Ghost Detectives Bk. 02: Virus 12-13

Story Info
The war goes on and everyone suffers.
6.8k words
4.18
3.5k
3
2

Part 5 of the 10 part series

Updated 06/09/2023
Created 03/28/2019
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Chapter Twelve

Everyone at the hospital liked Abisali, the gentle caring doctor who was well spoken, courteous and always had time for the hospital staff. Available to help others, giving advice when called upon and involved with several charities. He had written numerous articles for medical journals and was a successful, compassionate and thoughtful man. A picture representation of a good hard-working Muslim. Born into a wealthy Arab family in Saudi Arabia and educated in the best schools, his inherited wealth considerable, rich beyond most people's dreams, never needing to work, donating his salary to charity while working to help those less fortunate than himself. The outside world saw a gifted, contented, philanthropic, humanitarian giving of himself to save lives. He had cultivated his persona well and hid under its cloak with impunity, a perfect façade in which to carry out his intention to bring into existence a world caliphate where strict Sharia Law took precedence over man-made artificial, transient laws, knowing this could only be achieved by violent jihad.

There resided his problem. The powers to be were far too strong to overthrow. A war fought using conventional weapons could never be won against the blasphemers. The alternative, to cause mayhem and panic, terror and chaos, discourse and destruction; to sweep away democratic institutions, powerful hierarchies, traditional values and the nuclei family. To hit the heart out of their false values by destroying their futures, killing and training their children to hate and kill all who stood in the way of the right path; to terrorise the world into submission and bend its will to Allah. He had his plan, had his solders in Islam and had the weapon to give it light, life and form.

Tenerife would be the start of the great war by unleashing upon the world a virus so deadly it would surpass the Black Death of 1346 to 1353. With a world population, back then of only three hundred and seventy million people, it was estimated that at least seventy-five million died, with some estimating the figure as high as two hundred million, heralding in a world changing event as populations adjusted to the new order where labour cost increased tenfold, and where the general population started to question serfdom across Europe and the strangling existence of the current political system.

Reflecting on his plan he wryly smiled to himself. He had studied the 1918 flu pandemic after the First World War lasting from January 1918 to December 1920 involving the H1N1 influenza virus; with a world population of one billion eight hundred thousand, five hundred million people around the world were infected. No area stayed untouched, remote islands in the Pacific and even the Arctic suffering its deadly blast. Deaths were estimated to be around three percent of the population and life expectancy plummeted across the world; in the United States alone it dropped by twelve years as a direct consequence. The flu took a heavy toll on human populations and economic wellbeing, wiping out entire families and leaving countless widows and orphans in its wake, forcing many into poverty and starvation resulting in crime and violence. Funeral parlours were overwhelmed and bodies piled up waiting to be buried with many having to dig graves for their own family members.

Most influenza outbreaks disproportionately kill the young and the elderly, weakening a patient's tolerance through illness whose immune systems were weak to begin with, but the 1918 flu pandemic also killed young healthy adults, the virus invading lungs causing pneumonia. What Abisali had planned would surpass these pandemics. With a world population of seven and a half billion people, and the virus airborne, the damage would be catastrophic and cause mass panic and he would have the only effective vaccine; granted, he wasn't sure of its potency but that mattered little. Allah would protect him and if he died, he would die by poison and enter paradise taking his place in the halls of virgins for eternity.

The following week he would travel to Tenerife purportedly on a mercy mission where he would attend a function and work with an orphan charity on a pro bono basis discharging medical attention to the neediest. He would meet with his team and outline his plan and when he had completed the work, would fly back to the UK leaving his lieutenant Ghaziyah to bed down the final details.

Chapter Thirteen

John continued to improve but tired quickly and Carolyn took over a lot of his care while her mother pandered to his every wish. When her mother was taking her afternoon nap the three of them got together.

"Love, don't get annoyed but I need to go back."

She gave out a sigh and seemed to shrink in her chair when she heard those words. "I'm not happy about it," she groaned, "I wish you'd never found that gateway."

