Godsend Ch. 03 – Opium and Toys

Story Info
When you always win, you lose.
6.9k words
3.53
10.1k
10

Part 3 of the 3 part series

Updated 06/10/2023
Created 01/09/2021
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
ribnitin
ribnitin
293 Followers

You need to read the first two chapters in the series in order to understand this concluding chapter. If you already read them and didn't like them, why are you reading this one?

This story is entirely fictional.

* * *

Opium has destroyed many lives. It's caused wars and economic collapse. It's ruined countless minds, devastating communities and families. It didn't ruin my family though. I did that on my own.

I've never touched opium, never even seen it. No one close to me has tried it. Nonetheless, opium was good to me; very good. More than two centuries ago it became popular in Eastern Europe: Russia, Ukraine, Lithuania. Read up on the religious movements from that part of the world. Mystics would smoke their pipes and have godly visions. Christian mystics, Jewish mystics- it didn't matter. Their ethereal insights rose from the opium my ancestors supplied.

It wasn't just the mystics who made my family rich. The burgeoning industrial middle class, the nobles; even a czar or two were addicted. Opium was considered a medicine. Many people self-medicated to escape the dreariness or the horrors of their everyday life. Some people frowned at it, but it was perfectly legal.

As modernization crept into Eastern Europe, attitudes towards the drug changed. My family's approach also transformed. Recognizing the risks of opium my ancestors diversified, finally getting completely out of the business. They invested their now considerable fortune in shipping, manufacturing, and other conventional endeavors. From their headquarters in Singapore they expanded to Australia, Europe, and the Americas.

The Japanese conquest of Singapore in World War II wiped out most of my relatives. Of the dozens of cousins and siblings who had shared the fortune, my grandparents and Anika's parents were the only ones who survived the onslaught. Anika is sterile and I'm an only child. If Bloomberg or Forbes knew about me, I'd be high on their list of wealthiest people in the world. Not a Bezos or a Buffett, but not too far off.

But they don't know. Neither does the IRS, and it's completely legal. Biden's billionaire tax won't come near me.

So how does Scott Pierce know of my fortune? Who else knows? That Reverend White told my husband about my misbehavior doesn't bother me half as much. Pierce said that his parents were jealous of my family keeping its wealth secret. That implied Scott must have heard about it from them. His parents were buried in the wreck of their Beechcraft somewhere at the bottom of the Gulf of Mexico, so I couldn't ask them how they knew.

"I'm leaving now, Allison. My limo will be here in a few minutes."

I turned to my husband, who was rolling a large suitcase behind him. "Do you have everything you need?"

David shrugged.

"Do you have to go for two months? I'm going to miss you. The kids are going to miss you." He had no clue that I ordered his trip.

"You're going to miss me? Sure." David forced a laugh. "Luke barely nodded this morning when I told him I'm going away for a couple of months. Mia laughed as if it's a joke. The kids will get along fine without me. I won't do well without them, though."

"David, they love you. They're too young to understand a two-month absence as an abstraction. But believe me, they'll miss having you around. We'll have them video chat with you regularly."

David shook his head. "Why should I believe you about anything? If you would tell me you're going to get together with Pierce while I'm away, then I'd believe you. Anything else, I'm skeptical."

"Honey, you're going to the other side of the world for two months. Can't we part on better terms? You know I love you. You know that I chose you over Scott: first on that trip to South Padre Island, and then again and again over the years."

"Are you going to see Scott Pierce while I'm away? Tell me 'yes' or 'no.'"

"I have no plans to see Scott Pierce."

"That's not an answer."

"You didn't answer the question I asked you two days ago. Why do you have to go to New Delhi? What does Vestry Capital have to do with India?"

David sighed. "One of its biggest shareholders is domiciled there. He's raised questions about our post-acquisition procedures and management. I have to harmonize Vestry with his other holdings. I can't talk about it with you. Some of your consulting clients might be Vestry's competitors."

That was plain silly. He didn't want to talk about it because of his ego. He didn't want to appear as someone who has to follow the orders of his superiors. "Will you have to go chasing other shareholders, to harmonize with them? What if one's located in Beijing, or somewhere in South America? Are you going to have to spend a couple of months in all those places too?"

