Gods and Crowbars Ch. 03

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Part 14 - Playing God

Fortunately I had been able to keep up with some paperwork while I was convalescing at home. But there was still a large pile of it, and a huge number of emails to go through. It was 3:00pm when I finally looked up from my computer screen. And that was because Helena buzzed me that Captain Ross wanted to see me.

"Whaddya got?" I asked as Cindy came in.

"I know you're super busy," said Cindy, "But I just talked with Detectives Warner and Davis, and I'd like for you to hear about this straight from their mouths.

"Sure." I said. "Bring them in."

Less than a minute later, Joanne and Jerome were in my hot chairs, and Cindy was sitting on the sofa behind them, listening in as they told me everything they'd learned about the case so far, then added their conversation with Susan Gurley.

"Wow." I said. "So Susan had a child by Jason, as did Jennifer in all likelihood. And you don't think Susan knows about the trust fund?"

"She either doesn't, or she's a very good actress." said Joanne. "And I'm inclined to believe the former. I'm not super impressed with her mental acumen, though she may be acting brilliantly in hiding it. She also has something against Jimmy Amberton... ten years ago she made strong statements about him to Police, and today she all but accused him of being the perp."

"And your impressions of Susan Gurley, Jerome?" I asked.

"Like Detective Warner said, sir," said Jerome, "she was trying hard to put Jimmy Amberton on our radar screens. But she seemed forthright and unworried until I asked if she herself had had an affair with Jason Rutledge. She got kind of worried then, and seemed to want the interview to end so she could get away from us."

"Do either of you think she was lying to you?" I asked.

"No sir." said Joanne. "She did not have to come across with a lot of what she admitted to. She didn't act like she was trying to think and choreograph her words."

"Sir," said Jerome, "what Detective Warner says is true. But I've seen people in the neighborhoods where I grew up who were so good at lying, you couldn't tell they weren't telling the truth. Susan Gurley struck me that way... she may have thought about it a long time ago and for a long time what she might say if the Police ever came to talk to her again."

"Very interesting observation, Jerome." I said. "You both have done very well, here. So what's next?"

"That is what I wanted to ask you, sir." said Cindy. "I was going to have them shelve this to work on current stuff. Or do you want them to work more on it?"

"Hmmm..." I said. "Well, it seems you guys, especially you Joanne, have dug up a lot of new stuff. If I were to tell you to keep going, what would you do next?"

"I'd get on the phone or in my car and go see or talk to as many of the people that were there that I can find." said Joanne.

"Good. What else?" I asked.

"Look at the evidence that was accumulated?" guessed Joanne.

"Good. What else?" I asked. Neither had a response.

"So..." I said, "tell me about your examination of the crime scene."

"Sir, it was... it was ten years ago." Joanne said.

"And the earth shifted and moved the location across the mountains or something?" I asked. "Okay, sorry, I should not be so snarky. But seriously, we will go look at the crime scene. And note I said 'we'. I want you to do what you said and in the order you said it: talk to as many people as you can find, then examine the evidence, and then when you're ready, come and get me; the three of us will go to County High School. Oh, Captain Ross is welcome to join us, if she's not too busy."

*BRING!* *BRING!* *BRING!*

It was my personal cellphone, and it was my wife Laura calling on it. "Darling," she said, "can you come to my office... like right now?"

"On my way." I said. Hanging up, I said "We'll talk more of this later. Captain Ross, you're with me." And with that, Cindy and I left for Campus.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

When Cindy and I got to Laura's office, my Police partner's eyes lit up at the sight of Callie Carrington sitting on one of the twin sofas. My eyes and ears perked up at the sight and sound of "Daddy!" being called out by my firstborn child.

"Hi Sweetpea." I said, picking up Carole and hugging her. "You being a good girl for your Mommy today?"

"Yes, Daddy." Carole said. "I drew pictures, too. Marie is going to color them for me."

"That's good." I said. "Okay, you go back to the nursery room, so we grown-ups can talk."

"Okay Daddy. Bye!" Carole said, running to the back room as soon as I set her down on the floor.

"She is so cute." Callie said.

"She's a handful." Laura replied. "Have a seat, Don."

I sat down next to Cindy, to her right. Facing me on the other sofa was Laura, and Callie to her right.

"Don," said Callie, "your idea worked. We picked up something."

