Give Me One Reason

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"I'm not usually rude," I said. "It's being in the company of a creature I hate that makes me that way."

"Still got that mouth," he snarled. "Someday..."

"What? Someday I'll beat the fuck out you again?"

He relapsed into a sulky silence, but not for long. I put up with him for about 15 minutes, then I dug out my ear buds and played music while I watched.

Tai lost in the final, her serve deserting her at a critical time, but she was happy with the results. After she showered, she came to get me. She noticed Dan and frowned. "Dan, I didn't know you were coming."

"Why do you always call me 'Dan?'" he complained. "I'm your father. It's hard for me to come when you don't even tell me you're playing."

"How did you find out?" she asked.

"Melissa mentioned it," he said. Melissa was Tai's half-sister.

"I guess I'll have to tell her less things," Tai said.

"I come to see my daughter play tennis, and all I get is hostility," he said.

"Yeah, but it's the reason you came," she said. "You just wanted to fuck with Mom, or you needed money?"

He threw up his hands and stalked off, muttering to himself.

She ignored him and hugged me. "I played good, huh, Mom?"

"You did. Are you happy?"

"Very," she said. That's all that mattered to me, and we celebrated with burgers and good shakes.

She had a date that evening, and I just chilled around the house in panties, with my tiddies out. I had never met a woman who didn't look forward to taking off her bra, and I was typical in that regard. Tai dragged me off to church Sunday morning, we cooked lunch together and played Elden Ring until midnight.

Landan called the office Monday afternoon, and I spoke with him briefly.

"Carter Blackwell," he said. "I still can't get used to calling and actually being put through."

"Hey, I'm always eager to talk to union thugs," I said. "You're not special."

He laughed. I was hoping to hear that bass rumble. "Well, I talked to the real thugs. When would you be available for a meeting?"

"I have no idea," I said. "My PA will know. I'll transfer you back to her and she'll let me know, okay?"

I met with Landan and two other guys on Thursday afternoon. One of them, a dude named Garner, was an attorney, and clearly affronted that I was getting involved. I knew of him, and didn't like what I'd heard. Jack Drew was the vice president of the local, and it was a big local. I liked him right away.

We negotiated. They wanted me, for sure. Well, Garner didn't, but he wasn't calling the shots. Jack Drew and Landan did, and although I think they were a little shocked at how expensive I was, they bit the bullet.

"I have to ask you, Ms. Blackwell, do you think the contract we sign will be worth your compensation?" Garner asked.

"That's my plan," I said. "I've been over the numbers. Junk dude (Landan snorted) is making obscene profits. The industry average is about 10.4 percent for transportation costs. He's paying your people 6.2 percent. I understand we are looking for incremental gains, but if I can't get you the industry average, I'll consider that a fail. Are you willing to take a stand?"

"For a four percent increase? We'll stand on our heads," Drew said.

"How much were you thinking you could get?" I asked Garner.

"At least that," he said.

Landan laughed. "If that's the case, why are we at 6.2 now?"

Garner shifted around uncomfortably, refusing to meet anyone's eyes. "We had to get our foot in the door last time," he said.

"Seems more like you were peeking in the window," I said. "What you're going to pay me is less than one percent of that four percent for the first year," I said.

Drew stood up and shook my hand. "Are you good working with Drake?"

I nodded. "I am. I think you have a good rep. It's my thought people look at him and underestimate him. He's perfect."

Landan gave me a big smile, and I could tell he liked that. I liked that he would be the face, and I could swing the big stick.

We worked on the contract for a month, and I saw a lot of him. It went up to the big shots, they approved and it went to a vote. I'm pretty sure not one of the rank and file voted against it.

I was sure Cross had wind of it, but I really wasn't worried about him. He turned out to be just the sort of cock-swapping thundercunt I knew he was going to be. Landan laughed himself into hysterics when I mentioned it to him.

"Oh, my god, you are perfect, Carter," he gasped. "'Thundercunt!' Where do you come up with that shit?"

"My daughter," I told him.

"You have a daughter?"

"I do." I showed him a picture of Tai on my iPad.

"My god, she's as beautiful as you are! Does she have a boyfriend?"

"Yes, about a dozen, I think," I said. "Put your pecker away or I'll snatch it off."

He looked embarrassed. "I wasn't perving on her," he quickly said. "I was just saying."

"I was joking," I assured him.

