Golden Rook Ch. 55-60

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"She gave them the thief's pay." Odos inclined his head. "I don't think she expected them to burn the building but the furnishings in that room were ruined.

"It took at least ten years for people to stop bowing and stuttering when someone said they were from Clan Hammersworn."

Grimgrip snorted a laugh, "Syreilla Hammersworn made an impression, even in Bhiraldur. She was respectful but she carried herself as if she owned the mine. Lady Rook is just the same."

"Where is my little rook? I need to speak to her."

"She said to tell you not to rush her and she'll come out when she's done." The dwarf grinned and shook his head, "I think if she had more time to let Master Aledelver and Bhirren Hammersworn warm up to her she might be invited to stay the way Syreilla Hammersworn was."

"That's why I want her out quickly." Odos returned the dwarf's grin. "One daughter who chose to stay in a mine was enough."

"If she wants to stay you should let her," Kwes muttered before stalking over to unload his horse.

Cyran caught something about it not making a difference but the dwarf was asking Odos if he knew any reasonable mages. Ignoring them, he took the time to unpack his horse and begin setting up his tent. Kwes has gone for a walk, leaving his things next to his saddle. He decided to put up his cousin's tent as well and put the half-elf's things inside it. By the time the tents were up and he was starting to think about making a meal, Syreilla joined them.

She was walking next to a black-haired dwarf and waved to him cheerfully.

"That's my cousin, Cyran, that I was telling you about, Kaduil. And my brother, Magpie, should be here somewhere."

The dwarf shook his head with a smile, "Sirruil said he's a thief."

"He is, and a good one too I've been told." She gave Kwes a warm smile as he came into view.

"It's a shame you haven't let me show you." The half-elf folded his arms and gave her a sour look.

"We'll do something fun as soon as I-" Syreilla stopped and blinked as Kwes turned on his heel and stalked off. "I think he's angry with me..."

"You left us." Cyran cleared his throat and glanced away feeling uncertain of how he should be looking at her, he hadn't meant to look at her lustfully before.

He almost chided her for telling him he could stay close and learn from her and then abandoning him deliberately but when he glanced back she looked deeply sad. She dropped to her knees to embrace the dwarf and speak quietly to him. Stepping away seemed the only polite thing to do.

Kwes was pacing furiously by the fire muttering in elvish. When he saw Cyran he glared past him, "Where is she? Did she leave us again?"

"She's saying goodbye to the dwarf, I think. It seemed... intimate."

The half-elf stopped and then laughed unpleasantly before storming past.

"Rook! You're going to talk to me and you're going to explain yourself."

Sighing, Cyran shook his head and started going through the rations that had been packed for him, what felt like an age ago, at the Temple for something to warm for dinner.

"What exactly do I need to explain?" She paused, "Will you stand in one place? Magpie?"

A familiar-looking man in a hood and commoner's clothes stepped out of nothing and Cyran remained still, studying him as he glanced around the camp. He didn't have long to look. Kwes came marching furiously back, speaking to his sister over his shoulder.

"That was a cruel trick, Syreilla." The half-elf barely paused as he noticed the intruder. "And who is this? You've picked the wrong camp to rob-"

"Vezar!" Syreilla sounded pleased as she rushed up to the King Undying, beaming, and put her arms around him, rising on her toes for a kiss. "I have something for you."

Watching the two of them was still somehow unsettling. Vezar's claws didn't look like anything a woman, much less a goddess should be allowing near her skin and that kiss was indecent.

"My sweet Syreilla, you need to bathe."

The King Undying lowered his head and drew a deep breath against her skin as if inhaling whatever scent he was insisting she needed to wash off and she laughed whispering something in answer that Cyran didn't hear. Vezar made a sound that was certainly lascivious and vanished with Syreilla.

"Where did she go?" Kwes stalked over to the point they'd vanished.

"With Vezar Edra." Cyran's eyes widened as the half-elf kicked at the dirt and began spouting what he assumed were elvish curses.

"That's it! I'm done with her!" Kwes stalked over to the fire and dropped heavily across from him. "What are we having?"

"There is some sausage and-"

"I don't eat that, what else?"

Wordlessly, Cyran picked up the bag with the rations in it and tossed it across to him. The half-elf picked through it with a sour expression.

"Who bought these supplies?"

"They were packed for me at the Temple in Withia."