He looked at John for tacit support but it never came. "We know who the murderer is and I need to make sure he pays for what he's done."

"We tried that and look what happened."

"I was careless, and I should have realised the danger. Come on sis, we must bring this guy down or he'll carry on killing."

She sighed. "I feel wedged between a rock and a hard place. If anything happens to either one of you... Can't you find another way James, can't we forget about it? We know what happens over there by default because of the gateway. We are but accidents of nature."

John stared at her for a long while knowing how much his sister was hurting. "If that's what you want, let him carry on raping and murdering and we'll just turn our backs and say it has nothing to do with us," his voice neutral, without intonation or feeling.

"Stop it, John, I know that tone. I hate myself for saying it, but..." turning to James, "you must go back and nail him, that is what my brain tells me, but my heart says the opposite." Tears formed at the corner of her eyes, "I'm scared of losing you," looking at the two of them and using her sleeve to wipe her eyes. "The thought is paralysing me after what has just happened and I am frightened for the both of you and for our future."

"I'll inform the authorities there and let them handle it. I'll see he is caught and come straight back. He'll be locked away for the rest of his life and then we can deal with him here. How does that sound, love?"

"I will deal with Davidson in my own way."

It went over James's head but not John's and he gave her a sharp, disconcerted look. "Not what I wanted to hear, sis."

"You're in no position to do anything," she grouched.

"I'll go tonight but it may take a few days."

That night James stepped through the window, went straight to his flat and text Debra and Jennie asking to speak with them. The following morning over breakfast he read the papers each one having the same front page. Articles and news on the outbreak of Ebola in Tenerife and recommendations from the World Health Organisation. There were thirty confirmed cases with more expected over the coming days. Holiday traffic to the island had be suspended but most holidays had been cancelled, either by the tour operators or by those planning to their holiday, including the smaller islands of the Canarias. The international community had rallied together to bring in medical supplies and trained medical personnel. Speculation was rife about how the pathogen had spread so quickly to all parts of the island. Most islanders stayed indoors, neighbour fearing neighbour. Isolation units were set up and cordoned off under armed guard. People wore masks as the panic spread with naval and medical ships moving into place off the coast.

James linked into the internet for more up to date news. Two new cases in Las Palmas, one in San Sebastián and more reported in Puerto del Rosaria. The considered opinion gaining credence by the international community was full isolation of the Canaries. Breaking news flashed: ten children from the same school in Los Cristianos had developed symptoms and another five from a school at the other end of the island. Even James could see this was no random outbreak, it had the hand of human intervention written upon it. Pictures showed areas with medical staff in full protective clothing being sprayed with disinfectant before moving into isolated treatment centres to attend to the infected. Speculation filled the airwaves and theory after theory abounded, but those in the know knew this was an attack against the free world by persons unknown.

James phoned Jennie and asked to meet with her and, if possible, Debra later that day and went back to watching the news. Twenty minutes later his phone rang and Jennie asked if they could meet over lunch at a restaurant at the end of the High Street. When he arrived, they were both there and he took a seat facing them.

"Your voice sounded urgent. Do our bodies affect you that much? laughed Jennie, giving him a lustful stare.

"No," he sharply retorted, quickly realising his abruptness and softened his voice. "Sorry, I didn't mean how that sounded."

"I had to rearrange my schedule to be here at such short notice. What's so important? Jennie sounded as if it was a life or death situation."

"In a way it is, but I'm only here for a day or so and I needed to pass on vital information to Jennie mainly about the serial rapist and murderer. I know who he is and where he lives." Also, I wanted to speak with you about the Ebola outbreak in Tenerife.

Jennie gave him a hard stare. "We've had teams on this and have turned up nothing definite. How come you know or is it speculation, a best guest scenario? We've got cabinets filled with files on who it is, but they all lead to nothing."

"I know his name, his wife's name, address and that he has two children."

