All Comments on 'Grounded in Silence'

by cookingwithgas

Sort by:
  • 122 Comments
francemanfranceman3 months ago

A story about the consequences of betrayal. 5⭐

Nothing compares to feeling the pain yourself.

You can always try to imagine it, but it will never come close to reality.

And when that happens, it's unfortunately too late

Tx77TumbleweedTx77Tumbleweed3 months ago

This was certainly a quality story and not at all like most of the happy endings found in this category. Clearly a five star effort.

miket0422miket04223 months ago

That's a sad little Valentine story. Well written.

shopratshoprat3 months ago

Well written, very good story.

CrazyDaveTrucker60CrazyDaveTrucker603 months ago

Wow. Destruction laid upon more destruction. Happy fuckin’ VD. If you had intended to forge a sad tale, then you succeeded.

KarnevilKarnevil3 months ago

A well written story about a very selfish and, frankly, very stupid woman. Unfortunately, due to the POV and nature of the plot we only really got half the tale. We know that the husband was wronged, and he had the moral high ground. But sadly he allowed himself to sink to her level with his childish and petty revenge. In the end I had only pity and a profound dislike for both parties.

johntcookseyjohntcooksey3 months ago

A classic tale of infidelity, oozing with pain and angst and recriminations. Superbly executed. Thanks

Demosthenes384bcDemosthenes384bc3 months ago

As I often comment on here, stories too heavy on narrative make it hard for the reader to completely buy not the characters and story’s premise. This tale is no exception, despite the great writing. I couldn’t fully connect her year of loneliness and self loathing with passing on a reconciliation possibility because Josh was mean to her. 4.3*

EightyThousandEightyFiveEightyThousandEightyFive3 months ago

I do enjoy a tale where the cheaters aren’t just stand in’s for punching bags. A glimmer of agency is always welcome.

groaningbumpgroaningbump3 months ago

Very good, albeit sad, story. Thank you for sharing! - gb

LotusblumeLotusblume3 months ago

You can only feel sorry for this "striking blonde" if she is really the new lover of this idiot Josh. He obviously still hasn't come to terms with the fact that he's only second choice.

jocko_smithjocko_smith3 months ago

An excellent tale, and an excellent gift:

.

Josh has given her the gift of reflection on her selfishness. Her quest for her own pleasure with disregard for her own integrity, and her supposed "love" for another. That she needs a total emotional/psychological/spiritual overhaul before she would ever be worthy of another's trust, another's love

ScorpioJJScorpioJJ3 months ago

Good ending. RAAC wouldn’t work. At least they both realized that they needed to move on and be better people in their future relationships, especially her.

GarySmith69GarySmith693 months ago

Well they do say "Revenge is a dish best served cold." This was certainly cold. I think the ex wife got the point. Hopefully Josh and Tiffany lived happily ever after.

Just_WordsJust_Words3 months ago

That was remarkably good. 5*****! I'll never understand a cheater's mind, but at least here she begins to understand herself. We don't normally read that here.

woodwardwoodward3 months ago

Did not understand this line in the story -" In that instant, I realized I could never be with someone capable of hurting me the same way as he did." She cheated and now is above it all.

Great story otherwise.

des911des9113 months ago

A thoughtful story that brings home the pain of betrayal. Well done.

rhetthebratrhetthebrat3 months ago

Tight, taut, real. Excellent. Thanks.

GamblnluckGamblnluck3 months ago

@ woodward and cooking... The line in question was misstated. Perhaps it was in editing. It should read. "In that instant, I realized I could never be with someone capable of hurting me the way he did. The same way I did to him."

The story was a very nice one of realization and regret. Good work sir!

UnassignedUnassigned3 months ago

Simply outstanding, and expertly crafted, nothing else to say. Thank you!

DontPanic442DontPanic4423 months ago

Wonderful story. Thank you.

Dittybopper6989Dittybopper69893 months ago

Well written with a decent story line, just felt something was lacking.

