Gone to Kansas Ch. 03

Story Info
A young man heads West to help family in the 1870's.
19.7k words
4.81
9.7k
18

Part 3 of the 4 part series

Updated 11/30/2023
Created 10/14/2023
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Part 3 of this series, for best understanding of this story you'll need to start at the beginning in Ch. 01. Thanks for all the positive comments and all the feedback on this story!

All editing was done by me, and I damn near flunked out of Language Arts in high school, so it won't be perfect. All participants in any sexual situations are at least 18. Also, no permission is given to copy, print, publish or use any part of this story series.

Previously in CH. 02

Monday rolled around pretty quickly, and I was anxious to get on down the trail. I had all my gear and supplies packed up on Ed and Buddy and had just given everyone a hug and a heavy-hearted farewell. I was off, on my way to the unknown, I was excited, to say the least!

I saddled up, pointed my horse West, gave a couple clicks with my mouth and some heel pressure to Buddy's flanks and I was off!

*****

I was saddled up on Buddy when I took off from home. As I lost sight of town it hit me that I may never see this place again. It was a somber moment but was soon replaced with thoughts of what may lie ahead.

I had been making good time and since I was in an area, I knew like the back of my hand, I let my thoughts wonder back to Mrs. Kroner....... "Damn Buddy, she was quite the woman, you shoulda seen her in that yellow dress. Hell, you shoulda seen her outta that yellow dress, she was a vision of perfection. I guess you don't think much about that kinda stuff anymore though.... Huh! I mean, well what I'm gettin at is.... you don't have your nuts anymore, so I guess you put all that behind you."

I swear Buddy got a sour look on his face and turned his ears away from me. "Damn Buddy, I'm just funin ya. You don't have to take it so damn personal."

As the day grew long, I continued my conversation with Buddy, pretty much leaving Ed out of the conversation. I figured he didn't have anything intelligent to add to it anyway.

By the end of the first day, I'd made it 25 miles and crossed the Gasconade River at a low water crossing, making camp just outside the little town of Freeburg. I was in no need of supplies, so I went on through town and camped a couple miles West of town.

That next mornin I figured to give Ed some time in the saddle. I saddled Ed before loading Buddy up with gear. After I was done loading Buddy I went and pulled a couple more inches of slack up on the cinch strap on Ed's saddle, he had a bad habit of blowing up his stomach when I first saddled him. If you didn't go back and re-tighten that cinch, you'd find yourself with a mighty loose saddle, and more than likely looking between his front legs instead of his ears.

We set off at a trot and the horses were feeling pretty good in the cool of the mornin, Ed was eager to move out on down the road. The weather was bearable in the mornings but come noon time it became pretty miserable with the Missouri heat and humidity. We made good time and didn't have to cross any rivers, I was hoping to make the 30 or so miles to Iberia by nightfall.

We were in the afternoon heat and ole Ed had a slight lather to him and wasn't quite as anxious as he was earlier. When all of a sudden, he bowed up his neck and broke out into an uncontrolled run. I planted my feat solid in the stirrups and pulled the left reign back to my leg, pulling Ed's head with it.

"Damnit Ed, what the hell was that all about! When are you going to quit acting like a dumbass?"

By pulling his head close to my leg I got him back under control. I looked back at Buddy, he was right behind us, I didn't have much doubt he would be. When I looked back, I noticed a tree branch that was barely hanging on, a breeze was blowing it around while still hanging from the tree.

I figured that was what spooked Ed, so I turned him and had him walk towards the swinging branch. Ed's ears were twitching, and he had his head up high, nostrils flaring, and staring at the branch, he tried to turn away from it, but I got him back facing the branch. I stopped him right in front of it and let him check it out, rubbing his neck and gently talking to him telling him it was nothing to be worried about.

After a bit he settled down, realizing it was nothing that would hurt him, and we turned and headed out back down the trail. We were mainly heading West but slightly South as well. We didn't quite make Iberia but were within a few miles and made camp for the night.

The next morning, I saddled Buddy up and got Ed loaded down, then we hit the trail, we made it to Iberia by 10 that morning. We went down the main street, hell it was the only street, nothing more than a dirt path, probably weren't more than a half dozen businesses on it! I wanted to stop in at the general store to pick up another canteen, I only had one with me and felt I needed at least one more. It can get dry in August, and I wanted to have plenty of water just in case I couldn't find clean water for a couple days. I knew the further West I got the dryer it would get.

