Getting It Back

Story Info
She thought her beauty made her special.
6.1k words
4.28
78.5k
126
100
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
COYS
COYS
380 Followers

I would like to thank Bebop3 and sbrooks103x for taking a look at this one and giving me their help and advice. People around this site are very helpful and knowledgeable. For newbies like me, that means a lot.

*****

I COULDN'T IMAGINE what the problem was, but I needed to take care of it that night. My wife Britt, short for Brittney, had been acting strange the last few months. I couldn't put my finger on it. Sometimes everything between us was great. Other times she was aloof and distant. The last few weeks she had been sort of distancing herself from me, and almost condescending at times.

It was a beautiful fall Saturday morning and I was up early with the kids. Britt was still in bed. She's a nurse at a local hospital and she was called in the night before for a surgery. They had other nurses, so I don't understand why they needed her so badly? I asked her, "what's going on, couldn't someone else handle tonight?" But she didn't seem to mind. She said, "I'm happy they think so much of me. I'm honored that they would call me over some of the other nurses." This had been going on a lot lately, so I was getting aggravated. I replied, "The kids have been wondering why you're not around much lately? What should I tell them?" She just rolled her eyes at me and ignored our concerns. She was out the door in minutes. She literally ran out the door to her car. I know she's good at what she does, but don't they have other competent nurses. We were enjoying some family time with the kids.

My name's Tom O'Rourke. Britt and I have been together for eleven years, married for ten of them. We met when I was twenty-seven and she was twenty-eight. She was in her last year of nursing school. We met at a party, hit it off, and were married a year later. Ten years and two kids later we're still going strong, that is, until lately. Our children are Brigette, who is eight, and little Tommy is five years old. It's sort of a standard family. Two children, nice home, new cars, and enough money to enjoy our lives. I couldn't ask for more. But again, something had changed.

I know I'm a decent looking guy. Never had any problems attracting women both in high school or college. I dated a lot and slept with a good share of them. I'm six foot two inches and a very, very fit 190 pounds. I played lots of sports growing up and in high school. You see, my biggest flaw is a terrible temper. My parents knew this and pushed me to play three sports in high school. I played football, basketball and lacrosse. I actually started in all three sports and did very well, especially in basketball where I was an all-state point guard. My parents felt if I played sports, I could release any pent-up anger on the field. They were pretty much correct all thru high school. When I got to college, they had me in boxing which also worked well, although I kept that to myself. I actually had four competitive fights and went three and one with two knock-outs. No one knows any of this and I still go to the boxing gym once in a while to relieve stress.

I say all this because although I'm decent looking my wife Britt is a real superstar. From the age of seventeen till twenty-five she was a fashion model. She worked the runways of New York and Paris, while also having photographs in all the big fashion magazines. She's tall at over five feet nine inches, with auburn hair and a body the envy of every women we know. That's even after having two children. After the modeling she wanted to do something rewarding and went to nursing school. I know she enjoyed the modeling experience, but now she has a family and her job, and that's where her focus is.

I'm was trying to think what I said or did to make Britt look at me differently. She had said things to me that she thinks her job is much more important than mine. At a party recently, I had heard her tell someone that I sold used cars for a living. I guess she had no idea what I do at work. Britt has a good job and it pays very well. But I make more what she does. She doesn't know this because I handle all the money, pay the bills, and even take care of our tax returns. If she was interested at all, I'd tell her. But I don't bring it up because it seems like bragging, and I don't want to seem that kind of person.

I had always known what I wanted to do as a career. My Uncle Jim owns a large Mercedes Benz dealership, and I've worked for him since high school. He and my Aunt Suzy have no children, so they've been like second parents to me. Now after twenty years at the dealership I'm now far and away the leading sales person, but also the general Manager of the whole business. In a few years my Uncle will retire and he intends to give the company to me. So, I guess I do sell used cars, but Britt should find out the whole story before she denigrates me.