DrtywrdsmithDrtywrdsmith3 months ago

Great story! ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️

Oatmeal1969Oatmeal19693 months ago

She got shown how badly she betrayed her husband and was given a second chance and turned it down? Without finding out who this other woman was? She could have been an escort hired play a part.

truthandjustice99truthandjustice993 months ago

Another cowardly husband who runs away and doesn't try to work on a marriage Boring The dead flowers were a nice touch

AnonymousAnonymous3 months ago

A well told, albeit a bit dark, tale about the things people do to one another. Not a feel good Valentine's Day story, but well played.

AnonymousAnonymous3 months ago

A good story with great moral lessons.

FlamethrowFlamethrow3 months ago

Very sad but powerful story of betrayal.

Harryin VAHarryin VA3 months ago

A great story. I am stuck by the remarks at the end of the story that the wife has with her internal thinking process. The husband went out of his way to teach a important lesson. But instead of recognizing the lesson and recognizing the justification of what her husband did because of her cheating she comes to the completely the wrong conclusion.

The wifec says she could never be with a man who would inflict that much pain and hurt on her. Okay. But she did not have a problem inflicting that much pain on her husband. The problem is that she should be upset over anybody treating her husband the way she treated them. Instead she's making excuses for her behavior.

WhackdoodleWhackdoodle3 months ago

This was very good. No BTB, no years of melancholy and a descent into man made hell. Just two people who had a good thing until choices were made that broke it.

We can point the finger at her and she has a large share of the blame but it wasn’t malicious, just selfish and she paid the price for it.

Great story, well worth the read.

AnonymousAnonymous3 months ago

:(

No, the statement "Josh had shown me exactly what I'd done to him" is not true.

While that statement is not completely true, Josh made a good run at it.

Good story

Five for you

AnonymousAnonymous3 months ago

Very nice, realistic and well balanced tale of betrayment, ending with the due and inevitable divorce. A good description of the thinking and behaviours of the two spouses: coldness, pain, hope for a new life in a different road. No need for tons of psycho-blabbering leading to an impossible RAAC, just the simple and hard facts. This could be a good and wise advice for those tempted by the thousands of so called "new-life-style", marriage and family destroying, unbelievable cheating-cuck tales. A well deserved 5 full stars.

AnonymousAnonymous3 months ago

One very, very rare realistic tale of cheating, describing both parties in a very much realistic way. The husband "french-exit", no-need-for-words, is certainly one of the best way to react to such level of betrayment, and showing to his narcissistic, slut ex-wife the pain he suffered, is certainly educative for her future choices. A little pearl in an ocean of marriage-destroying cheating tales. 5* !

AnonymousAnonymous3 months ago

Well written story, even if ultimately sad. The wife seemed to know what would happen in her fling, as something ALWAYS happens to make the cheater found out. I also disagree with the comment below me stating that without some dialogue, the story's hard to follow. Granted, if there was some, it would be nice, but it's lack didn't mess up the story, at least for me.

But the sentences of her thinking: "In that instant, I realized I could never be with someone capable of hurting me the same way as he did. As I did to him.... truly love a man who could assault my heart, and my emotions, so coldly and cruelly. So in the end, she's hoping for his forgiveness after what she did, but can't love somebody that did the same! She's not only a bitch, but a selfish one at that; in the end, I wonder how much she actually loved HIM & not his money.

5 stars Bob

tralan69ertralan69er3 months ago

That is a wow moment.

Crystal Clear. Thank you, please keep writing.

MsVanilla69MsVanilla693 months ago

Very well written gave enough of the back ground to get the story up to date , took a year of planning maybe it was best to forget but he wanted to serve her revenge cold at least he sent her flowers

AnonymousAnonymous3 months ago

A petty revenge, juvenile if you ask me! One bloody star!

kirei8kirei83 months ago

Missed the Mark! She still comes off a me me me person, concerned only with herself. If I am supposed to feel sorry for her, it will never happen. She deserves more auguish and pain than she received. That the slut actually could not forgive him for hurting her as he did was absolutely ridiculous.

