentially anything you require. On digital images I can change anything... clothes, facial features."

"Our people using Photoshop do that."

Gary said, "I can add a talking dog to digital recordings to in interact with the person filmed for that recording and giving his or her parts of the dialogue between person or dog, I can make two cars appear quite realistic talking to one another or have two burgers boasting to one another about their contents..."

"Ah Gary, now you're talking. That's something we don't have. Do you have a demo tape to show me?"

Gary lifted up his laptop, booted it and started the film clip of examples of his work, working at completing projects and playing the filming of reactions to his work."

Leo took Gary to lunch where they talked about salary and contract conditions and they returned to Leo's office where he had his PA amend the standard contract and he and Gary signed the completed document.

"Come and meet my business partner Terry, who is my son."

They went into the office of a heavily overweight guy.

"Hi Terry, meet our new computer graphics guy Gary Gunn."

Terry had been about to shake Gary's hand with withdrew his hand abruptly and said, "We don't need a computer graphics employee. Our clients are satisfied with what we have now."

"And I'm managing partner and I say we need to move with the times Terry so just get used to it. Gary has signed on and I want you to put him to work and to ensure he's made to feel welcome here."

"Whatever you say dad," Terry scowled.

Gary left the office feeling very much unwelcomed.

He reported for work next morning and Terry said, "Find an empty desk; it's yours."

"I'll require a high-powered computer with two monitors, one with split-screen capacity and appropriate software and support processing equipment."

Terry grinned evilly and said, "Go and ask dad for that shopping list and see where that gets you."

Gary couldn't believe it. What a fucking outfit.

Leo's door was closed. Gary knocked and something told him to wait.

Half a minute later Leo's PA came out, still smoothing down her dress and avoiding looking at Gary.

Christ what a fucking outfit. Gary thought it was time to get aggressive.

"I need a swag of new equipment to get my production underway and Terry said go and see his tight ass father, that I wouldn't get anything."

Gary thought he heard the sound of teeth grinding.

"Is that so," Leo snorted. "That fat jerk is only thinking about his profit-share. I'm backing you to more than pay for your establishment costs and upkeep. Oh and also he tries to drink every beer I have in the house when he calls his mother and me."

Gary kept his mouth buttoned.

"Ah our new employee is very discreet. Well I suppose your equipment will come from a computer supply firm?"

"Yes and if they don't stock it they'll order it in. I'm warning you that it will be costly..."

"I'll make sure that jerk opens the account in my presence. I'll enjoy watching his face."

Leo called the computer supply firm and spoke to the owner as if he was a fishing pal although fishing wasn't mentioned.

"Evan is expecting you and you heard me say to charge up anything you want. Evan's a good guy. We've been fishing together since we were kids."

Evan slapped Gary on the back as he said goodbye to Gary at the store exit and said everything would be delivered to his desk before noon.

Gary returned to the office, only a short distance away, and introduced himself to the other eighteen employees in the creative department.

"What will you do here Gary?" asked the senior creative director Jill Bourne.

"Work principally for you I guess. I'm qualified in computer graphics."

"And motion graphics?"

"Yes."

"Jesus," she said. "We'll all have to upscale our thinking. Finch and Finch are at last moving into the 21st Century."

An hour later Terry, director of advertising, came down and said loudly to Gary, "You are newly employed here and yet you're not working."

"My equipment arrives before noon... oh here come a couple of guys with the start of it."

"The start of it?" Terry gaped, looking at the two guys steadying boxes on a four-wheel freight trolley.

"Relax Terry, your dad authorized it all."

Terry's face turned purple.

Gary saw Leo come out of his office grinning.

"How much will all this expensive stuff cost?"

"Not too much I should think. Evan Tapper has given your father a 20% discount."

"But how much?" Terry roared.

One of the delivery guys said, "Exactly $28,755. Here's the invoice."

"This is robbery, fucking robbery. It's half my money," Terry yelled.

"Terry please behave and don't use such disgusting language in front of our sensitive female employees," his father said sternly.

"Yes and I'm sensitive to foul language like that Mr Finch," Gary said. "Is it a firing offence?"

Leo had to wait for a few moments to fight rising mirth.

He said, "Well in this case I have satisfied the situation with a reprimand. Apologize to everyone Terry."

"Um everyone, I apologize for losing it and being foul-mouthed."

Gary said, "Speaking on behalf of everyone, we accept your apology Terry."

Terry pushed out his chest and moved towards Gary who moved to meet him.