"I don't know where the other shareholders are domiciled. I don't know who any of them are. Might be Martians, for all I know." He looked out through the window shades. "My car's here. Bye."

"Goodbye, my love. Take care of yourself." I reached over, wanting to embrace him. He gave me a peck on the cheek.

"Don't fuck around with Pierce." He stepped through the door. "Or with any of your other boyfriends."

I inhaled sharply, stopping myself from giving my husband the retort he deserved as he walked to the grey stretch Lincoln. Maybe I should ask Rahul to domicile Vestry shareholders in Beijing and Santiago. I could then send David to each of those places for a couple of months of 'harmonization.' When I married David, I planned to eventually tell him that Vestry Capital's shareholders were all domiciled in his bedroom and were one entity: me. Now it didn't look like our marriage would hold together till we got to 'eventually.'

David's a proud man and it would devastate him to know he was working for his wife. It would devastate him even more if he found out he only got the job because of his wife. He was qualified, was reasonably good at spotting targets for acquisition and then pushing the deal through. But often after David took control of a target, it declined in value.

The valve manufacturer wasn't the only investment David ruined. When Scott told me about the destruction of his family's business, I set forensic auditors on Vestry's track record. My husband seemed to take a malicious joy in throwing his financial weight around. I couldn't let him do that anymore.

David looked back at me as he climbed into the car, not saying another word. I waved as the limo pulled away, then ran inside to answer the ringing phone.

"Good morning, Reverend White. You don't waste a minute."

"Good morning, Mrs. Harmon. How are you this bright and beautiful Monday morning?"

"It's windy and raining. To what--?"

"David asked me to make sure you're okay. I want you to know that if there's anything I can do for you, don't hesitate to call my wife or me."

"That's very thoughtful of you. Did you get the twenty-thousand dollars that David promised?"

"Oh, he gave us much more than that. We have a two hundred-thousand-dollar donation from his company, Vestry Capital. It will go a long way towards relieving the suffering of the former Pierce employees."

My husband was very generous with Vestry's-- well, my money. We have policies and procedures for any charitable gifts over ten thousand dollars. I should have heard about a donation of that size. "My husband is a warm and sensitive man."

"Yes, for sure. Look at how quickly he was able to forgive your um, indiscretion."

"Yes. Have you heard the good news, Reverend? Scott Pierce has taken back control of his family's business. Once he gets it started, he can start to hire people back."

"I had a chat with your husband about that. He says he has it on good authority that Mr. Pierce will fail once again. He doesn't have the capital to reach critical mass."

That meant my husband wanted to destroy it again. "Well, my husband is an astute businessman. It was nice talking to you, Reverend. Feel free to keep checking on me."

I was indignant. What right did David have to set the Reverend on my tail? I've been a good wife. I've loved and supported him, giving him two beautiful children.

And lied to him so I could have a fling with an old boyfriend. And then told the boyfriend that I was going to bring my children and move in with him. And then made sure David was on the other side of the world while I did all this. Maybe I'm not such a moral and upright person. Maybe my obscene wealth gave me a feeling of entitlement. Maybe, well definitely my husband was right not to trust me. But that worked both ways.

I was in my late teens when my parents took me to Singapore to meet the mysterious Uncle Rahul and Aunt Anika. I did the touristy things and then tried to beg off when Rahul insisted that I go into the office with him one day. I thought it was the same person who came out of the office with Rahul, but I was wrong. Learning that you have billions of dollars changes you.

Was I now having what people call an "existential crisis?" Who was I- the person I wanted to be? Clearly not. My phone rang again, this time from 'unknown caller.' "Allison Harmon."

"I don't like the way you answer the phone. It should be 'Allison Pierce.'"

"Hi, Scott."

"I miss you, Allison."

"It's not even a week, Scott."

"Uh-huh. I thought I was over you. I thought I was over what you did to me, to us. I was wrong. My love for you was not burned to a crisp by what you did to me. Just buried."

"Scott..."

"When you said you're going to move in with me everything I ever felt for you resurfaced, came roaring back to life. Did you mean it? Are you really coming?"

"It's complicated. I--"

"Of course. You have a family to uproot, and a divorce to go through. What's in your prenup? Does David get your assets if you screw around on him?"