"Ah. Where is the bag I brought?" Kwes looked at him expectantly.

"With your things? I didn't-" The bag was tossed back as the half-elf huffed and got up.

The man took some time to return to the fire and Cyran had already warmed his food and eaten by the time he did. Kwes joined him to sit and look quietly into the flames for a time.

"I don't mean to take out my anger on you, cousin."

"We both expected better of her."

The half-elf sighed, "Father has been telling me for years that I'd be disappointed if I met her. She's a legend... Perhaps she should have stayed that way."

Silence stretched.

"When did you learn he was your father?"

"I've been putting things together over time. My luck has always been better than anyone else's, that started at birth. The fire that destroyed Tirnel Acharnion's house should have killed me. My parents had fled and so had the servants when she started the fire. It raged and there was no time for anyone to think. A stranger who had been allowed to sleep in the stable ran in and saved me when he saw the flames."

"Odos." Cyran smiled faintly.

"Yes. Master Odos was given a place to sleep each time he visited after that. He used to tell me stories...

"Once everything started to fall into place, who Syreilla the Rook was, and her father, I'd had my suspicions about Master Odos being the trickster god. His names for us are similar and the way he speaks of us... I just needed the time to put it all... together. Others confirmed it and then I had to find the courage to call him 'Father'." Kwes gave him a curious look, "You never suspected your father was 'the divinity', as you like to call him?"

"No. That he would create a child, or children, with anyone never occurred to me. I was the best of his priests, the greatest of his White Hands." Cyran sighed, "I never wished to disappoint him."

"When he comes back to himself, he'll be proud of you." Kwes gave him a melancholy smile. "Even I like you."

There was another long pause, "She's not coming back is she?"

"I don't know." Cyran watched the pain on the half-elf's face turn to anger.

"If she does I won't be here. I'm going back to Withia. Are you coming with me?"

"There's nothing for me there." Cyran frowned into the fire. "If she doesn't return..."

"The two of you couldn't look sadder if you tried." Odos stepped out of the forest shadows with a smile, brushing off his sleeves and looking pleased with himself.

"I'm not looking forward to the long ride back to Withia by myself." Kwes stretched and turned a heartbroken look on his father.

The old man broke into laughter, "I'll take you to the edge of the city this once. Your sister isn't with us to heal you if we get attacked and I don't want to risk it."

"Where is she?"

"I sent her to visit a friend of mine." Odos smiled smugly. "They seemed to be getting along well when I left, she only mildly insulted him during their introductions." He glanced at Cyran, "I'll take over your lessons. She'll continue them as soon as she can but time is becoming an issue. My brother is complaining to our father and some of the others are as well. She wasn't polite when she met them."

"Where will we go?"

"My father has a Temple in the cliff-top city of Briasa in Laegrenna. It's a thing to see if you haven't yet."

*Fifty-nine*

The time she'd been given in the dwarf mine had come to an end far sooner than she'd wanted it to. Syreilla had stayed up all night talking, first to Sirruil and then to Kaduil, as she was finishing the slim volume on dragon's fire for Orefinder. She'd even slipped in a few more wards and a contact spell to send a wave of burning pain up someone's arm wherever they were touching you. When he'd brought her clothes, the dwarf had almost danced in place as he glanced through it.

Kaduil had given her Hammersworn's old work clothes and she'd intended to pack them away and put her own back on but looking over the clothes Orefinder had brought she couldn't keep the frown off of her face. They'd been torn in places she hadn't torn them, mended, and her draped mantle was missing.

Syr narrowed her eyes. "Messing with my kit is a nasty trick-"

Orefinder winced and lifted his hand. "Ask the old man. I'm not the one who messed with your kit but I did have them repair it. He borrowed your things and didn't bring them all back. I'm sending Grimgrip out to take your brother and cousin the things they'd left behind and talk to him about finding a mage. He's waiting for you outside, Rook."

"Have Grimgrip tell him not to rush me, I'll come out when I'm done. And he can tell that rustwit he'd better have a good explanation for having borrowed my things and that I'm going to blister his ears if I don't get them all back."

The dwarf laughed, "You can scold him yourself. Get out of that house dress and come down to breakfast."

Looking at the two sets of work clothes for a moment she chose to put Hammersworn's back on. It had the right pockets and she was feeling a little wary about the mended clothes. The few spare tools and her spare set of work clothes she put in her bag paced down as best she could.