"Terry your desk phone is ringing," Leo called.

Terry turned and rumbled to his office.

"Back to work everyone," Leo said. "It's what you're paid to do."

"I can't fucking believe it," Jill whispered loud enough for a number of people nearby to hear. "We have someone who's not afraid of Terry the bully."

"Watch your language Jill otherwise I'll become upset," Gary said, and everyone within hearing laughed.

When Gary had all of his equipment assembled, operating and tested, Jill went to him and said, "We have a client who advertises regularly on local TV stations who had commissioned us to design a universal attention-grabber that can be used in all types of advertising, mostly static but some motion."

"Are you saying a slogan with an additional tag-line?"

"I could be."

"Don't you have other people skilled at doing that?"

She sighed and said several presentations had been rejected. The client was looking for simplicity.

"Okay then give me the brief."

Jill said in surprise, "Don't you want to talk about it with me, an art director and a copywriter?"

"No. You would have arranged that on other occasions. Let me try cold in the hope I produce new thinking."

The client Draper Dog Foods produced chicken flavored dog bites (not to be called biscuits to distinguish the product from the output of competitors, stated a notation).

Gary stood watching Jill adjusting one of the straps holding up a stocking.

She looked up and almost jumped out of her chair when she saw him standing beside her.

"Jesus Gary, can't a girl have privacy?"

"Well for an older girl you have good thighs."

Jill looked around wildly but saw no one appeared to be listening to them.

"Please cough discreetly should this occasion arise again Gary."

"Well since you are so shy yes I could manage that unnecessary action. I only saw you thigh, not your pussy Jill."

"Gary," she wheezed. "What do you want?"

"I've finished."

"You can't be," she sighed and took from him what she thought would be a rough sketch but it was a printout of finished work.

"Omigod," she said, looking at a cartoon-type black and white puppy standing on his head and saying, 'I'm Moby and Energize eating Draper Bites twice daily'.

"Oh how cute. I love it but doubt the client will."

Gary handed the animated version on disk and Jill replayed it three times and smiled.

"Well I'll get them in and..."

"You said nothing has worked thus far with them. Let's pitch to them at their factory where they will feel more comfortable and accept we are really trying."

"No Gary. It's not our policy with smaller advertisers to..."

"Jill break the rule. I need a success to boost Leo's confidence in me."

Tony Draper handed the A3 printout to his wife and remained mute while sweeping back his thinning hair.

"Are you two the founders of this successful company?"

Tony looked at Gary in surprise and said, "Yes as a matter of fact we are."

"And the hard slog is now well in the past judging by the size of the plant... well apart from the ongoing fight for market share and to attain production and sales targets."

"Yes young fellow. Have you been in business?"

"No but I have been educated in business fundamentals. You see if we in advertising are to succeed we have to have some understanding of what you guys do and you pay us money to multiple that outlay many times over."

"Damn right son. That's exactly it. We thought you guys just threw around paper ideas and went out for long and very expensive lunches."

"Yeah well we as an industry project a warped image of ourselves, don't we? You know our thinking is should you adopt the Moby mascot imagine for your company you could get a toymaker produce a run of Moby Draper and market him by enclosing a promo card in Bites boxes offering a Moby for sale with purchasing/payment details on your website."

"Our website is very basic. The designer is now retired."

"Then we'll take a look at it and give you a quote on designing a new persona for you on the Internet that is modern with animation."

"Um how much would that cost?"

"Plenty. But if it gives your clients and especially intending clients the information they need at their fingertips and their react to your advantage, then it's an investment that works exactly the same way as you buying in chicken but of course you are very aware of that."

"What do you think Wendy?"

"I think this guy is on the verge of talking crap like most salesmen but I like what his mind and hands do. This is so cute and I feel it's exactly what we need. Please action it from here Mrs Bourne."

"Certainly Mrs Draper. Please sign this authorization slip. And may I ask about the website..."

"Yes please quote us for a complete makeover. We as a company need to move on."

"Thank you Mrs Draper."

"Oh Tony and Wendy, shove this disk into your computer and sit back and watch something that I believe will give your ads real presence on TV," Gary said to the conservative couple. "Almost everyone loves a cute puppy and I know we can develop Moby to continue to entertain viewers while developing your marketing messages. This is the motion version of that static ad you've just seen. The guys at our office are ecstatic about it and just love him. He'll be a big winner for this company guys."

