All Comments on 'Gone Away'

by MortonGrange

Sort by:
  • 215 Comments
LordSlamdawggLordSlamdawggabout 10 years ago
Observational nuances slit like dull razor bloodtracks on the soul

Very cerebral story. Nothing really happened, but the narrator's eyes being opened. I' m torn between disgust and admiration at how the wife departed. Yes, she cheated, but she left behind nearly all joint, accrued, material goods as atonement. Him forcing that division one-upped her, with the final trump of rejecting her unspoken offer of reconciliation.

Loved the author's skill with very, brief but vivid depiction of abjectl coward/ self righteous hybrid of Harry . Developing supporting characters who set the table for ultimate face-off between man & wife in this genre is only done by top tier of authors . MortonGrange already the quality , if not the quantity of stories to become one of those elite writers. *****

AnonymousAnonymousabout 10 years ago
Anon

That was surprisingly good. My one concern would be that you tried to hard with the language, you don't need to prove your intelligence with big, complicated words if you can use smaller, every day words that fit better. You don't want to disrupt the flow.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 10 years ago
I was going to comment but

I noticed lordslamdawgg has just done one of his typical rambling rants so I won't

chytownchytownabout 10 years ago
READERS DIGEST***

Would have loved this story, but no you send it to a sex site. From your opening comments I thought you had something different to offer, There are at least 20-25 stories on this site with the same storyline. Thanks for sharing not a great, but a good read.

betrayedbylovebetrayedbyloveabout 10 years ago
Well

Strange tale. A coward cheating wife disappears on her clueless faithful loving husband with not so much as a note. Fucking cunt was a despicable low-life and deserves nothing and no one. Sounds black and white to me. You're a talented writer. Start making sense.

No rating

funksofunksoabout 10 years ago
Good story

Tired of commenters and what they think should or shouldn't make a story on LW. Not enough sex? A lot of stories here have none. Too similar to others? Sorry, if we're going for realism then there's only so many tunes here, and new ways to put them. A good story is a good story regardless, and the husband having to track down a. Missing wife? I don't see that often and I liked it.

Imagine73Imagine73about 10 years ago
Thoughtful work

I liked this story. Complex situation, believable characters. What's not to like? Good writing. Thanks.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 10 years ago
excellent story

The site a story is published on isn't all that relevant. As for déja vue, I'm sure most, if not all, stories on this site have elements that have been heard or read somewhere else too.

It's the combination that counts. What I liked in this story is the lack of violence or extreme revenge, etc.. no , just sober and to the point. he read the messages, tracked Harry, found out more about her and just confronted her. No excessive drama, no dragging out which would have spoilt the story. Just short and good. Finished, over and out and move on. Thank youy Morton. Bring us more.

tae352001tae352001about 10 years ago
5 star story

Excellent story, what's more, real close to real life marriage breakups. I enjoyed the ending, of course they were not going to be friends, how selfish, you walk, no, you sneak off to a lover, an ex to be exact, because he was rich, and had a future you desired. You admitted to sharing your problems with your lover/ex over your devoted husband, yet you want to be friends over drinks. Grass is never greener else where, in the end you are a cheat and someone that cannot be trusted. I could not see selling anything and splitting with her. I would have simply said my good byes enjoy life in hopes you are miserable and hope karma is a real bitch. What is the sad part, Neville will have to start over, nothing wrong with that, its just how many passing women in his life looked at him with loving eyes, all the while he was married to a woman that desired other things in life and did not want to grow old with him. If this was truly based on real events, I hope the Neville found someone worthy to be his life partner.

BriteaseBriteaseabout 10 years ago
Excellent

Could be true

tazz317tazz317about 10 years ago
TRUST...VERIFY......FIND CLOSURE

and then move on and up with your life, TK U MLJ LV NV

FD45FD45about 10 years ago
Well

The best part was the fact he wouldn't have a drink with her. Sorry DaYaKen, but that drinkathon with 'She picked Us' still rankles.

I also appreciated that she finally relished what she had as she runs about, head low, feeling desperately lonely with the wolves at the door. One wonders what happens when she is sick for the first time. No hubby a phone call away.

I think I'd have liked a bit more closure with the parents. As described, if I were the main character, I'd have had DC Thompson head to their place tuit suite to get a LEGAL record of what they knew. It's all fun and games until Johnny Law comes knowing at the door.

