Half-Halloween

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"There's no need to 'repay' me. I did it because it was the right thing to do. Your kids are great and I enjoyed being with them."

"Good. Uh, then there's the sleeping issue. Uh, where...."

"I slept on the couch. It was, is fine. Big and wide. I slept fine and with your permission I'll stay right there."

"You didn't sleep in my bed?"

"Nope."

"I feel bad about you being on the couch, though."

"No need to. I am fine there for another couple of nights, then I'll go back home and come over early to help out."

"What about your work?"

"I'm good. Actually, I'm a bit ahead of my plans so I can help you out a little longer. No sweat. And I'll be able to do a little from here once they're back in school."

"I'm afraid they'll be behind in school..."

"Nope. I got their assignments and kept them up to date."

"Really? You sound like a mom."

Sharon looked away as raw grief tore through her heart and the inevitable tears puddled in her eyes. She sniffed and tried to put on a smile but Red realized something was wrong.

"Did I say the wrong thing?"

"No. I was just reminded about something, something sad. No, you didn't say anything wrong. Look, I need to run home and get some fresh clothes, check my email and shower. I'll be back in an hour or two. You sit quietly here, watch the tube if you want to and I'll do the dishes when I get back. OK?"

"Yeah. OK. And, uh, Sharon, I hope everything's alright."

"Yeah. It's fine," she lied as she turned and hurried out the door. On the way down the street, she wept openly, sobbing with raw grief which wouldn't go away, even after three years. At home she did some minor chores, tossed a load into the laundry and took a quick shower. With her eyes dried and a fake smile on her face, she returned to help at Red's place. He was still on the couch watching some sports show but it was clear he was falling asleep. She helped him to his bedroom, leaving him to get undressed. She told Bobby and Bree school was resuming the next day and they needed to bathe.

Once the kitchen was cleaned up and all three were asleep, she was able to sit quietly on the couch and stare at the muted TV, watching but not seeing. Her mind was racing from one thing to another. She thought about Red and his situation, about Bree and Bobby and about her being in their home for a few more days. But most of all, she thought about Caleb and Sweetie, the two nearest and dearest ones who were no longer in her life.

-----

Red improved quickly over the next several days. The visiting nurse congratulated him on his recovery and indicated she'd stop coming by after one more visit. He was able to take care of himself, do his wound care and help the kids with their homework. Sharon continued to come by for a few more days to help with meals but even that was no longer needed by the end of a week. On her last day fixing the dinner meal, the kids were surprisingly cranky. She had enjoyed them and thought they were 'peaches' but this behavior was new and unusual. Finally, she confronted them about it.

"What's up, you two? Why are you acting like this?"

"Yeah, kids. Sharon's been super nice and now you're misbehaving."

Big tears rolled down Bree's face as she stared down at her plate. "Do you hafta go?"

"Go? I'll be right down the street. That's my home. I live there and..."

"Why can't you live here?" wailed Bobby.

"Well, uh, your daddy and I are, uh, friends, I guess, and I was glad to help you and him, but I, I'm not, uh, well, I'm not his wife and I live alone over there."

"Why can't you be his wife?" asked Bobby.

"Bobby," interrupted his dad, "When two adults fall in love and get married, then they live together. Sharon is a good, no, even a great friend, but we're not in love. She's got to get back to her life and work."

"Can we come visit?" asked Bree.

"Of course! Sure, you can. You'll need to get permission from your daddy. And no sneaking out to go trick-or-treating without him knowing about it," she laughed.

"We didn't get to go twick-or-tweating much," pouted Bobby.

"Alright. Here's the deal. Next Halloween I'll dress up again and I'll take you trick-or-treating. We'll cover two or even three blocks. Tons of candy. I promise. OK?"

"But that's so far away," said Bree softly.

"I know, but remember, Christmas is less than two months away. Better be good for Santa."

"We'll be good," promised Bree, "Could you come over Christmas morning? Please?"

"I'll have to think about it and talk to your father. Look, I'll get busy on the dishes and you two finish your homework while Red and I talk about a few things. OK?"

"Okaaay," they both responded.

After tidying up in the kitchen, Sharon found Red at his desk working through his email inbox. "Back at work, huh?"

"Yeah. Fortunately, I didn't miss too much. The main project I was working on was finished by my team and the next big one doesn't start until January. Right now, it's more routine work, you know, checking boxes and following up on clients."

