Gone to Kansas Ch. 01

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

I could tell Mr. Danny was a little more on edge on our return trip than on our trip in, I guess I couldn't blame him, there was a lot of money tied up in our load. We had a half dozen new Henry repeaters, a half dozen new colt pistols along with a couple of Sharps breech loading rifles, not to mention ammunition and a bunch of other household items. If we were robbed, it would be hard to overcome the loss!

Luckily, we didn't have any problems with anything on our return trip home, except it took five days for the return which put us back on Tuesday. The wet ground with the heavier load slowed us down considerably.

When we pulled up to our store Heidi and Ellie ran out to meet us, they were excited and both asking questions about our journey at the same time. Mr. Danny told them to calm down, that we'd tell them all about the trip once we got the horses put up.

We got the wagon unhitched and the horses put up, then we went in the store to get something for lunch before we unloaded the wagon. Momma was there and gave me and Mr. Danny a big hug and a kiss and told us to clean up and she'd get lunch on the table.

During lunch Heidi and Ellie asked a million questions about Hermann and what all we did there. They also asked if I'd gone to Kroner's store to get their stuff. I told them I had but it had cost more than they sent along. "How much more," asked Heidi?

"Two dollars more, so you girls owe me big!"

"We can each give you another dollar," replied Ellie!

"That, or another months' worth of pies," I replied!

"No, we'll just give you the money, we don't like baking that much," said Heidi!

About that time Mr. Danny piped up and told momma and the girls about the special treatment I'd received from Mrs. Kroner! I was turning red with embarrassment hearing Mr. Danny's embellished tale! It sounded way more inappropriate than what really happened. Momma was smiling and the girls both thought Mrs. Kroners actions were not very lady like, and wondering how Mr. Kroner didn't get angry over her behavior?

"Well, you can't hardly blame her, with Zeb being such a handsome, strapping young man," replied momma!

I turned even redder at mommas' compliment and both my sisters just giggled at my obvious embarrassment!

We also told them about the fight we saw in the tavern. Heidi asked if we stepped in to help the poor man that had got beaten so badly? Mr. Danny explained to her, that it was two men both willing to fight out their differences and it wasn't something that should be interfered with. Both men knew the risks of their actions and as an outsider it would have been hard to tell who should be helped and who should be left to get a beating! Heidi didn't really seem to understand, but it made a lot of since to me. Thinking back on the incident I couldn't say who actually was in the wrong and stepping in would possibly mean helping the wrong guy.

Once we finished up our lunch, we went to start unloading the wagon. It took us several hours to unload the items and put them where they belonged, once we were done with that, I worked the store counter while momma and my sisters caught up on some of the things, they didn't get a chance to do while we were gone.

That evening while we were sitting around eating supper momma said the mail came and she'd gotten a letter from her youngest sister Helen, and it had some bad news.

"What's going on with Aunt Helen and Uncle Tom," I asked?

Mom began to tear up a bit, she went on to say that Uncle Tom had been killed after finishing a cattle drive and that the murderers took all the money made from the cattle sales. The money from selling the cattle was needed to get them through the next year.

Apparently, Uncle Tom was traveling back home and was robbed and killed along the way. Uncle Tom had one of his hired hands riding with him and that's the only reason Aunt Helen knew what happened.

Uncle Tom and Aunt Helen lived in the Southeastern part of Kansas, just outside a little town called Sedan. It was a town about the size of ours, probably not more than a hundred or so people lived in it. Uncle Tom had a cattle ranch a couple miles out of town. Every year he'd make a cattle drive to Baxter Springs, about ninety miles east of Sedan. The railroad came through there and it was where most of the cattle in the area were driven to.

Momma went on to say that Aunt Helen had requested that I'd come out to help her run the ranch, if momma and Mr. Danny could afford to send me. Momma was looking at Mr. Danny when she said that last part, she was trying to hold back her tears, but it was plain to see she was heartbroken at Aunt Helen's news.

"Hannah, we'll figure something out. I think we could spare Zeb after the latest tie contract is filled. That'll be sometime mid-summer I'd guess. Besides with it being spring and all it would be almost impossible to cross the rivers this time of year, there's a lot of them to cross to get to your sister's place."

Momma just nodded her head and said, "I'll send her a letter saying Zeb will be coming out by August or so, I just hope she can hang on that long!"

"She's got some ranch hands and I know Tom; he'd have a little money saved away for emergency's, she should be ok to wait a few months," replied Mr. Danny.

