Gym Buddies Ch. 01

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"You want the absolute truth?"

"Yes."

"Does that go both ways -- if I ask you a direct question you have to tell me the truth?"

She paused. "Ok, yes -- but you should be careful what you ask!"

"Deal. The answer is -- yes, we men do look at women that way. Well, straight men, anyways!"

She chuckled.

"I think we males are genetically programmed to size up women as potential sexual partners, potential child-bearers. Some men never get beyond this and you get the Eds of the world. Most of us mature beyond our programming and learn to treat women as equals. I hope I have. That said, I was brought up to treat a woman as a lady, and women can be equal and different at the same time. And there's a boundary between work and social. Attractive women are one of nature's gifts to the world, but I think a woman can be professional and all business at work but still be a sexy female and a lady after five. Some men learn how to handle this duality, and some -- like Ed, I take it - don't."

Her eyes narrowed and her eyebrow arced up as she processed what he said. "So, you're telling me you're thinking of me as a sex object?"

'Oh, danger here! Total truth...'

"Yes, you are a very attractive woman and I do wonder what you look like under all those layers. But I would still be sitting here with you if you weren't attractive. I enjoy your company."

"And I should believe you?"

"I promised to tell the truth -- and I never break a promise." He paused, thinking. "Now I understand why you behaved the way you did when those two knuckle-draggers hit on you."

"I'm sorry for the way I reacted."

"It's ok. I'm thinking about having a hat made with 'Musclehead' on the front!"

It was her turn to bury her face in her hands. "God, I can't believe I called you that!"

He laughed. "Hey, maybe I could get it on my license tag! Or maybe a tattoo?" She laughed and slugged him in the shoulder.

"You are a shit!"

'She has the prettiest smile. If she weren't married...' He pretended to massage his shoulder. "Ow!" He looked around the room. "Help, somebody, I'm being attacked by my gym buddy!"

She laughed. "Is that what we are - gym buddies?"

"Well, yea, I guess so."

"You know I'm not a guy, right? Don't you have to be a guy to be a buddy?"

He laughed. "Um, yes, I did notice you're not a guy. I think buddy can be gender-neutral nowadays." He raised his glass in toast. "To Gym Buddies."

She laughed and clinked his glass.

'She hasn't mentioned her husband yet...wonder why?' "So, what does your husband do?"

Tom detected just the slightest hesitation before she responded. "Richard took a new job in sales last November, so he's travelling out of state Monday through Friday, pretty much every week. He really likes it -- he was so unhappy in his last job. He's working with a bunch of guys he knows from college."

"Good for him -- so important to have a job you like that pays decent."

"Well, the pay isn't so great for him now, and my job doesn't pay well."

It clicked in his head. "So, that explains why you wear the same two outfits every week to the gym."

She nodded. "Yea, not much in the budget for clothes." 'He's noticed my wardrobe?'

'She's not being paid much -- Hmmm.' Tom made a mental note to ask about a job he knew was open in the bank's accounting department.

Tiffany appeared with their check, smiling at Tom, ignoring Kelli.

"Anything else I can do for you?"

"Thanks, Tiffany, we're good."

Tom could see Kelli making a face behind Tiffany and struggled to stifle a laugh until their waitress was out of earshot. "Well, for a minute I thought she was going to have you right on the table, Tom!"

He stuck his tongue out at her as he pulled out his credit card. She reached for her card. "Oh no, we're going to split this."

"It's ok, I've got it." He pulled the check towards him as she grabbed for it.

She cocked her head and gave him a look.

"Ok, ok, we'll have a contest on who pays - winner decides."

"And who decides what the contest is?"

"That would be the one in possession of the check."

"Ok, what's the contest? How about who knows the answer to how often should you reconcile cash accounts?"

He laughed, and put his elbow on the table, his muscular arm flexing. "Arm wrestling!"

She looked at his bulging muscles. "Um, that doesn't seem to be quite fair, Mr. Gym Buddy!"

"Sure it's fair. We both have an arm, we both work out -- I know what you can curl -- you'll probably hurt me!"

It was her turn to stick her tongue out at him. She put her elbow on the table, grasped his big hand and pushed with all her strength, bending his arm almost to the table. 'Damn, she's strong.' He grinned and slowly, effortlessly pushed her over until her hand touched the table.

"Whew, you almost had me there, girl."

She stuck out her tongue again, and noticed he hadn't released her arm. 'He's so strong...'

Slowly, he released her, prolonging their touch just a couple seconds.

"Well, since I win, I have to pay!"

She giggled. 'He's too funny..'

Ten minutes later they were deep in conversation when her phone rang. "Oh, it's Richard -- I didn't realize it was almost nine o'clock!" She silenced the call. "I gotta go."

They walked out together and she allowed him to open the door.

"Thanks for dinner, Tom -- I enjoyed it."

"Me too! See you next week!"

*****

Before she called her husband back Kelli reflected on her dinner with Tom. 'He's really a nice guy, so easy to talk to, interesting, and funny. Can't believe we talked for two hours -- time just flew by. Definitely want to hang out with him more. Don't really have any guy friends.' She smiled at one last thought as she touched Richard's number. 'Damn, he's so handsome. That smile is a killer. Would definitely go on a date with him! Something about the guy....'

*****

Tom pulled out of the lot right after her. 'That was such a nice evening -- she's delightful, so funny, seems very normal. Didn't even realize we'd been talking for two hours. Too bad she's married -- so's so pretty. Something about her really attracts me.'

12