Hampered in His Plans Ch. 06

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"Hmmm..." said Moynahan. "You think something's up with that?"

"It seems a little too convenient around the edges." I said. "It may be paranoia on my part, but maybe a quick check..."

"I'll tell you..." said Moynahan with mock asperity. "You come up with some wild and crazy shit, and then it turns out to be something big. Okay, I'll make some calls..."

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

I had told Cindy to offer to let Ariel and Wanda stay at the Cabin. Laura and I also invited them to have dinner with us at the Mountain Nest, with my mother Phyllis taking the sixth seat at the table. Buddy was a bit skittish of people, but took well to Wanda, who quickly showed herself to be a dog lover. Bowser watched over Carole, of course.

After dinner, as we were talking in the den, Cindy told me quietly that it was a done deal, that Ariel and Wanda loved the gym and the Town, and they were going to buy 24% each of the ownership, and would manage and run the place. That would really help Cindy free up some time.

"So Ariel will handle the women-only side, and Wanda the co-ed side." I said.

"Not much gets by you." Cindy said. Confirming my observations, Cindy told me that Ariel was bisexual, and that she and Ariel had been close on the Tour, including getting to know each other's bodies very intimately. Wanda, by way of contrast, was totally straight and had been married but had left her husband. "No doubt seeing you helped Wanda decide to hang around." my cousin said with a 'knowing' look.

"And they are both stunning women." I said. "Your business is going to grow. Just feature them in a few ads, press releases of them buying in as owners..."

"Way ahead of you on that." Cindy said. "And they're another temptation for your libido, as if your wife, my sister, your ADA, and the Intendent aren't enough to keep you satisfied..."

If I'd had it in my hands, a red crowbar would've been waved in Cindy's general direction.

Part 31 - Crime and Punishment

Wednesday, January 27th: "This is Bettina Wurtzburg, KXTC Channel Two News! The EMT strike is over! While not officially declared ended, the former EMTs have given up the fight, having made absolutely no gains as a result of their illegal actions. Meanwhile, the Assistant Fire Chief has made a complaint to the Inspector General that Commander Donald Troy of the TCPD ignored video evidence that the striking EMTs broke the law by blocking ambulances."

Video, obviously provided by the Fire Department troublemakers, showed the desperate, striking EMTs blocking an ambulance's path. Then KXTC footage taken with a long range lens showed me talking with Wilbur James.

Bettina said "Reached for comment, Commander Troy said that the situation was de-escalated, and that he used discretion in dispersing the EMTs rather than arresting them, as was his prerogative to do. Sheriff Daniel Allgood, also at the scene, said that Commander Troy made the correct call once again, and Fire Chief Quinlin said he considered the matter closed with the dispersal of the strikers, and that arrests were not needed."

"However, many Firefighters celebrated the end of the strike and the demise of the EMS service." Bettina finished as some videos of firefighters celebrating and mocking the EMTs was shown. I was sure that that video footage was well planned and carefully orchestrated...

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

Thursday, January 28th. In the Army they call it "Article 15". In the Navy, they call it "Captain's Mast". They are the military's forms of non-judicial punishment. In the Army, they have 'company grade' Article 15s, usually issued by a company commander; and 'field grade' Article 15s, more serious punishment and administered by a field-grade officer, such as a battalion commander.

Every month or so, near the end of the month and if needed, the Town & County Police Department has similar punishments. Most are handled by division Lieutenants, sometimes the Captain of Uniformed Personnel (at this time covered by Lt. Masters), and then up to Precinct Captains or a division Captain. However, I as Commander decide who administers what, and I sometimes take certain cases myself. I had three such cases today.

Captain Ross was sitting on the sofa in my office and watching that afternoon as the offending Police Officers were brought in by Lt. Masters. The first was Patrol Officer Jeremy Hatch. I was taking this to add weight to a host of problems from this inept officer. Why he was still here was a bit beyond me.