I found the general store and hitched up the horses and went inside. I grabbed a few things besides the canteen and put it up on the counter to pay. As I was paying the clerk, an older gentleman, began making conversation with me. "You're not from around here, are you boy?"

"No, just passin through, headin West." I replied, being vague as to where I was going, figured I was safer not letting people know exactly where I was headed.

"Well good luck to ya and I hope you have safe travels," he replied as he handed me my items. I thanked him and walked outside to where I had my horses hitched. As I was putting away my items, I noticed three men riding up to a saloon. They looked rough, like they'd been out on the trail for a good while, they had that outlaw look about them and I figured they were trouble. Two of the horses looked somewhat familiar but I couldn't quite place them at the moment. I saddled up and headed out, back down the trail.

About three hours later it hit me, that the horses I recognized were the two that got away from the fracas at the Jaeger's place. Oh well I wasn't about to go back now; it gave me some comfort to know they weren't anywhere near my family.

The next town I was headed for was Hog Eye, otherwise known as Nevada. It was a pretty big town of around 1200 people or so, but it was a little over a hundred and twenty miles away. I hoped to make it in four or five days.

Five days later I made it to Hog Eye, I trotted down the main street about nine in the morning. I was determined to find a place for a bath and a shave, although I probably didn't really need the shave. I was about halfway through town and just across from the general store when I noticed a big, covered wagon nearby. It had a pair of red roan mules that were some of the finest looking mules I'd ever seen. Up on the wagon seat was a beautiful girl with light brown hair, she was keeping watch over the team of mules, she had a Henry rifle propped up by her and there was an older man, about mid forty's or so loading supplies in the back of the wagon.

She was sitting, but from what I could see she was a well put together girl of about sixteen to eighteen years old. She was wearing her "trail" clothes which consisted of pants and a cotton button up shirt and she had on a straw hat as well. Her clothes looked a little tight, I'm guessing she outgrew them a couple years back. I guess I unknowingly just stopped dead in the middle of the street staring at her, I was momentarily struck dumb by her beauty.

About that time, she noticed me and said, "don't you know it's not polite to stare at people."

I was caught a little off guard but replied, "Ma'am, beauty such as yours deserves to be recognized." I said as I tipped my hat to her.

She blushed a bit at my declaration of her beauty and began to smile, then her old man yelled at me. "Don't just sit up there on that horse boy, if'n you got nothin better to do than stand in the middle of the damn street get your ass down from that pony and give me a hand!"

"Yes Sir, sorry Sir, I just noticed her sittin there and, well, I gotta say.... she looks like an angel." That got an even darker blush on the girl's face and put a grin on the man's.

I hoped out of the saddle and held my hand out, "Zeb Schmidt at your service Sir." The man grinned at me and took my hand. "Names Benjamin Lee, but most people call me Ben. That's a damn firm grip you got there Son, what you been doin for a livin?"

"Just recently got off a tie hackin crew, on my way West to help out family."

"I see.... that little lady that stopped you cold in the street is my daughter Emma." I looked up at Emma and tipped my hat to her again. "The pleasure's all mine Ma'am."

She smiled at me and said, "well it's good to see you have manners at least." All's I could do was give her a stupid grin and then began helping her dad load up some of the heavy items into the back of the wagon.

"Where abouts you from boy?"

"Well, I'm from a little town a ways East of here called Coopers Hill, I'm headed West to help out my aunt on her ranch, in Kansas. Where are you all headed?"

"Always good to help family out boy, thanks for the hand, not sure I coulda got that barrel of nails loaded by myself. We're on our way West as well, got a place picked out to homestead."

"Happy to help Sir...... Ma'am, it was sure nice to make your acquaintance as well." I said to her with a shit eatin grin plastered on my face. Emma smiled back at me and gave a little wave; Ben hoped up on the wagon and took the leads from Emma. "Good luck to ya boy." And just like that, the most beautiful girl I'd ever met rode right outta my life.

