Green Rose of the Underground Ch. 09

Story Info
A shortcut and caravan into mysterious woods.
7.1k words
4.92
1.7k
1
0

Part 9 of the 10 part series

Updated 06/11/2023
Created 01/27/2022
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Woo. That was a delay...

To keep it short, a combination of Covid, job woes, and general life chaos.

Oh. And also. A double chapter release, so, hopefully that balances things out with good news.

Enjoy!

---

Camp was made some distance away from the barricade, and in a bustle of activity and confusion wagons and carriages were brought together into a great circle. Introductions were exchanged as the various groups and families mingled. It was odd. Familiar, but as if she were seeing it from the outside. Thix couldn't shake the unsettling feeling of not belonging.

She followed along besides Gerard and Theo, listening. Thix still couldn't make out most of what anybody was saying. Especially because the others spoke Galtes much quicker and more loosely than Gerard did. Throughout the entirety of the proceedings were the stares. Though many were polite enough to not act too obvious about it, others including the children outright gawked at her.

Thix found herself slouching forward, tugging the hood of her cloak tighter around her face self-consciously. Eventually however, Gerard leaned in to chide her for it. That made sense really. The last of the suns light was vanishing beyond the horizon, and it was suspicious to hide her face.

They wound up sitting around a fire with the men Gerard and Theo had previously been in conversation with, and their families. Claude, the well-dressed portly man with the shaven face, had provided a carpet so that the three of them wouldn't have to sit directly on the grass. He was a merchant, no surprise. It was in his attitude. Claude traveled with what might have been apprentices, or if he was fortunate, his sons. Hard to tell. They were three fit, quiet young men who did what they were told. Plain featured. Brown haired. Neither ugly nor especially pleasant to look at. Just... humans. Maybe if she got to know them it would be different, but she doubted much she would remember their faces. Two were well mannered enough, but one kept giving Thix a very familiar look that made her rather uneasy. Luckily, they stayed behind Claude and allowed him to do the talking.

The bearded man with the walking stick was named Aubert. Thix wasn't entirely sure what he did, but he seemed like a craftsman of some kind. Perhaps a wood worker. His mate and two daughters, neither quite children but not full grown either, prepared a pot of water and some vegetables for a stew or soup while Aubert erected the metal frame to hang it from.

The younger man was Guy, and it turned out that it had been his son and mate that had seen Thix hanging off the carriage door. Guy idly carved a slab of smoked meat with the intent to add it to the pot as he engaged in conversation. His mate, if Thix was remembering correctly was named Solène, sat next to Guy and held their son securely on her lap. Their pale skin, dark hair, and sharp thin features gave them both a rather stark appearance.

Gerard for his part urged Theo to bring out two bottles of deep red wine, presumably he had purchased the bottles while the two of them had been otherwise occupied in Couronne. Cups were shared and wine was poured. The cup of tart elixir became a welcome refuge. It hurt her head trying to follow everything that was going on, let alone attempting to understand what was being said and utterly failing at it. All the while it was impossible to ignore the constant examining glances. Inevitably though, curiosity won out, and amidst a long silence the attention of the party became fully focused on her.

Thix found herself turning almost helplessly to Gerard, clutching anxiously onto his arm. He offered a sympathetic look before leaning in closer.

"You don't have to speak, if you don't want to."

Honestly, she really didn't. It probably wouldn't look right though, if she chose not to.

"I don't know what to say, and my Galtes is still not good."

Before Gerard could respond however, the hearty voice of Claude the merchant burst from across his place across the fire.

"Aha! You speak some Ruvic then?"

Thix wasn't pleased at being addressed so directly, but there was nothing to do about it now. She squared herself to look at the large human.

"Yes. Some."

"Please, excuse my rudeness. I have never seen your sort before, but I hear stories from the north."

She was sure he did. What kind of stories though... she knew the sorts of things humans said about goblins, even now. The old fire-side tales humans told did not die so easily, and hundreds of years spent in seclusion slowly being forgotten as nothing more than legends had not helped matters. The darker and more horrible tales were the ones that rose to the surface. That they were thieves and scavengers, was rather kind. Some people still spread horrible rumors that they would attack humans out alone, and would sneak into villages at night to steal and eat babies. Several generations it had been now, since the War of the Sorcerers that had forced them back into the world. Above ground.