A mixed up story but with closure. People making choices with limited information (Sophie) and a man seeking answers which he is likely to find unpalatable.

Realistic. Not sexy. Reasonably well told. It described the emotions but it didn't wallow in them, some 5 page monstrosity which only has a single conversation.

I enjoyed it even if it wasn't a happy tale.

DeYaKenDeYaKenabout 10 years ago
Great story

It was well thought out and believable.

I loved the ending. (I know it is not really the end, they would have to talk about property) For the people concerned the talking was over. he knew he would always be first reserve, while she looked for her star player.

I liked the way you led us towards reconciliation then away and back again.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 10 years ago
So he tracks her down, assaults another man, breaks into his home

Traps his soon to be ex wife...then says he can't forgiv her cheating? Really? What a fucking wanker! He should be in prison. And Sophie? Seriously? She left because she made him unhappy? What. The. Fuck?

He already knew she cheated. He already knew she left him. He already knew she wasn't coming back so why the melodrama? Closure? Sex? He as much admitted that he wanted her back so all of a sudden he can't forgive her?

Bloody wanker.

northstanderrhinonorthstanderrhinoabout 10 years ago
Up to standard

Well written on par with Caroline Alone, keep writing.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 10 years ago
stories of the mentally ill are seldom erotic, she is right she needs a head doctor

the only right one and the only well one is the husband

AnonymousAnonymousabout 10 years ago
Excellent Story

Great story. Well written, well put together, kept my interest right up to the end. I Liked the ending. He left to start a new life without her.

reasonablemanreasonablemanabout 10 years ago
Powerful story! 5 stars

I hope you keep submitting stories. Your stories are always thoughtful and grab the reader's attention. A couple of things seem missing in this one. Why wasn't Sophie's dad more concerned about his daughter? Harry and the police seemed to think Sophie's leaving was the husband's fault. Was there more than her online romance with Harry. Was Sophie aware of something that her husband did that wasn't revealed in the story?

If Sophie left simply because she thought she'd be happier with Harry then no reconciliation would work. She claims that she thought he'd be less traumatized by her disappearance than for her to tell him "I'm not happy. I'm leaving you to be with my lover." That is hard to believe. Not to mention that she left a train wreck behind her. Her ex-employer was left hanging and she apparently cut herself off from all of her friends. Poor Sophie isn't grounded in reality and would be a poor choice for a companion for life. Thanks for writing.

looking4itlooking4itabout 10 years ago

Interesting story and possibly one of the more true to life ones here at lit. There were no drawn out reasons, simply thought, cause and effect. Simplicity. Well done and refreshing.

HarddaysknightHarddaysknightabout 10 years ago
Well written and thoughtful.

Not a "feel good" story. It was more of a "feels real" sort of thing. Well done.

t_i_n_at_i_n_aabout 10 years ago
great prose.

So why did you let someone hiding behind anonymity stop you from posting regularly? Ignor them!

AnonymousAnonymousabout 10 years ago
Well played

But certainly not a feel good story. Sophie was a selfish woman more concerned about her feelings than anything else. At the end, he was well shod of her. Well written but unhappy story, closer to real life than most. Don't let the crazy anon's chase you off. If the comments offend you, turn them off and keep posting. Thanks for this one.

bruce22bruce22about 10 years ago
Very interesting and highly enjoyable

I really that there was at least one story of this quality every day. The same series of events with different personalities would lead to a completely different ending.

MitchFraellMitchFraellabout 10 years ago
A great story

It could well be true. Sophie ran away imagining the marriage was already broken. Yes it was getting stale but work on it if you want it, otherwise split up. So she simple went away without telling him there was a problem. That does happen.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 10 years ago
Very well written.

Good story, no happy ending but they both have the rest of their lives to work on one, just not together. Thanks for sharing your talent.

Harryin VAHarryin VAabout 10 years ago
massive plots holes

let me if I have this right.... His wife doesn't show up at . Nobody knows where she is. She has been missing for more than 24 hours. So the husband says in the voicemail ... Again after missing for 24 hours " I don't know where you are and worried?

REALLY??

He finally calls for her parents to let them know that their daughter has been missing for more than 24 hours. And they are not in the least bit worried??

Harryin VAHarryin VAabout 10 years ago
She was sorry I'd been hurt, ... REALLY ? where does she say that?

