Gym Buddies Ch. 01

Story Info
Strangers become gym buddies.
4.6k words
4.58
18.3k
18
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Tom Meadows didn't consider himself an expert on people -- after all, he was a technology guy, for the last four of his 27 years a network engineer. But he did find his membership at Somerset Fitness Club to be interesting -- and a source of amusement. He classified the members as 'Regulars', 'Part-Timers' and 'Occasionals'. After his first year of 4- to 5-day-a-week workouts, he had most members tagged, and had even assigned nicknames to a few.

Unlike others, this gym attracted an even mix of men and women which Tom liked better than his last gym which was thick with jacked-up muscleheads with who-knows-what artificial chemicals messing up their bodies. But, being serious about his workout routine, he didn't come to the gym for the scenery. He did like the smoothies they served at the snack bar, and treated himself to one most every night on the way out as a reward for sticking to his workout schedule.

Not that he didn't notice the women at Somerset, several of which were attractive. There were three that stood out -- he had labeled them 'Bimbette' 1, 2 and 3. Their lack of focus on actually exercising and tight, revealing spandex outfits were advertising that let the men know they were available. Numbers 1 and 3 had struck up conversations with him. While they were cute, Tom didn't bite as his current girlfriend, Cyndi, already fit this category. The Bimbettes didn't lack for attention from other male members (by either definition).

Early January brought the usual group of new-years-resolution freshman members, including Her, and She immediately caught Tom's eye. A little on the tall side, maybe five-nine, with an attractive, but not 'cute' face, a perfect nose, big blue eyes, pronounced cheekbones and perfectly trimmed eyebrows, Tom figured her for mid-twenties. Her wavy blonde hair was ponytailed by a plain white ballcap. No earrings. She wore a loose sweatshirt and baggy sweatpants, so whatever was underneath, she wasn't advertising. No makeup -- but she didn't need it. He decided she resembled the actress Robin Wright.

"Definitely not Bimbette #4," Tom muttered under his breath.

She tossed a bag into one of the cubbyholes the club had along one wall for members that didn't need to change in the locker rooms. They were in plain view, so you didn't have to worry about theft. She pulled out a small clipboard and went right to work. Tom could see She was very focused on her workout, not looking around, not making eye contact, no chitchat.

Her schedule turned out to be Monday and Wednesday, 6-7pm which overlapped with his Monday to Thursday 6-7 slot, so he saw Her twice a week. While She always wore baggy sweats, Tom could tell from numerous surreptitious looks that there was first-class body underneath, including very substantial breasts. A couple of the Regular guys attempted, without success, to strike up conversations, despite the obvious wedding ring. She just ignored them, and never made eye contact with Tom for more than a split second.

It was on the third Monday in February that the incident happened. Tom had noticed the two guys sign in and get guest passes. They were a bit seedy looking, not quite up to the club's standards. They checked out the place without actually trying any of the machines or weights. One of the pair nodded towards Her, and they strode over and stood on either side, leaning on the adduction machine's frame, as She worked. Tom, watching the scene in the wall mirror from about twenty feet away, sensed something was not quite right. He could tell She said something and Tom saw her eyebrow raise as She scowled at them, clearly not appreciating the attention. The bigger of the two rested his hand on Her shoe, in the machine's footrest, and that was enough for Tom.

He popped off his machine, muttering under his breath, "Enough, dickheads," strode over, stood next to Her, and smiled. "Hey, honey, you about done and ready for dinner?"

He turned and positioned his 6'2", 215-pound body within six inches of Mr. hand-on-foot, looked down and fixed him with a totally blank expression and cold stare. Proving they weren't as stupid as they appeared, both knuckleheads reluctantly fled the scene. Tom turned towards Her as She got off the machine. "Hey, didn't mean to-"

Her face turned red and She wagged her finger in his face. "I can handle myself without your help, musclehead, so back off!"

Tom backed up, raising his palms in front of him, turned and went back this machine. "Well, guess that wasn't a very smart move. She's a real hard case. What was I thinking?', he mused as he resumed his workout, not looking up to avoid seeing Her. When he finished his reps and got up, She was gone.

******

Kelli Alaine Sappington stalked out of the gym, her jaw clenched. 'Who the hell does he think he is, trying to 'save' me from those cretins? Just because I've got tits doesn't mean I can't take care of myself! Tired of being patronized by men.' She threw her bag onto her Jeep's front seat, slammed the door and sped out of the parking lot.