Jennie started to feel uncomfortable, she had trusted James in the past, but this... this was hard to accept unless he was in some way connected. "You have the answer when we have over fifty detectives working on it?"

James picked up on her unspoken insinuation. "I have nothing to do with the rapes or murders and do not know the person." He emphasised. "I have come across the name through my other work. Do you have any DNA information?"

Jennie tightened her body back against the chair and her eyes become more focused, a classic distancing manoeuvre when distrust creeps into the conversation. "I shouldn't be saying anything until you tell me how you know?"

"We have been through a lot together so you know you can trust me," giving her the name and address of the person and where he worked. "That's your guy. I can't tell you how I know but you know my undercover work," he lied. "If you have DNA evidence his will match, guaranteed."

Jennie softened her response. "Yes, we have that on file and a lot more information."

"It'll match. The only thing I ask is that you don't mention where your information came from. Can you do that?"

"If you are right on this... Can you just tell me, it'll go no further?"

"Check it out first and if I am wrong I'll tell you, if not, it stays with me," holding out his hand for her to shake.

She smiled at him feeling a lot more relaxed. "I can't get a handle on you," she replied, shaking his outstretched hand. "I need to go back to the office and get this started."

"Hold a bit longer. I need you both to tell me what you know about the pandemic in Tenerife."

"It started about a month or so ago. We have been told to be on our guard and what the symptoms are. From what I've gathered they think it's been introduced deliberately by some mad group of religious fanatics."

"The reports state it's the Ebola virus. I know how virulent the virus is but from what I gather it can only be passed forward after the body shows symptoms, is that also your take on the way it's spread?"

"Yes, we've been made aware of the disease and how it's spread when at medical school. It's not new, it's been around for quite a while, but the talk is that this has mutated into a more virulent strain."

James prodded further. "In what way?"

"Normally the contaminant is passed by entering the skin through an abrasion but this latest strain seems to be airborne and from what I understand from the protocols being implemented in the Canarias and here, we don't have a lot to worry about."

James shook his head. "I think you should worry. What if we are attacked the same way as the Canarias?"

"We have strict procedures in place. We have no intelligence that anything like that is planned here. I admit, we have recently had a report of a potential terrorist attack but we get them practically every week. We have no proof it's not just bad luck but I will admit that it looks somewhat dubious. Do you know something we don't?"

"Not really," he admitted, "but I would appreciate it if you fill me in on intelligence regarding what you know about Tenerife."

"If you're right about the Daniel Davidson character, I'll owe you one; I'll see what I can find out, I have a friend who works directly for the government, I'll ask her but she might not tell me much for obvious reasons."

"I can't ask for more than that. Just let me know when you have that scumbag Davidson behind bars."

Jennie paid the bill and they left the restaurant together. Back in the flat James kept abreast of the news. The more he saw the more worried he became. What was now here would be a part of his world in a few weeks. He had very little positive information, mainly conjecture and his own feeling of dread, but was convinced they were at the start of something big and nasty. Jennie never mentioned the name of her friend and he wondered if she could be the woman known as Caroline, his wife's double but thought it best not to probe.

That evening he returned home. The room was dark and he made his way to his bedroom and was soon was asleep, cuddled next to Carolyn. The following morning the four of them sat eating breakfast.

"I wasn't expecting to see you today," Janice smiled at her son in law.

"Finished up late last night and decided to travel back," he answered.

"How are you feeling this morning, John?"

"Good, mam, feeling a little stronger every day."

"I was thinking of going home today, my friends are asking after me."

"I was thinking about it myself."

"No way John, until your bandages are off, you're staying here."

"You go mam and I'll phone you later."

As soon as Janice left, James brought them up to date on what he had learned. It was no surprise to John, he'd been expecting it to get a lot worse in Tenerife when James had first mentioned it a few days ago, convinced that the war he'd been expecting between opposing cultural values had started.