I'd let Cindy off at The Cabin, where Callie was waiting for her, and filled her in on the mission. They took the Black Beauty, painted green of course, onto the road, following Nathan Masterson's car after he passed by them. As Cindy drove, Callie was operating some of the CIA's best equipment, which picked up the transmissions from the bugs in Masterson's car. And after Masterson found the bugs, they self-destructed in five seconds.

No, really... they self-destructed in five seconds. Part of the bug's guts was a small container with two chemicals that mixed when the bugs were moved or if a signal reached them. The chemicals started a fire in the electronics of the bugs. Neat, neat stuff.

"Here's what we picked up on Masterson's phone call." said Callie. She played back what her device had recorded:

"Tell Paulsen the Iron Crowbar knows about 'Stormbringer'! No, I don't know... just tell Paulsen, will you! It's blown! He needs to know!" The transmission then ended.

"The number he dialed," said Laura, "was a burner phone in the heart of the City. Could be any of the major buildings there; we can't trace closer than the cell tower on top of the Cannon Building."

"Any of you know who 'Paulsen' might be?" I asked.

"No." said Laura. "And I'm going to hold off searching. Masterson found the bugs; they transmitted a radio signal before catching fire and being destroyed. So if he's connected to a rogue cell at the highest levels, they'll probably be watching me, you, Jack Muscone, and any of our allies to see if we make such a search."

I nodded. "Good idea. But this information is valuable, very valuable."

"Can't help us in Court, though." Cindy said. "We absolutely got that without a warrant."

"Cindy, remember what I told Casey B. Walker after you rescued Don from his thugs?" Laura said.

"Not really; I was helping them get Don to Dr. Cordell for medical attention." Cindy replied.

Laura said "Walker said he'd see me in Court, and I told him he knew these things didn't see the light of day of a Courtroom, or something to that effect." Cindy smiled and nodded.

"In other words, ma cousine," I said, "this is not at the local law enforcement level... this is at the 'Gods and Crowbars' level."

I then turned to Laura. "Dear, I think it's time you had that little 'talk' you've been meaning to have." My wife nodded vigorously in agreement.

Part 15 - The Verdict

"This is Bettina Wurtzburg, KXTC Channel Two News!" shouted the reporterette at 7:00am, Tuesday, April 18th, from in front of the Courthouse complex. "In what is considered by legal experts to be a shocking development, the Defense in the trial of former TCPD Detective Leonard R. 'Sergeant' Sharples rested late yesterday afternoon. The Prosecution also rested, and the case is expected to go to the Jury this morning as the opposing sides work with the Judge on jury instructions."

"And in State news," said Bettina, "1st District State Senator Katherine Woodburn called Governor Jared's plans to cut 50% of all State EPA jobs 'one of the most cruel and mean-spirited actions we have ever seen from any Governor of any State, ever'. Senator Woodburn accused Governor Jared and the Republicans of wanting the children of the State to have to drink dirty water."

Bettina continued: "The Governor also has said that his plans to completely restructure the SBI will be coming out soon. With the Legislature's session now finished for the year, the Governor says he can now concentrate on, and I quote, 'getting the work done that the voters of this State elected me to do'."

Bettina went on: "Civil rights groups are also voicing concerns over the budget bill that they say will allow the Governor to use State money to round up undocumented workers and deport them. The Governor has also struck down the previous policy of not separating children that are Citizens from their parents that are foreign workers. Some groups are promising to sue the Governor to reinstate the 'full family together' policies..."

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

"So, Mr. Crowbar," said the Chief as we watched Bettina in MCD, "what is your plan, that the Governor is going to read verbatim to the Press?" There were chuckles in the room at that.

"Don't I wish." I said. "If it were my plan, it would be simple: there would be no more SBI. But I do like what the Governor and his people are putting together, so far."

"And that is?" asked Cindy Ross (of course).

"It's embargoed." I said. "I can't tell you yet. But you guys will be the first to know, once something is finalized. I will say this: the Reserve Program is not working very well right now. For example, the Town & County Council is complaining about me and Captain Ross doing what they call 'outside' work with the SBI. So something will be done along those lines, and along the lines of the SBI bill passed by the Legislature earlier."

"Sir, when is the Governor going to start cracking down on Illegal Persons?" asked Teddy Parker. The room went silent.