I just stood there in the street and watched them go, finally I came to my senses and saddled up, I wanted to find a place for a bath. I didn't have far to go and found a place right next to a saloon that not only offered a bath but would wash my clothes. After my bath and shave, I was told to come back the next morning for my clothes. I went into the saloon to have a drink and get information on the area I was in and the best route to continue my travels.

The bartender was happy to talk, he told me I had about fifty or so miles to get to Carthage, the next big town I'd pass through. After having a couple of beers, I decided I'd go find a meal that wasn't fixed by me. I found a restaurant that had good food and dug into some roast beef, mashed potatoes, green beans and fried bread. I hadn't had a meal like that since I left home, it was good, and it made me miss home more than I already did.

After I got done eating, I decided to go find a hostler and get a bate of oats for my horses to treat them to a good meal as well. I worked out a deal with the hostler for my horses and me to spend the night in his barn then turned in early. I was exhausted from the trail, that night I dreamed of the girl with the brown hair.

I awoke the next morning wishing my dreams didn't have to end. I got my horses ready then rode over to pick up my clothes. I packed them in my saddle bag and hit the trail. I was makin good time and was saddled up on Buddy, we were havin us a conversation about the pretty little girl I met the day before.

"You know Buddy, I might have worse luck than you....... I met the most beautiful girl of my life, and she just rode off without me havin a chance to get to know her better. I know, I know.... you'd disagree.... Yeah, I guess your right at least I still got my nuts." Buddy turned his ears forward, away from me, kinda like he didn't want to hear anything more outta me.... I guess it was time to let that subject go.

It was getting towards afternoon when I heard some shootin, about a dozen shots or so a ways off up ahead. I stopped and listened but didn't hear any more. It sounded like it was in my direction of travel, so I slowed down a bit, shucked out my Spencer carbine and kept my eyes open for trouble. It sounded like several different guns being fired, whatever was going on I was guessing wasn't good.

I rode on about another half mile. As I came up over a hill, I could see what appeared to be a couple of people holed up behind some fallen trees next to a creek. I didn't see any sign of horses or others involved. As I got closer, something about them looked familiar to me. I rode up in the cover of a line of big trees until I got close enough to yell at them and let them know I meant them no harm.

"Are you all ok over there, I just heard a bunch of shootin and came to see if anyone needed help."

"We've been better, but it coulda been worse." replied a man, whose voice sounded familiar.

"I'm comin out, don't shoot!" I replied.

"Ok, come in real slow like and keep your hands where we can see them."

I walked Buddy out from behind the trees and started to ease up to their position. At about seventy yards or so I recognized them. It was Benjamin Lee and his daughter Emma.

"Mr. Lee, It's Zeb, you know, the one that helped you load some of your stuff in the wagon yesterday."

"Just come in slow Zeb, I'm feelin a might touchy and I ain't just too damn sure who to trust after what just happened."

I rode up slowly and I could see Emma close by to her dad, they both had me covered with a pair of Henry rifles. I could see that Ben had a lot of blood running down the side of his head.

"Is it ok if I get down, looks like you two could use a little help."

"Yeah, I recognize you now boy, I'm just a little lightheaded, caught a bullet to the head, luckily it just took some skin. But damned if it didn't bleed a lot."

I hopped down and my horses stayed put, I walked up to Ben and brought my extra canteen up to them.

"Would you all like some water? What the hell happened here, where's your team and wagon?"

"Damn boy, you sure ask a lot of questions. We got ambushed by three bushwhackers. Done stole all our shit!"

I looked at Emma, "are you ok?" I asked her.

"Yeah, just a bit shook up, I'm awful worried about Pa though." She replied with a look of worry on her pretty face.

"Sons a bitches took my mules and my wagon; had everything we own in it! Son, if'n you could let me borough your horse I'll go and fetch back our belongings."

"Mr. Lee, I don't think you're in any shape to take them on by yourself, actually with that head wound I don't think you need to be goin anywhere just yet. I'll leave my extra horse here for you all and I'll go fetch your belongings, you all just wait here."

"Damn boy, I can't send you off after those bushwhackers, they'll kill you boy. It's my job to do so all I'm askin for is the loan of one of your horses."

"Sir, with all due respect, you're not in any shape to go after those men. Emma, you stay here and take care of your daddy, I'll leave Ed with you all and I'll go get your belongings."