"We blocked the virus from spreading and causing severe damage and loss of life in Europe and kept it mainly locked in third world countries up until now. From what you say, James, by isolating the Canarias and with the resources being mobilised to counteract, it should be contained."

"We are talking about a deliberate attack and our enemies are mobilising to attack other areas, Tenerife is just the start. We are at war. You said the virus has become airborne, what if the virus was engineered to be passed on in the atmosphere."

"I didn't say definitely airborne, I said they suspect the spread could be airborne, still, it makes no sense, the virus will kill friend and foe alike, no one will win."

"Come on sis, you've done numerous profiling analyses of different cults and fanatical organisations as well as individuals, they glorify death as much as we value the sanctity of life."

"Before we jump let me get more information."

"Not back there again!"

"I need to go back to make sure Davidson is safely under lock and key."

"Dead would be a better option after castration," griped Carolyn.

James gave a little grimace, "a sharp or a blunt knife?" he smirked.

"One with the Ebola virus on the tip," giving a false laugh. "Another murder will happen in the next few days so we need to get this fixed. When it's over next door, I'll sort what's needs to be done here."

"Hold on now."

"You're in no position to do much, John. James, you have enough on your plate with Davidson when you go back, so it's down to me. Don't say it, no smart repartee or placatory smoothness."

"Wouldn't dream of it, love," and they burst into laughter. "I'll go back tonight."

Just after one in the morning, James entered his flat; tempting as is was to check the news, he gave it a miss and went straight to bed. Early the following morning, he was up and at his computer reading all he could find about the fast-moving changes in Tenerife. New cases of Ebola were being reported almost every hour. People living on the island were in panic, many wished to leave but were stopped. Pubs, restaurants, public gatherings were closed, the advice from the authorities was to remain at home and stay away from large groups. Health centres and hospitals were inundated, nurses and doctors refused to attend to anyone who showed flu like symptoms, referring them directly to the isolation sections of the hospital or to temporary tents being erected to care for the sick and dying. People moved away from populated areas, taking tents into the mountains or places of remoteness to be alone. Outbreaks of fighting, rioting, looting and burglary soared as law and order broke down. Sensing advantage, chancers and undesirables played the disruption to the full. People, who were normally law abiding, started to scramble for food. The army and the international peace force were being drafted into the islands as the local police tried to maintain order but were battling against a frightened population.

A ring of steel was fast closing around the Canarias to stop the pathogen from spreading. A few cases of Ebola were reported in Morocco and within the last four hours ten people had died. Children were falling ill en masse. Parents accused the school with teachers refusing to attend class afraid of the violence and so the blame game escalated. Further supplies of food and water were rushed to the islands to show there was no need for panic. As James watched, breaking news stated the Canarias were under a state of emergency and had been declared a disaster area. Looters and those rioting were warned they risked being shot on sight. James turned off his computer and phoned Jennie leaving a message asking her to ring him when she was available.

Ten minutes later she returned his call. "We've got him," she shrieked, her voice vibrant and strong.

"Charged or arrested?"

"We are charging him later today. We arrested him while at work late yesterday afternoon. I can't say too much, I'm still at work but if you are around tonight, I'll meet you in the Lion, say eight, I'm buying."

James was early and ordered a beer for himself and gin and tonic for Jennie.

"We've charged him with ten rapes and four murders and there'll be more to follow."

"How come so quickly?"

"With what we found at his house and on his home and office computers plus his DNA, we had him banged to rights and he knew it. James, I can't thank you enough. I know I said... I shouldn't have doubted you. This will almost certainly place me in the front for promotion in the next year or so, but taking a mass killer off the streets would be worth it even if it meant demotion."

"Jennie, I know you're dying to know how I obtained the information but I can't tell you so please don't get annoyed about it."

"We've caught him, that's the important thing. I don't know how you do it but thank you and I won't ask again how you knew."

"I would like a favour., I've followed the press reports and the situation in the Canarias looks dire. Do you know anything that has not already been reported?"

"In what way?"

"Prognosis of who's behind it for example."

12