"That's politically incorrect, at best." said Deputy Chief Della Harlow angrily. "They're 'undocumented workers'. There's no such thing as an illegal person, and I'd better not hear such offensive language again."

"I beg to differ." I said loudly, taking up for my Detective with my rank that matched Della's. "If they're here illegally, they're illegal, period. If this Police Force finds any illegal persons in my County, they will be arrested and turned over to ICE for deportation. And that is not up for political debate."

I would imagine that it was the same degree of 'silent' when God laid down the Ten Commandments to Moses, but everyone in the room got the message: that I was not going to lose this 'pulling rank' game today.

"Okay, okay, this is a Police Department, not the State Legislature, thank God." said Chief Moynahan. "Swallow the politics along with your coffee, and we'll all get our jobs done a lot better." That was the final word on the subject. The Chief won the 'pulling rank' game. Deputy Chief Harlow left the room almost immediately, and would never return to an MCD coffee klatch again.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

At 3:00pm, the Duty Desk Sergeant came to my office. "Commander," he said, "I just got a call from the Courthouse. The Jury came back with a verdict. They'll read it at 3:30."

"Thank you." I said. When the Duty Desk Sergeant was gone, I turned to Cindy and said "Want to go watch?"

"Would not miss it." she replied.

We did not even try to drive to the Courthouse, but instead walked across Courthouse Square. We went to the LEO entrance and were allowed in with our weapons (and crowbars). We hurried up to the chamber, which was packed. We stood in back with the Deputies.

At 3:30pm everyone rose as the Judge came in. They remained standing as the Jury filed in. Everyone then sat down as the Judge read the slips of paper given him by the Bailiff. He then had the slips given to the Court Reporter, who entered them into the record.

Then the Prosecutors and Defense Counsel, as well as Defendant Leonard R. Sharples stood up for the reading of the verdict.

"On the issue of Count 1, murder in the first degree with aggravating circumstances, how do you find?" All ears were tuned as the Jury Foreman read the verdict:

"We the Jury find the Defendant guilty."

I had to remain silent, but I did a double fist pump. Cindy clasped her hands and looked into the sky as if in prayerful thanksgiving. I could sense the rest of the room was more than a little bit happy.

"On the issue of Count 2, attempted murder of a Police Officer with aggravating circumstances, how do you find?"

"We the Jury find the Defendant guilty." said the Foreman. Cindy punched me on the shoulder, and the Deputy on my other side shook my hand. I was a happy Police Commander as I listened to Justice be served upon my behalf from the Jury Box.

As each verdict was read off, and Sharples found guilty of every count, I could not know that in Police Headquarters there was loud cheering going on.

But all was not over. The judge announced that the penalty phase, the consideration of the Death Penalty, would begin in the morning.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

The Cop Bar was a happy place as the sun set. The stain upon the TCPD in the form of Leonard 'Sergeant' Sharples had been lifted. I got a text from Lorena Rose in Los Angeles, who'd had her cover blown and her life endangered by Sharples, and there was no mistaking Lorena's happiness. I texted her back with some cheerful comments.

As we celebrated on the outside patio, Jack Muscone and his full team arrived: Sandra, Martin, and Lindy. Clark Webster also was with them, as were SBI Agents Tom Chow and Ted Orosco.

"Great work, guys!" said Jack as he set a pitcher of beer at our table. Sitting with me were Cindy, Callie, Teresa, Wes Masters, and Molly. Detective German had also come over with Molly. And Todd Burke, Teddy Franklin, Barry Oliver, and Tanya Perlman were here.

"Mind if I borrow your Captain of Operations for a moment?" asked Jack.

"Just don't offer her a job with the FBI." I replied. With that, Teresa followed Jack back inside.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

Alone in the back room, Jack set down a shot of bourbon for Teresa and one for himself.

"I remember you buying me a beer to thank me for taking out the guy who killed your sister." said Jack. "I thought I'd return the favor with a shot of bourbon."

"Salud." said Teresa as they clicked shot glasses then downed their shots.

"I'd have killed him." said Muscone quietly. "I'd have lost control. It's better this way... broken back. Thank your friends for me, also."

"Yes." said Teresa. "I was thinking of you, and what you did to avenge my sister, when we went on our mission. I was returning the favor, as you are returning the favor of me buying you that beer that time. And yes, it's better that he suffers, badly, for what he's done. His kind of corruption merits worse than death."