"Good. Now, Red, I want you to know I'm right down the street. I've bought a ton of food and you're well stocked for now. I'll take the kids to school until you've been cleared to drive."

"Doc says it'll probably be in a couple of weeks."

"Great. Oh, by the way, they seem to like scrambled eggs and bacon so I didn't get any of their puffed sugar bombs. OK with that?"

"Yeah. Easy to make and definitely less sugar, I guess."

"Please call me if you have any questions and tell the two to be ready at eight thirty."

"Will do. You saying good-bye to them?"

Once she came back into the living room, Red stood there looking bewildered. He turned to her and whispered, "I don't know how I can repay you. 'Thank you' is just too simple and easy and can't convey how much I appreciate all you have done for the kids. For me."

"Red, it was my pleasure. You've got two great kids and I enjoyed them. I mean it when I say they are welcome to come by. If you ever can't find a baby sitter, please consider me. OK?"

"Yeah," he sighed as he took a couple of steps towards her and wrapped her up in his arms. "You are the best damn thing to happen to my kids. Thank you from the bottom of my heart. One of these days we'll invite you over for dinner. I think I owe you a few."

"You don't owe me anything, Red," she said as she broke the hug. "See you around." She smiled at him as she turned away, but once she was down the sidewalk, she realized her temporary family was no more and the smile faded from her face.

-----

Over the next few weeks, she invited the kids over a couple of times. One time she helped both with their assignments and was pleased to hear they were both doing well in school, even with their absences in early November. She read them portions of her new books to judge how well they might be received by the public and was delighted they responded as well as they did. Red dropped by to escort them home one time and seemed to dawdle, talking about a few issues of local importance and how the local football team was doing. Once they left, Sharon realized he seemed to enjoy talking with her. She figured he was lonely, as was she, and a little adult conversation was what he needed the most.

It was rather late one night in mid December when her phone rang showing him on the caller ID.

"Hello?"

"Uh, Hi, Sharon. Red. How are you this evening?"

"Doing well. The kids?"

"Oh, they're great. Finally got them down a few minutes ago. They're getting excited about Christmas."

"I bet. Have any big plans for the holiday?"

"No, not really. My dad is gone, my mom's in a home back in Iowa and, uh, their mother's not in the picture at all. So, it will be just the three of us."

"You can still have a nice Christmas with you three, though."

"Yeah, we can, I guess. Uh, I'm calling to ask if you'd like to spend some time with us during the holidays. I know the kids would love it."

"I, uh, well, maybe, I guess. I did kinda promise Bree I might be there, didn't I?"

"Yeah, you did. Say, could we maybe get together for coffee sometime and kick around some ideas?"

"Sure. What about the kids? Who would be watching them?"

"How about we meet on a school day?"

"Yeah, that'd work. I'm free Wednesday and Thursday morning."

"Great. I'll pick you up Wednesday after I've dropped them off at school. We can hit the local JavaGuava Hut. My treat."

"Sure. Great. Thanks. Glad you're driving again. I'll see you then."

-----

On Wednesday, Red rang her bell right before nine a.m. Although it wasn't a 'date', she had dressed nicely thinking she got out so little it would be fun wearing more than her usual jeans and a blouse. She was wearing a nice pair of slacks, a white and light blue sweater which was on the edge of having a risqué neckline and a pushup bra to accentuate her bust. She knew it was a hit when Red stood there speechless for a few seconds after she opened the door.

"Morning, Red."

"Uh, Morning to you. Ready for coffee?"

"Sure. I've never been to the JavaGuava Hut."

"It's pretty nice. They serve all kinds of coffee drinks and it's a juice bar as well. Nice baked goods, too."

"Then I'm glad I haven't eaten."

On the way they chatted about nothing in particular and once they had their drinks and scones, he turned the topic to Christmas.

"Bree and Bobby would love to have you over on Christmas. Think you'd be willing to come over?"

"Sure, I guess. Uh, maybe not for package opening, but how about afterwards. Maybe after lunch?"

"Why then?"

"I don't want to interfere with any family traditions, you know, opening packages, that kind of thing."

"We don't actually have any 'traditions.' We generally play it by ear."