Thix's red eyes roamed around the varied pale faces around the fire. She swore there was fear there, but not the hate of the Frankars. Not the disgust of the slavers who had ambushed her on the road so long ago. She reminded herself that she wasn't the dirty and unkempt creature Gerard had found her as. Thix had fine clothes now, and clean neat hair, and she was traveling with a human man of refinement.

"Yes. I come from the north. From Svalheim. Your people name us Goblin, we don't have a name for us that humans can easily speak. Few of us travel far from our home, but we make trade now with humans from far south. Ruvic is the language of many lands, and my father taught me. I must look strange, but I mean no harm. I travel with Monsieur Fournier, to Lumis. I hear it is a beautiful city."

She spoke as directly and clearly as possible, but lost some of the ease that she'd gained with Gerard. Hopefully that would be the end of the conversation on her end. Not that she mistrusted the chubby little merchant, but it was much more comfortable being ignored. Claude relayed her words into Galtes around the fire, and it started even more curious exchange.

The heart-hunger began to gnaw at her again. She didn't like this. Didn't like listening to words she couldn't understand, surrounded by people she didn't know. Thix wanted nothing more than to climb onto Gerard's lap and bury her face against his chest. That would not have looked right at all however.

For him, she had to be patient. Mercifully, Gerard seemed to pick up her mood and spoke up to the rest of the group. Whatever further explanation he'd given appeared to satisfy, and as night wholly fell the novelty of her presence faded away. Mostly.

Bowls of stew were filled and passed around. Thix accepted hers gratefully. It wasn't bad, though it paled in comparison to the prior night's extravagant dinner. In time the conversation shifted into something more businesslike, and she noted how it was led by the men. Though occasionally one of their mates would speak up, adding in some information or asking a question. The atmosphere became more somber as conversation went on, and Thix was able to easily watch the shifting of emotions across the flame shadowed faces. Theo in particular didn't seem happy, speaking sharply and emphatically to the rest of the group.

"Gerard. What is the trouble?"

Gerard leaned in towards her, voice soft amidst the exchange of Galtes.

"Claude says there is a shorter way to the city, but it is through the forest on the Duc's land. We are trying to decide if we will go or not."

Thix frowned in thought.

"Must we?"

Gerard refilled his cup of wine, taking a slow drink before answering.

"We would have to return to Couronne, then go south, and west again. Travel is coin. Nights in inns. Food. I think we should travel through the forest. Theo does not."

"What is the danger?"

He didn't meet her gaze, and she noticed that Theo was casting a dark sideways look their way.

"Difficult to know. Maybe nothing. Maybe we could be robbed."

There was something he wasn't saying. Possibly a few somethings. The debate went on for a while longer, but evidently no clear agreement could be reached. Theo had become rather agitated by the end though and walked off into the darkness. Shortly after everyone began exchanging polite words and made preparations for bed. Thix offered to help Gerard setting up the tents and this time he accepted, though he did have to guide her through most of the process. Theo didn't return even after they'd finished pitching the second tent but Gerard didn't appear too concerned.

"Where do you want to sleep tonight?"

Thix looked up at Gerard as he washed his hands with a wet cloth.

"With you."

"Alright."

He crouched down beside Thix and took her hands, cleaning them with the other side of the cloth.

"There won't be trouble?"

"It will be better than if we argue about it, or if someone sees you sneak into my tent. You would too. They can think what they like. I'm too tired to worry."

It had been a long, and stressful day. It only seemed it would become more so tomorrow.

"Why are you in a hurry, really?"

Gerard gently buffed and rubbed beneath her fingernails with the damp cloth. She knew he couldn't really see what he was doing, not with his eyes, but they were focused on his task regardless.

"It wasn't a lie. I didn't expect this delay, and it will cost me more than I am willing to spend. However, there is also someone I need to meet. If we go the long way, I may not return in time. It's important."

"What about Theo?"

"What about him?"