AnonymousAnonymous3 months ago

His reprisal was not the same as her betrayal. She deceived him for months, fucking around behind his back. He moved on with his life. That means finding someone to share that life with. It was just a bit of happy coincidence that he was able to highlight for his ex wife what a horrible person she was. Hopefully she embraced the fact that the vindictive man was HER creation by her actions.

AnonymousAnonymous3 months ago

1* for not posting anon comments.

PowersworderPowersworder3 months ago

Very well written.

He did give her another gift that she overlooked.

A divorce gives her a chance at genuine happiness with someone new. She burned the old marriage to the ground with her infidelity, and no man ever recovers from that kind of betrayal. The husband she knew is dead and gone.

AnonymousAnonymous3 months ago

so he celibacy lasted until Mid April but it appeared to not have been Bret or was it and that is why he was mugged????

AnonymousAnonymous3 months ago

Well written but sad story

GardenshedGardenshed3 months ago

Very good story, but sad. No one wins.

Thanks for writing.

AnonymousAnonymous3 months ago

Well said. Only disappointment is I am still looking for why otherwise normal women fall off their sledge.

AnonymousAnonymous3 months ago

Just superb, CWG. You actually had me rooting for her to give reconciliation a try, but then you masterfully sold me on why she NEEDED to let Josh go. She probably learned her lesson, and maybe she’ll be able to construct a permanent and fulfilling relationship in the future.

.

5 *****

Schwanze1Schwanze13 months ago

Hmm. Somehow you made me want to punch the cheated on guy in the mouth. Weird.

Tomh1966Tomh19663 months ago

I was pulled inside that story.

Well done.

sbrooks103xsbrooks103x3 months ago

"I don't expect forgiveness to be easily forthcoming from either of us yet, but I'm here if you want to try." - Why should he need forgiveness? And why does she deserve it?

\

"I realized I could never be with someone capable of hurting me the same way as he did." - So he's a bad person because he could be as hurtful as she could? Pah!

\

@Karnevil, I don't see his revenge as childish, it taught her the lesson she NEEDED to learn.

AnonymousAnonymous3 months ago

A good but, sad tale.

Kernow2023Kernow20233 months ago

good story , well done

nixroxnixrox3 months ago

5 stars - I liked this story.

I think it would be more fitting for the SLUT to never get to enjoy February or Valentine's Day ever again.

The lesson needed to be reinforced every year - so that she would never be tempted again.

AnonymousAnonymous3 months ago

Concise, realistic, emotional. Loved it.

AnonymousAnonymous3 months ago

An excellent tale. 5 stars DMW aka Sumnut96

Frank66Frank663 months ago

Realism right between the eyes; this one worked. Thanks

AnonymousAnonymous3 months ago

The first 5 stars I have ever given.

inka2222inka22223 months ago

3 stars. Would have been 5 if you didn't make he go cucky-stupid at the very end and reward her treachery with money he didn't need to give her and she in no way deserved. That's the opposite of karma and justice. :( Why do the authors insist on snatching defeat from the jaws of victory and ruining otherwise good stories? And why even mention the pre-nup if you intend to reward the cheating skank anyway?

AnonymousAnonymous3 months ago

Surprise! Well written. Original. *****

njlaurennjlauren3 months ago

Wow, a story with two adults. When she says ' I couldn't be with a man who could inflict the same pain on me that I did him', it wasn't saying how dare Josh do that. It was saying she had hurt him so badly he was able to do that, which meant there was no way he/they could overcome the pain. One loose thread, was obvious that her loverboy beat up Josh, but story doesnt say.

katibkatib3 months ago

Great short story, skillfully done.