This is Just AWFUL... she leaves without a note or trace... and the Police get Involved with 75% time means the husband get blamed or even arrested. and of course this never comes up in the final conversation..

How does Neville come to conclude that the wife is SORRY she hurt him? How is this part of the conversation even REMOTELY an a apology?

"I care for you. I thought running away would hurt you least. That way you didn't have to know I'd run to another man. At least, that's what I thought."

"You'd rather I imagined you dead than a cheat?"

"I'm sorry but it seemed the right thing at the time."

ANYONE? she is sorry that she thought like an idiot, NOT sorry for her actions

AnonymousAnonymousabout 10 years ago
Frankly, Scarlett

It was difficult to give a damn.

They should have both left, preferably the day after the wedding.

Morton Grange is such a good writer.

The Duel and Caroline Alone are saved as Favorites.

I don't know what this was all about?

I gave it a 5 just to offset Harry's usual inane blithering which always begins with his middle-of-the-night exegesis of scripture in his lust for "plot holes".

If Harry's criticism had been based on lack of passion rather than actuarial analysis, I would have agreed.

Come on, Morton, dig up those rusty swords or deny Caroline the fruits of her dalliance or do fucking something. In the end, there needs to be a story. Whether it ends in "They lived happily ever after" which Harry would hate or whether the end looks like Hamlet with scarcely enough characters left to cart off the bodies which the BTB crowd would love, there simply must be some bang, not just this whimper.

Get yourself a double single-malt, sit down and ponder larger passions.

Good luck. I like you.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 10 years ago
Missing the emotional part of this story.

Author - you obviously did much better with Caroline & The Duel.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 10 years ago
well

that is one erotic story, perfect for valentines day

BTTapBTTapabout 10 years ago
Excellent work

Really good stuff from a top writer. I enjoyed every part of this story. The mystery, the emotions, the confrontation, the little bit of humor of the author/narrator poking fun at some of the elements of this sort of story-amusing. Honestly, I didn't realize that English and American are so different until I read this tale.

I think that there was a ton of truth in this story. This is how a marriage/relationship devolves and dies. Interesting that each of the main characters have very different views of the relationship: where it was, where it might go. A fine post-script to a failed marriage. The author incorporates humanity in both characters that makes this reader hope both characters grow and find happiness.

The wife was kind of shit-hole stupid to really think hubby would be happier if she just vanished, however. Hubby is probably better off without her.

koosewatcherkoosewatcherabout 10 years ago
Not forgiven

I'm not usually the forgiving type, however a ten year marriage should rate a lady one drink and a few minutes conversation! Then possibly after some time and effort, a reconciliation! He has some wrongs to account for also. Her things were disposed of with little thought or care for a long term wife's, much less friends feelings!

AnonymousAnonymousabout 10 years ago
Ending feels unresolved...

Even with their last conversation their relationship still feels unresolved. And, as there was no physical relationship with another; a possible reconciliation wouldn't be far-fetched.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 10 years ago

Neville should have told the slut Sophie that old Harry wouldn't be fucking anymore wives for awhile as he had slapped the shit out of him and kneed him I his worthless balls

phill1cphill1cabout 10 years ago
NOT Erotic

It was well written. But I didn't connect with any of the characters. And, it was decidedly NOT erotic.

sugnasugnaabout 10 years ago
So Stupid I Could Believe it Happened!

This story seems too real. I can believe that a couple got married and then just let the marriage sit there. No talk of kids. No plans for the future. Just roommate fuck buddys that never really bothered to get to know each other. I have seen this before, they just drift into marriage and expect it to take care of itself. Both of them are to blame for this stupidity. Either of them could have taken the lead. In most marriages it is the woman who sets the pace, because for most of us, marriage is about kids and family. A woman's pussy is the gateway to that goal. She is (still) most often the primary caregiver to the kids as well. What bothered me was that the in-laws seem to have known something and just let him twist in the wind. I can understand a screwy wife, but the father in law should have manned up. Eh, in many ways, this was a non-story, but it was well written and a change of pace from the usual fare.

MattblackUKMattblackUKabout 10 years ago
Another 5* story from a top storyteller

Felt his pain. A sad and truthful story.

We do need more from you.

artykay63artykay63about 10 years ago
that is interesting

The number of sensible and constructive comments is almost enough to restore one's faith. It is well written and uncannily realistic. Years ago I lived in a flat above a guy whose wife was a librarian. This story is exactly what happened to him. It damned nearly killed him. He went from a normal friendly guy to wreck in the space of a week, even developing a severe stammer.

