Gliese Chronicles - Sakcore Explored Ch. 01

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

I turned to find Kira writhing on the ground as a long appendage from the creature hung just above her tortured face. Before I could react further, I watched as the appendage started towards her as Jason ran and jumped about a meter into the air forcing it away. The creature, apparently unaccustomed to being repelled in this manner, turned away and upward, then turned back into the wind and came towards us, or rather Jason. It wasn't giving up.

Hianne and I quickly gathered Kira up and moved her into the ACV onto the back cushioned bench seat. Now, I wished we had erected the canopy over the passenger compartment as it would have provided some protection.

I glanced back towards Jason and saw the end of the animal's appendage approaching him, he dodged at the last second, and turned towards the animal as it pivoted in the air above him. I moved to the front portion of the passenger compartment, took the stun rifle from its bracket, turned it on, and watched as the red laser beam appeared on the body of the animal, then squeezed the trigger.

The animal staggered in the air, its appendage drooped loosely as it slowly descended to the ground, wings outstretched, and lay still. I turned my attention to Kira and saw Hianne was removing her soft bra, her shirt already on the seat—I could see the red welt on the upper portion of her right breast and thought I should get the first aid kit from its compartment. I turned and found Jason at my side with it in his hands already opened. He removed the canister of spray pain reliever and shook it hard several times.

"Kira, I'm going to spray this on the wound, this is going to hurt, are you ready?"

Kira looked up, the pain showing in her eyes as tears rolled down her cheeks, and nodded. I watched as the spray hit her seared, raw skin, her hands going to the fabric of the seat cushion, grabbing it tightly as she winced and gave a guttural groan.

"Sorry, Kira, it will take about thirty seconds before it starts to work. Just hang on," Jason said calmly, then added, "We'll head back to the ship right away so we get you checked out thoroughly."

Then he leaned down to inspect the bruised area, looked up at me with a frown. "Cela, please get a cold pack out of the food cooler so we can place it on the wound to slow the inflammation."

I felt like an idiot, I should have thought of that myself. I moved to the cooler, removed an ice pack, and handed it to Jason. He wrapped it in Kira's shirt and I watched as he gently placed it on her chest and breast.

"Kira, should this help too. It should help reduce the swelling."

She looked up at him with a weak smile, "You know it will probably make my nipples go erect."

Jason smiled, "I'm not here for a show." Then he leaned down, placed his mouth to her ear, and whispered. I couldn't hear what he told her, but she was smiling as he sat back up.

"I don't believe predators go for the sweetest meal first. You just made that up."

I could tell from her expression and voice she was holding up pretty well. Her adrenaline rush was still keeping her alert but it wouldn't last forever. Dare I even ask?

"Kira, can you last a few minutes longer? I would like to get some more pictures and take some measurements of this thing while we have the chance. We may not see them again, at least not this close."

"Go ahead, I'm good, the pain is mostly gone and I'm not anxious to see one this close again real soon."

I picked up my camera and looked towards the flock of creatures in the distance. The herd of APs had quickly headed for the nearest large tree and the flying creatures were circling around it, apparently not able to get in below the branches to make use of their appendages. The APs recognized the danger and knew what to do—we had not. Vulture-like my ass! I had been very wrong.

In five minutes we had the measurements taken, close-up photographs of the appendage, its tip, and the details of its body. The wings were mostly transparent, with a strong, rigid forearm with ligaments that went into the clear areas to support and shape it. The most interesting feature—the wing was a hollow bag filled with gas as it rose up after you pushed down on it. The pear-shaped body was a pale blue, matching the color of the sky. There were two black colored patches near the base of the wing dorsally where they met the body—the possible function of this feature eluded me.

I was now sorry I had asked Kira if she was willing to wait, it was asking a lot of her, and maybe I had been too selfish, putting data collection ahead of her welfare. I wouldn't do it again.

Jason took the controls of the ACV and we headed back to the ship moving at near maximum speed as the scattered trees of the savannah seemed to whiz past. Once back at the ship Kira moved under her own power, though slowly, into the area used as the sick bay, and lay down. Robb was soon at work taking her vitals, cleaning her wound, and then administered an injection to ward off possible infection. This was one of the reasons for having a male robot trained in medicine on board as he knew female physiology and anatomy, not that his other primary duty to female crew members wasn't compatible to some degree too.

Later that evening we sat down for the evening meal together, the mood wasn't somber, but it wasn't as lively as it usually was after a day together in the field. Kira's color looked good and it was clear she was feeling much better.

