Goldie

Story Info
Letting nature run its course.
4.5k words
4.76
29.6k
70
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
moreandmore
moreandmore
2,309 Followers

Something a little different.

Please read my profile for my stance on comments. Feel free to email suggestions or to start a conversation. Private messages work too.

John Prine: "And I dream of her always, even when I don't dream. Her name's on my tongue and her blood's in my stream."

= = = =

Nothing like the first day of spring to buoy your spirits. My name is Stefano, and I'm starting my adult life over. I rolled my suitcase up the jet-way into a less than crowded concourse. It's been a year since the economy cratered.

Last spring was miserable. I lost my job, Lynn left me, and then my remaining grandparents were gone within weeks of each other. Eventually I could no longer afford my house. Starting a new job, in a new city, was something I needed. I felt lucky to be employed when so many of my friends were still looking.

The company was paying for two weeks lodging and then I was on my own. After meeting my new co-workers, I filled out the folder of forms from HR. Once those were inked, I headed back to the hotel and flopped onto my bed. Not many people staying here and the staff was going out of their way to make me feel welcome. I suspect it's been the toughest year in their lives too.

Two weeks raced by. It felt so good to be needed again. I found an apartment two miles from the work campus. On good days, which looked to be over three hundred times a year, I'd walk. Having come from a colder climate, the sunshine and warm breezes were a pleasant change.

With nothing more than a bag of groceries, and the rolling suitcase that followed me off the plane, I checked out of the hotel and into my new apartment. Just as well that I didn't have a car, as there were no parking spots available. Even the streets around the apartment building were stuffed full. The economy had forced people to double or even triple up. Six to ten people living in a two bedroom apartment wasn't unusual. Alone in my cramped two bedroom apartment had me feeling like a king. For reasons I couldn't explain, I was drawn to this unit. Maybe it was the view from my bedroom, of the nearby pond and heavily wooded park.

On the fourth floor, and without a balcony, I felt safe leaving my bedroom window open. The screen was missing, which I'd included on my move-in walk-through report. Having come from a colder climate, I still wasn't used to constant air conditioning, so I didn't use mine much. This four story building was probably built fifty years ago. There weren't enough power outlets, but I made do with extension cords.

When I returned from work, on the first Friday in my apartment, I found a bird sitting on the top of the refrigerator. A live bird, about five inches tall. It had a mostly yellow body, black wings, and a black forehead. When I approached, the bird flew across the room and planted its little claws on the edge of a curtain rod. I gave up chasing after a few more attempts. Fine! If I have to share, a bird is probably not a bad choice for a roommate.

I set a little saucer of water on the kitchen counter. Once I was no longer perceived as a threat, the yellow and black bird helped itself to a drink. Firing up my notebook, I tentatively identified my feathery friend as an American Goldfinch. The only difference from the internet picture and this bird, was that the live bird had a little tuft of black about one half inch below its beak. How fitting, I thought, I'll name her Goldie. Was this a he or a she? As flighty as Goldie was, I certainly wouldn't have a chance for a peek. What the hell, Goldie works regardless, and she's a she to me.

Good thing I didn't have a roommate. I found myself talking to Goldie while I went about my business. If I got too close, Goldie would seek a safe haven. In the morning, Goldie was gone. I left the window open and went for a run. Goldie was waiting for me when I returned. Well, if she's going to stay, I might as well see what her diet should or shouldn't include.

Back to the internet and then off to the pet store. Goldie's favorites should include sunflower, thistle, and elm seeds. Kiss that money goodbye if Goldie wasn't there when I got back. Not only was she there, she loved the seeds. As for loving me? The jury was still out. She always kept me at a safe distance.

Sunday morning it felt like somebody was looking at me. When I peeled my eyes open, Goldie was only a few feet away, on my nightstand. We stared at each other. Why? I'm not sure. When I closed my eyes, Goldie chirped at me, which cause me to open my eyes again. I guess she was training me, as all we did was stare at each other again. After thirty seconds of that, Goldie flew out of the bedroom.

I showered, shaved, and dressed lightly. Goldie was nowhere to be seen. Her seed dish was empty, so I put another little scoop out. I also refreshed her water. While out running I saw and heard a few American Goldfinches flittering about. I wondered if one of them was Goldie. As I cooled off, I met several of my neighbors, including some curious women. The three about my age were Nancy, Laura, and Josie. New blood in the neighborhood piqued their interest. No phone numbers shared, but I'd be looking for them on my next run.