That night I intended to find out where her mind was and get us back to where we have always been. That evening was the big gala for her hospital. It's a big fund raiser at a hotel ballroom with dinner and dancing. We've always enjoyed dancing together and I intended to make that evening special. I'm had flowers delivered before we leave, and I had bought a beautiful diamond necklace to give her while we were at the event. I wanted it to be as romantic an evening as I could make it.

Six o'clock had arrived. I'd taken the kids to Britt's parents for the night. I was hoping we could reconnect in the bedroom also. Lately we had barely made love, and when we do, something seemed to be off. The flowers should be delivered soon. Britt was coming down the steps and she had on a very tight long dress with a slit going all the way up one side. It goes up so high it's hard to tell if she has any panties on. I had never seen this dress before. It's way sexier than anything she's ever worn with me.

The doorbell rang with the flowers right on time.

"Britt," I asked, "would you get the door?"

When she gets the flowers with the card, she turns to give me a thank you with a hug. I don't get it; it all seemed forced. It was if she didn't appreciate them at all.

The ride to the gala was quiet, I finally asked about her dress. "Britt, I've never seen that dress before? It's awfully sexy, did you buy it for tonight?"

"Yes Tom, I wanted to look extra special tonight. I feel like I'm way too conservative with my dressing these days, so I wanted to shake it up a little."

That was not quite the answer I was expecting. "We go to nice places for dinner all the time. Why tonight?"

I only received a nervous look from that question with no answer. Now I knew something was really off, but I wanted to keep my cool. We arrived at the ritzy hotel where the gala was being held. We valeted our car and went in to our table with all her work friends. Britt was to my right and her best friend Jane was to my left with her husband Jim. Jane works as a nurse with Britt and they are as close as girlfriends can be. We socialize with them a lot. Her husband Jim and I get along well and we all loved to go out together.

Dinner was great with some short speeches about the hospital and a thank you to all the big donors and everyone that came. I was excited about the dancing that followed. Britt and I had always enjoyed dancing together. I felt this would be the night we get back the closeness in our marriage. So, when the band started, Britt and I were up right away and out to the dance floor. We only dance two songs together when she stopped me.

"Tom, I'm a little tired. Could we go and sit for a bit?"

Now this was really strange? She didn't seem that tired, but I wasn't going to argue, so we headed back to our table.

We were only at the table for a few moments. I was looking left at Jane as she started to tell me a funny story about one of her kids. That's when I heard from behind me a man's voice.

"Brittney, could I have this dance?"

As I turned around to see what's going on Britt answers without even hesitating, "Sure Bill, that sounds great."

I stood up as they went to the dance floor. I asked Jane, "who is that guy?"

"That's Dr. William Sanders, he's the chief heart surgeon at our hospital," she answered. Then she said, "Tom, are you alright?"

"Yes Jane, I'm alright. Now I understand everything. It's now all perfectly clear."

BRITNEY

This really was incredible. Bill had been seducing me for months, and now he'd finally gotten to me. He's a brilliant surgeon, plus so handsome and such a smooth talker. I don't know why I was so aroused? I've had many guys over the years hit on me. I guess it's different, because he's such a superstar at the hospital, and he's slowly shown me the difference between he and Tom. He's shown how I really have married down, and how lucky Tom is to have me. Bill's convinced me how important my work is compared to selling a few cars every month. He included me in every important surgery and I could tell the added respect I'm getting at the hospital. He wants me to tell Tom at the end of the night I'm going to stay and have a few drinks with my friends and I'll take a cab home. Bill has a suite booked upstairs and I think I might join him after the gala. This is the first time Bill's even touched me. There has been no kissing or even an embrace, but now after dancing with him I think I want more, a lot more.

I danced four songs in a row with Bill. I guess I lost track, so I needed to get back to the table and my husband. But as I see our table, I couldn't seem to locate Tom?

I said to the table, "Do any of you know where Tom went? I don't see him."

"He left," Jane said with a look of disgust on her face. "He walked out right after you started dancing with Bill Sanders. But I guess you didn't notice."

At that moment I felt someone lightly tug at my arm. It was Bill and he whispered to me, "Come with me Brittney. It's what we wanted anyway." I didn't know he had followed me to my table.