Great stuff. Thanks.

chilleywilleychilleywilleyabout 10 years ago
Very good

Seemed they had a boring marriage. He was comfortable, she not so much. Actually it sounded like she was depressed, thinking so poorly of herself, feeling she must be dragging him down with her. The the life line, an old friend, kind and commensurate, a chance to start over...only to see there was nothing there either. She was a real nowhere girl.

I understand him clearing out of her stuff, it was removing the traces of her, so she would be more quickly gone from his life. And at the end, maybe there was something in her longing for him, but she couldn't say it, she was still ambivalent, emotionally tongue tied, and wanted alcohol to loosen her mind...but she had rejected him and there was no welcome mat out when he found her, so it was tit for tat, him rejecting her lame offer of friendship.

It ended, their marriage ended in a deserted street with the only motion the wind blowing trash.

Chilley

njlaurennjlaurenabout 10 years ago
Well written

And in a very British way,it kind if reminds me of the world of le carre,grim,cold.Sophie is an amazing character in that she is totally clueless as to what she did,she decides to leave hubby,just walks out,leaves her job hanging,and thinks that is the best way?She doesn't think Neville will worry? And she expects to get another teaching position? You can tell where she got it from,her parents take the cake,they knew what was happening and thought it was okay? And then she has the gall to say it was for him? Whatever neville was, she went off the deep end,whether she had sex with harry or not,and as much of a romantic as I am,she wouldn't be worth the effort,would take a lot of therapy to make her realize how fucked up her parents made her.....

guyk1963guyk1963about 10 years ago
More's the pity...

I find it rather unfortunate that you've found your efforts are wasted here...but these are your words, your stories...a piece of you. I will not battle you over something so dear to you. I will say that this story does indeed take a rather frequent tale, and adds a very fascinating and unique blend to the characters. I look forward to any future past stories that you find may fit in on this forum.

starmanfivestarmanfiveabout 10 years ago
Story telling at its best!

The story was well constructed like a 1st class film-noir detective novel. MortonGrange is an author of unprecedented good, and original stories. This one is no different. It is not just a rehash of old themes. Most of the runaway 'bride' stories are not treated with this finesse. The simple detective work and sound reasoning behind solving this mystery were outstanding. Dashiell Hammett would be proud!

Vulcan_in_OhioVulcan_in_Ohioabout 10 years ago
Well-written, sad tale

This story, among other things, shows how differently the Brits think (compared to us Yanks). Neville forced his way into another man's home (Harry's) and assaulted and threatened him. In America, if Harry had grabbed a weapon and defended himself, he would have been justified. Neville choked Harry, then grabbed a bottle, broke it, and threatened to use it, so shooting or stabbing Neville would have been self-defense.

In the UK, defending one's self and one's home lands one in jail! But even in the fucked up UK system, Harry could have filed an assault charge with the police. I suspect Neville would have been charged and convicted. It would have at least cost him a lot to fight the charges. Interestingly, we are led to believe that Harry let it go; otherwise, Neville would have been arrested.

We also have Neville getting rid of Sophie's things awfully quickly. Almost as if he knew she was dead. Or at least dead to him. That's pretty cold. Just like the way he left her at the coffee shop in the end. Politely, and with little emotion. James Bond (or Le Carre, as was pointed out). It's no wonder she left him; obviously he never really loved her. The way she did it was cold too, suggesting she did not love him either. Dark story, rings true in an odd way.

JackorChuckJackorChuckabout 10 years ago
Enjoyed

I enjoyed your story, I dont know anyone who has this happen to, but I can imagine that if your wife failed to come home you would be overcome with worry. Thank you.

rightbankrightbankabout 10 years ago
If he truly felt the way he said he did at the very end

Why did he try to find her?

She wanted to open the door, have a drink, talk, and he slammed the door!!

She was right to leave.

likeboblikebobabout 10 years ago

Good little story but sad also. Thanks for posting. I hope to see more from you.

ariesgirlariesgirlabout 10 years ago

What a stupid woman. She could've had the decency to leave a goodbye note or sent Neville an email. I can understand her disappearing if she was abused or Neville cheated on her but her excuse was the cowardly way out.