Little by little Goldie accepted me. It was two weeks into our arrangement when she landed on my head. I was busy responding to emails at the time. My job was pretty demanding and I hadn't had time to even consider a social life. Goldie stayed on my head until I fidgeted a little too much, and then she found her favorite curtain rod.

Many mornings I'd find Goldie watching me from the nightstand. I fake chirped at her, and she chirped back at me. Geez, I hope I didn't chirp something inappropriate!

On my runs through the woods, I'd occasionally hear a familiar chirp, but it could have been any of the birds darting about. My runs did keep me in touch with the neighborhood ladies. Email addresses and phone numbers were eventually exchanged with some. Laura was one very shy lady who blushed every time I looked her way. Nancy and Josie gave me their information, but Laura kept hers a secret.

+ + + +

Six weeks into my new life, I had a date with one of the ladies I'd met in the food court. She worked at the bank on the street level. Donna was pursuing me more than I her. Still, it was my first date since relocating. I stuttered and stumbled my way through it. She was nice, but too intent on wearing a wedding dress. That certainly isn't me right now.

When I walked into the apartment, Goldie chirped at me, as if I'd missed curfew. I chirped back.

During my weekend run, I ran into the neighborhood ladies again. One of Laura's older friends gave me Laura's phone number. If looks could harm, Laura's friend would have a chalk outline. Laura blushed when I immediately called her number. I recognized the ring tone as a Taylor Swift song.

A few weeks later I had a date with Chrissy. She worked in the back office at the brokerage firm, also located on the first level of my office building. I'd met her in the lobby while we were waiting out a brief rain storm. Although I didn't think the date was going all that well, Chrissy pressed to see my apartment.

Goldie was on her favorite curtain rod, just watching. Chrissy didn't stay long. My impression was that she was a material girl, and that I had failed the inspection. Something about having wild birds in your apartment scared her away. Not five seconds after Chrissy left, Goldie started chirping, non-stop.

"Sorry Goldie, my bad. I see your food dish is empty. I won't let it happen again."

But chirp, chirp, chirp. I was being scolded. She was swishing her tail feathers like an exclamation point.

In the morning, as I was wiping the sleep from my eyes, I felt a little gooey spot. Looking in the mirror, it appeared to be bird shit.

"GOLDIE! What the hell?"

"CHIRP!" "CHIRP!" "CHIRP!" as her tail feathers swished.

"I said I was sorry. It won't happen again."

Goldie hopped all around on her curtain rod. She was not a happy camper. I wondered if she would still be here after work. I made sure to leave a full scoop of seeds and fresh water.

Things returned to normal for Goldie and me. She would be waiting in the morning, and only occasionally chirp at me. Although only a few months into my new job, I was training some of the new hires. That, of course, left me little time to get my own work done so I was staying up late working. Goldie wasn't shy about sitting perched on my head as I worked.

I would occasionally run into the neighborhood ladies, who began asking why I hadn't called any of them. After explaining that I was swamped at work, and that I hadn't been dating much, Josie took charge and invited me out.

Josie became my third date. It was dinner and dancing on a Friday night. I dance like I've sprained my ankle. It's not pretty. Yet, Josie seemed unconcerned. She even declined a few unsolicited invitations to dance. That made me feel pretty good. At the end of the evening, all I got was a handshake and 'Thanks, that was fun.'

Goldie was waiting quietly when I got home. I don't think she chirped at me once that weekend. Apparently I'm toeing the line to her satisfaction. That changed the following Friday night, when Josie and I had a second date. This time it was dinner and a movie. At least I got a hug and peck on the cheek from Josie, as she turned to enter her apartment building.

When I returned to my apartment, I was chirped the riot act. I knew I'd left Goldie with fresh water and a full scoop.

"What's eating you? Is another bird picking on you?"

Chirp, swish, chirp, swish, chirp, swish. Hop, hop, chirp, chirp, hop, swish, chirp!

"Whatever, I'm going to bed."

Son of a bitch if I didn't find a glob of bird shit in my hair in the morning. I didn't say a thing.

Goldie was waiting for me on the kitchen counter. It was as if I'd come home late drunk and she needed a reasonable explanation.

"CHIRP!" with a couple of tail swishes.

"Chirp to you too, you little shitter. I fed you yesterday! What's got your feathers ruffled?"

Hop, hop, hop, and then "CHIRP!" before she flew into the bedroom and out into the wild.

