Ghost Detectives Bk. 01: Discovery

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"He could have cracked when he found out about the affair. Often the shock takes them over the edge."

"According to the article, he found out on the Tuesday and killed her. The body was found the following day and he was arrested on the Thursday. The article I read was on the Friday so must have been written on the Thursday and by then he had also been charged. Look, she is leaving the house." James started his engine.

As she drove off, they followed. Twenty minutes later she stopped at the La Mont restaurant and met up with three other women and together they ordered a late lunch. John and James entered and sat as close to them as they could, both ordering a coffee and a meal but they were not close enough to know what they were discussing. Their conversation was animated but amicable with lots of laughter but Sandra seemed to be the one doing most of the talking. The third woman who they later learned was called Courtney, hardly spoke from what they could make out but when she did seem to be agreeing with Sandra.

"Do you know the other women?" John asked.

"The dark haired one I have seen her before, I think she works in the court but not sure what function she does there, the other two I've never seen before. We'll tip the waiter and ask him."

Surprising what a twenty pound note will get you; the waiter, believing their motive to be a little female comfort, even offering an introduction, informed them the four were regulars and met for lunch weekly and one evening a month. They already knew a bit about Sandra, John discretely turning on his lapel recorder as the waiter started speaking.

The saying is true, if you want to know anything about anything ask a waiter, thought John. The dark haired one did indeed work at the court as a Circuit Judge and stayed entrenched in the feminine corner when handing down judgment, Married to an architect and well off financially as well as socially. The tall, light haired woman, worked as a family doctor, married to a gynaecologist. The third woman had married a television producer last year and worked as a Chief Inspector of Police. The last, referring to Sandra, he wasn't sure about, but knew she did voluntary unpaid work and her husband, Morris, ran his own construction company. Perhaps not so socially connected as the others, he still earned serious money. Making sure he'd pocketed his tip, the waiter smirked that they'd be hard pushed to pull any of those four. He grinned, giving them a false smile and suggested it may be worth sending a bottle of champagne over, more to increase their bill than their chances of pulling one of the women. They had the information they needed, thanked him and waited for their order to arrive.

Twenty minutes later the four women got up and left, the dark haired one paying the bill. John threw a few notes on the table and they followed them out, watching as they walked to their cars and drove away. They looked at each other as if to say, what now.

"We follow Sandra," said John shrugging his shoulders.

She drove out toward West Point apartments, parked at the back of the building and went inside. Following was not an option and they debated whether to sit it out in the car to wait for her to emerge or give up and go home. Just then, the dark-haired woman turned up followed a few minutes later by the other two who parked next to Sandra's car and went into the flat.

"They just left each other so why come here?" James said.

"Stay in the car, I'll go and find out the number of the flat and ask around."

James scanned the carpark. "How, there's no one around to ask?"

"Leave that to me." John walked over to the door they used to enter the building and skimmed down the list of flat numbers. He was sure the button they pressed before entering their code was around half way down the list of names displayed. He copied the names from the list and returned to the car. They didn't have a lot of time, the murder would happen within the next twenty-four hours, probably sooner, so whatever they needed to do, it needed to be done soon.

John searched the internet looking for the professions of the individuals. Courtney 's profession showed up as a Circuit Judge. Finding the Police Inspector was even easier, the tall light haired woman proved to be her, so the other one was the doctor, married to the gynaecologist. A little more information, but still nowhere near the problem of why the four were together in the flat just after meeting over lunch.

"We stay and wait, unless you have a better suggestion, John."

"What I wouldn't give to be a fly on the wall right now."

Waiting in a car doing nothing is akin to watching paint dry and after two hours, there was still no sign of them. A few cars entered the carpark, parked, and the drivers went into the building, but most of the residents entered by the front entrance, so people walking were few and far between. Another hour passed, and still no movement and they debated going back to watch Sandra's house and find out if Morris was still there when Courtney came out, jumped into her car and exited the carpark. Twenty minutes later the other two came out and did the same. They waited, another hour passed, still no Sandra. This was getting mind numbingly monotonous.