Emma looked up at me with her big eyes and nodded. "We'd be mighty beholdin to ya if you helped us out with this Zeb.... Oh, who's Ed?" Emma asked with a confused look on her face.

"That's my young gelding there Emma.... yeah, I know.... before you start askin about his name, he was named before I got him, and I didn't wanna confuse him by renaming him."

She scrunched up her cute little freckle covered nose at the thought of a horse bein named Ed, but she didn't say anything else about it. Ben slipped out of consciousness while we were talkin, so I knew for sure he wasn't up for what lay ahead.

"Emma, I'll leave this extra canteen with you and there's some food stuff in the bags on Ed, you all just help yourself to whatever you need. I'll be back as soon as I can, Lord willin. It'll be easy trackin that heavy wagon and it'll slow them down. I shouldn't have much trouble ketchin up to them."

"You be careful Zeb Schmidt!" She replied lookin up at me while washin the wound on her daddy's head.

Damn, that girl was pretty. I tipped my hat to Emma, traded out my carbine for the Sharps I had on Ed then jumped up on Buddy and took off. I knew they wouldn't make very good time with that loaded down wagon. My plan was to somehow get in front of them and ambush them.

I rode hard for about three miles and topped out on a hill overlooking a low lying plain, I could see dust in the distance and figured it had to be them. I rode about another mile at a canter trying not to raise too much dust myself. I caught sight of them up ahead, it appeared there was a man on the wagon and two men on horseback, the guy handlin the wagon had his horse tied to the back of the wagon.

I could see the path they were going to take up the next hill, it was a wide-open area, and they were far enough from the start of the hill I figured I'd be able to get in front of them. My plan was to swing a loop around them and set up at the top of that distant hill for an ambush. I was going to put my new Sharps rifle to doin the Lord's work.

I just hopped I could get there and get set up before they passed by. The other thing I noticed was two of the horses appeared to be the same ones I saw at the Jaeger's place, the two guys that got away. Those dirty bastards were sure getting around, if my plan worked out this would be the last terrorizing they'd ever do.

We were in an area coming out of the Ozark mountains, so the land was opening up and there were some long straight stretches and fewer steep hills and deep valleys. This was one of those spots, the flat they were traveling across was several miles long. I put my heals to Buddy and we took off.

About a half hour later I was ahead of them, I had a good spot set up for an ambush. They would be traveling up a fairly steep hill straight to me. I had my Sharps ready to go, my plan was to wait until they got within about two hundred yards then start killin. I had five extra rounds of 50-90 lying next to me ready to go with another handful in my pockets in case I had to leave my hiding spot in a hurry. I had Buddy close by, hidden in the grove of trees that I was on the edge of.

Two hundred yards would give me the advantage, making it hard for them to locate exactly where I was, I was confident I could take out the two on horseback at that range without too much trouble, leaving the driver of the wagon till last, so I could be close enough to get the wagon under control after I killed him.

I laid in wait for them to pop over the rise, my nerves were startin to flare up, my heart was pounding, I took some deep breaths to try to get it under control. I had the spot I wanted to hit them at ranged and had a good rest for my rifle. I didn't have long to wait, the two on horseback popped out first, but I held my fire until the wagon was out in the clear, where he couldn't get to cover any time quickly. I was able to see that the two on horseback were definitely the ones that were in on the attack at the Jaeger's. I didn't plan on lettin em get away this time.

My plan was to shoot the furthest man back on horseback first, knowing the closer one would probably run for it at the sound of my shot. I lightly inhaled and exhaled through my nose for several breaths, then let by breath out about halfway and squeezed off my first shot. It took the furthest rider out of his saddle; judging by the way he came off his horse I figured it was a solid hit.

I quickly jacked the spent case out of the breech of that Sharps and slammed in another cartridge, closing the breech block and cocking the hammer. The other rider was running his horse towards the tree line, and I knew I didn't have much hope hitting the rider, beins he was ridin parallel to me at a pretty good clip, so I did the next best thing and led his horse by a little over a quarter of its body length with my sights and dropped the hammer.

The horse was hit right through his front shoulders taking out his front end, it nosedived and plowed straight into the dirt, throwing the rider. I got another round ready to go and when I saw the rider stand, I sent him to hell with a big ole 50-90 slug. I hated having to shoot the horse, but sometimes shit like that happens.