Momma looked at me and asked if I'd be ok with going out to stay with Aunt Helen? I told her I'd be happy to help her any way I could.

Aunt Helen was probably about thirty or so years old by now, it'd been about four or five years since the last time I'd seen her. She was similar in build and looks to my mother but had strawberry blonde hair, Aunt Helen was a beautiful woman as well. Truth be known, I'd imagined her quite a few times in a few of my not so moral fantasies.

Hearing about the loss of Uncle Tom made me want to pack up and hit the trail immediately, but I knew I was needed here and with the river's running so high right now it was too risky to chance. We talked more about how awful the situation was and all wished we could somehow console Aunt Helen.

We all turned in early due to the emotional news, however sleep didn't come quickly for me, I was in thought about my big journey. I'd have about three hundred and fifty or so miles to travel to get to Aunt Helen's ranch. If everything went smooth, it'd take close to twenty days to make the trip, it would probably end up being more, because nothing ever went smooth on a trip that far!

That next morning, I helped out at the store, doing things that the girls couldn't do, like moving some of the larger items from the storeroom into the main area of the store. I also helped Mr. Danny put together one of the sewing machines he'd bought for display in the store.

While we were working Mr. Danny began talking about Uncle Tom and what had possibly happened to him. He warned me that when I arrived at Aunt Helen's ranch to keep an eye out for any mischief from the ranch hands and to keep my ears peeled for any news on who might be responsible for uncle Toms death.

"Zeb, when you get to Aunt Helen's place, she's expecting you to ramrod the ranching operation. Your aunt is a smart woman and is more than capable of making decisions and running the ranch, but she's going to need you to be the foreman over the hired help, some of those men probably won't take orders from a woman. My guess is, you handing out orders isn't going to go over very well either! Taking orders from a newcomer, and one that's as young as you ain't going to set too well with some of them, be ready for some confrontation and watch your back!

Zeb, when you're dealing with hard men, always lead by example. But if you have to exercise your power as foreman to get them in line there's three steps you need to follow. The first step is you ask them to do it, then you tell them, and the last step is, you make them! You are used to hard men Zeb, so I expect you'll know how to handle it, you got a good head on your shoulders and your Aunt Helen will need you to be the man of the place!"

"Well truth be told Mr. Danny I'm a bit nervous about all this, I sure hope I can live up to Aunt Helen's expectations and be able to handle the job!

"Zeb, you'll do fine, just trust your instincts and remember there's nothing wrong with being scared of something, just don't let your fear control you and keep you from acting or doing what you know is right!"

"Yes sir, I'll do my best and hopefully things aren't as bad there as what we're imagining!"

"Another thing to keep in mind when you get there is Aunt Helen might be hard-pressed for cash money. You might have to get a cattle drive together before winter hits!"

"Yeah, I've been thinking about that. Well, I guess I'll find that out when I get there."

"Zeb, you're getting ready to set out on your future, your mom and I realize that you may start a life out there and not come back. I want you to know that you have our blessing to do what makes you happy.

So, start planning things out for your trip, try to think of all the possible problems you're going to run into and have a plan. You also need to think about finding yourself a suitable mount of your own, matter of fact, if it was me, I'd get two if you can afford it. That way you'll always have a fresh horse in case you need to make some time."

"Yeah, I was meaning to ask if you and mom would sell me Buddy? Then I'd probably try to find a younger horse to buy as well."

"I'll tell you what Zeb, your mother and I will just give you Buddy, I know he's special to you since he was your daddy's horse."

"Thanks Mr. Danny, that sure means a lot to me!"

Thursday morning rolled around, and I was working in the store again, but mostly thinking of all the things I needed to do to prepare for my trip. Around about two in the afternoon Mr. Johnson came into the store. Mr. Johnson was an older gentleman that sold horses in our area.

Once Mr. Johnson picked out all the things he needed, he came up to the counter with his items he wished to buy. I pulled up his line of credit and there was a note on his tab that said not to give him any more credit until he paid his bill.

Upon telling Mr. Johnson he had to pay is bill in full if he wanted any more items he got upset and after a little yelling fit, I asked him if he had any horses he wished to sell, that maybe I could buy one and put it towards what he owed Mr. Danny. He agreed that sounded like a good idea and after a gentleman's agreement, settled with a handshake, I paid his tab of $50, which gave me that amount in credit towards a horse.