Well, I hope I've learned my lesson. Whatever lesson I was supposed to learn.

+ + + +

Much to my surprise, Laura and Nancy joined me on my weekend run. We talked about how jobs were going. Both made it clear that they'd like dinner and a movie, like Josie had been treated to.

"Sounds good, let me make sure I have your numbers right."

I found Nancy's number first, and called it right then.

"Is this Nancy?"

"Yes Sir, may I help you?"

"Well ma'am, I'd like to ask you out Friday night."

"Pick me up at six" she giggled.

I then called Laura, whose ring tone had changed to 'Some Enchanted Evening'.

She answered with a simple "Hello?"

"Is Laura available?"

"Who's calling?"

"This is Stefano. I can call back if this is a bad time."

"Let me get her."

Both ladies were giggling as I waited.

"This is Laura."

"Hi Laura, my name is Stefano. I've asked you out every day for the last six weeks and I'm not going to take NO for an answer this time."

Nancy shrieked "HE HAS?"

Laura was blushing big time "NO! He hasn't. This is the first time!"

Ending the call, Laura got in my face "Nancy gets Friday, so I get Saturday! Got it Mr. Stefano?"

"Yes ma'am. Saturday. This Saturday. Six on the nose. No excuses."

Tiptoeing, Laura kissed me on my cheek. That's how Lynn used to do it. Nancy followed with a peck on my other cheek.

+ + + +

Friday night, with Nancy, was interesting. She turned out to be very opinionated and wasn't shy about asking private questions. Being a somewhat reserved person, I didn't feel right about answering most.

In an attempt to get me to loosen up, Nancy turned my head and gave me a full wet tongue entangling kiss. I won't lie and say I didn't enjoy it, but things were moving way too fast for my comfort level.

The hug at the end of the evening was a very erotic pelvic grind. After so many months, I responded, but I wish I hadn't. Nancy invited me out again for Sunday night, but I lied and said I had an online conference call and needed to write a report afterwards. Rather than appear to be a total ass, I agreed to another date the following Friday.

Goldie wasted no time in chirping my ear off. She was flying back and forth. If I was in a deep mine, I'd be worried.

Saturday morning found me wiping bird shit from my scalp.

"GOLDIE! What is your problem?"

"CHIRP!"

"Chirp to you too! Knock it off or I'll take away your sunflower seeds!"

Hop, hop, swish. "CHIRP, CHIRP, CHIRP!" and then out the bedroom window. I don't know if that was a warning, to leave her sunflower seeds alone, but I didn't want to chance it. I made sure to leave a full scoop of seeds and fresh water.

+ + + +

As awkward as Friday night had been with Nancy, Saturday night with Laura was awesome. She made me feel so at ease. She was a bit aloof to start the night. By the end of the evening she was not just holding my hand but squeezing it. A peck on the cheek and gentle hug ended the evening. Still, my heart was racing.

When I got home, Goldie was on the counter eating seeds and drinking water. Not a chirp was said between us.

Not able to sleep, I sent Laura a text asking her out again next Saturday. She responded with 'Yes' and a love-struck eyes emoji. I guess she couldn't sleep either.

Sunday morning, I awoke to Goldie sitting on the nightstand. Instead of staring quietly, Goldie chirped softly a few times, before heading out into the wild.

+ + + +

My Friday night date with Nancy didn't go well. I made my exit by getting into a political argument with her. Although I actually agreed with her, I used it as an opportunity to end our relationship. Goldie said nothing until I slid into bed, and then she landed on the nightstand and chirp at me for the next ten minutes.

When I found two blobs of bird shit in my hair, Saturday morning, I wasn't surprised.

"Goldie, what's with this bird shit routine? No sunflower seeds today."

No reaction.

As I went around the apartment, Goldie watched me closely, without making a noise. Perhaps she had laryngitis from chirping at me so much the night before.

Saturday night with Laura left me with a racing heart again. This reminded me so much of my early dates with Lynn, where I couldn't wait to hear her voice again.

Goldie still had no voice, and was running short of poop. Sunday I awoke to a quiet bird staring at me.

"Happy now?"

"Chirp!"

"Good. I think I'm going to ask Laura out again."

"Chirp!"

"Glad you agree."

My dates with Laura were progressing to heavy petting sessions. Even though I was getting in well past midnight, Goldie would be up waiting for me. Sometimes on the curtain rod, and sometimes on the kitchen counter. I was trained well enough to leave her a daily scoop of seeds and fresh water.

