Ghost In The Mansion

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"That's the clerk here at the public records office," Nathan explained.

"He was just a cousin."

"Ma'am, your cousin survived the wreck of the Everton paddle steamer," the clerk exclaimed.

"The what? The Ever- oh yes, child, I forgot about that. He did, he worked on that boat."

"Miss Clara, Roland dated Lisandra Engelhardt, that wreck is why she killed herself," Kori added.

"That ghost lady?"

"Yes ma'am."

"Granny, this old man told us that she and Roland were supposed to run away together when he got back in town, but the boat blew up. By the time he got back, Lisandra had died," Nathan explained.

"I remember the boat blowing up, but that was all before my time. Baby, if that's true... hold on, let me call Wanita, she might know if he dated that woman."

"Okay granny, love you."

"bye, miss Clara."

"Love you babies, bye-bye," she hung up.

"I think he dated her," the clerk spoke up.

"I wish there was proof in the records," Kori huffed.

"There wouldn't have been. Back then their relationship would not be okay. You go Lisandra with your jungle fever! If I had a man that looked like you, I wouldn't be able to keep my mouth shut- you and ol' Lizzy got me jealous," the clerk explained.

Kori laughed.

"Ooo... that jungle fever and there's only one kinda shot that fixes it- shoot, I am so sorry, here I am being unprofessional."

"It's okay," Kori giggled.

"Yeah, we won't say shit. You're a grown man, not a machine."

"I'm just excited. You should tell the news or something."

"I'd rather not get accosted when I really don't know more than what we do, or be made a fool."

"This would put all the rumors to rest."

"If people believed it. That old man said nobody ever believed him, turned out he was right. Hell, I didn't believe this shit either until last night when we went in that house."

"You went in‽ What happened‽"

"He pissed her off and we literally got tossed out. I was even recording and she messed up my video," Kori told him.

"Can I see it?"

"Sure. I uploaded to YouTube last night, anyway," she pulled out her phone.

"What are you two going to do?"

"My plan- our plans to see if we can help her move on, maybe hear her side of the story."

"If we can get back in," he added.

They watched the video, Nathan saw where the bedroom door shut, like she said. The clerk gasped at the moment Lisandra started to confront them.

"And that's when my phone turned off."

"She really was angry."

"She kept saying we were unbelievers and that there were liars- the spots where the audio kept acting up."

"That's crazy."

"We were covered in dust and everything. She drug me by my hair, pushed us around... I don't know what she did to him in the living room."

"Knocked me around and threw that bat at me."

"You two really wanna go back? Even if you could record the interview, you're right; not many would believe a ghost just sat and talked to you."

Nathans phone rang, he put it on speaker.

"Granny?"

"Nate, baby... I was just talking to Wanita, you know she still has one of the families houses- that house was the house Roland lived in and she said there's still a few things of his stowed in the basement. She had Darius and Darryl bring it all up. Our cousin Roland was with that ghost woman."

"Really," he exclaimed.

"I knew it," Kori proclaimed.

"Mm-hmmm... there was pictures of the two... love letters... chil' you is spittin' image, I tell you. Whew, when I saw that picture they sent of him."

"We saw it too."

"It's so tragic what happened to him and Lisandra, that just wasn't it back then. Ya know; it's funny in how them white folks that slaved us always wanted a piece, but when we wanted they lilly white asses, it was wrong somehow."

"Hypocrites," the clerk yelled.

"Mmm-hmm, what you said! Times change though... now it ain't no big deal, you and Kora can do yall thing."

"Yeah, granny," he mentally rolled his eyes.

"What did yall wanna know about Roland for?"

"I don't think you'd believe us if we told you."

"Went up in that house and saw huh? Better be careful."

"Miss Clara, we think that old man was right. Lisandra is upset she lost Roland, either she killed herself or her family did it," Kori explained.

"Broken heart what did it. Wanita said in his journal that they didn't tell him she died, the wake was in tha house, like they used to, the fuunral was no blacks cemetary. Poor Roland lost his mind and spent time in a crazy hospital. Mmm... that po boy."

"Thanks so much, Granny."

"You know I'm here for you and Kora, baby. Is that one of your friends house you ova?"

"No, we're at the Public Records place. We went researchin' at the library and saw that boat wreck happened around the same time she died, that old man said her boyfriend worked on a boat, so we came here."

