All Comments on 'Guilty Pleasures Ch. 06'

by Publius68

Sort by:
  • 17 Comments
KHelmKHelmabout 1 year ago

I'm not really a BTB guy, but I can't help but feel like Yancey and Rebecca are both getting off a bit easy here

Fuck Yancey

shadrachtshadrachtabout 1 year ago

Totally agree there. Even six years after the divorce, I would not be feeling sympathy, or a willingness to talk to my ex-wife if I found out she'd been fucking her way through acquaintances, and then fell in love with one of them. His willingness to be civil to her at all feels like it breaks the bonds of realism here. And then when she had to add that barb about him fucking their daughter's friends? It'd be war.

It would be hard enough forgiving or being okay with Yancy again, but Rebecca? Who has paid no penance other than her own plans falling through? Fuck that. At the *VERY* least, I'd let Becca know, since apparently talking about parent's sex lives is A-Okay...

shadrachtshadrachtabout 1 year ago

Fuck Yancy, and super fuck Rebecca...

vanyevanyeabout 1 year ago

No Rebecca, it wasn't Julian who broke the marriage. It was you.

MillstoneMagnetMillstoneMagnetabout 1 year ago

Wow the casual insertion of antisemitism was really unnecessary and gross. Do better.

Publius68Publius68about 1 year agoAuthor

MillstoneMagnet,

Just a reminder to not conflate an author with his or her characters.

I know a lot of stories here are a direct pipeline from the author’s Id, but I ain’t those guys.

For the record, Saul started out as one of the larger bit players in this series, whose function was primarily comedic, as he was inexplicably (to other men) attractive to women.

He wasn’t funny enough, and he was hugely digressive so I cut him almost entirely during my first revision, and I rewrote him into this deliberate moment of casual darkness. I did that because I was mad at Clark, who was insisting on being too perfect at that point in the process. I gave him an opportunity to correct a problem, as he does reflexively, and too often, and had him for once just roll with it and shrug.

So yeah, the description of Saul sounds like a grody injection of casual anti-semitism that comes out of nowhere from a character because that is exactly what it is intended to sound like.

ThorlolThorlolabout 1 year ago

@KHelm How the fuck is Yancey getting off easy? The guy here fucks his wife and his daughter. No matter what Yancey did before, I find it hard to believe that he shrugs it off like its nothing. These people in the story have no emotions whatsoever.

MikeOrMikeyMikeOrMikeyabout 1 year ago

Wow....../another great chapter.

Xzy89c1Xzy89c1about 1 year ago

What a doormat this guy is.

KHelmKHelmabout 1 year ago

@thorlol

Yancey is actually enjoying the process of Clark being with his wife. It's a positive for him.

MillstoneMagnetMillstoneMagnetabout 1 year ago

I am familiar with the argument "I am not the antisemite, this character is the antisemite."

My point is that isn't a story exploring antisemitism thus having an antisemite character is necessary or expected. This is story about other things, and you can choose to not have that character be antisemitic without detracting from the story. You could even make the exact same story beat of Saul being inexplicably attractive to women and Clark being a douche without throwing multiple antisemitic tropes into that line of dialog. That is what I mean about doing better. Figure out a better way to hit those story beats without using hurtful and gross shortcuts like that. Because 1. even if you mean them to be a signal that Clark is a bad dude, other people still see casual racism as legitimizing their own bigotry because its normalizing that sort of talk. and 2. it was genuinely gross and upsetting to suddenly stumble into that line as a reader. It took me out of the story.

LittleEngineThatCouldLittleEngineThatCould12 months ago

Oh chill the fuck out. It’s a GREAT story.

MarkT63MarkT6311 months ago

There was no anti semetism in this story. Some people are too sensitive!!! Too bad you have let Rebecca off so far. She deserves some serious retribution...

RonanJWilkersonRonanJWilkerson10 months ago

@Millstone: you do know there are other races / ethnicities that have hook noses right? No where was it said Saul was Jewish. you made an assumption that says more about you than than the author.

Xzy89c1Xzy89c19 months ago

Rebecca absolutely deserved to be screwed over. Good grief

AnonymousAnonymous7 months ago

On page 2, Monica says goodbye to Monica instead of Wanda.

Madeira1076Madeira10764 months ago

My gosh both guys are cucks. Complete wimp, thank god this is fantasy, he would never get laid. I can't believe he doesn't see his wife got what she gave....

This guy is not a holier than thou knight.

Anonymous
Our Comments Policy is available in the Lit FAQ
Post as:
Anonymous
userPublius68@Publius68
5-5-2024 Chapter 8 of Sylvan Courtyard is out now, and the final two chapters will be out in very short order! Give them a read and let me know how you are liking them. ————— 4-4-2024 I have now released Chapter Four of Sylvan Courtyard. It seems well received. Thank you all. ...

READ MORE OF THIS SERIES