Guilty Until Proven Innocent Pt. 02

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

I called Terrance, and we set aside some time in two days to go through the charity. He noted that my sister had called, asking to meet with me again. Obviously, the chance meeting between Patricia and Victoria had motivated another attempt to contact me.

For the first time since my ordeal started, I tried to look at my old family with fresh eyes. The love I now admitted I had for Victoria had certainly swallowed part of the bitterness I had at the world. But no, upon reflection, I still had no desire to meet with or speak with my old family. Perhaps one day my kids. But I wasn't there yet. That they were being socially shunned for their treatment of my guilt or, in my eventual case, my innocence, was not my issue.

The rest of the week flew by. During the day I worked on my various charities. In the evening Victoria and I went out, then came back and made love, each night falling asleep together in a hot sweaty mess that we both knew we would be content with for the rest of our lives.

At the end of the week when we flew back to Queensland, I must admit I felt like a new man. Victoria and I got engaged after only three months of dating. We didn't feel it was fast, and as Doug pointed out, we had been joined at the hip for the past year. He was surprised it took us that long.

We set a date for four months, just enough time to get all our affairs in order. Terrance prepared a pre-nuptial agreement for us. In essence, we would each retain our individual accounts and have a joint account which we would put money into on a regular basis. My personal accounts and investments were off-limit to Victoria, but the same also applied to me for her personal accounts and investments.

Any joint investments we had would be owned fifty-fifty.

Our wedding was a small affair on the beach in the afternoon outside our place. Terrance, Doug and their families, along with Victoria's Mother, Denise. Unfortunately, her father had already passed away. Denise had known about Victoria and I since not long after my release when she asked her daughter why she was travelling to Queensland so often since it was not for work. When Victoria came clean to her mother there were a few awkward days, but I had come to enjoy my time with my now mother-in-law. She had a clever wit like her daughter and I could tell she still loved her departed husband as fiercely today now that he was gone as the day they met.

We settled into a comfortable life, now retired, several law firms were chasing my wife to consult. However, like myself, Victoria used Terrance for all communications, keeping our private life together exactly that, private.

She did almost faint when she found out my personal worth. With what she figured our home in 1770 was worth, she had thought that combining our money together would afford us a comfortable living. She thought she was bringing more wealth to the relationship than I did.

We spent our time together walking, reading, and fishing together. When I travelled for charity, she came with me. On the rare occasion that I had to travel without her, she demanded that I call her at least three times a day.

What cemented the fact that I knew I was in love forever was our first fight. It was over folding towels, of all things. Victoria had learnt a particular way to fold towels and I learnt another. As we lived on a beach, we went through a lot of towels, so it got under her skin quickly that I didn't fold them like her.

The words were not too heated, but we disagreed. She called me a stubborn asshole and I may have yelled an expletive in return. Immediately, Victoria realised what she had done and broke down.

"I'm sorry honey, I mean.... Towels, they're just towels," she told me, sitting down on the floor outside the hallway cupboard.

I laughed, running my hand across my shaved scalp.

"Darling," I replied with a smile on my face, and sitting on the ground beside her, pulling her to my chest. "I am sorry I yelled at you, and you're right. They are just towels."

It set the tone for us. When we disagreed or fought about things, we always laughed afterwards and sought each other out.

It was about six months later that our worlds changed again. I was feeling a little melancholy. It was the first Sunday in September, in Australia, that's Father's Day. For the first time since being remarried, I was feeling the absence of my kids. I hated what they had done, and for so many years now, that hatred had covered over the feelings of love I had for them. I mean, I was still their biological father even if my former friend was now their official father. My youngest would have turned twenty-one a few months ago. I was sitting on the back deck a book on the table in front of me, a glass of juice beside it, condensation running down the outside of the glass. But my mind was on my kids as I watched the ocean. I felt sad for what once was.

I felt more than saw, Victoria sit down beside me.

"You okay Mike?" she asked quietly.

I nodded, "Yeah," I sighed. "I guess... It's just a hard day."