Neville isn't a wimp for looking for Sophie. He needed to find out what happened to her and get some closure.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 10 years ago
Must be good:

Britease likes it, HDK likes it. Harry doesn't like it.

What more can an author want?

Just for the record, I liked it.

reasonablemanreasonablemanabout 10 years ago
Please keep writing!

I thought we had a new star on this site when your Caroline/Duel stories were posted so close together. You have a great ability to convey real feelings with mystery. A quick review of the comments to this story proves your ability to move readers. Of course you will get stupid reviews from morons but they are the exceptions. E.G. why did he slam the door on wifey when he found her? A: He didn't know what happened to her and why she left him. When he found out he finally realized she wasn't worth spending the time over a drink with. Thanks again for your work. I look forward to more from you.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 10 years ago
1*

MortonGrange is correct in his forward to this story. His writing is old and boring!

LOL !

He definitely needs to stop !

These english are a hilarious people . Except when they write this stuff.

AMerryMan

TornadoTysTornadoTysabout 10 years ago
Sad Tale !

I did feel for Neville which is testament to the authors good writing skill to convey emotion in the story.

Perhaps there could be a ch.2 were Sophie tries to get back with her husband. As the story describe she was in her own fantasy and was unaware of what the real world is actually like to be on your own !

AnonymousAnonymousabout 10 years ago
Aitchêm says:

5*!!!

Kundos, finally a (rare) writer of excellent prose who does not depict cunt-struck, pussy-whipped or violent husbands but men who keep their pride intact and react with determination.

tiger46tiger46about 10 years ago
Good story

Always look forward to stories from intelligent writers like you. There are precious few on this site, but enough to make it worthwhile.

griz375griz375about 10 years ago
Excellent work

Thank you for that - it was a great bit of writing

WilsonMeisterWilsonMeisterabout 10 years ago
Excellent - Well Written…!

I've known quite a few Couples like them, simply fade away through escapism…

Usually one of which is TOTALLY in the Dark as to the Cause of the Break-up…

VERY sad but VERY true to life

BfreetorunBfreetorunabout 10 years ago
If there is another chapter and she wants to come back I hope he declines.

By saying "Fuck you, bitch, you ran off before and you probably would do it again. I won't let you hurt me twice!" Or, if she emails him, just never answer her. Sell the house and don't give her any money, maybe send her thirty pieces of silver.

TavadelphinTavadelphinalmost 10 years ago
A pretty vicious way to be "nice"

She failed - as so many do - to really think about what her supposedly caring better solution meant once she bailed -

He has the strength to look it in the face and she does not - he needs to move on seems like he will -

She should pay full price and know what she did - now she does - see if it makes a better person out of her.

Drbeamer3333Drbeamer3333almost 10 years ago
Interesting tale

Thanks for the offering.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 10 years ago
idiota

this is te real ending they divorced she got married again but realized that she sill loved the shit out of him he the same way ended up alone got aids from street whore and a year later he blew his brainz out lik the real pussy he was and harry went to a box club and ended up with an 18 girl who later gave him 2 kids

i waisted time reading this !!!! every normal man would take her back if she wanted to come back and realized the mistake i know i would if i loved her so much but it would be on my terms !!!

calflashcalflashover 9 years ago
silly woman

so many stories talk about men who don't grow up or revert to their earlier life. It's amazing that at least as many women do the same. Why don't people learn to "grow up"

angiquesophieangiquesophieover 9 years ago
wonderful

i liked the story very much. it felt real and was original.

i think there couldn't have been another solution.

thanks.

Chief3BlanketChief3Blanketover 9 years ago
Pretty real life story

It is both amazing and sad how we humans can have a wonderful loving relationship with each other, and then for really no rational reason destroy it.

AnonymousAnonymousover 9 years ago
Well written. Ended for the best.

Great plot, character development, logical compelling story. Obviously this was not an honest loving relationship. And give her credit for ending it. They may both end up with true lovers in their future, and that is a nice thought to depart from this story. There are several good reasons why he was right to walk away, but the most compelling is that she is really not intelligent enough to be his wife. Or any man's wife at this point in her life. Maybe she will wise up and end up OK. He will do fine without her, since he will finally come to realize that she had left the relationship long before she abandoned their home. Give her a second chance? Maybe after the divorce is final and he can view her as just one of several options to his future. She would never have contacted him if he had not found her, so what does that say about her desire for reconciliation? Despite his regard for their marriage, she did not share it. A sad investment of time and emotions. Better to find out before children and greater dependency complicates the inevitable separation.

