All Comments on 'Gigi and Frenchie'

by justbobkc

Sort by:
  • 26 Comments
AnonymousAnonymousabout 8 years ago
Just some macho shit

Soldier boy cop shit. Non-erotic and boring as hell. GI Joe cartoons are better

AnonymousAnonymousabout 8 years ago
And maybe this whole S.W.A.T. tale will continue at some point...

please no, please?

impo_61impo_61about 8 years ago
I liked it...

I liked it...A story about people, their mistakes, their dark hours, their skeletons...3*

smmhomesmmhomeabout 8 years ago
She leaves wounded man behind

Why can’t your male leads ever seek/find happiness with a good woman after the one they loved totally abandons them and destroys any notion of fidelity, love, caring, commitment, friendship, decency (e.g. turning your kids against you in “Special Weapons and Tactics”). Nope, these strong military men are all destined for RAAC – or at least, in this case, ends with a strong hint that it wants to be… that is Frenchie’s future as he certainly can’t possibly find another woman that he might have an interest in.

Notice that I put abandonment first (even before fidelity). I don’t understand how Frenchie (i.e., the character as you created him to be) could be remotely interested in starting a relationship again with a woman who left her (literally) wounded man behind.

I guess if anyone could convince him to do so, it would be Susan. “Hey, it was the lights…. I was hypnotized… it was… um… hormonal imbalance… I’ll just take one of Susan’s pills and I’ll be good from now on…”

I get how the sex could … be gotten past. Even the desire to seek fame in Hollywood… that (and the immaturity) could be understood, and ultimately forgiven (forgiveness does not = RAAC). But the abandonment, the coldness (no calls, no interest)? I can’t imagine a version of reality where Frenchie would allow himself to become emotionally vulnerable to that woman again. Separate Lives by Longhorn__07 presents a somewhat similar scenario, but it’s a far more believable reconciliation. You seem to be going down the path of some of DQS’ lesser efforts that suffer from forcing two characters to RAAC – even when reconciliation feels false. Frenchie needs some good counselling… because to give Gigi another shot would be masochistic. What on earth would give Frenchie any basis to believe (not in his rational brain, but in his more primal lizard brain) that Gigi won’t get another bee up her bonnet and take off again?

I almost wanted to write this feedback after “Special Weapons and Tactics” (because the same can be said of that RAAC), but with the kids to consider, I let it slide… but I believe you can do better.

I might also suggest you stop writing from the female’s perspective… too much foreshadowing of a RAAC, and it doesn’t really help me feel more empathy for the female lead. Something about hearing the events through their eyes makes me dislike them even more.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 8 years ago
one commenter mentioned macho shit, where? All I see is wimp shit, RAAC, cuck!

If a woman actually loved a man, what Gigi did, what Susan did, would never have happened. 3*, if you want to write more, make it more realistic and stop bringing whores back into good men's lives.

LordSlamdawggLordSlamdawggabout 8 years ago
Good Story for Network TV

Heavy on violence and light on graphic sex. The tale started out very well as I'm a bit of a military history buff. It downshifted to less intense but still intriguing gear. Somehow I think the reveal and payback about Miriam should have happened at end of installment instead of beginning. Yet I like justbobkc's knack of relating gritty details and not demonizing ( yet not excusing ) falliabilities of cheating characters.

The story entertained me and yet dabbled with multiple heavy issues. I thank the author for sharing.

TheKrrakTheKrrakabout 8 years ago
And maybe this whole S.W.A.T. tale will continue at some point...

Please continue, not only to totally annoy the juvenile anon's but the characters are really developing well and I, for one, would love to see more of their trials and tribulations - but please remember that not every relationship needs to be a damaged one - some of these stories can go into other categories, such as erotic couplings, mature, etc etc.

5/5

AnonymousAnonymousabout 8 years ago
1*

more cuck shit. DUMB cuck shit. extremely stupid women. and some shitty action.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 8 years ago
You really need some better characters

Talk about a bunch of wimps and bitches. Not entertaining to read.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 8 years ago
The classic comedy of errors, in this case non-communication was a major element....

.....in what amounted to a very sad story.

I personally liked how Frenchie handled her return and attempt at reconciliation.

No blood, no scorched earth, just, "Ah, you go on now, I've got a life to live."...even if he didn't, he did.

I might be nice to resurrect this story line at some point, but I'd give it some time to evolve? I got the feeling you weren't as passionate about this on as most.

So it came off a little formularian....forced in spots.

Nothing bad or by way of complaint, just a little less enthused myself, this time.

Thank you.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 8 years ago
I will keep reading

I like your overall writing style and the effort you put into building your character's background with some detail.

However, for a woman to leave her wounded husband in the hospital to chase her dreams of success and sex...then to return and be accepted back by that "close knit" Cajun group at a party seems way off. I think she would have gotten the "cold shoulder" and "slut" treatment by everyone in town..including the priest!

Not sure if I like where this story is headed but like my title...I will keep reading...this is a 3 for me.

Thanks for the story.

"Buckeye Fan"

AnonymousAnonymousabout 8 years ago
"I was real stupid and just assumed too much." That is pretty much your basic plot device.

Which works, I guess, but its mundane and boring. Oh, I made a mistake. So what is erotic or dramatic about stupid people doing stupid stuff to themselves and each other? Relationships that are shallow and manipulative. Communication that is incomplete, inaccurate, or non-existent. Marriages that are tepid, distant, and taken for granted. This is the making of a really predictable and contrived soap opera. But soap opera's do sell air time, and have large audiences, and run for years, so maybe you're doing OK. I was hoping for more.

But thanks for the time and effort. This is better than average, maybe a B? That's not too shabby.