I turned to look at my beautiful bride as she nodded.

"I know, honey. I get it, Father's Day, and you don't feel like a father." She said, speaking my mind for me.

I had also called Garlin and Mary a few hours ago, and I was still emotionally spent from that call. But I felt I owed it to them. We had become so close over the last few months. They had opened their lives to me and felt more like a family to me than the family I once had.

Victoria reached up and wiped away a single tear that I hadn't even known was there.

"Mike?" my wife said. I could hear an edge to her voice.

Her tone shook me out of my reprieve.

"You all right Victoria? I know you miss your dad today as well." I said, looking at her. Victoria had been very close to her father.

She shook her head and looked on the verge of tears. Slowly she pulled out a plastic strip and held it out to me. On it, there were two lines. At first, I thought it was a positive COVID test, the world had largely gotten over the global pandemic and a sense of normality now prevailed in most areas of the world, but it always paid to be aware.

Of course, it wasn't a COIVD test. Between looking at the test and the water in my bride's eyes, it must have gotten through to me as Victoria nodded.

"Yes baby, I'm pregnant," my wife told me.

[:::: Victoria ::::]

I could feel myself breaking inside. Before Mike and I fell in love, I would never have considered having kids. Sure they looked cute, but I was a professional woman; kids were not in the plan. But then I met Mike, my best friend and soulmate.

Making love with him was an otherworldly experience, and I will admit that in the back of my mind I had wondered what it would be like to have kids with him. Sure we were both a little older, me in my mid-thirties and Mike now into his forties. But it could work.

We have only had two conversations about kids and both times, I could see the pain on his face as it reminded him of what he had lost. I planned to talk to him about it around Christmas and have a serious conversation knowing we only had a couple of years if we truly wanted to have children together.

"How... How did this happen?" Mike asked me, the look on his face going back and forth between the test strip and me. More than once, he glanced down at my belly.

Despite the tenseness of the situation, I laughed.

"Well, when a man and a woman..." I trailed off and he smiled. Not a total loss.

"I get that, God knows we certainly spend enough time doing the practice, but I mean how did it... I mean, you were on birth control, weren't you? He asked me. Mike's tone wasn't accusatory, but a note of question was posed.

I nodded my head.

"I think it was the weekend of Doug and Silvia's party. We had drunk quite a bit, and while I did have my tablets, I was a little late in having them." I replied. "And that weekend, you did leave a little more than usual in your deposits at the bank..."

Mike smiled again at my innuendo. Then the smile broadened at his recalling the memory of the weekend.

"Are you okay?" his sudden question caught me off guard. I was ready to be there for him. Our life together was near perfect in both of our estimations. Adding a child, while not unwelcome, would bring an element of chaos that I don't know Mike needed.

I nodded my head.

"I think so, honey," I replied. "I mean, a couple of weeks ago, I was feeling really off. I could smell almost everything and honestly, my bras were scratching my nipples.

"When my period was late this week, I went to the chemist and got a couple of tests. I hadn't even thought of Father's Day being today, but... surprise!" I said quietly, waiting for a reaction.

It wasn't what I was expecting. I think I expected my husband to break down, to yell, to cry, even fly off the handle and run. I didn't expect the smile.

"We're going to be parents?" he said as he leaned in and kissed me.

"We're going to be parents." He repeated as he squatted down and put his lips against my belly a smile plastered on his lips.

"You hear me little one," he said, speaking to my stomach. "Your Mum and I are going to be your parents and we're going to love you like nothing else." I smiled as he spoke to my belly and I purposely pushed my tummy out a little, causing both of us to laugh as he kissed my belly.

That night in bed, Mike made such sensual love to me. He was cautious of the pressure on my breasts and took me in long slow strokes. He ensured my orgasms came in soft undulating waves by working the various parts of my body. His care of me, again underscored how much I loved this man. Mike still had his moments where I could see him struggling, but the quiet strength he showed as he looked after me belied the pain I knew that still roamed underneath the surface. His slowly fading scars the only external evidence of what my husband had been through.

