Good Neighbors Ch. 097

Story Info
My mission to get done.
1.1k words
4.89
1.5k
00
Story does not have any tags

Part 98 of the 189 part series

Updated 06/10/2023
Created 06/27/2021
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
Azuldrgon
Azuldrgon
408 Followers

It was a dreary morning. It was a necessary one for the task I was set to do. I rose from my bed and went to my closet to choose something special. Looking through the closet, I found a dark black dress shirt. I then went to my dresser and found a pair of the jeans my neighbor helped me get. I smiled for a moment about the mileage they have on them before laying them on the bed. I picked out a pair of boxers and a black tank top before I went into the bathroom and started the shower. I looked in the mirror and checked out the goatee growing in. It felt weird seeing my face this morning.

I slipped into the shower and concentrated on getting myself presentable. I turned off the water and grabbed a towel before drying myself off. I took a minute to look in the mirror again. Normally, I ignore the mirror if I am not shaving, but I was reflecting (no pun intended) on the last eight months. I thought about what I was going to do that day and realized it was better that I get moving.

I walked back into the bedroom and started to dress before debating whether a tie would be too formal. Remembering why I was dressing up, I chose a straight black tie. I then made sure to put on my cologne and looked in the mirror one more time. I slipped on a black bomber jacket before grabbing my keys and wallet to get out the door.

I looked over at my neighbor's driveway. Her car was already missing. I had to remind myself that she was prone to having to take trips on occasion and it was probably for the best today. I smiled knowing full well how much she had helped me over the months since my wife's death. Even when her husband was going through his final few weeks, she took the time to comfort me. The fact she let me in to comfort her after her husband passed touched me greatly. I have spent much time praising her whether in person, in doing things for her or otherwise for her kind heart.

I slipped into my car. I then pulled out of the driveway and started to drive towards my destination before stopping at the local flower shop. The girl behind the counter was smiling at me before she noticed my face.

"Hello, Mr. Mercer. Your usual today?"

"Not this time, Sabrina. I need daffodils today."

"Your neighbor warned me a few days ago that you might. I have a dozen in the back. Did you need a vase today?"

I was surprised my neighbor did that too. There was a moment where I thought maybe she knew what I was up to. I can't get anything past her nowadays.

"Do you have a simple one? It doesn't need to be fancy."

She showed me a skinny turquoise color one. She nodded her head as I nodded mine in affirmation. As she slipped the daffodils into the packaging, I smiled a bit.

"How long have you had this vase for, Sabrina?"

"Oh, it's a newer vendor. I would have called you about it, but you always told me you had faith in my decisions. Anything else today, Mr. Mercer?"

"Yeah, I wish you'd stop calling me that. We've been friends for too long for you to keep doing that."

"I know Missy loved seeing you get flustered whenever I did that when you two visited. Sorry, Leo. It's just you looked a little down today."

"I appreciate it. I had a feeling today would be difficult."

"You're doing pretty well so far. Now get to your task so it'll get done. She's counting on you."

I smiled when she said that. Many folks in our town didn't know that Sabrina and Missy were workmates a while back. When I started to get better off with my business, Sabrina told Missy how much she wished she could own her own flower shop. Missy and I worked together to help her get it together, even hooking her up with the different vendors for the vases and other things to help her out. It was one reason why I was able to get ahold of flowers so easily even though I insisted that she never mentioned it to other folks. Her husband was appreciative also.

As I slid back into the car, I noticed the time and started driving towards the spot. I went through the front gates and found a parking spot near where her stone was. I started to slide the flowers into the vase before opening the door and walking towards her. There her stone lay. The collar my neighbor put on the stone was moved so it was wrapped around one of the concrete vases nearby. I slipped the vase next to her stone before moving a few to the concrete vase. I started to tear up as I knelt beside her.

"Happy birthday, Beautiful," I started trying to hold back tears. "You were right as usual. Today is difficult. Missing you is hard. Missing you on the birthdays is even harder."

I started to talk to her stone like she was right in front of me. I told her about how everything was going. I also told her about how the neighbor and I were comforting each other and how thankful I was that she talked me into introducing ourselves to them a while back. I then kissed my hand before pressing the palm against the stone.

"I love you, Sweetheart. You always have my heart no matter what,"

I stood up and looked down as a ray of sunshine hit the vase. It wasn't apparent until I focused that the vase matched the collar so clearly. I smiled before starting to walk back to my car.

"It looks beautiful, Leo," my neighbor said.

I was too engrossed in what I was doing to notice she pulled her car right behind mine. I went towards her and hugged her tight, my face buried in her shoulder before I let the tears flow. She stroked the back of my head a few times before she squeezed me.

"It's alright. She did warn you the birthdays would be the hardest."

"I know. I would have come over to get you, but you were already gone."

"No, this one needed to be just you. No matter how close Missy and I were you were hers for longer. You needed this although you look pretty hot all cleaned up."

I smiled.

"Like you, she deserves my best. Did you talk to Mitchell?"

"I did. I figured it was easier to hide if I snuck out before you this morning. I like the daffodils."

"They were Missy's favorites also. So should we go somewhere for lunch?"

"I think a nice lunch would be great to celebrate her birthday. Did she have a favorite place?"

We both slipped into our cars and headed to Missy's favorite restaurant. My heart felt comforted knowing full well I honored her that day.

Azuldrgon
Azuldrgon
408 Followers