"I think we should go back and watch the other house." At that very moment Courtney, sitting in the front passenger seat, returned with the others in the same car, jumped out, collected Sandra's car, and started to exit the car park.

"What was that all about?"

"Not sure, but what we do know is that Sandra is still in the flat unless she has used the front entrance."

"Follow Courtney."

Courtney parked the car outside Sandra's house soon to be joined by the other two women who parked their car out of view of James and John. The two women went around the back of the house while Courtney knocked the front door. When no one answered, she opened it using the key she held in her hand.

"Where is Sandra's husband? His car is on the drive."

They got out of their car walked around the corner and noticed the other car had gone, the conclusion being the three must have left through the back garden and could well have gone at any time. They just weren't paying attention. Half an hour later a man, who they assumed to be Morris, came out the front door. He opened the boot and carried a large parcel out of the house, placed it into the boot and drove away.

"I wonder if Sandra left the flat before the other three taking a taxi?"

"I wonder if the parcel was Sandra's body?"

"Where to now?"

"We wait I suppose."

"The house is empty so why are we waiting? We could look around the house."

"If we go in we are bound to be seen by some of the neighbours and then we'll be implicated by default in the murder. From what you read was there mention of the women? Surely they must be mentioned if only in passing."

"Nothing."

"I'll tell you what will fit. The three women turned up to explain to Sandra's husband that there was no affair and immediately left through the back entrance. Sandra must have come back to the house and he killed her, placed her body in the boot and drove away. That is exactly what we saw. Over the next week or so these women will come forward and testify that it happened the way I've just said. From what we have seen so far, he did kill her and bury her body. I think we should go home and see what transpires over the next few days and leave well alone. My original feeling on his innocence is wrong."

"It seems that is what happened but it's strange to bury the body by a badger sett where it was certain to be discovered, that doesn't seem to fit."

"Don't go there, John. Let's just leave it in the hands of destiny. Come, let's go home."

A few days later the papers were full of the murder with Morris charged and in custody, happening exactly as James had read it. He scoured all the papers for further information, but still there was no mention of the three women. At the very least, he expected a mention, if only a comment they were friends. After all, they met regularly, so they must have been more than casual acquaintances. The evidence against him proved even more damning than James had even realised. The latest revelation, they found the shovel hidden under floorboards with his finger prints on the handle. The case looked to be a slam dunk, and despite his misgivings, he needed to forget about it, there was just too much evidence again Morris to lead to any other conclusion.

Weeks passed, Carolyn was now back home, Janice, starting to adjust to her new situation, maintaining her daughter's place was with her husband, insisting she return home despite her protestation to the contrary.

The environmental disaster happened exactly as James said it would. The papers filled with the warnings that were given and why no one took any notice, with rewards offered leading to the discovery of who had sent the warning.

The theorists were out in force, some blaming terrorism, others declaring an Act of God. Some blamed the captain in a deliberate act of sabotage, and so the arguments raged, guess after guess all with not a shred of substance.

Sitting at home with Carolyn after the evening meal both with a glass of wine in their hands, James asked her what she knew of Courtney Westley.

"She's a judge, why would you want to know about her."

James ignored the question, "and Jennie Thomson?"

"Detective Chief Inspector. Why?" she said with a little more persistence.

"Wondering what she is like, nothing heavy."

His wife gave out a half-hearted snort. "You don't have the hots for her, do you?" trying to cover her reply with jocularity, but it did niggle her a little. "Have you ever met her?"

"No, of course not, but I was having lunch with John a few weeks back and she was having lunch with a few women and one of them was that women that was murdered."

"I remember, her husband did it claiming she was having an affair."

"I was wondering why none of the papers picked up they were friends, that's all."

"Not sure, she would have almost certainly have been interviewed."

"What if she failed to mention it?

"No way would she risk that, she'd have to mention it, and almost certainly it'll come out in the trial, but with the evidence against Morris he'd be strongly advised to admit it and plead temporary insanity. Look, I'm off with extended leave. I did put my notice in but with my father's death my boss said he intends to hold my resignation over for a few months."

