Getting Over It, Revisited

Story Info
Thoughts on raising one's cull factor.
3.6k words
52.4k
22
Story does not have any tags
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
c1992w
c1992w
534 Followers

Authors Foreword: Here is a short story with a little black humor that even the BTB folk might find themselves neutral. Thanks for constructive comments. Hope you enjoy this very short piece.


June Craft had one goal only: to untangle herself from the arms of the sleeping man who held her this early Sunday morning. She refreshed herself and washed all her body orifices with warm water diluted with Clorox. Then she eased out of her bedroom door and closed it quietly, crept down the stairs to the kitchen and made a pot of coffee. She asked herself again for the hundredth time, "Why is my life a bummer?" She anticipated an hour or so of being alone before John, the piece of meat out cold in her bed, would slither downstairs.

Alone, she reminded herself that a judge had awarded her this house when she was divorced two plus years ago. Her thought sequence was almost a broken record. At moments like this she thought exclusively of her ex-husband and her now college freshman son. She feared that her ex-husband could no longer visualize her face, although his was crystal clear to her.

Moreover, her son, who had moved out of her house and in with his father at the time her cheating had been discovered, almost wouldn't call or visit her. When she called him, there was an unspoken sense in his voice of, "I am very busy, Mother!" As she hung up her phone, the irony of her being awarded the house because the 'minor child' needed a residence struck her speechless in that her 'minor child' found her boring.

As she sat down to sip her coffee she unconsciously picked up the Globe and turned on the NPR robots that always read the news on Sunday mornings. The two distractions, however, could not suppress her thoughts today: "What am I going to do about the 'Piece of Meat' cluttering my life and is now asleep in my bed upstairs?"

Another recurring question was, "How could I throw away a home, a family, a career and my future to make whoopee with my former boss who now lay upstairs in the deep sleep of a Lush?" Since both her and her lover had been dismissed for cause (Personnel Handbook Violations) and that her former employer had settled out of court with her ex husband, June's life had been accelerating down hill. This had been going on during the two plus years that her ex and her son moved out.

Continuing with her thoughts, she mulled over, "Those damned Brats of John's are over here every other weekend, and I think I will just scream every time they come for their visitation."

--------------------

Four blocks away Jim Craft lay in bed in his small two-bedroom apartment. His latest Internet dating site date lay beside him sleeping soundly. This had been their third date and he had decided he liked her enough to invite her to stay over – and she accepted his offer to spend the night. But, sadly, both of them had already concluded that there was no magic in their affair, and for both it would be back to the Internet Dating sites looking for that elusive 'magic' in the next date.

Jim got up and could hear his son, Craig, in the kitchen working – probably washing last night's dishes.

Jim walked into the kitchen and both smiled at each other and Craig whispered, "A good morning to you, Dad, and congratulations on finding a bed partner for last night – but I don't think I felt the apartment vibrate when you guys were getting it on."

Jim whispered, "Heh heh Well, you and I both ask too much. What are you hungry for?"

"Nothing for me. My new girlfriend has invited me to breakfast at her home and she will pick me up in 15 minutes. That is the reason I was killing time cleaning up the kitchen."

"'At her home' as in Mom and Pops or her apartment?""

"She didn't say and I didn't ask."

"The best advice I can give you, son, which you will not take is to, 'keep your pants zipped until you graduate and are working as an Engineer!'"

"You obviously are the voice of experience, Dad, because 'here I am the living proof!'" After tapping himself on his chest he continued, "But, thanks for the advice."

As Tim was preparing breakfast, his date, Irene ("God! I forgot her last name!"), walked into the kitchen just as a car horn blew in the parking lot below. Jim only had time to say, "Irene, say hello to my son, Craig, who happens to be running at the sound of the car horn you can hear. And, Son, don't forget to go see your Mother – and pick up those tools we discussed."

---------------

June's live in lover and former boss shuffled into the dinning room. She looked at him and said, "Good morning, John. You don't look so good, how do you feel?"

"I hurt, June. You are just going to have to bear with me for one more day. I shouldn't have opened that second bottle of wine last night. Neither my friends nor you drank much of it, but I seemed to have finished it."

June said nothing out loud, but thought, "In addition to your other faults, I am stuck with a lush. God! What a prize!" And then she added out loud, "There is a cup of coffee left, help yourself."

After John had started sipping his coffee, June suddenly had a plan. She lied, "My mother will start a three month visit next Friday so you will probably want to find yourself some other home for three months – besides my son is very attached to 'Mama' and will spend much time here. Since you two bristle in each others presence making yourself scarce might be the 'better part of valor.'"