I giggled nervously. "There's no 'if' I screw around. You remember what we did together in your house, did you? It's a no-fault prenup anyways. I could do a whole football team or David could move into a whorehouse; it wouldn't affect the outcome. When one of us wants to file, the only question is assets we acquired since marriage and custody of any kids. I want my children and he can have the rest."

"Are you going to do it- file for divorce?"

I didn't answer.

"Allie?"

"I... It's a big move. I'm going to screw up my kids' lives."

I could hear Scott breathing heavily through the phone, till he finally said "I understand. Call me when you decide. But please, don't leave me hanging. Speak to you later, Allison."

"Wait, don't hang up. David is planning to do it to you again."

He didn't hang up, but he didn't say anything. "Scott, he wants to do it to you again."

"What's David Harmon going to do to me?"

"Ruin your company. He told Reverend White that you're going to fail once more, and White is spreading the word. Says you don't have enough capital to make a comeback."

More silence.

"Scott, my husband has a big ego. When he destroys something, he expects it to remain destroyed."

"They're right, you know. I don't have enough capital to make a full recovery."

"I can--"

"You can't."

"I didn't suggest anything yet."

"I'm glad we've reconnected, Allison, but I'm not ready to depend on you for anything. You, your husband, and your business have hurt me too much in the past. I can't put myself in a vulnerable position by depending on you."

My doorbell rang.

"Scott..."

My doorbell rang again.

"I'll call you back. Let me see who's at the door. Bye."

I looked at the door-camera image on my phone. The young man in a suit at the door looked like a Jehovah's Witness, or maybe a salesman. He had a thin leather briefcase in one hand, open at the top. I made sure my buttons were done up all the way and opened the door wide.

"Allison Harmon?"

"Yes. Can I help you?"

"Would you mind showing me a piece of ID?"

"Yes, I would. Who are you, and what do you want?" I closed the door halfway.

"Just a messenger delivering a document."

"From whom?"

He pulled a large envelope out from his briefcase and read the return address. "David Jenkins, Attorney." He held on to the envelope. "Now can I see a piece of identification? Driver's license, or something like that?"

I shut the door even further, leaving it only open a slit. "No. If you have something to give me, give it to me now, or go away." If this was what I thought it was, I wasn't ready. If this was what I thought it was, it was either a godsend or calamity. The young man chewed on his lip for a moment, while trying to subtly reach for his camera. It was pretty obvious what he wanted to do. I stuck my arm through the slightly open door. He gave me the envelope with one hand and took a picture with the other. The door was open maybe four inches, so it wouldn't be a good picture. He fled down the steps, and I opened the door all the way. "Thanks, honey" I yelled, waving the envelope at him. He reached again for his camera, but by the time he had it ready the door was firmly shut.

My heart was pounding as I sat down on the couch to read the document. I opened the flap, took a breath, and put the envelope down on the coffee table; I wasn't ready for it. I went to the liquor cabinet, poured a shot of bourbon, and slammed it down. Now I was ready.

"Petition for Divorce... irreconcilable differences." I held my breath as I flipped through it. Everything followed the prenup. I got the house; he got his car and personal belongings. We each kept the assets we brought into the marriage. He asked for joint custody; that could be a problem. I resumed breathing, scanned and sent the document to one of my lawyers. Thank god David wasn't divorcing me for adultery. Hopefully, he just suspected it but didn't know I had done the deed.

I'd been on the phone with Scott when the process server rang. I called him back but it went to voicemail. Now I was antsy. I wanted my marriage to end with me dictating terms. David taking the initiative threw me off balance. I needed to calm down, get a grip. I looked over at the bar, at the seventeen-year-old Eagle Rare, considering another drink. I had objected when David wanted to spend fourteen hundred dollars on a bottle of booze, but he bought it anyway. He wanted it for the pride of ownership. I've been enjoying the taste, and we'll have to buy more soon.

I wasn't going to have another shot and tie one on. That wasn't the way to do it. I went to the broom closet and pulled out the vacuum. David thought we had a cleaning lady. He didn't know that it was me; another of the secrets I kept from him. Vacuuming, mopping floors, scrubbing bathrooms were a form of relaxation for me. It cleared my mind of the burdens of my fortune, of my secrets. It helped me pretend to be a normal person, leading a normal, middle-class life.