This was news to James and he felt a little disjointed. "You never told me."

"I did mention it. I did know Don was holding it over, He phoned when I was with my mother; sorry love, it must have slipped my memory."

"Are you thinking of going back?"

"Not sure, I think it is worth us discussing it and what you intend to do."

"I work for myself so it's not the same thing. I just don't want to sit around or continually be holidaying all year."

"I think I feel the same way. You have taken a keen interest in this murder, I have seen all the research you have done. Anything you wish to tell me?"

"Originally I thought he was innocent, now I'm not that sure."

"I haven't been following the case but from what I've heard, he hasn't a hope, this is a cut and dried murder. The husband is the only one in the frame. I can tell you now, the police have the right man and are more than convinced he's guilty, no jury will find him innocent. It may not come to that if he pleads mitigating circumstances. From what I've heard, he's a bucket case in prison, and it may not even end up in court, he'll be sent straight to a mental institution."

"I didn't know it was that bad."

"According to Don, he's thinking of recommending the file be closed due to mental instability."

"Can he do that?"

"He's in charge of prosecutions, so of course he has that level of authority."

"Do you think I could meet up with Morris Ellis?"

"Why, for what reason?"

"This case has gotten to me, and I'd just like the opportunity to meet with him. Call it profession curiosity, I need to understand his mind set. It is what I do and I want you to come with me."

"What can I add?"

"Your expertise as a profiler, and doctor plus your army training and working directly with Don the Commissioner means you have a lot to contribute."

"If you want, I suppose."

"You'll come along with me to the prison?"

Her face shone, "for you my love, anything. Tomorrow I'll ring and set it up for some time next week. Can we drop it now? I have something important I want to give you in bed.

James leered at his wife and drank the rest of his wine. "For you my love, anything," repeating the words she had used.

Chapter Six

The following week saw them both outside the prison. James had a list of questions he wanted to ask Morris, and Carolyn would study his body language and take notes of his answers. She had already dedicated time to studying his profile but nothing had changed from her original prognosis that he was guilty, but she wanted to support her husband and would diligently go through the motions. They were shown into a room and told to take a seat and a few minutes later the prisoner was escorted into the room in handcuffs.

"Thank you for seeing us, Mr Ellis," said James opening the discussion. "This is Carolyn my assistant," neglecting to tell him she was his wife. "First let me say we are not associated in any authoritative way with the case and are here solely to try and help you."

"Why? The world and his uncle believes I am guilty."

"Have you pleaded yet?" said Carolyn, getting right to the heart of the matter.

"I have been told by my lawyer to plead innocent due to diminished responsibility."

Carolyn looked at him carefully. "You look far from insane from what I've seen so far."

"I'm not insane, never was insane but I was out of my mind for the first few weeks, I couldn't accept what had happened. I suppose I did go a little mad at first."

"I have looked at the evidence and it is more than damning," once again cutting into the body of the matter.

"I have no explanation other than I had nothing to do with the death of my wife and I am pleading not guilty to the charges."

James had brought Carolyn along to observe, but up to now, she was taking the lead. He needed to get inside Morris's mind and gave his wife a subliminal message which said tone it down a bit. "I believe you."

"You're the first one who does."

"Do you have any proof that your wife was having an affair?"

"I suspected her for over twelve months and on that Wednesday, she'd admitted it had been going on for a few years. I don't think I ever knew her."

"There is not a shred of evidence of any affair, do you have proof?"

"No, I don't."

"I believe you as I have said, and I'll say it again, I believe you are telling me the truth."

Carolyn give her husband a strange glance. She was certainly in the other camp and believed James was nearly there, but kept quiet.

"If you suspected for over a year, why didn't you have her followed and get the proof you needed?"

"Afraid I guess. I knew but didn't want to know, sounds crazy but I loved her. We'd been together for ten years and they were good years. She used to periodically take time out from our marriage, she just needed her own space, I didn't like it but it has always been the case since we married and I got used to it."