Gerard finished with his cleaning and went over to their tent, sitting down carefully with his feet sticking out so he could remove his shoes. Thix was once again aware of eyes upon her. Unable to resist the urge, Thix swiveled her head to find Guy's mate Solène staring from across the fire. The woman turned away when caught and continued preparing the wagon. It looked a lot comfier than their tent, full of thick cloth with all their various items pushed to either side. Why hadn't Gerard opted for something you could lay down in as you rode? It would certainly have made their travels much more comfortable...and so much more fun. Oh well. That wasn't any of her business, and she and Gerard weren't any of the woman's business.

"He was upset. Why?"

Gerard shuffled back into the canvas shelter and gestured for her to join him. Thix did as he had and sat down to remove her shoes before joining him. Blessed privacy, at last. It was nothing personal, but she hadn't liked the other humans much. Surely they must be decent people, but she didn't know them, and Thix doubted she would ever get the chance. Gerard sighed, carefully stripping off his shirt. Mmm, this was a better view already.

"His work, is to keep me safe. Theo is good at it but sometimes I make that more difficult for him."

"Oui, and so I ask again, why was Theo upset that you want to go through the forest?"

"Thix. It won't make you feel better."

Gerard lay down, clearly struggling to make himself comfortable. Damn him. How could he be so... so enjoyable to look at, so pleasant to be around at times, and then be so damned infuriating. Thix crossed her arms, legs splayed out in front of her as she stared him down.

"I am not a child. I deserve to know. In our clan, everyone has a voice."

He shot her an odd expression then. Sour. Like he'd tasted something bitter. Gerard muttered something short in Galtes before stretching out and yawning.

"Alright. The roads are safe. Cities are safe. Even villages are mostly safe. The wild places are not. Robbers are the least of my worries but Claude tells us he has traveled the route before with no harm. Still, people go in, and many times do not come out again. Is it not the same way where you are from?"

Thix had been hoping for a different kind of answer.

"It is the same. Bad things live in the forests, and the mountains. I thought maybe Galtes was different."

"Could be different. Could be the same. Theo has only heard stories. I only know there are places where people live, and places where we don't. Others have tried cutting down the trees, and bringing order to the wilds. It never ends well. They disappear."

Gerard shook his head.

"What do you want us to do Thix?"

"Would you listen?"

Gerard smiled wryly at her and stuck up first two and then one finger.

"Two, and one. If you and Theo both think it's a bad idea, then we won't go."

Thix was quiet, and chewed thoughtfully at the inside of her lip.

"But it would cost you."

"Yes. It would."

Thix was also getting very tired of the damned carriage. She wanted to stop. Wanted somewhere to simply be. Wanted a place that was just for the both of them. She wiggled out of the little white dress and folded it neatly beside her, then struggled with removing the constricting human undergarments. She likewise folded up the delicate fabrics and set them on top of the dress. Ah! It felt nice to be free of them. Thix itched at the sides of her breasts where the cloth had been held tight against her skin.

"I trust you Gerard. Do what you think is best."

"Oui. Merci."

Thix crawled over next to Gerard and lay down. She rested her head against the top of his chest and huddled into the warmth of his body as closely as she could. Her arms wrapped tightly around his midsection. The ground was uncomfortably hard. Outside there was the huffing breath and quiet whinnying of the horses, and the rustling and clinking of their tack. Thix turned so that her ear pressed into him and she could listen to his heartbeat. It helped, a little. His arms pulled the sleeping pack around the both of them and encircled her.

Each inhale filled her with his pleasing scent. Thix found herself rubbing her cheek back and forth against the sparse hairs of his chest, then turned and pressed her lips against his skin.

"Thix."

"Please... s'il vous plait. Just this."

He didn't speak, but began gently caressing her bare back with the tips of his fingers. A pleasant shiver rolled through her body, and left memories in its wake. She wanted so much more. Wanted to taste him again, feel his hot length piercing and filling her again. His weight and strength pinning her down and overpowering her. She didn't dare do more though than kiss his chest repeatedly, in-between listening to the steady beating of his heart as that aching wet hunger filled her up. Her thigh muscles tightened as she drew her legs together.

"Shush. Sleep."

Thix twisted, trying to make herself more comfortable. Her legs stretched out, brushing against Gerard's erect manhood beneath the soft fabric of his underclothes. Sleep. Hah. Very funny. She knew though. They had to wait. Sleep did not come easily.