"You slimy seducer," Jill said in the back of the cab returning to the office, taking Gary's hand and squeezing it. "It's so lovely seeing a very talented person, a novice in advertising, seizing the challenge in both hands and focusing 110% on the clients and believing he's on a golden path to fame and fortune. Fight the cynicism and personal apathy darling and you may well rise above the mass. Mrs Draper was practically ready to anoint your feet. I almost died when you called her Wendy but to my astonishment she appeared to be flattered."

"That was because of the way I said her name Jill. I said it almost breathlessly. Women notice these things."

"I didn't."

"I meant romantically-minded women, not cynical creative directors."

"You are such a darling, I could enjoy strangling you," she said, hiding her smile.

The cabbie looked at them anxiously in his interior mirror.

As they were about to walk into the office, Gary said, "Hey Jill, let me check your stockings.

He fell back and she stopped and held up the back of her skirt a little to show more of the patterned stockings.

"Looking great," he said.

She realized that she'd been duped and cuffed him snapping, "You cheeky shit. How did you do that to me?"

"Oh easy. I simply worked on your vanity."

She sighed and laughed and told him he was like a breath of fresh air in her working life.

"Come to dinner tonight and meet my daughter. She could become interested in you."

"Why won't you husband take kindly to you having sex with me?"

"Christ Gary," she said, shaking her head.

He just loved it. His immediate boss was short on attention and affection in the workplace. Er and probably at home as well. They would become good friends because she accepted his banter. Isobel Bourne was fairly plain but athletic with an engaging personality and that suited Gary just fine. She currently wasn't short on dates but wanted someone to do steady with and told Gary that when he asked her for a date.

"Okay I'll date you regularly in return for sex."

She breathed heavily and said her mom had told her Gary was very direct.

"Well?"

"Yes that suits me although I'm not comfortable saying it. I don't like being with guys who are promiscuous."

"Um what does promiscuous mean?"

She just sighed and raised an eyebrow.

Gary didn't get to touch pussy until the third date, um touch it without her pushing away his hand. And on the fourth date she was jerking him off in the lounge of her family home late at night when she suddenly moved, pulled her panty leg aside and steered him in.

"Condom," he gasped.

"I can't wait, I need it," she cried. "It's been months, I'll have to trust you are clean."

About twenty minutes later Gary blew everything he could deliver hard up her and felt a huge sense of freedom, or whatever it was, that he'd never felt before. That left him half-stunned and grinning.

"What?"

"You're a great fuck Isobel."

She smiled hugely and kissed him sweetly."

They were together for almost a year before another teacher at her school asked her for a date.

She consulted Gary.

"Yeah what we had originally has died a bit and I can't chat to you about kids and teaching them in a meaningful way. This could be a great opportunity for you and so you should move on."

She cried but Gary thought she really was only going through the motions although he acknowledged they had high regard for one another.

At the office the antagonism between Terry and Gary had abated because Terry had to acknowledged that his foe had become one of the highest earners in the office and was directly responsible for a big surge in growth for animation advertising that was sweeping the industry and his team now asked clients as a matter of course did the clients require their websites to be updated and expanded.

Gary's best friend in the office was 44-year old Jill and after Isobel hooked into a fellow teacher she introduced him to the daughter of one of her friends and that worked out very well because when that young woman wasn't available her younger 19-year old sister filled in and she was, well, over-sexed and Gary had also fended their mom off a couple of times and then, feeling his resistance was cracking, he thereafter met the girls always from their home.

Three years after starting with Finch and Finch and receiving his second regional advertising award for best animated advertisement, Gary was headhunted by a recruitment agency representing J Winchell-Marks Inc, the largest advertising agency in the region.

Gary discussed the approach with Leo.

"You've given us great service Gary and whilst I don't really want to lose you, you won't grow in your specialty unless you move on to gain new experiences and face new challenges."

Leo and Jill took Gary out to a farewell lunch and no mention was made of inviting Terry who remained the most unpopular person in the office.

* * *

At J Winchell-Marks, Gary was initially attached to a unit specializing in pitching for new business and because the agency operated in almost all fields of advertising, marketing and events promotion, it was great experience for Gary but his obvious talents came under scrutiny and he was attached to a unit that worked solely in the health industry.

Gary accompanied their unit's account director Karl Boyd to Bayfield Children's Hospital to discuss its plans to raise $7 million in donations to refurbish its Emergency Department. They met the five-person fundraising project team and the convener stated a professional fundraiser would be employed once the promotion was ready to unleash.