Cross made everything difficult. He wouldn't agree on a time, then a place. He didn't want to meet during the day, because it would "disrupt the work day." He didn't want to pay his people to attend the negotiations. He wanted to meet at his warehouse, to which I was adamantly opposed.

He wouldn't meet at the union hall or my office, and wouldn't agree to split the costs of a conference room at a hotel. None of the dates we proposed would work for him.

After two months of sparring, I filed an unfair labor practices charge. That got his attention and suddenly we were negotiating. He was actually asking for concessions.

Landan was our spokesman, and he dismantled their team with the facts, figures and stats.

"Mr. Cross, your annual salary as CEO is just over six million a year," Landan said. "That's just your salary. Your drivers are earning $63,000. That's the low end in the industry. The high end is $90,000. We aren't asking for the moon."

Cross was having none of it. Landan whispered to me. "The guy isn't going to budge. What do you think?"

I did some figuring, came up with a number and shoved the paper across to him. I leaned close and whispered. He smelled nice, I noticed. "This is the bottom line we should accept. Offer him three percent above that bottom figure. If he doesn't counter offer, you're going to have to strike."

Cross wasn't interested in bargaining, so we walked. I filed a suit the next day, showing that he wasn't bargaining in good faith, the workers voted and went out on strike. After two weeks of stalemate, Cross caved. I knew he would. The man was a bully, and bullies always cave when you stand up to them.

The workers were happy, the Teamster big shots were happy and I was happy. I broke it off in Cross's ass, and maybe he'd learn. Actually, I was sure he wouldn't. I was on to other things.

Two weeks later, Landan called. I really wasn't expecting to hear from him again. He asked if we could have an early dinner that Friday night.

"Well, that does sound nice," I said, "but I'm taking Tai to a Niall Horan concert."

"Can I come with?" he asked.

"Dude, it's been sold out since the day the tickets went on sale," I told him.

"Yes, I know, but I'm one of the people who got a ticket. That's the reason I was asking for an early dinner," he said.

"Wow, what a coincidence. I'll have to ask Tai," I said.

"I understand," he said. "No pressure, if she wants to just hang with you, I really do understand."

As it turned out, she was quite... enthusiastic. "Really, Mom? You mean like you're going on a date? Oh, my God. Hell yes!"

"Calm your tiddies," I said. "It's not a date. You're going to be there. I try to avoid having my daughter along on my dates."

"You have dates? When did this happen?" she asked.

"None of your business," I said.

"Yeah, because it was in the last century," she said. "Will I like him?"

"The question is if he can stand your little cute narrow smart ass," I said.

"Everyone loves me," she said.

I snorted. "Yeah, until you open your mouth." It was just banter. She knew she owned me, and she was very conscientious about not disappointing me.

I texted Landan and he agreed to meet us for a late afternoon lunch, then we'd drop our car at his place and ride with him.

Tai wanted to drive, and although I complained about our hair being a mess, it was always fun to ride in her car. She had a little 1967 Sunbeam Tiger, completely restored and heavily modified. I wondered what Landan would think.

He was already inside when we arrived, sitting on a bench. He was looking at his phone when we came in, and we were beside him when he noticed us. He looked up and acted like a dolt, his mouth hanging open like he had gone brain dead.

"Dude, close your mouth before you swallow a fly," I told him. "Landan, this is my daughter, Tai. Tai, Landan."

He recovered his presence of mind and got up too fast. Tai giggled and held out her hand. "Hi, Landan."

He stood there towering over us, and I remembered again how big he was. Tai was about an inch taller than I was, and he still dwarfed us.

"Sorry... I... I had forgotten what an impact your mother has, Tai, and then you... you're just as big a shock to the mind as she is."

She laughed. "Hey, I'm much hotter than she is. Thanks, though."

"You are hotter than any other woman in this place," he said, "but Carter is holding her own. Sorry."

He looked down at his hand and I saw he was holding one of those buzzer things. It was blinking and vibrating. "Our table's ready," he said.

We ordered and Landan and Tai went nuts over which one of the One Direction members they liked best. I smiled indulgently. I didn't mind them, but I was going because of Tai. My tastes ran to blues, jazz and classic rock. Tai liked those, too, but she was definitely into whatever was new. I was feeling my age.

After we finished, Landan walked us to our car. "Oh, my God, what is it?" He was agog. Tai went over all the millions of details she knew and he shot me a look. "Umm, Carter..."