"Thix. Come."

"Wagh?"

It was early. She had hardly stepped out into the brutal morning sunshine with the intent of relieving herself somewhere very far away from everyone else, when Theo had seized her by the shoulder and steered her directly into the confines of the carriage. She hadn't even thought to struggle or complain, her head practically spun with confusion as she watched Theo sit down opposite her.

Absentmindedly he ran his fingers through the thick dark hair on his head before rubbing his now thin mustache with the back of his hand. His serious face looked even harder than usual. Another human she'd grown so used to, and knew absolutely nothing about. Today was not the day.

Theo had gotten back up and crouched before the seat, rummaging through the storage. When he came up again, he was holding something small in both hands and sat down staring at it for a moment before holding it up for Thix to inspect. It was a knife. A small, somewhat thin knife in a black leather sheathe that hung from a lengthy strap.

Theo held it out, and with surprising delicacy removed it from the sheathe. Thix narrowed her eyes and leaned closer to look at the blade. It was... bizarre. There was a hole in the metal near the tip, filled in with glass, and it looked like there was clear liquid inside.

"Thix. Much danger."

He put the blade back into the sheath with the same care with which he removed it and looked back up. Theo made a sharp jabbing motion with the sheathed blade and made a quick waggling motion with two fingers.

"You run. Comprendre? Understand?"

Thix thought she did, and nodded. Theo got onto his knees in front of her and gestured towards her leg with one hand, the other unfurling the thin strap. Despite everything, she felt a bloom of heat tingling in her cheeks. So silly. Not like he too hadn't seen all of her already. Well, not all of her. Not the way Gerard had. Hesitantly she parted her legs and stared into the far wall of the carriage as Theo affixed the sheathe around her thigh, buckling deftly it in place. Theo rose again and sat back in his seat. He mimed feeling down his thigh.

"Grab."

She hardly needed to. It was impossible not to feel exactly where the stiff weapon was pressed snugly against her flesh. Thix did so anyway, reaching down to first trace the knife below the fabric of her white dress and then venturing beneath the hem to rest her fingers upon the handle. She tugged lightly and felt the blade begin to pull free, before taking a lesson from Theo and carefully nudging it back into the sheathe.

"Oui. C'est bien. Merci Theo."

"De rien."

Theo let out a low sigh and shook his head, departing the carriage with hardly another glance her way. Leaving the door open for her and letting in the crisp morning air of the day. Odd man. Really.

She sat in silence for a moment, trying to sort out her thoughts and become accustomed to the strange knife she now wore against her upper thigh. Thix didn't feel particularly happy, and hoped she wouldn't have to use the damned thing.

Oh well, worries could come later. The body's business first.

She ventured as far out from the camp as she dared. finding some reasonably tall bushes, before again returning to the circle. Everyone else was either waking up, or already packing their items back into the assorted wagons. Theo must have roused Gerard not too long ago. She could make a guess from the grumpy expression on Gerard's face and the tension of their hushed conversation.

Gerard's expression brightened upon her return however and whatever discussion they'd been having was dropped in favor of a light breakfast. Hard bread. Cheese. Dried meats. Over the course of the meal, another conversation was had.

It turned out only Guy and his family would be joining them. Neither Aubert nor any of the other travelers had thought it worth the risk. Claude and his men would lead the way, and they would follow behind.

They got back on the road soon after, after making sure the horses were well tended to. Once again it was back in the box. Thix lay sideways on the seat and tried to get some more sleep. It was no use however. She'd gotten close, but it was a struggle and when they left the evenly paved road the sudden bumping and jostling became impossible to ignore. Thix eventually sat back up in sullen defeat.

She peeked out the window to see they were now on a dirt path that cut through an overgrown field of flowers and long grass. Some distance still ahead of them lay a wall of Galtes forest a little more vibrant than the familiar pines of the north. It was still too bright to see comfortably however, so Thix once again shut the curtain and tried to make herself comfortable again.

How could he just sit there?! Gerard wasn't asleep. His eyes were closed, but she knew he wasn't asleep.

"Have you thought about it?"

Thix watched as his brows furrowed, lips curled into a confused frown.

"Pardon?"

"What?"

Gerard opened his eyes, offering an apologetic gesture.