"When she admitted it, did you ask her to stop?"

He grunted. "Damn it, of course I asked. I begged her to stop and for us to start over again but she refused. Not exactly refused, she said she'd think about it, and it wasn't what I thought, as she needed her own space and to let her alone. With hindsight, she very much did what she wanted and I let her."

"How did you react when she admitted to the affair?"

He shrugged. "I demanded answers and said no more time out and where she goes I go. She did text me later and said she wanted us to stay together and would stop. I text back asking her who her lover was, but she again refused and I asked her to come home and an hour later she text me again and said it was over, and she'd tell me everything and text me a third time telling me she loved me and would be home shortly."

"What happened to those texts?"

"Deleted."

Carolyn looked at him with scepticism but waited for James to ask the question.

"When did you start drinking?"

"When she left then I drank until I passed out."

"On the day in question, did you see anyone else at the house after Sandra left?"

"No."

"Why did you delete them?"

"I didn't, but the texts were not there when the police looked at my phone."

"I know this is difficult. Do you have any idea where your wife went for her trysts?"

"No, but never in our house; for over six months I had a camera in the bedroom and another in the kitchen and it showed nothing inappropriate."

"Did you wife know about the cameras?"

"Not sure, but she was smart, too clever for her own good sometimes, so I suppose she could have found out but she never confronted me."

"Did you wife have another phone?"

"No, the police went through the numbers in our house phone bills and found nothing untoward.

"Why did you carry on drinking after you had those texts?"

"Don't know, I've always enjoyed a drink, that was part of our problem."

James needed to cut deep into his psyche. "Why did you accept her time out from the marriage, you must have wondered what she did and where she went?"

"Not really, it started straight after we were married and I got used to it I guess. Sometimes she was away for three, sometimes four weeks, but normally it was only for a few nights. She was passionate," he gave a little smile, "and highly motivated when it came to sex."

"What do you remember after your wife left?"

"I was angry, very angry, and told her I had been a fool up to now but no more, no more time out from the marriage and I demanded proof of where she went and who she spent time with and where she stayed. I insisted she prove to me where all the money came from she always seemed to have. In fairness to her I often found she deposited a few thousand pounds in my account and when cashflow was tight supported my business and never asked for the money back. This time I swore if she didn't, l'd have her forced to declare it in our divorce. I've been a lovesick wimp for too long but I had turned and she could see it from my behaviour and it startled her. She left and I started drinking and my mind went blank."

"Did you take any drugs?"

"Never touched them in my life other than the odd headache tablets."

"After you were arrested you proved drug positive. The report showed heroin and other illegal substances in your body. Can you explain that?"

"No. It was a set up, I have never taken drugs."

"You said you drank a lot of alcohol. You could have taken them when drunk."

"How? Where would I have gotten hold of drugs. I'm a whiskey and beer man and that's it. I have no chance, do I?"

"Doesn't look promising, the evidence against you is damning."

"I'm still pleading not guilty."

I'll take a few days to think about what you have told me and we'll meet again in two weeks." They stood up and the guard escorted them out.

Sitting in the carpark of the prison, he asked Carolyn for her prognosis. "You know what I'm going to say, I'll go through the evidence we know. Strands of her hair, blood splatter, her earing found in the boot of his car, the affair where there is no proof that an affair ever existed, the deleted texts, his heavy drinking and drugs and loss of memory. The shovel found at his house that matched the dirt where she was buried with his fingerprints over the handle. He was seen by a neighbour placing a large package in the boot of his car and driving away. The argument they had on that Wednesday, her car found outside her house. How much more do you need. Even if only a quarter of the evidence I've mentioned came to light, that would be more than enough for a jury to convict. I will admit, his body language and his sincerity in relating his story sounded convincing and shot out a vibe of innocence; that is, if I didn't know of the evidence stacked against him; it would have me sitting on the fence for a while and prompting me to ask further questions, but with all the evidence arrayed against him, unless something positive comes to light, the case is a slam dunk. My final word: the guy is guilty."

1...34567...29