"I think I know what old man you talkin' bout. That old white man- he was old before I was. He still alive‽"

"Seems that way."

"Okay, yall need something else, I'll give you Wanita's numbuh. My shows bout to come on."

"Okay granny, you take care."

"Yall be careful with that ghost, the lawd can't even touch that house, ya hear me?"

"Yes ma'am."

"Talk at ya later, bye-bye."

"Bye granny."

"Bye, miss Clara."

Nathan hung up, "I still don't believe it."

"She seems nice," the clerk said.

"She is," Kori said.

"How did you get the last name Schneider?"

"Something about the people that owned us were German and gave us their last name. It's weird, I know."

"At least it isn't Spangler."

"Yeah."

"I could probably print this stuff out, if you need it."

"Thanks. If it ever comes to that and I hope it doesn't," Nathan said.

"I'm getting hungry," Kori said.

"Me too."

"Go eat. We'll be closing soon, anyway. I did enjoy the company, though."

"Yeah, you aieght."

"Thanks for believing us."

"Girl, I eat this stuff up. Plus I might get interviewed if this makes the news, catch some guys eye, whew!"

Kori and Nathan laughed.

"You have a good day, man," Nathan said.

"Yall too."

They both got in the car, he sat there a moment.

"This is wild, Kor."

"You almost being related to Lisandra?"

"It's a bit to take in, I wonder if my parents know."

She shrugged, "I bet if we tell her you're Roland's cousin, she might not try and kill us again."

"I think we should talk to her, at least try," he started the car and drove off.

At a diner that was often the spot for their friends and them, food was on their mind as they walked in.

"Date night with the wife," somebody yelled.

"Please Luke," he sighed.

"Kori girl! People were saying that ghost was really at it last night."

"I know, Amanda... we were there."

"No shit‽"

"Scary as fuck."

"Liar, you wasn't there."

"Yeah... we were in there, Wendy. Got thrown out by her," Nathan said.

"When did you start believing that ghost stuff, Nate," Luke asked.

"When it tossed me on my ass outside."

"Dragged me through the house by my damn hair," Kori added.

"Damn, see... shouldn't have went in there."

"Yeah, well, we gotta go back, Sandra."

"Why‽"

"We found out who her boyfriend was," Nathan explained.

"Who," Wendy and Amanda asked.

"My cousin."

"Your cousin," Amanda exclaimed.

"Dude, your cousin killed Lisandra," Luke yelled.

They sat down with the girls and ordered.

"No he didn't kill her."

"That old white man told us the truth," Kori said.

"That crackpot thinks he's the expert. He got on me just for looking at that ugly ass house."

"We looked stuff up, Clark. We don't know how she died, but he knew Roland's name and said they were going to start a life together when he got back from working on that boat," Kori explained.

"I'm surprised he even remembers that far back," Luke stated.

"It's all he ever talks about," Amanda laughed.

"Yall know about the Everton steamer, right," Nathan asked.

"Who don't," Clark rolled his eyes.

"We just came back from the public records and my cousin worked on that boat, it blew up the night he went out when they were supposed to run away. I talked to my granny, she called our cousin who still lives in Roland's house, there's pictures of them and love letters from Lisandra."

"Yo! For real," Clark exclaimed.

"His cousin has a bunch of his old stuff. We still can't believe it!"

"So you're telling me the ghost is real... and you were almost related to it," Luke asked.

"I didn't believe this ghost shit either, until last night. She's real. She kept yelling that people were lying and were unbelievers."

"I even got proof... kinda," Kori pulled her phone out again.

They watched the video play through and were all amazed, at least at the fact they were there, bringing some truth to the rumors. Eventually conversation went elsewhere. A few more people they knew came in and they had to rehash the conversation and video again. Some talked about wanting to go with them when they went back to the mansion. Night was creeping up on them, Nathan and Kori knew the time was coming up to go back to see Lisandra.

"The witching hours coming soon, you two," Vikki teased.

"Better get going," Cici added.

"Hey, yo Kori, she might take ya man," Jaquan laughed.

"No gag reflex," Luke laughed.

"You can't have sex with a ghost... can you," Amanda wondered.

"So it can throw them around but not fuck," Clark asked.

"I don't know," she replied.

"There's not gonna be any sex, you weirdos," Kori exclaimed.

"She might not even let us in," Nathan added.