Russ43ChandlerRuss43Chandler3 months ago

Nicely Developed gave it 4 stars. Thanks

LT56linebackerLT56linebacker3 months ago

Alright, Ace, you made the Bear cry. My wife is sitting here laughing at me. A truly beautiful story that sucked so bad, I hated it. But 4 stars because it didn't have a happy ending. The Bear begrudgingly approves.

The BEAR

BehindbluisBehindbluis3 months ago

Sorry, screw the Bear. I thought it was a 5. Well delivered lesson. Thanks for the entertainment.

Mac_LapuMac_Lapu3 months ago

Poignantly well written story.

Liked it very much.

Thanks @cookingwithgas.

lAnatomistelAnatomiste3 months ago

What njlauren Said.

hank_rosehank_rose3 months ago

Good story, but did anyone else find it confusing, especially when Alise was caught with Brett. had to re-read it a few times to understand how that scene played out. I like the ending, not everything needs to be a reconciliation and this is a good example of that.

WargamerWargamer3 months ago

Yep a good story

5/5

AnonymousAnonymous3 months ago

"Only disappointment is I am still looking for why otherwise normal women fall off their sledge."

-

It's called blind selfishness, that make their brain fall down between their legs.

AnonymousAnonymous3 months ago

This slut wife must have been really retarded to not fully understand that her cheating betrayal was pure evilness, and devastant for her marriage and a possible family. This kind of blind selfishness has to be responsible of the total stupidity of these cheaters, no brain at all.

silverthorne16silverthorne163 months ago

Good, but VERY depressing!

Freddog6601Freddog66013 months ago

Not really a good BTB story. I found this piece, although well written, to be quite depressing.

FabGMxFabGMx3 months ago

Yeah Alise was full of herself at the start of the story, yet by the end she actually managed to mature and realize that you can destroy the love of one person for you and dont expect some kind of retaliation. Yes she cheat and lie, but then she realise what she do and the pain and hurt that inflict in her husband.

"I couldn't be with a man who could inflict the same pain on me that I did him" this phrase its the coming to terms on how she fucked up the one person that means everything to her, there is nothing there for them except the dying coals of a once great love.

And yet the fact that the husband choose balance the scales but not going for a metaphorycal kill, its probe that even after all the pain, he choose to remain a good person. The ending its fitting the two of them goin separate ways, one willing to try love again, another will get there in time, once she can past her regrets and guilt.

Billy_Ray_BanBilly_Ray_Ban3 months ago

Fuck around and find out. She did. 4/5 BRB

26thNC26thNC3 months ago

Great story. His revenge plan is very appropriate for the damage she did him. He could have exercised the prenup to completely burn her, but he showed a little undeserved mercy very well done.

AnonymousAnonymous3 months ago

He's a petty jerk. Literally could have sent her to counseling and achieved the same thing, instead he pulled off a contrived revenge.

AnonymousAnonymous3 months ago

Excellent

AnonymousAnonymous3 months ago

Very well done. I’m reminded of a quotation though I can’t remember where I read or heard it…“I’m older and wiser, but the dreams that gave me hope for the future are dead. They were stupid, naïve dreams, but they were mine. Now they’re dead.”

TwentysevenTwentyseven3 months ago

Reminds me of Groucho Marx's reasoning. "I wouldn't want to be a member of any club that would have me as a member."

AnonymousAnonymous3 months ago

The stupid cuck didn't know the details the reader knew, so his disappearing makes no sense without seeking some explanation from the wife. She's in a car with one of her biggest clients, and they had a flat tire. Very very suspicious, but obviously that was the first time the cuck got a clue that something was wrong with his marriage. The cuck didn't know how many times she fucked the asshole, and how much she Loved it. And she was breaking it off, so its not like the cuck was getting a bunch of vibes that the wife was falling in love with another man. And if the cuck had been monitoring her lifestyle he would see that his whore wife was alone and waiting, not fucking around.