Nicely done. Thank You.

carvohicarvohiover 9 years ago
Oh come on...

This marriage is eminently salvageable. Sophie's sick; emotionally and intellectually she's a basket case. Neville even sees it. What's his problem? If ever a wife needed a husband she does. It's time for Neville to man up. Take her and embrace her. Offer her the love and attention she craves.

javmor79javmor79about 9 years ago
5 star story

Excellent story packed with a lot of emotion. I can't see this story ending any other way. I do think that she was remorseful about her choice and normally that would be enough to make me consider starting on a reconciliation. But her choice was packed with so much baggage that it isn't simply a matter of feeling bad.

1. She cheated for the duration of their marriage. From the very beginning she proved herself untrustworthy

2. Instead of telling him and leaving him she simply cut and ran. She said it was to make things easier on him but she was still lying. This makes things easier on HER. She didn't want to deal with the confrontation that her choices had led her to. She knew she was wrong and she simply didn't want to face his hurt and his rage.

3. She did the same thing to her new lover. She simply cut and ran. She didn't even own up to THAT mistake.

People have a "flight or fight" response when dealing with tough situations. Her first instinct is flight. Then she sits back and thinks about it, and her second instinct is flight. She is a runner and she has no sense of loyalty. She even ran from her job. She didn't formally quit or anything. She just disappeared. She doesn't have what it takes to make something like a marriage work. Unless she gets serious help, she will always be a runner. Being married to an emotional coward is not something that you want to do. You will forever be waiting for the moment that she will cut and run. He isn't at war with another man, he is at war with her cowardice. Even if she never cheated again he can't relax in the safety of his marriage. Every time things went wrong and she got a little sad he would have to ask himself "is this the time?"

That is why he can't go back to her. Owning up to the cheating is just one half of the puzzle. Her cheating was simply a symptom of her real issue. When things get tough, she runs.

SplitAcesSplitAcesabout 9 years ago
Carvohi has a good heart

And he may be right, but after all the pain she's caused him with no guarantees it will get better, I can't blame him for cutting his losses. She deliberately, with careful planning shat on him from a great height. She seems remorseful, but that could just be for her failed plans. If she is ill, he could be the wrong person to try to help her as he would have to be a saint to not take things personally.

sdc97230sdc97230about 9 years ago
Neville isn't what Sophie needs

What she needs is a psychologist and several months worth of counseling and possibly some antidepressants. If she won't go that route, then Neville is doing the right thing by leaving, because if he tries to bring her home she will almost surely turn into the loveless harridan she says she's trying to keep away from him.

tazz317tazz317almost 9 years ago
IS THAT REALLY THE WAY TO SPLIT THE SHEETS

speak and go asunder. TK U MLJ LV NV

rightbankrightbankalmost 9 years ago
If that is how he was during the marriage

no wonder she left.

loveoverlustloveoverlustalmost 9 years ago
Ditto Carvohi .

Initially, I had assumed her to be a typical selfish adulteress .Stupid & bitchy. However,the end changed things.She surely seems to be sick,needing help.

If, not as a husband,then, just as a friend.

chilleywilleychilleywilleyalmost 9 years ago
What tallent!

Home writing suduco instead of Stories to amuse. Tens of thousands of readers, like me who recognize really good writing from crap. Your stuff is really good

Chilley

AnonymousAnonymousover 8 years ago
poor harry

got smacked about for fuck all lol--she is one confused puppy

xtchrxtchrover 8 years ago
Don't Understand!

I don't understand all the comments picking on the husband. He did nothing wrong. His wife ran off without a word to hook up with another guy. They may not of had sex but she ran from her husband to this other man. The husband thought the marriage was good - not great - but good. As usual he had no clue to the wife's thinking. This woman had problems. Didn't they talk or did she ever mention anything to the husband after being married ..11 years I think? No, this woman took the easy way out and just ran without a word. I don't think I would have tracked her down once I knew she was safe and just ran after another man, but then there wouldn't have been a story. When he finally found and talked to her, I was glad that he didn't want a drink with her and just said it was over. A perfect ending.

What made the story interesting was that she never really cheated on him but she wanted something better. Nothing wrong with that but she just went about it the wrong. The one thing most of these stories have in common is that the couples don't talk to each other. Thank you for a very good story.

