Ghost Detectives Bk. 02: Virus 12-13

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"I know the Ebola virus came out of Africa, but not sure if anyone is behind it, I thought it was a natural phenomenon."

He could see she knew little to nothing; it was a long shot but worth the ask. "There is a war about to start, fought not with bombs and guns but with viruses and pandemics and if not stopped hundreds of millions will die. We are at the precipice and at the start of another holocaust. Hidden deep inside our own psych is a button of our past existence where dog eats dog in the great game of survival; if we do not exercise tolerance against intolerance, law against anarchy, love against hate, the hatred of one belief against another will lead to our own destruction, spinning the world into another Auschwitz, Dachau, Bergen-Belsen, Treblinka but on a far grander scale. For those who wish to change it will be justified under a banner of human advancement towards the true god, where cleansing of Jews, infidels, apostates, Christians, Buddhists, anyone who opposes their will of the right path will burn in the fires of hell. Even peace-loving Muslims will not escape the onslaught. The slightest cultural differences that diverge from the true path as they see it, will not escape their wrath. Free expression and value of self will be reduced to zero under the feet of the intolerant."

She no longer doubted anything he said. "For Christ sake James, your elegant explanation is frightening me to hell and back. What can I do?"

"Keep your eyes and ears open and let me know what you find."

"I am not party to any information regarding what is happening in Tenerife; Caroline works for the government she'd be your best bet for information."

James' ears pricked up hearing Jennie mention her name and inwardly smiled to himself. "No, let us keep this between the three of us at least for the time being. I need to go. I'll phone you in a few days but if you hear anything leave a message if you can't get hold of me."

Back at his flat, he turned on the television for live news of Tenerife. Hundreds were falling victim to the virus and numbers of infected were building fast. The authorities were failing to cope and decreed that no one should be out of doors after dark if it could be prevented and to avoid public gatherings. Armed troops in armoured vehicles guarded the streets and main public buildings. Ships were massing offshore. The skies were filled with helicopters looking for they knew not what. The authorities had discovered an abandoned building they believed the terrorists had used. It's been accepted, he ruminated to himself, that the outbreak was deliberate. Pictures flashed on screen. He had the location and the break he needed to move against them in his dimension and leaned back in his chair waiting for night to return go back and plan the next move.

At one in the morning, James walked back into his world finding John and his Carolyn sitting in the library, talking. She was soon on her feet hugging and kissing him.

"Get a room," John grinned. "Glad to see you are back, she's been on pins the last few hours, going to the window every few minutes."

She grinned at him and stuck her tongue out. "We have a room," she jokingly retorted, "and if you can't sleep tonight wear ear plugs." She looked at James but when she saw his face lost her smile. "What's wrong?"

He cleared his throat and explained. It came as no surprise to John, he'd been expecting something of that magnitude to happen. "We need to go to Tenerife."

"I knew immediately I heard the report."

"You are not fit to go anywhere, John."

"Davidson is also in custody and will be there for life."

Carolyn's body stiffened. "I will sort it from here."

James was going to say something but looking at her contorted face thought it safer to keep his mouth closed.

"What's your estimate of the timescale before it starts to happen here?"

"Four to six weeks, could be longer. I didn't get the dates. From what I could glean from the reports the pathogen is airborne. I think the mutation of the virus has the hand of human intervention."

"Europe will be next," said John.

"I'm not so sure, for ease of distribution and population, I think India or China seemed a better bet to maximum impact."

John thought for a few moments. "Could be, but to cause maximum disruption and to spread fear, why not simultaneously target a few countries across Europe."

James walked to the drinks cabinet and poured out three glasses of whiskey. "Here, we need these," handing over the glasses. "I'll book tickets to Tenerife for a few days hence."

"We're all going," said John. "Look, I can still travel and Carolyn can see to my dressing, you are not doing this alone."

"Let's call it a night and we'll revisit tomorrow."

Carolyn looked at James and a shudder shot through her body realising to sort the problem here would mean that James would have to go back to do it there first. They had trapped themselves in a time warp of confusion and could only play out their hand and hope they held the trump cards, but first, she needed to sort Davidson and that she planned to do as soon as possible now that she knew interference from the other side had been muted.

When she first saw James, she was planning on a romantic night of passion but that had gone. Her mind locked into what stood in front of them and the task was monumental. She needed to think. Using their code, should she anonymously notify the authorities on what was about to happen? Matched against that would they lose control before they identified the people involved? The authorities would go in like rabid dogs. The following morning, after finding a note from Carolyn saying she'd be back late afternoon, James and John had breakfast.

"Let her sort Davidson."

James protested.

John shut him down. "She's more lethal than a bullet to the head. You've done your part now let her do hers, ask her no questions and let her get the job done."

"What has she said to you?"

"Only what you've heard when we discussed it last night."

"What if she is injured?"