The dining room was quiet as she walked into it and a dull ache began to radiate from her chest immediately. Syreilla sighed and took her seat next to Kaduil.

"She doesn't want to go."

"I always hated to see her leave." Kaduil nodded with a grim smile. "But you gave your word, Syreilla."

"I did, and you can rely on a Rook." Syr put all the warmth she could into her smile.

°°°°°°°°°°

Syreilla had taken her time saying her goodbyes to Oduil, Kyrilla, and Sirruil. Kaduil had been needed at the forges and their goodbyes had been said at breakfast.

As she stepped out of the house she gave Sirruil a slow blink and tilted her head in the direction of the treasure rooms. "I have one more thing to do before I go."

A grin crossed the young dwarf's face. "Orefinder said you'd ask about them."

"Getting the stones is part of the task that will give me the right to give your mother over to Fellforger. If I were willing to steal from dwarves they'd already be in my pocket."

He laughed and escorted her that way. In front of the door to the treasure rooms, Orefinder and Thyldind Trueshield waited for them.

"Before we discuss the stones, I want to see what you've taught the boy." Trueshield beckoned for Sirruil to come talk with him.

Orefinder grinned at her, "Do you think you helped him seal it entirely."

"Of course not. You can deter thieves, you can never keep them all out. What I've done is teach him to use the circlet to the best of my ability. I hope he'll learn to use it to the best of his and improve on what I taught him."

"Building a thief-proof room would be an impossible task for you?" His grin widened and she returned it. "Sirruil told me about the chat you had about puzzles while you were speaking to Kaduil this morning. He's a quick one and I think all of the mines will be safer with him holding the circlet."

"Building a thief-proof room is a task I tinker with in my head, Orefinder. I love a challenge, I live for it, and I want the mines to be safe. I want Clan Hammersworn and my family here to be safe. Do you think I could have your permission to-"

Orefinder broke into loud laughter. "Rook, you can go after those who steal from us to your heart's content, but I won't let you give Bhirren Hammersworn a sigil to summon you with. He can deal with problems like a dwarf, if someone cheats him he can put an axe in their head."

She folded her arms and gave him a sour look, "I like him. I just wanted to help."

The dwarf smacked her hip and grinned up at her, "You'd claim Clan Hammersworn and coddle them into uselessness. But I'll talk to Fellforger. People might give us less trouble on the roads if the caravans drove with a Rook's protection."

"Let me know when they're moving, Orefinder, I liked being called the Lady of smoke and flame. I can live up to the name." She grinned back at him and he broke into laughter again.

"Syreilla the Rook!" Trueshield called her over. "Sirruil says that even if we follow every suggestion that's been made you can still get into the treasure rooms?"

"Yes." Syr crouched and put on her widest smile. "Locks, wards, grates," she waved her hand, "they're all deterrents and they'll make your treasures more trouble to get to than they're worth, but a good, determined thief will always find a way in."

"How would you get in if all of the suggestions were followed?"

She looked at Sirruil, "What does Syreilla's Eye tell you? Which way would I go?"

"Whenever I ask which way you can take, it looks like spiderwebs." The young dwarf put it on regardless and looked around with surprise. "There's a path in blue."

"If you followed every suggestion, even the most dangerous ones, and sealed every other way, there is one path always available."

"What path, Rook?" Orefinder looked at her thoughtfully.

"The same way the priests or anyone else allowed to enter would go in. With a key through the door. As long as even one person is allowed to walk in, you've left a door open for a thief. I enjoy getting creative, but never underestimate the simple solution."

The dwarf gave her an approving look, "I'll speak to Fellforger on your behalf. You may be worse than your father but I think I like you better, Rook."

Syr gave him a warm, genuine smile and he blinked in surprise.

"There's a sweet girl under those vicious feathers," Trueshield almost sounded teasing.

She stood up to stretch, putting on a deliberately too-wide grin, "Rooks are friendly birds! As long as you don't cross them."

Orefinder snorted and received a curt nod from Trueshield. He disappeared into the treasure rooms for a moment. Whatever he wanted wasn't far inside them, or he used a door once he was out of sight, she wasn't sure, but he came back quickly with a small carved box.

"This is what your uncle is after, Rook. He can have it with our regards."

Inclining her head as she took it, Syreilla could feel the tingle of magic from inside the box but it didn't feel... right somehow. She gave Orefinder a slight frown and arched an eyebrow at him.