"You might not want to go back in, she probably remembers you calling her a bitch," Wendy stated.

"Ain't gonna be no ghost sex, she said," Clark laughed.

"We'll be leaving soon," Nathan said.

"Everybody say your goodbyes," Wendy said.

"They want round two," Vikki laughed.

The two spent another half hour with them in the parking lot before getting ready to leave. Although there was jokes, even those who didn't really believe made it paramount that they should be careful messing around in that house.

Chapter 4

As much as they wanted to do it, the closer they got, the more anxious they got and rode in silence, other than the radio playing. Nathan pulled in next to the carriage house again, they looked at the house as if waiting for Lisandra to greet them like old friends. The engine idle alone could've gotten her attention. Time seemed to stand still and Nathan felt like he could clearly hear every pulse of the engine, individually, he turned the car off.

He sat is hand on top of hers, "let's do this."

They take their time getting out, slowly walked towards the back door, up the creaky steps. With hesitation, Nathan turned the knob and pushed the door just over an inch before it was forcibly pushed shut and locked. They exchanged glances, Kori furrowed her brow.

"Lis... Lisandra? Please open the door... we just wanna talk to you," Kori spoke loudly.

There was a loud bang on the door that made them jump.

"I swear we just want to talk, Lisandra."

"Lisandra I'm sorry for my actions last night. I shouldn't have said those things, okay? I was being foolish," Nathan spoke loudly.

"We were wrong... everybody is wrong about you and Roland!"

The doorknob quickly turned and the door slowly opened halfway, seemingly on its own. Kori approached with caution, Nathan had a grip on her bicep.

"We know you're mad- you should be," she crept inside, "please don't hurt us again."

"We learned our lesson."

"We want to hear your side of the story... we're believers, Lisandra, we know the truth."

There was cold silence as the door gently closed and locked, sending chills down their spine. They looked around.

"Truth," a disembodied voice spoke.

"Ye-yes ma'am. You were right... the things people say is wrong. We told our friends what we found out happened and we'll tell anybody else," she nervously spoke.

"Tell them?"

"Tell them that Roland was a good man- if you wish."

"We found the information today... he didn't use you... he- the steamer had a catastrophic failure, it wasn't his fault," Nathan added.

They were too scared to move.

"Did your family kill you, Lisandra," she asked.

"No!"

"Please tell us what happened. We're here to listen to you, no judgement."

"We trying to make things right."

"I'm afraid... it was I," she spoke quietly as she walked from a room, "I killed myself."

They saw her plain as day, she briefly looked at them with sorrow.

"Why," Nathan asked.

"It was an accident. I was oh so distraught."

"I'm so sorry, Lisandra... I would hug you if I could. You didn't deserve to go out that way," Kori spoke mournfully.

The woman in the long skirt, Bertha Chemisette, hair down her back just couldn't face them, slender hands covered her face in shame.

"I needed to quell my heartache... I remember my parents tell me Roland would not be back, but wouldn't speak any more about it."

"The steamers boiler exploded," Nathan said.

"I went to purchase laudanum and opium pills. I took one of my fathers bottle of brandy, I desired not to feel such strife. Locked myself in my room, had the laudanum with the Brandy and took two opium pills before I went to sleep. I wanted Roland to wake me up and whisk me away to a new life, nothing we had mattered without him."

"You two were gonna leave and start a new life, right," Kori asked.

"That's right. I started to lose track of time... days. My heart still hurt, so I took more laudanum, it wasn't working as it should have. I didn't want to eat after so long. I remember getting up to buy more... and I fell to the floor... I couldn't get up. I saw myself laying there, I saw them break down the door and carry me away, but I was standing right there, my mother, brother, family cried. I realized and excuse my language; was bloody fucking dead. Standing a specter unseen."

Kori had started crying the moment she said she fell, "I'm sorry, so, so sorry Lisandra! It's not fair! I want to help you leave this place and find peace."

"I don't think I'll find peace without my Roland."

"Maybe... we can figure it out? Until then... maybe we can be friends, so you're not alone all the time," she sobbed.

"Friends with the dead?"

"I don't think you're a bad person. My names Kori and this is my friend, Na-"

"Roland," she looked up in surprise.

"Huh‽ No, Roland was my-"

Lisandra moved unnaturally fast to Nathan, scaring them both, Kori moved out of the way, when she passed through her.