"Yes, that's me," I said.

"Would you mind driving my car and I can ride in this with Tai?"

I laughed. "I don't mind. Don't run off and leave me, though."

He gave me his keys and folded himself into the passenger seat. He looked hilarious, like the Incredible Hulk on a scooter. I laughed myself silly, and they did, too. He had a nice Mercedes SUV, and I followed them. We pulled into the parking garage, he was directing Tai, and indicated a spot for me to pull into.

They put the top up while I walked around to the passenger side of his car and claimed shotgun.

The concert was a blast, and I felt like a kid again, screaming right along with Tai. We danced in the aisles and acted like fools. About halfway to what I expected the end would be, the drummer keeled over and they took him away. They asked if there was a drummer in the crowd, and a little girl about ten was escorted up on stage. She killed it, too. She was a tiny little thing with dreads she had flying everywhere as she got into it.

It turned out it was all a gimmick, because the drummer came back out after three songs and the little girl took about a five-minute ovation. It was a great show.

Landan wanted us to come up, but Tai had a tennis match at nine, and so we declined. On impulse, she asked him if he wanted to come, and he was all over it.

He met us at the club, and I invited him back to our place for dinner. I know my way around a kitchen, and we had curry. Tai made herself scarce after she cleaned up, and I offered Landan a drink.

"Got a good bourbon?" he asked.

I did. I had a bottle of Heaven's Door someone had given me, and we cracked the seal. We sat together on the sofa, and I felt comfortable enough to snuggle him a little. He put that massive arm over my shoulders and I felt tiny.

"I love Tai," he said. "What a girl. You are obviously in the running for best mom."

I laughed. "It is all her, Landan. I did my best, but Tai is Tai. You would have to be the world's worst parent to fuck up with her."

"What about her dad?" he asked.

I shuddered. "Yeah, he may be the world's worst."

"Were you married?" he asked.

"Yes, for three years." I sighed. "It's a long painful story, Landan. Are you sure you wanna know?"

"Kinda," he said. "I think you're a fascinating woman, Carter. You're as tough as nails; you take no shit from anyone. Every person who's ever mentioned you to me says you're the one person they don't ever want on an opposing team."

I found that amusing. "I wish," I said.

"You don't need to wish. Everything I've seen of you in a professional atmosphere tells me you earned all the accolades. Everything I know about you personally tells me you're a warm, wonderful person. The night we went to dinner and the club, I saw a completely different person. At the concert, today, was the same. Then there's Tai. I saw you with her, found out what she's like, what you're like with her. I wanna know what makes you tick, Carter."

I sighed. "I had just entered law school. Dan was selling exotic cars. You know, the kind that turn a girl's head."

"Like Tai's?" he asked.

"No, more like Lambos, Lotus, Ferrari. He seemed like he had it going on. I was young and dumb. He was five years older and seemed like the perfect guy. What I didn't know, and was later to find out, was he was all flash and no substance."

"Hey, we've all been young and dumb," he said.

"No, that's not true. Tai's young, but she's not dumb. I've met other kids. Were you dumb, Landan?"

"Yeah, pretty much," he said. "I was a party guy. I played college football and did some pretty dumb shit."

"Well, Dan broke my heart. There I was, in law school, a toddler on my hip, a mountain of debt I was building and he was out banging other women. It took me years to get my life back together. I had to move back in with my parents for a year, live in shitty apartments after that, drive cars that broke down on me constantly, and there were a lot of days when boxed macaroni and cheese and hot dogs was the only food we had in the house. We had issues getting butter and milk to make that. We got milk, eggs, peanut butter, stuff like that from the Women, Infants, Children program.

"I had a crippling debt when I passed the bar and started practicing. I had a distrust of people, and men, in particular. It was tough, Landan, and I had this beautiful baby who was depending on me."

After all that time, just telling him had tears trickling down my cheeks. He wiped them away and just squeezed me. "I'm so sorry, Carter."

"Yeah, I had such dreams, such hopes. I was a romantic girl with stars in her eyes, looking for that home with the white picket fence, happy kids playing in the yard and a husband who loved me and made me his world. Instead, I got an emotional black hole who sucked the life and joy out of everything."

I pulled it together. "Yeah, well, life sucks sometimes. I survived. We survived, and I made an oath to myself that I'd never be in that position again."