And while I do hope you improve on the plausibility, logical behavior, and believable character traits, please continue to RAAC or BTB as you see fit. I don't care where you take us, just as long as its a quality ride.

EddboyEddboyabout 8 years ago
@ anon

Gigi was accepted back by her sister and Susan-- who also cheated on her husband in Bobs other story, so im sure she didnt want to be a hypocrite. Not sure why he'd say he would take up with Susan if John ever left her since she cheated on him though.....

maninconnmaninconnabout 8 years ago
Liked it

I vote for more Cajun swats.

AnonymousAnonymousover 7 years ago
Research

If you ever write anything to do with the military again...research it!!!!

OMG you mixed stuff from army and Air Force and some stuff was pure dream land. Your concept was ok but there are times where following you is about as workable as a soup sandwich.

OnethirdOnethirdover 7 years ago
Maybe part 1

Good insight into those two. Amazing how immature Gigi was- pretty sad those two never talked much, since clearly they didn't have an accurate picture to base a loving relationship on. Geez, those veteran inaccuracies are pesky- hard to please everybody but I know I have my areas of expertise that I am sensitive to. Guns and military seem to be danger spots to writers on this site. I hope to see more of Gigi and Frenchy. She needs to grow up, and he needs to settle down a bit and maybe think in a family way. Finding out she had an abortion might be a sticking point for them both and I think there ar som bumps down the road. Looking forward to it.

AnonymousAnonymousover 7 years ago
Let it go

To reconcile Frenchie and Gigi would be a travesty of the highest order. Probably a good idea to end it here. Let the characters go while they still have a little self respect.

justbobkcjustbobkcover 7 years agoAuthor
Military research issue.

I very much DID research this issue online at several sites dealing with Army career paths, including specialties and ranks/ratings.

Unfortunately the sites were all just current information and not historical - when the current system was actually put in place.

It's possible I messed that up a bit in the "looking at history backwards" common kind of error.

I do apologize to all those that have served in the time frames of this story if this is the case.

justbobkcjustbobkcalmost 7 years agoAuthor
Army ranks

Per wikipedia "E" Army ranks have been around since the 1950's.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_Army_enlisted_rank_insignia#1956.E2.80.931985

I have never served myself and would never ever try to claim that I have.

But I HAVE read a whole lot of military themed books - from history to strategy and tactics, to numerous biographies and autobiographies, to fiction. The nitty-gritty details of administrative paperwork is often ignored - like precise E levels (E=enlisted) associated with all the named ranks, and then further sub-specialized categories. Which is exactly why I had to research some of this before attempting writing this short story.

Kinda wish all the hypercritical Anonys were JUST a little more accurate in their own criticisms. But why worry about accuracy when you, yourself are "anonymous"?

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 5 years ago
Holy fuck, even more boring than S.W.A.T.

I didn’t think that was possible.

cybojicybojiover 4 years ago
Great characters

More please. Dont let the jerks get you down.5

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 4 years ago
It was good

Another sad story with sad characters. I really like your writing style but I think it ruins your stories when every woman can’t wait to lose herself in what they expect is consequence free hedonism. You wrote Gigi as a smart loving woman and then she throws it all away for thrills and gang bangs. I think you’re a good writer and you could have dialled it back and expanded the story and her motivations. There was a bit of story that didn’t go anywhere, was unnecessary, and could have been simplified. And it felt rushed. I appreciate that this wasn’t another Wolf of Wallstreet type dominating and controlling sadist characters which is used way too much it has become ordinary and lame. I think you have talent, And I think your characters feel very real and natural when your stories flow well. It falls apart for me when the characters and story gets forced into excessive debauchery that is too out of character.

It’s been a few years, so I guess we won’t see anymore Gigi and Frenchie stories, but I wish you would. Cheers

WargamerWargamerover 2 years ago

Gigi got what she deserved nothing more, nothing less. Good to see Susan and John in there though.

4/5

AnonymousAnonymousover 2 years ago

Dumping a certifiably crazy bitch like Susan would make John stupid? What will this simp think of next?

AnonymousAnonymous12 months ago

A very very good story with some different texture. Probably a bit too much human nuance for the trolls that gang up on this site. Much like the knuckle dragger below. Note to you knuckledrager, Susan was mentally ill. As in sick dumbshit; it’s real. So, she sought help, worked intensively hard for redemption, and re-committed herself fully to her husband and children, doing everything humanly possible to make things right, as a mother, wife, friend, and counselor to her husband’s colleagues in their brutal line of work, who benefit from her counsel, wisdom, and soothing kindness. And she’s a babe, and if she’s crazy, I’d take her and self awareness anyway.,Dunmass below sounds like a JFO wannabe. No thanks. I’d take my chances with Susan, as her not wimpy husband is happily doing, if cautiously. He would be stupid, indeed, not to keep her in this state. Real stupid, which he’s not.

AnonymousAnonymous3 months ago

Good story. Great with details (well except ignoring that the North Vietnamese were willing to lose over 1 millions soldiers and about 1.5 million civilians). But the whole betrayal by Gigi just came off as vapid. She was clearly immature and never grew up. Maybe she will going forward, but walking out on him in the hospital to purse the actor was crazy. To readers of the other main story arc in thr SWAT universe. There is no comparison between Gigi and Susan. Susan had a serious mental illness but she paid dearly for her mistakes (including being repeatedly drugged and raped) and bad choices and she never stopped loving John. She overcame her disease and truly atoned. Gigi is just meh. Felt bad for Frenchie. He deserves better. 4 stars.

Anonymous
Our Comments Policy is available in the Lit FAQ
Post as:
Anonymous