John chuckled. "Injured! Don't worry, she could take that scumbag out with her eyes closed and one hand tied behind her back."

"Do you think she plans to kill him?"

"If she must; she will do what's needed to place him out of harm's way. We are talking about a man who has committed multiple rapes and murders, so let her get on with it and ask her no questions."

"We have no secrets, you know that."

"Let her tell you in her own time then."

Carolyn was sitting in her car at the supermarket watching as Davidson arrived for work; she followed him into the store walking round the shelves shopping. She wasn't sure how she wished to play it, whether to gather evidence and hand it over to the police or handle it herself; she knew James would put up a protest if she killed him in cold blood but she had no such compunction. He didn't deserve his place in the world but decided, if she could gather enough evidence, she'd hand him over to the police. When she went to the till, she asked to speak with the manager saying she had bought a tin of tomatoes and found a dead maggot inside knowing this would motivate him to meet with her to stave off the complaint going to head office. The checkout girl picked up the phone and her supervisor escorted Carolyn to his office.

"I'm not making a complaint," she smiled sweetly, "but I feel I should let you know."

His eyes stared at her; she was a stunning looking woman and his loins twitched. "Go and get a tin of tomatoes for the lady."

"Thank you, but I haven't brought the other tin for you to see. I wasn't after compensation but felt you should know."

The supervisor soon returned carrying a tin of tomatoes and handed the tin to her and left. Davidson also handed her a credit note for ten pounds to use against her next shop. "I, and the store, do apologise and I thank you most sincerely for reporting it to me," he smiled disarmingly.

He was acting the gentleman and his manner and deportment showed concern and genuine empathy. "If I see you on my travels, I'll make sure I reciprocate and buy you a drink as a thank you for the voucher." She left the store insuring he'd most certainly see her again.

That evening she followed him and watched as he entered a downtown cocktail bar. Twenty minutes later she entered, sat at the bar and ordered a drink and it wasn't long before he saw her and came to say hello.

She looked at him and smiled. "Well, twice in one day. Let me get you that drink I promised you."

"No need, let me get you one."

"No! I insist; gin and tonic suit you?"

"What are you doing here?"

"Waiting for my husband, he's been away and said to meet him here. First time I've been in here. We plan to go for a meal later."

His face dropped but it soon brightened. "Me too, first time," he replied, the first truth he'd told a woman in a long while. They talked for a while and she pretended to look around.

"What time are you expecting him?"

"Half an hour ago, normally he's punctual. He travels a lot as I do and sometimes we don't see each other for weeks on end. I'd better phone him and see what's keeping him, be back in a jiff." She walked to the door pretended to phone and returned. "He said he left me a message at home on the answering machine but I didn't get it, I haven't been home. He's stuck in a meeting and can't make it and said he'd be away for another few days. I'll stay, finish my drink and make my way home."

His eyes lit up, thinking manna from heaven. "I'm in no hurry to get anywhere."

"Me neither," she grinned. "I'm all dressed up with nowhere to go. I'll have another drink and order a taxi."

"Why don't you let me give you a lift?"

"No, wouldn't dream of putting you out, a taxi will do me fine."

He held his smile, trying desperately not to stare, holding his lust well hidden, straining to appear benign. "Meeting like this is fate."

She smiled demurely. "Could well be." She wore a knee-length green dress, the neckline showing her breasts to ample effect, light stockings and brown three-inch heels. She was by far the most attractive woman he'd seen in a long while and closed his eyes picturing himself bending her over and pounding her into oblivion as she helplessly screamed. He penis was hard and he adjusted himself to hide if from her but the more he pictured her in his mind the harder it got and it was driving him crazy. He was smiling and talking to her but his mind was between her legs with his hands around her throat squeezing. After her last breath, he would twist her round and pump his sperm into her dead lifeless body. There was something lustfully wonderful in being a necrophilic junky. A real turn on, he wryly grinned holding his false smile. "Let me get you another drink."

"I better be on my way."

He smiled sadly. "You win, one more drink and I'll order a taxi."

"I need to visit the ladies' room first."

He ordered her a triple gin and tonic and slipped a little something into it when the barman had his back to him. He could hardly wait, feeling uncomfortable and thought he would have to go in the toilet and masturbate as his urge for relief shook his tense body. She returned, he grinned and pointed toward her drink. "I hope that's to your liking."

"I should really eat something first," she smiled at him.

"She called over the barman and asked for the menu. "It looks as if I'm staying for more than one drink. If you need to go please don't stay on my account but if you want to join me for a meal you can, my husband won't be back until at least tomorrow and more than probably not even then. A few days to him is anything up to a week, so I intend to make a night of it." She knew he would stay and she also suspected her drink had been spiked and needed him to believe she had drunk it. As he turned to walk towards their table, she grabbed her drink, poured most of it into a plant pot, placed the glass to her mouth and pretended to take a large sip as he looked round at her. At the table, she placed her drink down and the waiter came to take their meal order and he asked for a bottle of house wine.