AnonymousAnonymousover 8 years ago
Are all Brits fags

Or all fags Brits?

LordSlamdawggLordSlamdawggover 8 years ago
@ previous anonymous twit

Whatever . All that's sure is that you will carry on in your troll lair. I will go back to Bach, accidently indebted to you for reminding me of an excellent story.

green117green117over 8 years ago
@LSD

Bach while reading LW literature?

Kinky!

Green-something

xiluaxiluaabout 8 years ago
rubbish

I do not know about this author, real personal life, but not fucking hot blooded male would be a calm, rational wuss in these type of situation. It would be bloody hell for real. Now, I do not know if this author just have a penchant for characterizing British males as being nothing but a bunch of wuss.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 8 years ago
Well written

Aspects of real life. Despicable, unlikeable characters. Sure no fun to read.

Chief3BlanketChief3Blanketalmost 8 years ago
How I read it

I found it to be realistic and about a fellow who really needed to know why his wife just ran off in order for him to get closure.

laptopwriterlaptopwriteralmost 8 years ago
Nicely done-

Good plot and well written.

McAnonMcAnonalmost 8 years ago
Reality

I enjoyed this sorry tale but it mirrored real life for a change. No supercharged sexual conquest just a growing apart, too easy to happen but I enjoyed the calm way it was played out.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 8 years ago
He's better off

He's better off without her and her flakey attitude. She'd rather sneak off like a thief than talk to him like a real wife. She makes all the decisions about their marriage without letting him know. Well, let her make all her own decisions now. She doesn't need to be burdened with things like someone to share her good and bad days. Someone to take care of her when she's sick. Someone to listen to her when she has a problem that she can't solve. Someone to lean on when she's old. She can now do all these things by herself without the burden of him. Good choice sweetie. You'll have such a better life now that you've run away.

AnonymousAnonymousover 7 years ago
Nicely written

"You did nothing. I thought I'd made a mess of my life and decided I had to start again. I was unhappy and no good for you."

Almost verbatim what my wife said. She'd made a mistake and ran off with her first boyfriend. We'd been married for 5, almost 6 years when she suddenly didn't come home from work. In my case it was through her parents I found what happened. Believe me, when a wife doesn't come home, only the worst comes to mind.

Also in my wife's case, it didn't work out. Tom had put on over 150 pounds from when they dated before and was an Air Force mechanic. With little money and living on base, he wasn't what she remembered. Her memory was of the young football player who popped her cherry in his bedroom when his parents weren't there.

She came back after only 4 months. Thankfully she didn't return to my house, instead, Janet went to her parents. She had been home about a week before I heard of her return. It was two more weeks before she came to my house, with her parents in tow.

Of course she tearfully apologized, saying it was the worst decision of her life. I agreed. She and her parents sat on the couch, I sat across from them in my recliner. They presented a unified front, all three of them making excuses and begging me to forget and forgive.

I agreed to forgive, but never to forget. I finally asked them all to leave and before they did, I handed her our papers of dissolution.

Later I heard she went back to Tom and they were married a year later. It took me 5 more years to remarry to a wonderful woman. Janet ended up divorced from Tom after he cheated on her, the same as their first time together. She lives in our hometown again and my wife and I see her from time to time.

Life is good.

dissmissdissmissover 7 years ago
Another good read.

I'm a bit surprised that he didn't go and visit her parents, check out what they knew, or didn't know.

Certainly, having come home to find he had had a visitor I think he should have changed the locks.

Sadly for me at least, this tale kind of fizzled out. The drama was building and although I agree totally with him walking away, I think there was room for a bit more excitement ... tears ...... angst ?

But then, that he walked away so coldly was well deserved.

It's your story and I enjoyed it ...... 5 *

AnonymousAnonymousover 7 years ago
3*s

MortonGrange lack of exciting fiction, is only surpassed by his talent at writing📟📺.

I come here for the over-the-top fiction. If I wanted this much realism I would attend the local courthouse.

Gave him 3*s.

Thanks for the story.

AMerryman

AnonymousAnonymousover 7 years ago
THREE

Years ago I gave this a 1*.

I'm becoming a softy in my old age👴,lol.