June showed him a two-line excerpt print off of an email that her Mother actually had written to her sister 3 thousand miles away and copied her. The part that John saw said only, "bad weather here. Look for me at baggage claim American Flight 4886 arriving 2:15 P.M. Friday. "I really look forward "

John did not question what he read and replied, "That does it. I will look for an apartment closer to my job, starting today. I will come back by and pick up my things after I have found one. May I treat you to breakfast, "June?"

She kept a straight, concerned face with monumental effort and said, "No, John, you go on and start looking. You might find a good restaurant in the Bedford area nearer your work. I just want to read the paper before I start dreading tomorrow and returning to work myself in my less than exciting new job. "

An hour later, June decided to walk the quarter mile to the Whole Foods Super Store for a healthy breakfast. She was careful to not remind herself that Tim, her Ex, shops there and she just might get a chance to see him again.

At the store she went directly to the Deli counter and picked some items for breakfast, got an ice tea at the coffee bar, paid, and made her way to the food court seating area. Just as she turned into the seating area, she caught sight of the back of her ex husband's head. Her heart started beating wildly. A rather nice looking lady sat opposite facing June talking in low tones, non-stop while Tim mostly listened. He and the lady were obviously in a deep, but spirited conversation.

After about five minutes, the lady bolted up and said loud enough so that the whole Food Court could hear, "Please take me to my car, Tim." Her ex-husband bussed their table and followed her, passing June on their way out.

When Tim passed, June hoped that he had spotted her without acknowledging. She sat there trying to slow down her heart rate, while she finished her breakfast. She pushed her paper plate aside and moved her tea in front of her as she fetched and turned on her Kindle. She waited 5, then 10 and finally 15 minutes while she read her romance novel. She then stood to buss her table when suddenly her ex-husband, Tim Craft, stood in front of her.

He said, "Greetings June. May I take your breakfast plates to the trash and then join you for a chat?"

At first she couldn't speak at all, but after a moment she replied, "Why, yes, that would be nice gesture for such a beautiful day as this."

While Tim was away from her table she said to herself, "Of all days to look like a scare crow I am dressed in sneakers and gym clothes. Damned! If his deep seated anger doesn't scare him off, my 'Witch Hazel' costume will do the trick!" When he returned she smiled and said, "I know you still shop here because I have seen you more than once. Thanks for returning and stopping by." Tim's non-reply made her nervous. So she continued by saying, "Your date told the whole room that she was angry with you about something. Want to share the details?"

Suddenly, Tim smiled and relaxed as he said, "Last evening was our third and final date – she was my 4th Internet date, but the other three were one date only type experiences. This lady was nice and seemed at first to have it together. But there was no magic that we both expected and hoped to experience. So when we got up this morning, I brought her to breakfast in this place with 'no ambiance' – her very words – and so our breakfast chat went down hill from there until she loudly made her demand that every one heard."

June replied, "Well, the 5th time is a charm – I think I read that somewhere."

Her Ex replied, " Yeah. I have a first date with number 5 on Wednesday night. So, what's going on with you nowadays, June?"

"Well, as of 8:00 A.M. I was still involved with John but alas! All those '4-0' qualities I bragged and lied that he had, have disappeared just like magic. Poof! In fact I think he is turning into a lush as a co-worker from his new job and his wife came over for dinner last night, and John drank almost a bottle of wine by himself. Also, he is worried that his two small children will turn into monsters as adults – and rightly so since I entertain them every other weekend and I know the symptoms of budding Monster-hood."

Tim said, "Speaking of children, Craig is going by to see you with a list of tools to pick up. Don't let him forget, will you?"

June said, "Tim, our son is still hostile to me and almost never comes by, or calls, or even answers my calls – except for brief telegraph-type messages on my voice mail." Noticing the look of complete surprise on her Ex's face, she continued, "Would you remind him that his mother loves him very much? Also, I presume he is doing well in engineering school?"

Tim replied, "Yes. Quite well. And you will be glad to hear that he did not drop his piano practicing daily – the reason I need those tools I mentioned are that I want to refinish the piano stool. And, "Rrrrrrrrollll the drums, ' a girlfriend' picked him up this morning and took him to her home to have breakfast."

Obviously suppressing tears, she said, "Our son is growing up and you and I are getting old."

They spent another 15 minutes chatting mostly about their son and finally Jim stood up and said, "June, nice to see you again and to talk civilly. I will encourage Craig to stop by – in fact, I will even tell him about our chat. " He offered his hand across the table, and June squeezed it before she turned it loose.