"Officer Hatch." I said as he stood at attention before my desk. "You were to bring three issued warrants back to Headquarters. However, you went to lunch first, and then brought the warrants, rather than the other way around. While the warrants were issued, my Vice Squad didn't know that, and nearly missed a bust. In addition, this is not the first time you've been disciplined for these types of bad decisions. One more strike, Mr. Hatch, and you are out. A reprimand will appear upon your record. Dismissed." Hatch left. Sergeant Toole of Second Precinct was brought in.

"Sergeant Toole," I said to the older Police Officer. "We first have a case of you taking sides in a dispute in Second Precinct, where a black family and a white man had a car collision. Although plenty of evidence shows the white man failed to yield the right-of-way, you issued a citation to the black driver as being at fault. That will be resolved in Court, but I agree with the official complaint of racial bias, which is entered into your record.

"In addition, Sergeant Toole: later that same night, you became intoxicated at a bar and engaged in a physical altercation with other bar patrons. Fortunately others separated the sides, but your actions reflect badly upon the Police Force. I am demoting you to Corporal, but am suspending that demotion for one year. If you stay clean for that year, the demotion will be expunged, but if I have any more problems with you, any at all, the demotion will be applied. Furthermore, a reprimand will appear upon your record. Dismissed."

After Sergeant Toole and Lt. Masters left, I looked at Cindy. "Go get her." I said. Cindy left, and I put on my Duty Dress jacket, making myself look about as formal as I could.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

"It's time." Cindy said as she entered Lt. Croyle's office. Teresa nodded and stood up. She was in her Duty Dress uniform, as was Cindy.

"I have no idea what he's going to say or do." Cindy said. "So just take the asschewing and we'll drive on."

"Yes ma'am." Teresa said formally. They left the office, Cindy leading the way, both of them feeling eyes looking at them from the Vice and MCD rooms. They knew the seriousness of what was coming...

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

Teresa came in and stood before my desk, at attention, looking dead ahead. I opened the file in front of me. Cindy stood behind her, off to one side, as Lt. Masters had stood relative to his officers when they'd come in.

"Lieutenant Croyle." I said. "Your longstanding instructions were to avoid conflict during the Christmas season, particularly on Christmas Eve. However, you instead acted to investigate a situation at the Saskia Warehouse, which led to a larger conflict between other Officers."

I looked up at her; she just stood there, taking it, making no attempt to defend herself nor her actions. Good, I thought to myself... it's time...

I said "Lt. Croyle... because of your actions, this Police Force... is rid of one very bad, dirty officer, that being Bryce. In addition, you discovered a runaway orphan and her dog, and brought them to my home. Because of these actions, we were able to get the girl medical attention, and the dog cared for.

"Because of your actions, Lieutenant, that girl was given a chance to live she otherwise would not have had. Furthermore, your actions during the arrest of Steven Moschel were exemplary, and reflected great credit upon yourself, your leadership, and the Town & County Police Force. And in his arrest, we may have a chance to clean out some of the filthiest corruption ever seen anywhere."

I looked up and said "Nevertheless, you did take actions contrary to the spirit of my instructions. I am sure you understand that, no matter the result, the need to take action in this matter, Lieutenant?"

"Yes sir." Teresa said, still looking ahead... perhaps seeing something far beyond this room.

"Good." I said. "You have left me with no choice, Lieutenant... a commendation will appear upon your record." Teresa had not flinched, but Cindy's face broke into obvious relief.

"Have your uniform looking a hell of a lot better than it looks right now," I said, "as you will be in front of the entire Police Force next Monday, receiving at least one medal. Dismissed."

Teresa turned to leave. I nodded to Cindy to follow, but as Teresa got to the door I called out "Teresa..." She stopped and turned around as I stood up.

I looked at her as I said "I was told that bringing you back here was a mistake. I was told that you would never make it, that you would pop off again and do something wrong. My judgement was questioned. So... I am grateful that you have vindicated my faith in you. Please continue to vindicate me. You can go. Captain, you also." The women left my office.