"So, what do you think about Sharples?" asked Muscone.

"The Commander seems to have a special desire to see that one through to the end." Teresa replied. "So I therefore feel the same way."

"He's more than just a boss to you, isn't he?" asked Jack. "And more than your future uncle-in-law."

"You should know." said Teresa. "You were with him when he went and found that photo of me and Alexis, and got my story out in front of everyone. He saved me from... worse than death." Tears were rolling down Teresa's cheeks as she remembered, and contemplated how things might have been...

"That's the Iron Crowbar for you." said Muscone. "I probably shouldn't tell this tale out of school, but he once told me that he worked his ass off to save you because he could see how great you would become one day. And you know what? He was right. You're an awesome cop, and a great mother to Todd's kids."

"He's always right." said Teresa. "Even when he says something that sounds hair-brained and totally crazy, I know he's ultimately right. And I hope I don't forget that when... well, when one day no one else is going to believe him."

After a moment of contemplation, Teresa said "Well, let's go back and join the party. Not every day Sharples gets convicted of murder."

"True." Jack said, chuckling. They came back on deck.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

"Excellent job, sir." said Norm Chow to me as we quietly spoke alone in the front part of the patio, nearest the front door and parking lot.

"What, Sharples?" I asked.

"No sir." said Chow. "That time somebody was shooting at you on this patio and you went out and shot them."

"Oh yeah, that." I said, remembering. (Author's note: The Murdered Football Player, Ch. 06.) "How did you know about that?"

"I've been reading up on all your cases, sir." said Chow, his voice flat, his face showing no emotion. "Some incredible stuff, there, sir."

"Yes, life is interesting in this Town & County." I said. "So tell me, Chow... what do you want to do?"

"I guess it's going to depend on what they do with the SBI, sir." said Chow. "I once thought that going to Quantico and being in the FBI was my life's dream, but the SBI has some good people in it, and can be a good law enforcement unit."

"How would you like to help me rebuild the SBI?" I asked.

"You leaving the TCPD for the SBI?" asked Chow, his voice dispassionate, but inwardly he was surprised.

"No, nothing like that." I said. "But Director Conlan is talking to me about doing more with the Reserve Inspector post, making it all but full-time, and putting the right people in the right places. And you would do very well in several places, of which you'd have your pick."

"Sir," said Chow, "I like working in the field. I don't want to be behind a desk, leading from behind. Don't get me wrong, I know you're not doing that, but I'm not one for Admin stuff. I'd rather lead a team, like Special Agent Muscone or Webster are doing, where I'm still out there with them."

"Well then," I said jovially, "the Governor and I have just the thing for you." I looked around to make sure no one was listening in, then said "We're thinking about a new unit, called 'Special Investigation Services', a.k.a. the SBI-SIS. They'd be the State version of Major Crimes. They'd help local units investigate crimes that cross county lines, like the George Aurus case."

"Aren't you afraid they'll become like Ferrell's NTF was? Barreling in over local jurisdictions, taking over cases? Throwing their weight around?" asked Chow.

"While I'm alive and SBI Inspector, and in charge of the SIS unit, that's not going to happen." I said. "But I get your point. The problem is that cases like Aurus prove Katherine Woodburn's point about the SBI. We need something effective, but like George Washington said about the new American Government, it will 'depend upon the wise and the honest'. I believe you are just the man for that."

"I'll give it some thought sir." said Chow. "A lot of thought, actually."

I could tell he liked the idea. One more chess piece in place on the Iron Crowbar's chessboard...

Part 16 - Come To Jesus

Meanwhile...

As the sun was setting, illuminating the windows of Laura's office, which faced west, in a strange golden glow, Melina Allgood entered her sister's office. Laura was sitting behind her desk. Don's mother Phyllis had picked up the children and taken them home to the Mountain Nest.

"You wanted to talk to me?" Melina said, coming up. She was dress in all black, including high-top running shoes.

"Have a seat." Laura said quietly. Melina sat down, seeing that Laura was very somber... and Melina knew that they were about to have what is called a 'Come To Jesus' meeting. Little would be left on the table after this.

"Are you aware," asked Laura, "that a sniper tried to shoot and kill Carole or me the other day?"