The first time Laura came up to my apartment, Goldie sat quietly on her curtain rod. I had warned both Goldie and Laura that they'd be meeting each other. Laura thought I was kidding, but took the shock of meeting Goldie in stride.

While I 'cooked' dinner in the microwave, Laura examined my Feng shui. Through the trinkets, then the books, and finally the lone picture on my mantel.

"Who's the pretty woman?" as she held up my framed picture.

"That's Lynn, a very special lady to me. She was a nurse who succumbed to the virus last year. It's still hurts to talk about it."

As Laura put the picture back in its place, she noticed "It's inscribed 'Always and Forever - Goldie'. Is that why you named your little bird Goldie?"

"Yep" as tears clouded my vision.

Laura came up from behind and hugged me. It took a few minutes for me to recover. Life goes on.

Dinner led to a night of passion. My first time since I'd last had sex with Lynn.

After embracing and full tongue kissing, our hands roamed freely. Although I was ready to perform immediately, I took my time. Licking and kissing every newly exposed body part, Laura was more than eager to get started. Thankfully I'd relieved myself earlier in the day, so our first coupling ended only after Laura shook the bed violently. I followed shortly thereafter.

As is typical of first encounters, we snuggled and reassured each other that it was great. I wasn't lying. It was great. Not just the two times that night, but the one just before dawn.

In the morning, I heard Laura "Good morning Goldie."

Instead of the loud chirps normally directed at me, Goldie whispered "chirp chirp" before flying out into the wild. I somewhat expected bird shit in my hair, but there was none. Maybe my threat to take away the sunflower seeds was working.

"Good morning to you too lover boy. Ready to go again?"

+ + + +

After getting showered and dressed, I found Laura in the kitchen, with the coffee brewing.

Goldie turned on me. I'd fed her for months and she had never once landed on my hand. Laura put a few seeds in her palm, raised her hand a few inches, and then Goldie left the curtain rod and landed softly on Laura's hand.

"GOLDIE! You traitor! I've tried that dozens of times and squa-doodle. What a turncoat!"

Laura put a sunflower seed between her lips, tipped her face lower, and then Goldie took the seed, as if kissing Laura.

"Gag gag gag. I can't believe you two!"

"She has very high standards, which you apparently don't meet" from a beaming Laura.

After that, Goldie and Laura taunted me with their loving antics.

+ + + +

I didn't intend for things to get out of control, but I also didn't want to let Laura get away. Three months into our relationship, I proposed.

Laura responded with "If you agree to start a family, immediately after we are married, then I accept your proposal."

We sealed it with a kiss, well actually a lot more than kissing. Alright, I confess, we screwed all night and I took the morning off to recover. Life was good again.

In the morning, Goldie chirped as she flew out into the wild. Picking up the picture, Laura sternly demanded "Time to tell me the story. If we're to be married, there aren't going to be secrets."

I wasn't sure I could get through it.

"Bring it over here. Let's cuddle while I tell you a story."

Laura snuggled, feet curled under her shapely butt.

"Lynn and I met in college. Until I met you, I firmly believed she was my soulmate. I proposed to her on Christmas, and we set a date for June."

Laura snuggled harder.

"­­She was in nursing school, and they allowed her to graduate early, to help at the hospitals."

I paused, as my words were now being choked out. Laura swiped across her face, but her tears quickly reappeared.

I continued "She had asthma, which proved fatal to her, when she contracted the virus. It was before thousands had died when she tested positive. She had no idea what went wrong. Try as they might, to stay safe, several health care workers fell ill. Since we had yet to marry, I was unable to track her progress. Her parents were stuck on a cruise ship, and they couldn't follow her progress either. It wasn't until I saw her name on the list of healthcare workers who had died, that I had confirmation. Her parents tracked down her grave, a few months later."

It was my turn to join Laura in wiping the tears away.

"With her bright blond hair, my pet name for her was 'Goldie'. You can see the birth mark on her neck. She was very self-conscious about it. I told her it was like 'X marks the spot', to make it easier for the vampires. It didn't matter to me, so she gave up trying to hide it with make-up, and started displaying it proudly."

Goldie flew past us and onto the kitchen counter.

Laura took a deep breath "Your little feathered friend also appears to have a birth mark. That little black dot below her beak."

moreandmore
moreandmore
2,309 Followers
12