She was still fuming when her older sister Patti called. "Hey Kel - what's up?"

She recounted the incident, adding her pungent opinion of the two guys that approached her.

Patti's curiosity was piqued. "So, the guy that butted in -- was he an ass about it?"

"Well, no." She was finally calming down.

"Have you seen him around the gym before?"

"Yea, he seems to be a regular."

"Describe him."

"What? Why?"

"Just do it."

"Oh, he's tall, maybe six-two or six-three, dark hair, pretty muscular."

"Cute?"

"I really didn't notice...well, um, I guess you could say that."

"Ok, so, a tall, handsome, muscular man thinks you might need help and steps in - and hell, he was clever about it - and you tell him to fuck off -- right?"

Kelli didn't answer, processing, staring at the road.

"Girl, I'm going so dope-slap you next time I see you! Some handsome guy is a perfect gentleman, and you push him away. Really?"

"Oh."

"So, the next time you see him you better apologize for being a big-titted bitch, little sis, or I'm going to come to this gym and make you!"

Kelli laughed. "Ok, ok, I hear you, dammit, you're right."

"Just remember, big sisters are always right!"

"The hell! You're the one who told me to marry that Brad guy -- and he turned out to be an ex-con!"

They both laughed.

"Hell, the guy probably couldn't stop himself from walking over -- he was probably drawn in by the gravitational field of those freakin' huge juggs of yours, like all men have since those things erupted when you were 14! Not fair you got the family huge tits -- but I have a far better ass!"

Kelli laughed. "The hell you do -- with my working out now I'll have you beat!"

"Don't count on it, blondie! Hey, see you and Richard at my place Saturday night?"

"Sure! Bye, 'T."

As she thought about it over the next two days it was more and more clear that she had been a bitch. 'Damn, hate apologizing, especially to a man.'

*****

Kelli called her sister on the way to the gym Wednesday night. "Ok, I'm going to apologize to the guy tonight. He'll probably tell me to stick it."

"You're wrong, Kel. I think you'll make a new friend."

Tom was working arm curls when he saw Her approach out of the corner of his eye. 'Oh, great, guess I'm going to get another ass-chewing.' She stopped in front of him, bit her lip, folded her arms around her chest and looked down, nervously. He put the weight down and raised his palms up. "Hey, look, I'm sor--"

"Um, hey, um, I'm the one who should apologize. I'm sorry I was a bitch."

He stared at her, totally surprised, unable to think of a response.

She'd rehearsed the apology, enunciating each word clearly. "You were just trying to help, and I should appreciate that." She continued, biting her lip, waiting for his reaction. 'He'll probably tell me to stick it. Can't blame him.'

She looked up as he broke into a huge smile and extended his hand. "Accepted. I'm Tom."

Surprised, she hesitated, then took his big hand, managing an awkward half-smile. "Kelli."

He held her hand just a fraction of a second longer than what might have been appropriate, and she noticed. After a few seconds he broke the awkward silence. "Well, it's nice to meet you, Kelli. Um, you have a good workout."

"You too, Tom." They went their separate ways.

She felt a chill in her upper back. 'Damn, he's an attractive man. I really should do something else to apologize.'

Tom noticed she was gone when he finished up his workout. He stopped by the snack bar on his way out to grab his usual smoothie. The teenaged barista handed him his cup and he went to insert his credit card, but the kid waved him off and nodded towards the door. "Don't need it -- that woman in the white ballcap that just left paid for it."

On the paper cup, written in pretty, flowery script was 'Sorry.' He smiled as he walked out.

*****

Tom found himself looking forward to seeing her when Monday rolled around. She was already there, on the lat pulldown machine. He stopped, wondering if he should approach her, say something - or not. She turned and looked at him for a few seconds, so he decided to go for it.

"Hey, thanks for the smoothie, Kelli -- that was nice."

She gave that half-smile again. "Least I could do."

He gave her his big smile. "So, how do you like this new machine?"

"It's a little stiff, but better than the old one." The ice broken, they chatted a bit and went on with their workouts.

Over the next few workout days Tom and Kelli fell into the routine of briefly chatting at the beginning of their workouts, and that progressed to short talks at the end of their sessions at the snack bar. Their conversation came easily, but was narrowly confined to working out, or 'how was your day?'. Comfortable, but not overly personal. Tom noted she was strong, and pushed herself pretty hard, increasing her weight level regularly.

