All Comments on 'Go For Broke'

by estragon

Sort by:
  • 10 Comments
tazz317tazz317over 12 years ago
WHEN ON LAYS WITH THE EAGLES

then tries to soar with hogs=CAYOUS. TK U MLJ LV NV

AnonymousAnonymousover 12 years ago
I really enjoyed it

I was not sure what I was getting into, and the life you described was different than any I have lived, but it was a great read. Thanks.

YgraineYgraineover 12 years ago
Great story!

You say this is a stand alone story, but the first four paragraphs seem to refer to a back story somewhere and only confuse the reader. You don't need them, you could just start at para 5. Although the legal system is different from this side of the pond, you paint enough detail to tell the story and hook the reader into the world and into caring about your main character, who is drawn with your customary dry humour which I love. Some of the other characters are not quite so clear and some aspects of Molly are confusing on this first read through - so you might want to revise again if you were thinking of doing something with this tale. I found the ending a little abrupt and would quite like it to have finished in Florida - but maybe that was just the loss of a good tale you don't want to end. My very best wishes to you.

PTBzzzzPTBzzzzover 12 years ago
What the hell....

I liked it.

brujaybrujayover 12 years ago
Different, but I liked it!

I really don't understand why, but I really liked this story. It felt real and genuine.The narration and dialog just flowed beautifully. I consider the character development excellent because by the end of the story, I had an emotional reaction to each of the main characters in the story.

I'm hoping for a continuation.......maybe.................please?

Thank you for sharing your story with us.

bruce22bruce22over 12 years ago
Great Fun

Really interesting language, characters and dialogue. It was a pleasure! I certainly hope that it was a long term hookup! I will have to read Estragon, he is clearly not just DG's editor (they make a great team)

estragonestragonover 12 years agoAuthor
Bruce, There Are Far Worse Fates

than "just being DG's editor". As a storyteller I've learned a ton from DG Hear, MFG, SA Penn Lady, LunaEroticaMystica,NT, LettersFromTatyana, Serenissima Sydney Blake, and SilkStockingsLover. And the other fine writers I've worked with. Copy editing has been the ultimate course in creative writing. Of course I can't imitate their distinctive styles, and I damn sure don't have their talent. But reading good writing, word for word, helps. I recommend it to all writers.

AnonymousAnonymousover 12 years ago
Thanks for this!

I liked it. I want to know more about Molly and what happens on the flight or where they go. It's a good ending nonetheless.

The characters were good and the tension and development of Molly made me want to see more. Great title, btw.

Thanks again!

AnonymousAnonymousover 12 years ago
A nice story perhaps? but,

how is it related to Valentines Day?E2CF

AnonymousAnonymousabout 12 years ago
Should not be a Valentine's Day entry

I really wanted to like this entry, both because I appreciate your condensed and idiosynchratic style and because of your tireless efforts editing other entries for this competition. However, it had (for me) three fatal flaws.

1. It was not as free-standing as your introduction suggested. I had to break off early and re-read its precursors (particularly "Trust") in order to better appreciate your characterisations. Whilst this is fine in the context of reading your work, I feel that a themed competition entry should be readable at its best purely in the context of that competition.

2. Valentine's Day played no real part in the plot and the artificial introduction of 14th February as a flight date at the end fell well short of your usual tight storytelling.

3. Quite often, your work is more "lit" than "erotica." I believe that the non-erotic category on this site is valuable because it allows writers to set their work in a wider context and to introduce linking and background narratives into sustained landscapes. This story seems to be for that purpose. If you carry on with the characters portrayed here then you will have made good use of this category, but again I feel a Valentine's story has to be more than this. Even if non-erotic, I think it needs to be at least a Valentine's Day-based love story, which this is not.

Please note that I am not running the story down as a piece of writing. I just wish you had not entered it in this competition.

Trying to be helpful.

V.S.

Anonymous
Our Comments Policy is available in the Lit FAQ
Post as:
Anonymous