Golden Rook Ch. 25-32

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"I imagine he's regretting giving her the ability to open it."

"He cannot take it from her?" Cyran knelt and began to feed the fire.

"No, she wouldn't be able to help Vezar if he did. But he's strong enough in comparison that he can toss her back out if she steps inside. I think she charms him and provokes him in turn."

Kwes shook his head and gave a small laugh, "I love her but I think I want to spend the rest of my life as far from her as I can once this journey is done. I may just spend some time relaxing at the Bent Elf."

The priest's huff of disapproval and disgust put a grin on his face.

"The two of you would benefit from some time there being rubbed and with a few of the girls bathing you. It might get the sticks-" He held his stomach as he started to laugh at the man's hurried departure.

From the doorway, Cyran sourly asked, "Are all of your birds so," he paused as if hunting for the word.

"Infuriating? Challenging? Offensive?" Odos offered in an innocent tone, "They've all been called worse, nephew, and deserved every word."

"Lady Rook, at least, doesn't tolerate such iniquity."

"If you approve of that terrible woman perhaps you should stay outside with her." Mylena inched slowly past the priest in the doorway with a look of distaste on her face.

"She can be frightening, but she has a good heart." Cyran frowned. "She does not tolerate-"

"Neither do I." She pointed to the door, drawing herself up.

The man turned to leave with an accusingly disappointed look to Odos.

"Cyran?" The old man waited until he turned again, "Speaking of iniquity, I advise you not to do any praying. He's angry and unreasonable right now. It would do more harm than good."

The priest frowned and went through the door and out of sight.

"All of your husband's things and probably a bit more will be left here for you." Odos settled into another chair. "All of the money we took from the bandits, all of the food we took from them, as well as the goods."

"What about," Mylena took a deep breath, "about their bodies?"

"You'd need to ask Lady Rook if she can make inquiries about them. I don't advise going to where we left the remains of the bandits, what she did to them will give you nightmares."

The woman shuddered.

"In her defense," Kwes spoke up with a careful tone, "They did try to murder me and she takes that sort of thing personally."

"If you're her brother..." Mylena looked him over nervously.

"He's mortal, blessed with luck and quick wits by their divine father but she inherited a bit more."

"Ah." The woman relaxed. "Her father should have looked after her better if she was so mistreated as a child."

At the way Odos' face hardened, Kwes spoke up, "He's heard that quite a bit, I think. He's done much better since, in looking in on his children. And who would expect a mother to discard her child, much less a child so lovely and delicate as Lady Rook must have been."

Mylena folded her arms and looked at the floor before nodding. "I'll have Edun ask her. I think she'd do anything for him."

"She has a tender heart and children touch it in a way no one else can." Odos rubbed his temples. "We should get things ready so that we can rest after dinner."

"You can rest now. Old men shouldn't be running around like this. You should be in a warm house with your children and grandchildren letting them take care of you." She huffed and then eyed Kwes as Edun and Grimgrip came in carrying sacks, "If you weren't injured I'd put you to work."