On the Wednesday of the fourth week after the 'incident' he was buying his smoothie when she walked up. He nodded to the menu. "I think I owe you one -- what'll you have?"

Her eyes -- her very pretty, very blue eyes - narrowed just a fraction, and her left eyebrow arched up as she processed his offer. 'Don't want him to get any ideas, but hell, it's just a smoothie.' She nodded and placed her order. They walked out together with their smoothies into the unseasonably warm night. A picnic table occupied the small, rather forlorn patch of grass right in front of the club.

"I think I'll just sit here and enjoy the night for a few minutes. Join me?"

He sensed a slight hesitation, then she sat down next to him. He smiled. "So, did you notice the guy with the hairpiece on the treadmill?"

She smiled -- a full smile, for the first time. 'Oh, wow, that's a beautiful smile!'

"Yea, does he think nobody actually notices the rug?" They laughed, and talked about some of the more unusual club members for a few minutes. They finished their smoothies, got up and walked into the parking lot together. She was right in front -- a well-worn Jeep.

"Looks like your Jeep's been around for a while."

She opened the door and climbed in. "Yea, I've had it ever since I started driving -- we're used to each other. 'Night."

He waved. "Have a good weekend."

"You too." And she sped off.

*****

The following Monday Tom and Kelli again ended up talking at the front desk as they were leaving. 'Nothing to eat at home.....I really enjoy her company - wonder if......'

He nodded towards the sports bar just across the parking lot. "So, I was going to stop in at Brewsters for a bite to eat. You hungry?"

The eyebrow went up, barely noticeable, the eyes squinted and there was a hesitation. "Um, I really need to get home, thanks."

He smiled. "Ok, drive safe, see ya."

"Bye."

She paused at her Jeep and watched him walk towards Brewsters. 'He's a really nice guy and funny and so easy to talk to. And very, very handsome. Don't tempt yourself, girl!'

*****

Over the next weeks Tom and Kelli slowly, unconsciously, adjusted their workout routines so they pretty much synchronized and they followed each other from station to station. The Regulars took notice, and she was no longer subject to unwanted approaches. The pair compared notes on their progress, spotted each other and chatted, the topic list gradually widening. Tom no longer had to sneak his looks -- he could now check out his fit and toned workout partner at every machine and found everything met his approval. The fly machine was his favorite -- she couldn't hide the size of her chest! 'Something tells me she's sporting the most beautiful breasts...' Her ass, hidden under loose sweats, looked round and perfectly contoured. She always wore long, baggy sweats, so no chance for Tom to check out her legs.

For her part Kelli appreciated that Tom was solid muscle, with broad shoulders, but without looking freakish. He looked to have a perfect, muscular ass. She enjoyed watching his big muscles flex. Being very careful, she snuck in a few good looks at his crotch, noticing his substantial bulge. 'Looks like he's carrying some serious equipment there, and with those muscles -- wonder.........?'

*****

On a Wednesday in late April Kelli and Tom walked out together, finishing up their smoothies. 'Nothing to go home to tonight, I'm hungry, and he's a really nice guy.....' She stopped and turned to him. "So, how's the food at Brewsters?"

"Pretty good for a sports bar. Salads are good, burgers are great."

"Is there a dress code -- can we get in wearing our sweats?"

"Sure -- very casual."

"You hungry?"

He gave her his best smile. "Usually!" 'Oh, this is a nice surprise -- like to get to know her better.'

They dropped off their bags at their vehicles and walked up the steps to the entrance. They both reached for the door at the same time, awkwardly. Tom pulled it open. "Sorry, I was brought up to open the door for a lady."

She gave the half-smile and they went in and were seated, across from each other, in a booth.

Before they could say a word, their waitress approached -- and she was one of the bimbettes from the club that had flirted with Tom! She was wearing a low-cut t-shirt that displayed her ample cleavage for all to see.

Tom and Kelli's eyes met just for a second.

She introduced herself - Tiffany - and said she recognized them from the club. Tom didn't see it, but Tiffany gave Kelli a certain look that only a woman would recognize. They ordered burgers and she departed, swishing her hips for Tom's benefit.

They both burst out laughing. Kelli regained her composure first. "Well, we shouldn't be surprised that she's a Tiffany, right? And she's very proud of her boobs -- bet she rakes in the tips from you men."

Tom laughed. "Yea, bet she does pretty well! Hey -- are you implying that men don't just base tips in product knowledge and service? I'm shocked, shocked!"