Back in Teresa's office, Cindy was ecstatic. "Did you hear that? That was absolution! Congratulations!" She hugged her friend.

"I..." Teresa started as Cindy hugged her, then said "Between us... I wanted to kill that bastard. I really did. The only thing that stopped me... was hearing Amy's voice asking me to forgive him. I... can't forgive him, I won't... but it stopped me from killing him. For Amy's sake."

"You did much better than that." Cindy said, hugging Teresa again. "Come on, I'll buy you dinner. It's either that or another lonely night in my condo, and I want you to meet my new gym partners. And don't forget that Sunday night we have the Orange Order dinner..."

Part 32 - Dishonor and Honor

"Jimmy Lawson is being bound over for trial." said Paulina to me. "His lawyer filed a motion that his bail is unreasonably high, and he demands a speedy trial. Judge Nance seemed almost overeager when he granted the motion and set Lawson's trial for late February or early March."

"I really will laugh if you go into labor during the trial." I said.

"Krasney's already considered that." Paulina said. "He's going to have someone else handle it. He said he will be contacting you about that, as well." I nodded, trying to keep my face passive, and hide my elation from the lovely black ADA...

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

"Are you all right?" the lovely Sinon asked. She had never seen him this dark, this moody.

"Would you care for a drink, my lovely Sinon?" he asked, already a bit inebriated himself. "I'm having gin tonight."

"No thank you, I'm driving." she said. "You only drink gin when you're upset. What's happened?"

"That God-damned piece of dog shit, the Iron Crowbar, is what's happened." he spat. "Jack Muscone and the FBI have raided Vauxhall, they are all over City & Counties Bank like a wet blanket, and over one-third of my financial operations have been destroyed."

"But you still have plenty of money in other places." the lovely Sinon said helpfully.

"It's not about the money." he said. "They are beginning to be able to trace things back to me. I was on the verge of making the jump to new, more secure operations, but I can't now. The Iron Crowbar has truly hampered me in my plans. He has trapped me in the proverbial corner, and the only way out now is to fight my way out. I cannot slip out with the shadows of the Night."

"What can I do to help?" she asked.

"I was hoping you would ask that, my lovely Sinon." he said. "I have something for you to do, and it is only the beginning. It is time now to begin using you for the purpose for which I've recruited you, trained you, groomed you."

She smiled, glad that at last! her time to strike had come...

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

Monday, February 1st. It was cold, but clear and beautiful. It was going to be a busy day, too.

"This is Bettina Wurtzburg, KXTC Channel Two News!" shouted Bettina from in front of the Federal Building on the north side of Courthouse Square at 7:00am. "Channel Two News has learned that the FBI has made several significant raids based upon the information provided by Steven Moschel, who plead guilty to multiple counts of theft of donated organs, theft of drugs from hospitals, money laundering, and aggravated assault, which stems from stealing the organ meant for Amy Croyle and the fatal harm that caused her."

"The FBI raids are large, and could lead to some of the most important white-collar busts since the death of Henry R. Wargrave and the dismantling of his criminal empire." Bettina continued. "Several companies, including Vauxhall Enterprises, Castor & Pollux Enterprises, and John Clay Financial Services have been raided. City & Counties Banks, based in the City, is now under investigation by State and Federal authorities."

Bettina continued: "And in a surprising development, University Hospital Administrator Louise Alcott was placed on administrative leave without pay, as both the TCPD and FBI have opened investigations of her involvement in the organ theft rings. In addition, a Nursing supervisor was also placed on unpaid leave, but no details of that case have been released."

"Laura is going to be ecstatic about that." Cindy said. We were watching in my office rather than MCD, as we'd been talking about what was going to happen at the upcoming ceremonies.

"And she's not alone." I replied. "The Hospital was close to losing some good people. With Alcott gone, Wellman has one less headache, and everyone is happier."