"You've made friends, Rook, don't undo it with complaints." The dwarf gave her a mischievous smile and laughed as she exhaled and wrinkled her nose. "You look like an elf when you do that."

Syr huffed and put the box in the pouch slung across her shoulders. "If you keep teasing me about being half elf I'm going to start sending you beard oil and combs so you can learn how to take care of that scraggle you call a beard."

He narrowed his eyes as Trueshield and Sirruil broke into loud laughter. "As if you'd know how to take care of one, beardless as you are."

"That is hurtful, Orefinder! We learned how to look after a beard very well, thank you. I even spent years trying to get Vezar to grow one so I could keep in practice."

Chuckling with the others, Orefinder shooed her away from the treasure rooms as Sirruil hung back to speak to Trueshield. "The old man used to get testy with me for spending time with Syreilla Hammersworn. It'll be worse if he thinks I'm trying to bring you into the mine."

"Do you want me to pretend we aren't friends?"

"I don't want you to give him details, play things down if you have to. Your father can be a-"

"Syreilla?!" Kaduil interrupted him, hurrying to join them. "I wanted to walk you out to the camp and I thought I'd missed you."

"I'd like that." Syr gave him a warm smile and then glanced at Orefinder, "Did you want a demonstration on how to make dragon's fire as I go?"

"Another time." The dwarf nodded and left her with Kaduil.

They were quiet as they walked out into the blinding sunlight, it took a moment for her to remember to take off the gem around her neck.

"You'll keep your word?"

"I will, Kaduil. You can rely on a Rook. Syreilla Hammersworn would shred me from the inside if you couldn't."

He laughed softly and nodded. "That sounds like my Syr."

"I'm glad you're walking with me. I wanted you to meet Cyran and Magpie. Cyran is the one who killed the assassin."

"I heard the story from Grimgrip. He's supposed to be an impressive man, and good-hearted."

"He is. I like him. He needs some educating but I think he could take his father's place and be a good god of justice."

"And if he doesn't want to be?" Kaduil smiled up at her. "Grimgrip talked about that too."

"We'll see. I haven't quite set my mind to it but I'm leaning that way."

The dwarf laughed and took her hand, "Let the boy be what he wants. I had that problem with Syr. She wanted Sirruil to be a smith like me, and the boy is good with steel, but he had her restless nature and he needed something... more. Syr was leaning on him and it gave them both heartache."

She took a breath and nodded. "I'll try not to lean too hard. I have the habit of bullying people into doing what I want if nudging doesn't work."

"I never noticed, Syr," his dry tone made her laugh.

They walked in pleasant silence for a time until the tents came into view. Cyran came around one and looked surprised to see her. She gave him a cheerful wave.

"That's my cousin, Cyran, that I was telling you about, Kaduil. And my brother, Magpie, should be here somewhere." Syreilla glanced around, noticing that there didn't seem to be a tent out for her.

The dwarf shook his head with a smile, "Sirruil said he's a thief."

"He is, and a good one too I've been told." She gave Kwes a warm smile as he came into view.

"It's a shame you haven't let me show you." His sour expression and tone made her tilt her head slightly.

"We'll do something fun as soon as I-" She stopped and blinked as Kwes turned on his heel and stormed off. "I think he's angry with me..."

"You left us." Cyran cleared his throat and glanced away as if he were embarrassed about something.

With a sigh, she dropped to her knees to embrace Kaduil. "It seems I need to find out what the old man has been up to. He had to make sure I had a warm welcome when he dragged me out of the mine."

"You're welcome to come back, Syreilla. I'll vouch for you or Oduil will. You're family."

She gave him a kiss on the cheek. "Thank you. And now I have to go deal with this part of my family."

He breathed a laugh and nodded, stepping away as Magpie's angry voice washed over them.

"Rook! You're going to talk to me and you're going to explain yourself."

"Good luck."

Syr grimaced and turned to face the half-elf who'd come to pace angrily in front of the tents. "What exactly do I need to explain?" She paused, feeling annoyed at the pacing, "Will you stand in one place? Magpie?"

In answer, he spun on his heel and stormed off again. Throwing her hands up, she followed at a trot, intending to knock him down and make him hold still to talk.

Before she caught up to him he called over his shoulder, "That was a cruel trick, Syreilla." His attention shifted, "And who is this? You've picked the wrong camp to rob-"