"That's why you're tough," he said. "That's why I admire you so much."

Damn, the man was going to make me cry again. "What's your story?" I asked.

"Nothing like that, for sure. My parents are middle class, midwestern, I had a football scholarship, got drafted by the NFL in the sixth round, played three years, but I wasn't good enough. Too slow. I was good enough to make teams, but not good enough to play. Got my MBA, worked for a big trucking company, wanted to help the drivers, so I got involved in the union. Here I am."

"Have you been married?" I asked.

"No. I came close. I mentioned that. Thank God I didn't. She was a cheerleader for the team that drafted me. The last I heard of her she was doing porn."

"Damn. Sounds like you escaped that one," I said. "I have nothing bad to say about sexy strippers or porn stars, but I wouldn't want to be one or be married to one. People do what they have to do."

"I guess," he said. "I'd rather flip burgers."

"Same. Well, now that we've established that neither of us are living a secret life as a porn star, I guess we'll have to come up with a new topic," I said.

He laughed. "Yeah, but it'll be hard to come up with one to match that." He levered himself up. "I better get going, Carter. Don't want to overstay my welcome. You might not invite me back."

I walked him to the door, and as he stepped through, he turned. "Say, do you like the ocean, Carter?"

"Umm... well, I guess. Any particular part? I don't care much for sharks or pollution, but yeah."

"I have a little sailboat," he said. "Nothing fancy, just a little Topaz Omega. Would you go sailing with me sometime?"

I was touched. "You won't drown me?"

He laughed. "Not if you like it. I'm not into sketchy shit. I might have to get you pretty wet if you don't like it."

"Sure, Landan. That sounds like fun. Have your people talk to my people."

He laughed, cupped my face in those massive hands and kissed me. It wasn't anything big, just a nice kiss. My hand trailed down his arm and he was gone. I closed the door and my heart was kind of pounding a little.

I heard a patter of feet and Tai was coming down the stairs. She came and hugged me. "I like him, Mom. Dude is huge! Hot, for a white boy, too. Did you kiss him?"

I could feel the heat in my face. "There are three places you can stay," I told her. "In your lane, out of my business and over there," I pointed across the room.

"Oh my God, you did!" She did one of her squeals.

"No, I didn't," I said. I was thirsty, so I headed for the kitchen. "He kissed me," I threw back over my shoulder.

Landan sent me a text the next morning. "I had a great time with you and Tai. Tell her thanks, and thank you." It had the big smiling emoji with the three hearts.

That started a sort of tradition. Every day when I got to work, there was a text from him waiting for me. Sometimes just a sentence, sometimes a picture, sometimes a funny meme. He kept in touch with Tai, too.

She told me twice that they had played tennis together. "Is he any good?" I asked.

She laughed. "Oh, hell no. I mean, he puts some smoke on his shots, and as long as he doesn't have to move his feet, he has good strokes. If you get him running, he's done. You could beat him easily. He's a good dude, though, Mom. He knows how to laugh at himself."

Two weeks later, on a Friday, Cindy came into my office as she was leaving. "You're going sailing tomorrow," she said, bursting into a giggling fit.

"What? No," I objected.

"Yes," she said. "I checked your calendar and you don't have anything planned. Landan said you told him to arrange it with me."

"Oh, my God. It was a joke, Cin. I never thought he'd call you."

"Well, he did. Here's instructions."

I met him in Greenport at nine. Safe Harbor was a nice little marina, and he was on the boat when I got there. I was carrying my bag and a little cooler, and he took it before helping me aboard.

"What a cute little boat, Landan," I said. "Thanks for inviting me."

"Well, it's what I can afford," he said. "I have fun with her. My parents got me a little one-person sailboat when I was a teenager, and I sailed all over the lakes. This one can take more than one, in case I want to invite a beautiful lady for a sail."

I could feel myself blushing, even if he couldn't tell. "Maybe Tai would want to go with us sometime," he said.

"Maybe," I said. "You're kinda taking for granted that you don't drown me and I'll want to go again."

He laughed. "I'm not going to drown you, and I hope I can give you one reason to go again."

I smiled, thinking back to the question I'd asked him in the club when we were dancing that night. "Maybe more than one," I said.

The marina guy cast off the lines and we moved out into Black Island Sound. There was just a little chop on the water, it was beautiful, quiet, just the slap of the water on the hull and hissing along as we picked up a little speed.