She smirked and rolled her eyes.

He rested his head on the heel of his hand. "So, for the first few weeks after you started coming to the gym I never once saw you smile, so it's great to see you smiling and laughing. And you have a beautiful smile!"

'So, he's noticed me the whole time. Not sure I'm comfortable with that. Time to change the subject.'

"So, have you and Tiffany, you know, gone out or hooked up?"

He shook his head. "She's made it known to me she was available, but she's not my type, and I'm seeing someone."

"Not your type? With that body -- seriously?"

"She's attractive and has a great figure, but we'd run out of conversation on the first date."

"Well, she gave me the 'stay away from my man' look; she's on the make for you."

Tom rolled his eyes.

"How long have you been seeing your girlfriend?"

"Three, four months, I guess."

"Serious?"

Tom thought for a few seconds. "Um, not sure. We have fun. She's a second shift nurse over at St. Joseph's, so we usually only see each other on weekends."

Kelli reached up and kneaded the back of her neck.

"Sore?"

"Yea, comes and goes."

"You do a lot of back exercises. Does that help?"

"Some, but its more the-"

He cocked his head, waiting.

'If he knew what carrying ten pounds of tit on your chest around all day felt like he wouldn't be asking.' "Well, let me just say sometimes I envy flat-chested girls."

He smiled and started to speak.

"Ah -- no comments from you if you know what's good for you."

"Got it!"

'Wonder how many women have fallen for that big, sexy smile?'

Tom changed the subject. "So, what sort of work do you do?"

"I'm the accountant and office manager for Dixon Brothers Construction."

"Oh, yea, your guys just did a big renovation at our corporate office - I'm in IT at First Bank."

She nodded, and went on to say she liked the work, especially since the owners mostly let her do what she felt needed to be done and let her run the office and manage the office staff.

"So, construction -- must be mostly men you work with outside the office crew?" He mentioned the names of a couple guys he worked with on installing network cabling and wi-fi as part of the renovation.

"Oh, I know Billy and Ed." Tom noticed the way she said Ed's name.

"Um, I take it Ed isn't your favorite?"

"Not exactly." 'Time to change the subject.' "So, you're in IT at the bank?"

Tom picked up on her deflection. "Yea, I'm a network engineer -- email, servers, the network, security -- all that plumbing stuff. I like it."

They talked more about his job until Tiffany brought their burgers. She made a point to lean over Tom when she set his plate down, her breasts heaving in his face -- but didn't with Kelli. Tom looked around the cleavage display and caught Kelli smirking.

They burst out laughing when Tiffany sashayed out of earshot.

"I think she was offering you some breast milk for dessert, Tom!" He buried his head in his hands and shook it.

Their diner conversation ranged far and wide to music, food (she loved to cook; he could grill and make soup and popcorn, they both loved butter pecan ice cream and PB&Js.) some sports, politics (thankfully, no big disagreements there!), TV (both big fans of The Office) family, friends, breakfast (she described a celery, carrot, tomato juice and flax seed blended concoction that sounded dreadful to Tom) tattoos (neither had any), pets. They laughed a lot, him teasing her about her ancient Jeep and her teasing him for his preference for music from the last century. An hour later they ended up back at working out.

"So, I don't ever see you doing any cardio. Do you do that on Tuesdays and Thursdays?"

She hesitated. 'Damn, I can either change the subject or talk about my tits. Oh well.' "I have a treadmill at home I use -- It's not the greatest, but it works."

"You don't like the new ones the club installed?"

'Shit.' "They're fine, but where they are there's mirrors on two sides, and I don't like the men leering at certain body parts when I run." Her eyes unconsciously flicked down to her chest, hidden under a bulky sweatshirt.

He blushed. "Oh, I, um, understand."

"I get enough of that at work. Most of the guys are great, and they treat me with respect. But there's some that just have to look me over and couple of the subs are downright creepy. I should have expected that working in construction. I dress as conservatively as I can -- unlike little miss Tiffany."

"On behalf of all men, I'm so sorry you have to put up with that, Kelli. Don't the owners deal with it?"

"No, and I'm not about to ask them for help. I can take care of myself. I figured out that it wasn't a good idea to go out to job sites where I was the only female."

She fixed him with a hard look. "So, tell me the truth -- do men look at a woman at work and if they think she's cute or they like her figure they think about sex?"

12