My phone dinged with a text message before I turned the vacuum on. The watcher I hired reported that David arrived in New York. He had a few hours till his New Delhi flight. I'd get a start on the cleaning, give him a chance to unwind from his flight, and then call. I considered having him bumped out of first-class for his next flight, but remembered that I was trying to be a normal human being. It was too tempting to be an entitled, powerful bitch, which is apparently what I turned into when I walked out of Uncle Rahul's office all those years ago.

I was finishing the living room rug when "Hey, Good Looking" started playing on my phone. That was David's ring tone. I hesitated, then figured I might as well get it over with.

"Yes, David. How was the flight?"

"Turbulent, like my heart."

"A divorce petition doesn't calm turbulence."

"No, but it can bring it to an end."

"Our marriage is turbulence?"

"Allison, I've loved you so much, for so long. It hurt to know that you never felt the same way about me."

"How can you--"

"I thought I succeeded in winning you from Pierce, taking you to South Padre. I was the happiest man in the universe as you walked down the aisle to me at our wedding. When Luke was born, and then Mia, I was almost convinced we'd be forever."

"Almost convinced?"

"We've been together for seven glorious years, Allison. But that entire time, you haven't been completely with me. There's always been a separation, a detachment, like you have another world, another life that I'm not part of. I've been terrified that the separation would grow. When you planned your fake trip to Los Angeles it looked like a chasm. When Vestry sent me to New Delhi, it became unbridgeable."

"You knew I wasn't going to L.A.?"

"You weren't packing for Los Angeles weather."

"Why didn't you say something?"

"What's the point? You made your choice."

"Oh, David..."

"I'm sorry I didn't have the courage to say this to you in person. I know I've lost my wife and family. Now I think Vestry is trying to screw me over. Why the hell am I going to New Delhi for two months?"

I had the answer to his question, but couldn't tell him.

"Maybe they think I messed up the Pierce Industries acquisition. Hell, I barely sent them any information about the opportunity, so that doesn't make sense."

But I knew everything about the acquisition. "Why did you keep me there when you knew Pierce got the business back?"

"I wasn't finished with him. Until they sent me on this trip, I hoped I could take him down and win you back. But it's over."

"Like you took him down before?"

"Yeah." He paused. "How do you know about that?"

"Scott's not stupid. He figured it out and told me how my husband destroyed him. He also knows that you want to do it again. Reverend White likes to talk."

David sighed loudly. "I destroyed Pierce Industries so you wouldn't be tempted by his luxurious lifestyle."

Wow. That was some confession. I wondered what Reverend White would think of his 'benefactor' now.

"Listen, Allison. I can't leave home for two months and not know what my wife is doing: who she's with or what she's plotting. You made your choice when you went to see Scott, never mind that BS story of you going there to spy for Reverend White. We should make a clean break now. Do you have any issues with the divorce petition? I tried to make it as simple as possible."

"Um, you asked for joint custody. That's--"

"That's a pipe dream. I want my kids, but the mother almost always gets them. I probably won't even have a job when I get back from Delhi."

"Why won't--"

"I think Vestry is setting me up, Allison, just like you did. I can't destroy the mother of my children, but if it's in my power and I'm right about Vestry, I'm going to do everything I can to destroy it."

I took a deep breath.

"Listen, I've got to change terminals to get to my gate. I love you, Allison. I always have and I always will. Make sure Luke and Mia know I love them. I'll get in touch with you from Delhi and we'll do a video chat with them. You win, Allison; you always have Bye."

David disconnected and I stared at the phone a minute before putting it in my pocket. I carried the vacuum down to the den.

David really loves me, and I've really hurt him. He's never sounded so unhappy. I was tempted to let him destroy Vestry Capital, take out his rage by breaking something. The loss would make little difference to me. The problem was that Vestry Capital controlled many businesses, many of which employed hundreds, some thousands of people. David didn't care about those people. He showed his ruthlessness when he sabotaged Pierce and our city. He deliberately caused the problem he was helping solve with his generous check (my money) to Reverend White. Was he some kind of sociopath, or merely a selfish asshole?

ribnitin
ribnitin
293 Followers
12