As he turned to leave, she said, "I have breakfast 10:00 A.M. Sunday mornings right here." She watched her Ex shake his head in acknowledgement as he walked away.

June slowly shuffled back towards the house her notorious dagger-in-the-throat attorney had gotten for her in her divorce two plus years ago. She kept thinking about plumbing and carpentry maintenance things that needed to be done and reminded herself that the piece of meat that she now lives with cannot even use a hammer. Talking to no one she said, "I could at least live with myself if I gave Jim and Craig the house and moved into an apartment. God! I wish I could remember what I saw as Jim's shortcomings and as John's fine qualities – hell! The only thing I can remember is that my husband was not a partying type and that is all John did while always bragging about his big cock. A dead between-the-ears piece of meat with a big cock is worthless. Why couldn't I understand that 30 months ago? June, you are one fucked up bitch."

Arriving home June killed off three hours exchanging bellyaches about life with her sister in California. And then it hit her! She thought, "Tim is responsible for my losing my good job at the insurance company by his threatened law suit and their subsequent dumping both John and me for 'inappropriate behavior...' spelled out in the employee handbook. Damn! I should hate my Ex. But I don't. Right now I would give ten years of my life for the next ten years with him loving me again. Stop this, June! Lets concede that the Asshole here is you, Woman, while you try to get a life. Check your responses on the two Internet dating sites and see if there are any suitable candidate frogs who want to meet you!"

-----------------

After Jim returned to his apartment he studied woodworking projects in magazines he would like to do, except he had no tools and no space. Then his thoughts wandered to June, "She looks awful – and I am sure it's the bad lifestyle she now pursues – no wonder Craig got the hell out of the house pronto! Am I still angry with her? Maybe. Could I ever trust her again? No." He heard Craig's key in the door and he smiled as his son entered the living room. "How was your breakfast date, Craig?"

"Actually, quite good. It was the first time I had smoked salmon with my eggs and half dozen kinds of fruits and breads - all served to me by a chef. Her Mom and Dad obviously have it together and they have a grand piano – he's a stock trader and he gave me a tour of the three computers in his office where he works when the market is open. Her Mom looks almost as good as Naomi does. I have been invited back by both my girlfriend and her parents."

Jim replied, "Hell! You did a lot better than I have done and I have the Internet to hunt down my dates! What a bummer for me! But all that aside, you could never guess with whom I chatted for over an hour – and you know this person well!"

Craig named off three of his Dad's friends and finally said, "O.K., I give up. Who?"

Jim replied, "Your mother!"

Craig replied, "Really? You are slumming, Dad. I suggest you continue your Internet search, because you can do better than her."

Jim said, "She also complained that you scarcely visit or phone her. She threw her family life away for sure, but she still loves you, Son. "

"Dad, I don't like the creep who hangs out with her, she still cooks awful food, and she is boring as hell because all she wants to do is to justify her self destruction to both me and her. And that shit gets old."

"Well, Son, she didn't look so good today, either, as a matter of fact – and I don't think she combed her hair since she woke up. Still, even if you just stay 10 minutes on a frequent visit it will help her a lot. Besides that you need to drop by to pick up those tools I ask you to do. Please?"

Obviously bored with that topic, Craig said, "O.K., I will do it. Oh Dad, I sat down at Naomi's grand piano and played three pieces that I know. What an experience! I hope to get a job some day such that I can afford a nice piano." He talked and talked about his girl friend.

Jim's fifth Internet date on Wednesday evening at Starbucks was the best of the five. It was nice to meet someone whose view of life was so much like his own and who had mastered the art of living with herself. Thus, the habit she had of simply being herself – 'You-can-go-to-hell if you don't like me.' Attitude - was a real turn on for Jim.

They had another date Friday night and planned one then for late Saturday afternoon.

It was a beautiful spring day when she came into Tim's apartment, and the sound of Craig practicing Rachmaninoff's Paganini theme on the spinet piano in one corner of the living room, stopped her in her tracks to listen. After Tim had finished the excerpt he stood up and smiled at her and his Dad.

She smiled and said, "You have real potential and already advanced, young man. I am impressed. She extended her hand and said, "My name is Rachael, and you obviously are Craig."

"Yes, Mam. I am glad you liked it. Do you play?"

"Yes. Often. Maybe we two can have a session sometime?"

Craig said, "I must get ready for a date myself, so if you will excuse me."