I was frozen where I stood. On one hand, Bill was pulling me away to where I had planned to go with him. But my husband of ten years had left me here and I was frightened. He'd never done anything like that before.

It's then that Jane walked up, told Bill to take his hand off me, and said we need to talk privately, now. Jane pulled me into a hallway off the side of the ballroom and looked at me with fire in her eyes.

"What is wrong with you?" Jane spat at me, "Your actions this evening have probably cost you your marriage. I've never seen anyone look as angry as Tom when he left here. Do you realize how great your husband is? You always think you're the most beautiful and special woman in any room that you're in. And I suppose you are the best-looking woman most of the time. But you need to understand your husband is the hottest guy on the planet. You don't see him the way other girls see him. He's tall, dark, handsome, personable, humble, and incredibly successful."

"Wait Jane," I laughed, "he sells used cars for a living, and although I might have gotten carried away a little with Bill Sanders, I think you can understand why?"

"You're a fool Britt! My husband Jim had some work done recently at that dealership. Tom does sell cars, way more than anyone else there, but he's also the general manager of the whole dealership. He runs the whole damn place. That you don't know this shows how wrapped up in yourself you've become. Jim says all the employees say he's the greatest boss in the world. They love him. And you're going to throw him away for that slime ball Bill Sanders! He's fucked half the women in that hospital, single or married. Besides, he's the biggest jerk to everyone around him, except you, I guess. Right now, everyone at this party thinks you're Bill Sander's latest slut. I'm sure you'll be a big feather in his cap. You disgust me! Until you get your head out of your ass, don't call me.

Oh my god, what have I done? Have I let my own vanity destroy my marriage? I've disrespected my husband. I've shamed myself. I've got to call Tom and try to repair the damage. As I hurried back to my table for my purse, Bill stopped me and wanted me to come with him.

"Look," I said, "I must have lost my mind the last few months, but it's over between us. If you so much as talk to me outside the operating room, I'll report you for harassment. Leave me alone!"

I called Tom on the phone. Thank God he answered, "Tom, it's me, why did you leave me here?"

"Are you still with your lover Britt?"

"No Tom, it's not what you think," I beg.

"It's exactly what I think! I may not be a heart surgeon, but I can read people. You've been cheating on me for months. I now understand all the disrespect towards me and that sleazy dress. That was for him tonight. It's obvious now. I'm leaving you Britt; I won't put up with it. I'll pick up the kids from your parent's house tomorrow morning. Don't you dare show up there. I need some alone time with my children. I'll drop them off tomorrow afternoon." With that he disconnected.

TOM

That night I stayed in a hotel. Sleep was hard to come by because of my anger and the sense of loss. Why would Britt destroy our family by cheating? Why did she think it alright to make a fool out of me at the gala, in front of her friends and coworkers? What had happened to her respect for me, our marriage, and our family? I sat in my car outside my in-law's house and waited before I went in for my children. My in-law's Dave and Jean never really approved of me. I was never good enough for their princess. They'll probably be happy she replaced me with a doctor, especially her dad. But I'll be direct and tell them what's going on. I won't let Britt spin this so I'm the bad guy. Sometimes she has a bad habit of spinning things her way. She doesn't like to say she's made a mistake. Dave opened the door after I knocked. I asked the kids to get their things ready to go and let me have some adult time with their grandparents

Bill asked, "What's going on Tom? You look so down?"

"I want you both to know I'm leaving Britt. She's been having an affair with a doctor at her work. I know you two have never really approved of me, so maybe you'll feel better that she's replaced me."

Jean immediately sat and put both hands over her face while crying. Dave looked at me angrily and barked at me, "what have you done to drive her to do this, if there's any truth to it?"

"I'll tell you two honestly; since I met Britt, I've never looked at another woman. I would never do that."

At that the kids came down with their things. I put them in the car for a day at the park, then lunch, followed with a children's movie. After that day, I didn't know how much I would see them.

BRITTNEY

I waited in my car down the street from my Mom and Dad's house. I saw Tom arrive and after a while, leave with the kids. I needed to talk to my parents and see what Tom said to them. He didn't sleep at home last night. I didn't know what he thought or how much he knew.