"Roland how are you here‽ And this Kori; your new flame, did you come to rub this in my face," she started to grow annoyed.

"No, no, no!"

Kori pleaded with her mouth, "go with it."

"Kori is my friend. I... umm," he looked at Kori who waved him on, "I could never love another woman, I swear it!"

"Honest? You have not sought out another," she grabbed his hands, which surprised him.

"You were... my sun that woke me up, my moon that lay me to sleep. How could I love another?"

"That makes me so happy to hear- elated!"

When Lisandra's mood lightened, everything seemed to flicker.

"Lisandra, there's no attraction or romance between Roland and I. The way he described you, even if I fancied him, I knew I could never measure up to you and your beauty."

"She's new around here, I was giving her the tour. The rumors of me playing you the fool id nothing but rumors."

"I knew it, I missed you so much, my love!"

When she hugged him, everything flickered and shifted, they looked around and saw a completely restored house, even more baffling; Lisandra was solid and looked alive.

"Yes, your home is so beautiful, I just had to see it, and meet you, of course."

When she let go, everything reverted back.

"Tell me, darling... is the story of your steamer true?"

"It is. We were about five miles from port when the boilers exploded on the Everton. I had went up top on my break when it happened. I'll, umm, spare your delicate sensibilities the details, but it was horrible. Some of us got blown in the river, we helped who we could and found our way to port as the Everton burnt to cinder. After three days we were brought back here. Your parents wouldn't let me see you. I found out what happened way too late."

"He was torn over it," Kori added.

"I was so lost, my family had me committed."

"Oh no," she gasped.

"It was horrible, but didn't compare to losing you, Lisandra."

"Now he's back for you. You can put it all behind you."

Lisandra smiled and everything shifted, he looked at Kori, who looked like a ghost, before it all shifted back.

"She's right."

"He saved himself," Kori started as Lisandra's joy shfted everything, voice faded.

"You saved yourself for me," she spoke as Kori spoke.

"I did. That... that bomb of a boat couldn't keep me from you."

Death didn't stop you," Kori's voice echoed and came to focus, when things shifted back.

"I couldn't leave this place without you."

"Not even death could," Kori's voice echoed, she faded as it all shifted again.

"Not even death could keep me away," she spoke over Kori.

Nathan looked around and didn't see her.

"Don't worry... we're alone here."

"I see that," he replied with concern.

"I have dreamed of seeing you again, I've been so alone these years," she frowned, shifting everything back, "watched my family move on, other people live here... but nobody has dwelled here in a long time."

Kori looked at her hands and around when she reappeared.

"That sounds very sad."

"Where do you go when- how should I even put this; it seems that every so many years you reappear and are very active enough to be noticed. Where are you when... not active, I guess," Kori asked.

Lisandra looked at her confused, slowly processing what she was trying to ask, "if I am to understand your question, the answer is that I'm still here. Always here, always watching. Sometimes I spend time in the carriage house, how much time, I'm not aware, I just see the days, nights, seasons change."

"I hope this visit of ours is one of the better ones."

"It is, Kori. I'm actually happy to be here," she smiled and everything flickered, "especially because I can see my Roland again."

"After all this time," she and Kori started to speak, Lisandra's joy shifted the house again and Kori watched herself flicker and fade.

"... we meet again. Would you like to continue where we left off?"

"Where we left off," he looked confused.

"Yes darling... did you forget? You didn't forget did you," she looked worried and the house shifted back.

"We were going to run away and start our new life, yes?"

"Yes," she nodded.

"Get married somehow."

"If we could."

"There wasn't anything else was there?"

"The other part of the plan, darling."

"Was it something about if you cou-," Kori started before she faded again.

"If we could not get married, to consummate our love, anyway. You know how hard it is for mixed race couples to wed. I was of course keeping myself chaste until marriage, but if we could not find a church, I intended to allow you to take my virginity anyway, because of the impossible task of finding a church."

"I see."

Lisandra frowned again and the house shifted back.

"Are we going to do it?"

"Take your virginity?"

"You still desire me, do you not?"

"I do, I am just... well discussing such a private matter in front of company."

"You're right," she gasped.

"Don't worry about me. You've waited this long, a lady might lose some decorum," Kori stated.

"Kori," he looked at her.

"Na- Roland... what's more important; me or Lisandra- the love of your life?"