"I invited you so this bill is mine."

"No, I insist, besides I can charge it to my company expense account so neither of us pays."

She threw him her best smile. "In that case, I accept your generous offer."

"I've finished my drink. You still have some left," he casually reminded. Finish it and we'll start on the wine rather than mix them."

She pretended to take a sip. "Yuk! I think I need some more ice in it." With her glass in her hand, she stood and walked towards the bar. She gave it to the barman and asked for more ice, whispering to him to tip the contents out and half fill it with water and ice. He gave it to her, she mouthed a thank you, returned to the table and took a large sip from the glass. "Better, much better. A gin and tonic should always be cold." The food arrived a few minutes later and she finished her drink before starting to eat."

Halfway through the meal she yawned, "I'm feeling a little off colour, I think I should ease up on the wine."

His smile was now one of success. "Are you feeling all right?" showing concern. The bar was buzzing with activity, some of the groups a little rumbustious.

"I'm fine, just a little tired."

He called the waiter over and paid the bill. "I think a little fresh air will be in order."

She mumbled to him to order a taxi. He gave a devious grin and helped her to stand. "No worries, I'll take you home."

"Where's my bag? Oh, there it is in my hand, silly me. Where's my taxi?" she slurred.

Outside it was dark and with his arms around her waist he walked her to his car grinning all the while. She was now his and he would take full advantage of this beautiful woman. They reached his car and he shuffled her into the back, jumped into the driving seat and drove away, having no worries about her waking up, there was enough of the sleeping drug to knock her out for quite a while. He undid his zip and pulled out his penis and started to pleasure himself while keeping the other hand on the driving wheel. He drove up a mountain road and parked overlooking a long-abandoned quarry filled with water.

She was ready for him, and angry, very angry, yet calm and focused, waiting for him to touch her before she struck. He opened the back door of the car, pulled up her skirt and moved his hands towards her red panties. As he touched them, her foot struck him full in the face followed rapidly by her other foot knocking him out of the car onto the floor, nose broken. Quicker than the strike of a cobra, she was upon him delivering power jabs to his throat and stamped on his ankle hearing the crunch as the bone broke.

Holding his hands to his face, he mumbled, "I'll sue you, bitch," spitting blood.

"You drugged and tried to rape me," she calmly spoke looking at him lying on the floor in obvious pain.

"Prove it," he challenged.

I know you are the rapist and murderer the police are looking for, and I know of the person you stabbed when he stopped you raping that woman," still speaking in a calm controlled voice.

She was ready, waiting for him to draw the knife. "Look, another car!" he shouted, drew his knife, and lunged, missing her by a wide margin. She kicked out at his arm and he fell upon the knife. "Help me," he cried, holding his stomach.

"I'll help you as much as you helped my brother," staring into his eyes. At that moment, he knew he'd seen his last day. She sat just inside the car without speaking and waited as he bled out.

He tried to crawl away but his energy had gone. She moved him into the driving seat of the car, strapped him in leaving the knife embedded in his chest and jumped into the front passenger seat. He looked at her. "What are you waiting for, kill me. You set me up to die, didn't you?"

"Yes," she coldly answered, "I'm your assassin, the debauchery stops here."

"I'm glad in a way but I can't help it. I feel a repugnance against myself." As he spoke, he appeared to have shrunk, to have collapsed inside himself. A recognition that he deserved to die. Where there had been drive earlier that evening now in its place resided despair, with his confidence humbled from hubris to resignation of his fate.

"We make choices, you chose to rape and murder. So, yes, you can help it."

"I have a wife and two children whom I love."

"Those whose lives you destroyed and murdered they also had loved ones," the hardness in her voice obvious.

He slightly turned his head. "I know you owe me nothing. I'm going to end up at the bottom of the quarry in the water." She nodded her head. "It's deep you know," his voice faltering. "Can you just let me go, let me disappear, save my wife and children from humiliation? They love me and..." his eyes closed. She waited a few minutes, checked his pulse, removed the knife, got out of the car, released the hand break, closed the door, and gave the car a push and saw it disappearing over the edge. She stood, and by the light of the moon, watched as the water swallowed up the car leaving not a trace that it had ever been there. Wiping the knife of fingerprints, she walked to the opposite side of the quarry and threw the knife into the depths. She walked for an hour barefooted carrying her shoes in her hand and when near a pub phoned for a taxi asking him to drop her off near the monument and walked the rest of the way to her house. James jumped from his chair when he saw her. She kissed him on the cheek, undressed, handed him her clothes and shoes, and naked walked towards the door, turned and said. "don't ask, I need a shower. Burn the clothes and shoes in the incinerator and come to bed, I need some loving tonight, Davidson is no longer a problem and I need you to take me to pick up my car tomorrow."

A few days later they were on a plane heading towards Tenerife.

12