"I see. Well, I guess I could come over fairly early, but not six or seven. They'll have to wait a bit."

"Maybe if I tell them you'll come over they can relax until you get there."

"Red, I've got a nice idea for them. OK if I give them a few small items?"

He agreed this was a great idea, they ironed out the details of the morning and she promised to be there by eight a.m.

She was surprised to hear from him again the next evening when he called after the kids were in bed.

"Red! What's going on?"

"Well, uh, I thought I'd call to see how you are doing."

"I'm doing fine. I already got their presents. How about I bring over a special egg dish for breakfast after the packages are opened? It's easy to make the night before and I'll pop it in the oven when I arrive."

"Yeah. Sounds great," he paused. "Sharon, uh, would you be interested in maybe getting together some evening with me?"

"Like a date?"

"Yeah. A date."

"Uh, well, uh, OK. Sure. But I need to tell you something, Red. I'm not interested in anything romantic. I've had a bad experience and simply want to lead my quiet life. But getting together will be fine as long as you don't expect anything long term or romantic. OK?"

"Sure. I get it. I would just like to have some adult conversation and you, uh, well, you're right here so..."

"Red, I'll be glad to get together for a casual, no expectations date. Name the time and I'll be ready."

-----

Red found a babysitter for the kids and took Sharon to a nice French restaurant for dinner several days before Christmas. They enjoyed their meal and when they returned to her place, she invited him in. It turned out Red was a very nice man, if a little on the shy side. He did open up about his divorce. Shortly after Bobby was born, his wife came to him with a stunning statement: She admitted she didn't truly like children. She felt a slight bond with the two but confessed she didn't truly love them. Ultimately, she asked for a divorce and agreed to help pay for their expenses but wanted nothing to do with their upbringing. She relinquished all parental rights, as well. The process was devastating to Red. He couldn't believe a woman didn't love her own children but took it on himself to raise them as best he could. Bobby never spent much time with his mother since she was gone within six months of his birth and Bree was barely two and had no strong memories of her mother four years later.

"So, it's been just you since then, huh?"

"Yeah."

"Well, you seem to be doing a great job with them. Good kids, both of them. I like them a lot."

"They really bonded with you while I was sick."

"Yeah, well, maybe any female adult could become a mother figure for them given the circumstances."

"Sharon, you sell yourself too short. I think my kids know a good person when they meet one. What about you? You mentioned being divorced..."

"Red, uh, I'm still suffering from the divorce and, quite frankly, I'm not ready to discuss the situation with anyone but my psychologist."

"Oh. OK. Sorry to have pried."

"No, it's perfectly OK. Maybe someday in the future, huh?"

"Yeah. Hey, look, I had a nice time. Thanks for the nice evening. I'll give you a call around eight on the twenty-fifth. OK?"

-----

Christmas was a casual and comfortable affair. She arrived around eight-thirty with three small packages for each child. After they opened Santa's gifts, Red gave them a few extra things. It was Sharon's turn and she presented them each with three of her books, each signed by her. If they were disappointed at not getting more toys, they hid it well. Bree could read fairly well but after breakfast both children asked her to read a book to them. She settled on her favorite one, an illustrated story calledHector the Hawk's Halloween.

Quickly flipping past the page dedicating the book "In loving memory of Caleb and Sweetie," she began to read using different voices for the various characters. The two youngsters were enthralled. When she finished reading the book, they were all excited, laughing and talking nonstop. After a few minutes, Bobby became more subdued, a fact picked up by Sharon.

"What's up, Kiddo? Didn't you like the story?"

"No, it was good. But our Halloween wasn't good."

"Yes, things were crazy that night but everything came out OK."

"Yeah, but we didn't get to go twick-or-tweating like I wanted to."

"You got some extra candy from me. Remember?"

"Yeah, but we didn't get to go very far."

"Well, I told you to plan on an extra-long trick-or-treating next Halloween. And I'll go with you. OK?"

A less than enthusiastic 'OK' was all the answer she got so she continued, "I get it. Halloween's a long time off. But Easter is a good chance to get some more candy."

"But I wanted to scare people with my ghost costume."

"I'm so sorry, Sweetheart. Look, we'll figure something out before Halloween. I don't know what, but something. I promise."

He seemed a bit happier with a promise of something and both of them hopped down from the couch and began playing with their toys. Red motioned for her to come to the kitchen where they could talk privately.