\

It was a well written story, but it was written for audience effect, not to tell a realistic logical story of adultery and betrayal. The reader thinks the husband did all the right things, but from your own description of events there's no way the cuck could Be Sure he was doing the right, or even a reasonable thing. So upon closer scrutiny the execution of the plot is appealing, but without logical justification.

AnonymousAnonymous3 months ago

Wow. I can't help but be impressed with the depth of absolute stupidity displayed by some commenters. Just... Wow. I mean, you have NO reading comprehension at all, do you? LOL.

Happily_Married87Happily_Married873 months ago

Sad but well written story.

AnonymousAnonymous3 months ago

Personally, I wouldn’t have wasted the prior year on the wife before filing. Screw the so-called “lesson” and the self-righteous “How could he hurt me like that?” attitude.

WetheNorthWetheNorth3 months ago

Too much a cliché (the vodka and the therapy).

Show some originality.

AnonymousAnonymous3 months ago

The Bear is correct. It doesn’t have a happy ending. He gave the slut more money than he had to. He didn’t use his wealth to arrange for her to have “an accident”. She’s alive, not maimed or crippled. Her physical appearance hasn’t been changed to reflect her inner ugliness. Her name hasn’t become a hiss or a byword. She isn’t held up as a warning to other women.

Standing her up for a meeting isn’t a burn. This truly isn’t a happy ending!

ZK

AnonymousAnonymous3 months ago

" I could never again truly love a man who could assault my heart, and my emotions, so coldly and cruelly.

Yeah, like she's as pure as the driven snow? Fuck her and her entitlement.

Burn, bitch! Burn!

AnonymousAnonymous3 months ago

really nailed it

AnonymousAnonymous3 months ago

Painfully good, I guess even Karma wasn’t smirking … this time

Captcha

AnonymousAnonymous3 months ago

The soon to be ex-wife is a an uninteresting narcissist with barely average intelligence at best. Life has many hard knocks waiting in her future. The estranged husband is a rich, petty prick whose mid life crisis will truly be a doozy. His new squeeze is not nearly as pretty on the inside as she is portrayed to be on the outside. The repayment will be painful when the time comes to settle the karmic debt she incurred by participating in her sugar daddy's public humiliation of the woman he once claimed to love Grateful not to know any of them.

AnonymousAnonymous3 months ago

Never wed a woman who puts sex 1st in a marriage. You will never be better than what she wants. Love and like each other.

AnonymousAnonymous3 months ago

Well written, very sad story. 5 stars from me.

From a practical stand point, I doubt that the firm she works for would be too happy that Alise is tapping their clients. Although the first go round ended in marriage and presumably a happy client in Josh, the second go round ended so badly that the firm could have lost 2 good clients. And her road to junior partner may have been fatally derailed.

AnonymousAnonymous3 months ago

Well done. Thanks for an original story.

AnonymousAnonymous3 months ago

What's with the dangling reconciliation? If Alise had taken him up on it, would he just laugh in her face and say 'Just Kidding'? And what about the new woman in his life, Tiffany, who he says has helped him recover? How would she fit into this 'reconciliation'?

AnonymousAnonymous3 months ago

Wow! What a fine piece of literature. Very sad, and very wise.

Ed

AnonymousAnonymous3 months ago

Much better and more interesting ending than the typical LW BTB to which "The Bear" and "ZK" seem to crave. If Josh thinks the story ended happily for him, then it did. Period. If he wishes a happier ending than she might deserve for the woman he once loved, that's his business.

ReedRichardsReedRichards3 months ago

The revenge of seeing her husband with another woman was different than the usual here, so that was good. But Tiffany? That’s almost always some chick’s stripper name!

12
Anonymous
Our Comments Policy is available in the Lit FAQ
Post as:
Anonymous
usercookingwithgas@cookingwithgas
Romance novelist, under pen name K.L. Denison. You can follow me on Amazon, KDP and coming soon on SmashWords Like writing and posting free stories for others' enjoyment - often just to clear a writer's block. Real life can be pretty boring, so I strive to avoid the common ...