Tim's date looked at him and smiled, breathing deeply. The odor in the house created hunger pains in Rachael as she asked Tim, "What are you preparing for us?"

Tim tried to speak but was frozen at what he had just witnessed between Rachael and his son. The sound of the timer going off brought his awareness to the moment.

He said, "I have been slow cooking a Roast and vegetables all day, and its odor has overwhelmed my apartment. But its ready now, and our salad is in the refrigerator. Ready to eat?"

"I am ready: Lets eat now!"

During dinner their conversation was light and provoked much laughter. After dinner their conversation continued while Tim played some CDs that Rachael had picked out from his collection. The sound from his audiophile equipment – which he managed to salvage from the division of property when he was divorced -- immediately brought a look of extreme pleasure to Rachael's face. As the music permeated the room, Tim could not believe how completely relaxed at home Rachael was in his apartment on her first visit. He was shocked that he felt the same way. Tim remembered that the four prior dates nervously twitched their fingers at each other while they chatted – unlike this woman, who sat unmoving.

After dinner, being in each others arms was a natural process as they talked between bouts of heavily kissing each other. They both spent quality time getting to know each other.

It was 11 P.M. when Rachael said; "I have decided that I want to keep you in my life so I will not offer to spend the night, though you should know that I ache with desire to do just that. May I come back early in the morning and treat you to breakfast at your favorite Sunday restaurant?"

Tim answered, "Thanks for not racing me to the bedroom, as I, too, don't want this experience to end. How about meeting me at Wholefoods on Greenville Avenue, which is a half-mile away, at 10:00 A.M.? You can treat me there if that works for you."

She said, "Fantastic, see you then!" She got up to leave and Tim stood beside her.

As the two approached her car, it became more and more difficult to say good night. After she was buckled in, he kissed her one last time as she started backing out of the parking place.

---------------

At 10:00 A.M. the next morning June Craft sat in the sun at a table outside Wholefoods eating her breakfast. She had spent most of the night silently praying that Tim still had an interest in her. The night had been long and brutal in that not a single pastime she normally enjoyed took away the silence and being alone. At one point she had even reached for her phone to call her Piece of Meat who had moved his things out of her house on Thursday, but she disciplined herself and did not call.

She saw Tim's car pull in and park near the store entrance and she immediately felt some hope that gave relief. She watched him get out of his car and just stand beside it scanning the parking lot. He continued to stand by his car.

About five after Ten a sedan pulled in near his. June watched as a big smile broke out on Tim's face and he hurried over to the sedan and opened the door for the driver. The moment she was standing they were locked in an embrace and just stood there for a long moment. They finally broke apart and started walking slowly to the Whole Foods entrance.

------------------

The couple never saw June Craft.

June bussed her table and started her dreaded walk home. Her thoughts were, "Poor me. I will raise my cull factor and start kissing more Internet frogs. Maybe, just maybe, I, too, can meet someone who makes me feel the way Tim obviously made that woman feel."

The end.

c1992w
c1992w
534 Followers
  • COMMENTS
Anonymous
Our Comments Policy is available in the Lit FAQ
Post as:
Anonymous
46 Comments
AnonymousAnonymous2 months ago

Get your names straight. Is it Jim or Tim?

Writing 101, edit your shit and keep people’s names the same throughout your story.

Alvares1414Alvares14149 months ago

I liked it. While I enjoy a good BTB tale when deserved, not all cheaters are evil, as June proved here. Sometimes it's just the actions that are evil, and it was clear here that she turned her brain off. She fucked up, and compounded on it by continuing to fuck up, and now she's too far down the rabbit hole. Maybe one day she'll be able to find her way back out of it. But at the same time, Tim deserves to move after the undeserved hurt that her betrayal brought on

4* story

Hiram325Hiram325over 1 year ago

The consequences of self-centered bad life choices... Good story.

26thNC26thNCover 2 years ago

This was a pretty good story about regretting bad choices.

Wolfgang1955Wolfgang1955over 2 years ago

Legio_patria_Nostra is right.

You shake your head no.

Show More
Share this Story

Similar Stories

Long Drive Home Vet gets BTB revenge on cheating wife.in Loving Wives
Fool Me Once Fool him twice? He won't let that happen.in Loving Wives
Bottomless Cheaters pay the price...in Loving Wives
Honey, We Need to Talk Divide and conquer? I don't think so!in Loving Wives
Revenge in Advance - A Sequel Husband learns of wife's treachery and gets his own revenge.in Loving Wives
More Stories