The next day, Mike and I went into town and got my pregnancy confirmed. We then went and got all the tablets and supplements that one does when expecting and Mike waited on me hand and foot, always a smile on his face.

I don't think I had seen him so happy since our first night together. When it was time, he proudly told my mother. She broke down crying, happy that she would be able to become a grandparent. She was unsure that I would ever give her the privilege, so wrapped up in my legal career. Doug and Silvia had to have an impromptu dinner party, and we were treated to an amazing meal. Well in my state, everything smelt amazing. I was ravenous as our babies took everything that they could from my system. Yeah, we were having Twins.

When we went in for our first scan, it was barely detectable, however, the nurse was able to identify two distinct heartbeats. The scan showed almost perfect placement for developing twins, and they looked healthy from what we could tell.

Twins also explained why I was ballooning up so quickly. I did quickly lament the loss of my toned abs and almost flawless legs. But Mike told me how beautiful I looked as my body grew. My doctors told me that everything was perfect. That I had 'the glow'. But seeing the loving gaze my husband gave me more than made up for my feelings of vanity.

As I grew into my pregnancy, I'll admit that I felt more like a barn with two kids kicking the doors every ten minutes, but there were times between crying for no reason, craving pickles and honeycomb ice cream, that I felt the glow, everyone told me I had. Mike's smile also lent me strength; he was walking ten feet high anywhere we went. He admitted that between his kids and being there with the Bustoff girls at the end. He saw this as a chance at redemption, to do it right. I could understand that.

My husband worked with my mood swings, they were a little more intense with the hormones accompanying two children, but he took it all in stride. He never fussed, always at my beck and call.

When it was time to head to Perth for the quarterly board meeting for our charity, I came with him. In another month I wouldn't be able to travel until our kids with born. For once, instead of using the commercial-free travel provided by the government, Mike chartered a plane for us to Perth and back. I had been fortunate to fly a couple of times privately in the past, and from what I understand, this was Mike's first time ever, but the flight over was amazing. The moment the cabin staff saw I was pregnant, nothing was too much for them. They waited on Mike and I hand and foot. Meals, hot towels, and at one point, when one of the stewardesses gave me a foot massage, I almost had an orgasm.

I whispered to Mike not long after that I wanted to join the mile-high club, and my husband took me into a private section for sleeping and proceeded to make me moan so loudly that our friendly stewardess gave Mike a very suggestive glance when we both came out not long before landing.

Mike had a corporate car ready and waiting as he helped me disembark. I may have felt as large as a house. But my husband made me feel so loved.

As we drove from the airport into town, Mike and I talked about today's board meeting. While we had talked to Mary and Garlin several times in the past week, this would be the first time seeing them since I fell pregnant. Also, Terrance and Constance would be there and I know Constance was looking forward to hearing how I was progressing. There was an excitement about my pregnancy that was over and above the usual friends getting around to support us. Everyone knew Mike needed this. So it was a surprise to us getting out of the car in front of Terrance's office building when Mike's past reared its head into the here and now.

[:::: Mike ::::]

"Daddy?" The voice spoke, I hadn't heard it in several years and it caused me to pause, my body almost frozen in place.

Victoria and I had arrived at Terrance's office and I had jumped out of the car to open Victoria's door before the driver could. I was in the process of helping my pregnant wife out of the door when the voice of my daughter intruded.

I turned slowly, noticing a small group of people standing a dozen paces away. It looked like they had been standing for a while, watching cars come and go. Obviously, they had been waiting for me.

The group consisted of my daughter, Matilda, both of my sons, Leo and John, my sister, who Victoria had met at the airport, Patricia and my parents, Brent and Roberta.

As I turned to the voice, all six of them let their gaze fall upon me.

Looking at them my eyes went wide and again I froze, the moment I had dreaded for years was here. Like a deer in the headlights I felt my chest tighten till I couldn't draw breath. Every muscle in my body tightened, and I felt the release of hormones such as adrenaline into my bloodstream readying my body to run or stand and fight.