"Uh, Sharon, I'd like to give you a little present if I could. You know, since you helped us so much last month."

"OK. It so happens I have something for you, too."

They swapped small envelopes. She had given him tickets on the fifty-yard line for the next football game. The home team was hopefully going to get into the playoffs and the last game of the season was against their archrivals and it promised to be a wild one.

"Wow. How did you get these? You spent way too much, you know."

"Red, it so happens I won them through a mail-in charity raffle and I figured you and a companion could enjoy them. So, please. Take them and have fun."

"Thank you. Really, thanks a lot. I have just the person in mind. I'm going to call right now."

He grabbed his phone and hit an icon and a few seconds later her phone rang in her pocket.

"Excuse me, Red. Uh, Hello?"

"Yes, Sharon, this is Red and I'd like to invite you to the last pro game of the season."

She burst into laughter, hung up the phone and told him she'd be delighted to go with him. "Maybe you can explain the holding penalty to me so I can finally understand it."

"I doubt that. Uh, I'll get a sitter for the afternoon. OK?"

"Great. Now, do I get to open mine?"

"Umm-hmm."

In her little envelope were two tickets to the winter season-premier of the local orchestra. Sharon loved classical music and was delighted to get the tickets.

"Maybe I'll call a certain fellow and see if he wants to come with. I can easily hit 'Last Number' to do that," she laughed.

"I'd be glad to come along. It's several weeks away and if you're still talking to me by then, I'll go. Maybe you can teach me something about classical music, huh?"

After a quick lunch, the children went to their rooms to rest while Sharon and Red remained in the living room. They chatted idly for a bit until she got up to leave. At the door he approached her and thanked her again for coming over for Christmas. He seemed nervous until he reached out and gave her a warm hug.

"Thank you again for all your help this year and for the wonderful books for the kids."

She looked up at him and teased, "No thanks for the tickets?"

"Oh, for them, too. But the biggest 'thanks' is for all you've done for my little family. Take care, Sharon. See you around."

He released her from his arms before she turned and left the house.

-----

The game was a blast up until the last minute when the opponents eked out a win with a Hail Mary pass. Although disappointed with the results, the two enjoyed their time together and even stopped at a local burger joint for a quick meal. Although they didn't see each other until the evening of the concert, they talked by phone a few times. He was back to work full time and she was well into yet another children's book.

The concert was wonderful. Red had even rented a tuxedo while she went in a long gown featuring a provocative neckline and a slit up the side to her upper thigh. She was aware he kept staring at her, something which pleased her even though she didn't want to 'get involved.' It always helped her ego to know she was still desirable but she still wasn't ready for any romance.

After the concert, he invited her to a small, intimate club which featured subdued lighting and a solo jazz pianist. They drank a glass of wine, which on top of the champagne she had at intermission put her in a slightly giddy mood. They laughed and joked and generally had a good time together. However, once she saw him gazing at her with desire in his eyes, she knew she'd ultimately have to tell him about her, her life and her tragedy. Otherwise, she would end up hurting him needlessly. These thoughts sobered her a bit and she rather suddenly told him she needed to leave.

"Everything OK, Sharon?"

"Yeah, fine. I'm, uh, I'm tired. Too much wine, I guess."

"OK, let's get you home. I did promise the babysitter I'd be back by eleven, so let's head out."

He escorted her to the door where she turned to him and said, "Red, I'm sorry if I suddenly seemed unhappy."

"No. I didn't get that at all."

"Well, we were having a good time when I remembered something, something very sad. I can't put on a fake smile when it happens."

"Sure. I get it. Look, uh, I don't know what's gone on in your life but I figure it had to be huge. I don't wanna pry or anything but if it helps at all, I hope everything turns out OK."

He reached up and gave her a gentle hug only to find her melting in his arms and sobbing on his shoulder. He held her for several minutes until she stopped crying, pulling back to give him a sad smile.

"Thank you, Red. Means a lot. Good night." She opened the door and let herself in, leaving a bewildered man on the porch.

-----

The next week he called and asked her out for dinner and she willingly accepted. There was a tiny bit of tension between them due to the last time they were together. Fortunately, the meal was nice and they spent an hour afterwards at her place talking about nothing of consequence. Their good-bye hug was brief and warm.