AMerryman

gabaagabaaabout 7 years ago
Very Good

I enjoy this author's work and I wish that there was a lot more of it. Deep feelings are conveyed with restraint. For me the result is both more realistic and more powerful than a lot of hysterical emoting.

MaFreplerMaFreplerabout 7 years ago
There is a real problem with this story

Your main characters are stupid and don't act like real people. wife runs away because she thinks she wants to be with old lover, but then she doesn't, but she runs away anyway? That's just ridiculous. You have your characters doing things merely because that's what your plot requires. So I'm not buying any of it.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 7 years ago
Boring!!!!

Boring!!!! Boring!!!!

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 7 years ago

A story I rather not read, it was boring.

PencarrowPencarrowalmost 7 years ago
Even a second reading a year later

leaves me feeling a little ambivalent towards both characters. They both seem superficially written and I found it hard to invest much emotion for either character, but I suppose the sparseness of the story demands that to some extent. Still, I rate it a good 4 stars and the author is one of my all-time favourites.

Between them, CHILEYWILLEY and NJLAUREN, way back on 16 Feb 2014, have some very perceptive thoughts on the story and they pretty well echo my own.

nancyharpman17nancyharpman17almost 7 years ago
A Story Of Ambivalence

I have no clearer an idea of how they feel about each other than they do. As stories go, this is no better than average. Probably less than average.

Rockyderek_caRockyderek_caalmost 7 years ago
Good stuff

Just re read sll your work. Thanks for posting!

AnonymousAnonymousover 6 years ago
A cultural exposition?

The rage and emotion when confronting her aborted lover was excellent and compelling. But the subtle understated exchange when he found Sophie was so underwhelming and a bit puzzling. She never really loved and committed herself to this man. She never risked revealing her inner self to this man she agreed to become wife to. It was a marriage of convenience and opportunity; she settled, apparently. Whatever enthusiasm and spirit she possessed she kept from her husband. She became worse than bored, she became indifferent. Then when another man, a new adventure became an option, she simply walked away from her vows, her responsibilities as wife and partner. She was right to think herself no longer worthy to be this man's wife. She is currently not worthy to be any man's wife.

But the lack of emotion and anguish communicated at the coffee shop communicates everything that was lacking in this relationship. There was no soul, no energy, no enthusiasm for each other. He was right, they should have never married. Maybe he will be more discerning and intelligent with his next relationship. Her problems will require more work to correct.

Well done. Thank you for your time and talent.

timrivtimrivover 6 years ago

Another wimpy husband who's pride and ego is bruised so he would rather spend the rest of his life being the martyr than forgiving her and working to fix their problems. Total crap if you ask me but typical of these type of stories.

AnonymousAnonymousover 6 years ago
lordslummydawg is hilarious

In his comment on ''The Duel'' lsd casts MortonGrange as a less than talented writer who with much effort and practice might better his, at best, adequate ability.

Now lsd exalts this author as being at the top of the elite literotica writers.

lsd might want to check his meds and his memory.

Perhaps we should set up a fund

AnonymousAnonymousover 6 years ago
Never reading another story of yours ever again

Is this how Brits express their anger? Their balls fall off? He didn't have to burn her, but he's a spineless, overly-polite gimp. Fuck his pain

cabbage01132cabbage01132over 6 years ago
Is this how Brits express their anger?

yes anonny it is! we are very indifferent to a lot of things. we don't rant and rave and throw our teddys out of the cot, we just have a moan then move on..

perhaps he should have pulled out his manly gun and shot her in the face or got seal team six to deal with her, perhaps sell her to a whorehouse in a third world country.

perhaps he could have got her to cuckold him with a big black cock lover? (a big american pastime if you use most of the stories in loving wives as a guide to a countries menfolk.

toodle pip.

5* btw

tazz317tazz317over 6 years ago
WIFES LAMENT

locate a doctor to sign off on her imagined faults, self-infllcted, and into the future, TK U MLJ LV NV

AnonymousAnonymousover 6 years ago
Don't Get Comments

Very creative. Real. Sad. Disappointing. Saddening. But true characters.

Wish author would come back.

Anonymous
Our Comments Policy is available in the Lit FAQ
Post as:
Anonymous
userMortonGrange@MortonGrange
I post occasional writing that fits the loving wives brief. If a few readers enjoy my stories it is enough to make writing worthwhile. But the main reward for the author is to get feedback, positive or negative, from those who have read my story. Readers have to make an eff...