"I guess I should tell you what happened," Kira offered.

"I think you should, none of the rest of us saw what happened," I replied immediately.

"Well, I was standing looking at the wound on the AP carapace after glancing at the flying animal above us. I knew the rest of you were watching them so I wanted to get a better look at the hole as I thought it looked as if there was some charring at the edges. You know, as if something hot had been used to create it. I looked up just as the tip of this long tube was about two meters away and I ducked instinctively to avoid it. It would probably have hit me in the back if I hadn't twisted to get out of the way. Just before it was about to touch me a bright flash struck me—kind of like a bolt of electricity. It stunned me, the pain was terrific, and I fell to the ground dazed. The next thing I remember was the two of you picking me up and carrying me to the ACV."

"I wonder if that's why there are fringed projections around the perimeter of the opening of the creatures appendage, that's where the discharge takes place. And I noticed a whole series of rasping teeth just inside the opening. So, the animal stuns it prey, or perhaps, kills it, then uses those teeth to macerate the food, then it gets sucks upward."

Jason looked at me with a frown, "You know, I think you just found your apex predator for this biome."

"You know, all we needed was some good, sweet bait to find it," Hianne said in jest.

"That's not even funny. You know, I don't think I would have survived a full hit from that thing, I probably received a glancing blow because I ducked away." Kira replied quietly.

We were all quiet for a few minutes as we reflected on our conversation. I knew this job had its risks as all of us routinely received bruises, scratches, or a rash from thorns, prickles, and rough edges on vegetation, not to mention stings or punctures from smaller animals even when we were careful. Those things were accepted, but we had never encountered an animal with the ability to seriously injure or kill us before. This put an entirely new face on our time here and how we needed to prepare as we never carried a stun pistol with us. Only the ACV carried a single stun rifle as part of its gear.

That night as I lay in bed with Jason I thought about Kira and Hianne alone in their beds. I had Jason beside me each and every night, they had Robb—a robot that could cater to their needs when they wanted him. The thought bothered me now. Robots came at your request, they obeyed as commanded as long as no harm came to a human. Robb wasn't like a man who could show affection and initiate interest. What woman didn't want to man to pursue her, to hold her, even if it was for but a short while? I had Jason for life, maybe I should let them have him for a few hours if he were willing.

I snuggled against Jason as he held me close, his hand caressing my bared breast. I rolled over to lay my head on this chest and felt my head rise and fall with his breathing while taking in his manly odor, feeling his bare skin against mine. I felt secure and safe in his embrace.

What if he'd been killed by that flying creature? I felt numb at the thought—my future would've changed forever. For what reason? Because, he had been brave enough to protect others he cared for from harm.

He had protected Kira and I was never more impressed with him than I was now. He was the kind of man a woman seeks for a life partner—brave, strong, intelligent, caring, and sensitive. I knew that if it had been me he would have died protecting me. It was a sobering thought, but it was a real possibility now, not a hypothetical.

"Cela."

"Yes."

"I'm sorry for what I put you through today. But I didn't have a choice, I had to protect Kira. I just had to."

"I know you did. I'm proud and glad you did. But I have to admit it frightened me as nothing else has ever has. It scares me even now. You know I love you. I'm afraid of losing you."

"Yes, I know. I love you too and never want to leave you. You're the woman I'd always dreamed of—intelligent, hard-working, pretty, affectionate, with a wonderful sense of humor. The kinds of things a man wants for someone that would be the mother of his children. I know I've told you that before, but after today I want you to know again that's how I feel about you."

I felt him pull me closer and I thought about his words. I had him forever. We had each other and all that went with it. Kira and Hianne came into my mind again—what did they have? Any one of us could become disabled, or even killed, doing what we loved to do. That fact was made abundantly clear today. We all shared those risks and seldom spoke of them, or even acknowledged it to ourselves most of the time—or at least I didn't.

"Jason."

"Yes, beautiful."

"If Hianne or Kira come to you saying they need you, I want you to know it's okay to give them what they need. I just don't ever want to do about it. I don't want to discuss or debate this, but I want you to know that's how I feel. If you feel you should accommodate them just do it, I trust your judgement."

Jason gave me a kiss through my hair and pulled me close and whispered, "I love you."

I rolled over a minute later, I placed his hand on my breast, and fell asleep knowing I was at peace with the universe, my colleagues, and with myself.