Later that day I went out to Mr. Johnson's and looked at his horses for sale. I ended up buying a fairly green saddle horse that was a 2 ½ year old gelding. It was a good-lookin horse, all black with a white star on his forehead. He was not ridden much and had a long way to go to be a good saddle horse, but the price was right, I only had to throw in another $25. I figured I'd have some time to work with him before I had to leave for Aunt Helen's and turn him into a good mount.

Unfortunately, he was already named when I got him, and I just didn't feel right changing it, even though I wasn't crazy about it. His name was Ed, I have no idea why anyone would name a horse Ed, but that's what it was, and I figured to leave it be! I saddled ole Ed up and left for home. The trip back was a bit tense to say the least, ole Ed was spooking at everything!

Once home I put Ed up and went inside to get ready for supper. While we were all eating, I told everyone about my horse I'd bought. Heidi asked what I'd named him? I told her he was already named, and I didn't feel right about changing it.

"Well, what is it," Heidi asked?

"Ed," I replied.

"Are you serious? You're not going to change that awful name? Who, in their right mind names a horse Ed? Heidi exclaimed!

The rest of the meal went by with both of my sisters giving me crap about Ed's name and how stupid I was for not changing it! After supper I went on back to my room just to escape the verbal abuse.

The next morning rolled around, and Mr. Danny told me he didn't need any help at the store so I could begin working my new horse if I wanted. I thought that was a good idea and went out and saddled Ed up for a day of riding. While I was getting him ready Mr. Danny came out to tell me that while I was out riding around to head on out to the tie camp and check on the crew.

"Anything in particular you want me to pass on when I get there," I asked? Mr. Danny said he didn't have any messages for the crew but just wanted me to give him an update on the progress on the next order of ties.

Once I rode off down the hill a bit, Ed began to fight me, he wanted to turn around and go back home to the other horses. At the bottom of the hill, I came across a freshly ploughed field. I walked Ed out into the loose dirt, it was an effort for him to walk in due to his hooves sinking down into the dirt, but it served a good purpose to take some of the piss and vinegar out of him early in the ride, he was wanting to just take off on his own and not listen to what I wanted.

Ed wasn't broke to indirect reining yet so I had to plough rein him. I'd nudge him with the proper foot when I'd turn him to get him used to foot signals, I'd also lay the opposite side reign against his neck while I was plough reigning him, getting him used to the feel of indirect reigning.

Ed never all out bucked at the start of our ride, but he did start to crow hop a bit when I didn't let him run back to the barn. We went a little further in the fresh dirt and Ed turned his head to the side, bowed up his neck and broke out into a run giving me crazy eyes while running forward with his body slightly angled. He didn't like being in the plowed field and he was throwing a tantrum.

He built up speed like he was about to lose control, going somewhat sideways, I could tell he was wanting to have a runaway, but I kept a close eye on him, when he broke out into an uncontrolled run, I just pulled his head back to my left leg with the reign, making him go in small circles until he calmed down and started to walk again. The freshly ploughed dirt helped a lot by not letting him pick up the speed that hard ground would allow.

Our town was up on a pretty steep hill and our stable was up there as well, once we cleared that ploughed field Ed wanted to do his own thing again. He wanted to head back to the stable where the other horses were.

I let him have his way and he ran all the way to the top of the hill, right back up to the stable. Then I made him go down the hill again. When we got back to the bottom and all the way to the end of the plowed field, I'd let him have his head, Ed chose unwisely and ran right on back up the hill to the stable again and we'd repeat the process, after about three times of this Ed was tired from running up a steep hill and just gave up, and started following my direction, finally! He was going to have to learn who was boss, and Ed was a slow learner!

I rode into tie camp and greeted some of the boys and hitched Ed to a tree and went looking for William, our foreman. He and Frank had just come back with the draft horses from taking a load of ties down to the river. William saw me and waved, Frank just sorta stared at me and didn't bother with a greeting.

"William, Mr. Danny wants to know how the order is going and if you will complete it by the deadline?"

"We are a little ahead of schedule on the order and if the rain holds off, we'll have it finished up before we come home Saturday afternoon," replied William.

"That's good, I'll let Mr. Danny know, I'm sure he'll be glad to hear it! I'm going to head out, I didn't have any messages for you."

"See ya later Zeb, good luck with your new horse," replied William.

I turned and waved, then headed back to where I had Ed hitched. I untied him and mounted, then rode on outa camp.

I didn't know it at the time, but I was about to ride right into a big ole mess!