When I arrived, my Mom and Dad were sitting in their kitchen. My Dad asked, "Brittney, Tom just left and said you were in an affair with some doctor? Has he lost it? I can't imagine he knows what he's talking about."

So, then I knew what Tom had told them. I had to spin my answer carefully. I didn't want my parents to think any less of me. They'd always held me in high regard.

"We went to the gala last night. I got up to dance with a doctor from work and when I came back, he had left. He thinks something is going on but it isn't."

My Dad said, "how dare he say those things about you. He doesn't get how good he has it. You don't need to put up with him."

With that my Mom stood up and glared at both of us. My Mom is a good kind woman. She never has a strong voice or opinion on anything. That's why it shocked us when she told us both to be quiet. "You two need to listen for a change. Brittney, all your life you've been bending the truth to suit your own needs, and you get away with it because you have a pretty face, and everyone thinks you're so special. I want you to tell us the whole truth of this matter. You might be about to destroy your marriage and family. Since you were a little girl, you've used your looks to get what you wanted. As you got older your glamorous modeling career added to your narcissistic attitude. You started to change a bit when you went to nursing school. But when you met Tom, I finally got my daughter back. He loved you and kept you grounded. He gave you a home and family that any woman would envy. Now I want to hear the whole story."

I knew that I needed to be truthful with my parents. If I was going to put my marriage back together, I'd need their help. This would be embarrassing. No one wants to tell their parents that they've acted like an adulterous bitch. So, I proceeded to tell them how awful I've been the last four months. The flirting back and forth. How the lunches started and led to a dinner together last week. Then I told them about the night before. How I dissed on my husband, went to dance with another man in a disrespectful manner, and how I planned to deceive Tom and spent the night with a sleaze ball doctor. Then I included the lack of respect and love I had shown Tom for almost four months. I think my parents were completely disgusted with me. My father wouldn't look at me and my mother was just shaking her head.

My Dad finally asked, "is it because the doctor is so much more successful than Tom that helped sway you?"

"That's another thing Dad. Last night as everything was happening my friend Jane literally pulled me out of Bill Sanders arms and gave me an earful. I'm ashamed to say she informed me that not only is Tom the leading salesman, he is also the general manager of the dealership. I have told people in front of him he's only a used car salesman. Now not only do I look like a tramp, I look like an idiot at the same time. On my way over here, I drove by the dealership. You can't believe the facility. It's fabulous and most was done under Tom's leadership. I've been so caught up in myself, I never paid any attention to Tom's job, or asked him about it."

My Mom said to me, "Brittney, do you want to save your marriage with Tom?" I nodded my head yes. "Well then, you've got your work cut out for you. It won't be easy, especially because of Tom's temper."

I gathered my thoughts for a moment. "Mom, what are you talking about his temper? I've never seen Tom even angry, certainly not lose his cool."

"Before you got married, his Mom and Dad told me about his temper. All his life they've worked with him to control himself. When he was younger it was with sports, but later on he became a boxer and quite a good one at that. We need to get a plan together and the three of us will work on it."

Dad asked, "Jean, how can I help?"

"Dave, I hope you're seeing things as they really are? You've always been blind to your daughter's faults. You are going to call everyone you've denigrated your son-in-law to. You're going to tell them what a fine man he is, and how proud of him you are. Word will get back to Tom. It always does."

At four that afternoon Tom dropped the kids off. He said goodbye at the door and turned to leave. I ran out to his car and said, "We need to talk."

"Britt, it's too raw, I need some time."

Tom didn't come home again that night. The next morning first thing I called into work and took the day off. They were upset with me on such short notice, but I told them I would either have the day off or I would quit, effective immediately. Then I got the children up and off to school. I realized how much Tom actually does to get the kids taken care of. Next order of business was to call HR at the hospital and demand a transfer to a different department. I told Susan, the head of HR, that I would not work with Dr. Bill Sanders.

Susan asked, "Is this strictly a personal request based on Dr. Sanders behavior towards you."

COYS
COYS
380 Followers
12