Victoria's arms slid around my waist in support, I know that as she held me, she had a fair idea of what was going on in my head. She too had seen the assembled group of my former family and I could feel waves of rage begin to roll off her. Pregnancy wasn't just defence of unborn kids to my wife, it was also defence of me.

"I'm sorry?" Victoria said addressing my daughter in a tone that belied the blaze that had ignited behind her eyes.

"That's my dad," Matilda said responding to Victoria but looking me directly in the eyes, "I know it's you. You look different, but it's you no doubt."

"I'm sorry miss, but my husband, Joel," Victoria said emphasizing the word. "Lost his entire family years ago, today has me and soon, our babies." She said smiling, it wasn't a kind smile though.

I was still frozen, scenes of growing up with my parents, my siblings and kids, happy memories were interspersed with the insults hurled, the beatings and slapping delivered, the courtroom antics. I could feel myself coming undone with each moment that passed. For the last few years Victoria had put a lot into helping me repair the damage, and just seeing my former life in front of me was breaking down walls and defences quicker than I could believe.

I felt Victoria try to begin herding me towards to the doors, the woman I had just been helping out of the car was now helping me. The small part of me that was still sane, knew this and helped to release my muscles and let her guide me.

"I know it's you Mike," Patricia said, then looked at Victoria, tears starting to stream down her face. "There is only one man that has that look, that haunted look of being betrayed by the world and worse being abused by those that once told him they loved him.

"And his name is not Joel, Ms Brown. I remember you and him that day at the airport." Patricia said tersely toward Victoria. While there was a mournful note in her voice, there was now a note of anger.

"You stood right there, telling me off and telling me to find a way to talk to my brother and all the while you were standing there waiting for him. Tell me," Patricia said taking two strides forward, anger now in her eyes. "Did you feel good berating me all the while manipulating my brother for your own guilty ends, or are you just a slut that will go to any length to justify incarcerating an innocent man?"

If it would have struck, I am sure that my sister would have had a red handprint on her cheek for days. Though pregnant, my wife was still fast, and if I had not of grabbed her arm, my sister would have copped the full force of an angry and pregnant wife.

My sudden reaction to Victoria's movement snapped me back into focus.

"Patricia," I snarled. "You have no right to insult my wife like that."

Realising that I spoke and acknowledged her by name caused everyone to gasp. Patricia in particular shrank back.

"Joel," Victoria said quietly trying to give me a way out.

"Shhhhh," I said patting her hand. "It's okay darling."

I looked at my assembled family. I gestured at my wife while glaring at my assembled family.

"This woman has done more to put me back together than all of you collectively did to tear me apart. You don't get to hurl insults at her. Even before my conviction, she was already doubting that I did the crime, do you know why!"

No one said anything, they all just stared at me.

"Because she asked!" I spat, my emotions now spilling out. If they could my family shrank back further.

"Not one of you. None. Bothered to even ask if I had done what I was accused of." I snarled a feral expression appearing on my face. "No. You all had to get on the hate Murder Mike bandwagon, and even then it wasn't enough. How do you think it felt to get beaten by your own flesh and blood, to have cheeks so swollen from your mother, sisters, and daughters slapping you till their hands ached."

I watched as they grabbed their hands.

"How do you think I felt as my father threw cowardly punches into my stomach while I was restrained?

I saw the males in the group look away in shame.

"The insults you all threw. The media interviews you all gave at how.... Vile, I was to you. None of you once... asked! Before the charges, you had tried me, convicted me and decided that it didn't matter what I had or had not done. You bought into the frenzy and now you want to berate the woman who put herself on the line to rebuild me. A woman who spent months going through evidence that was more than enough to convict me because she had an inkling that I might be innocent because she took the time to look into my face and ASK!

I was hyperventilating now. Nobody moved, my final words screamed at my family a faint echo of the final word echoing around the buildings still ringing with the anger and bitterness poured out from my soul.

"My life was happy," I said mournfully, quietly, though you could hear every word within a dozen paces. "I loved my family, I had a good job, a loving wife and the respect of my peers."