"I can think of another organization that is happier with a person being gone." said Cindy. "The Admin people are ecstatic that Brownlee is not going to be back."

Bettina then said into the televisions of the region: "And the District Attorney's race is heating up in these cold months, with incumbent D.A. Gil Krasney and A.D.A. Jenna Stiles trading barbs about each other's records. With the EMT strike and the guilty pleas of several Firemen in connection to the incident involving the rape of an EMT, the political atmosphere has settled down, and D.A. Krasney's lead is up to eleven points."

"How are things with Jenna?" I asked.

"I told her that with my new gym partners coming in, I would have some time to help her with her campaign." Cindy said. "I thought that she would be happy about that, and she said she'd be glad to have me working with her..."

"But the vibe is not there?"

"I was going to say that I did not have to be the Iron Crowbar to see that she was more skeptical than welcoming..."

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

The ceremonies would be in the backyard of Police Headquarters, our 'parade field'. There were bleachers there, and access from the gym as well as around the side of the building. They were scheduled to begin at 9:00am, and there were a lot of officers from 2nd and 3d shifts milling about.

"We had a bit of an issue." said Captain Della Harlow, the Administrative Captain. "The Fire Department hasn't had a Medal of Valor recipient in nearly 30 years, so they were wearing the red rectangle with the silver metal border for the Fire Cross on their duty uniforms. We haven't had a Police Cross recipient in 30 years, but three MOVs. The Council and the Sheriff had to tell the Fire Department to get with the program, so I had to order these for them.."

She showed me the white rectangles, bordered by silver metal, to denote the Fire Cross and Police Cross. They were actually not-quite-bright-white, but a mere hint of silverish-gray white. I nodded.

"Nice." I said. "And yes, your Police Commander and Chief Emeritus won that argument with the Fire Department, and the Council took our side." I said. "But it's not a big change for the Fire Department, and the white looks good between red and blue."

Blue was for the Distinguished Service Award. Chief Griswold had one from the Police and one from County-level, so his blue ribbon was bordered in gold. Sergeant Briscoe, who'd worked with Cindy in the Disappearing Couple case, had one, and he was nearing retirement.

"And here's the biggie." said Della, showing me the Medal of Valor in its box. Even though one that looked exactly like it was around my neck at the moment, I never got used to the sight: it was still impressive to see in the box. Della continued: "They asked me to order it; I've had practice the last few years."

"Too much practice." I said. "It looks good. Okay, that's at one o'clock in Courthouse Square. Let's go give some medals away now."

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

And there were a number of medals to give out. A lot of Officers got Achievement Medals for a number of things; even I got one for solving the BigPharmaCorp case.

Detective Martin Nash was awarded a full Commendation Medal, partly for the Stevens case, and partly for overall service as I thought of the future. Sergeant Rudistan also got a Commendation Medal, as he'd been doing a great many things... and keeping his mouth shut about some of them. And, as I'd promised, Lt. Teresa Croyle received a Commendation Medal, ostensibly for busting Viscotti Cabs, but more for her overall work in Vice.

The SWAT Team got Public Safety Commendation Medals for the raid that saved Jenna Stiles. Those were just a bit higher on the ladder than Police or Fire or Deputy Sheriff Commendation medals. I'd've awarded them higher medals, but there was a quandary: their armed raids are their jobs, and the Council was not going to award them higher medals every single time they went into a raid that had a firefight. But the Stiles raid was special, even by their standards, so the Sheriff solved the problem by putting them in for the overall Public-Safety-level (a.k.a. the 'County-level') award.

And then came the piece d'resistance of the Police Force's medals day. I read the proclamation as Captain Ross pinned a Police Star of Gallantry on Lt. Croyle's uniform. Teresa's actions had not been 'normal', and the entire SWAT Team had written the Council to ask them to award it to her for leading the raid, as well as leading the Beanstalk Gang raid. I had tried to get Teresa a Police Medal, but the Council did what it does, ratchets it down a notch. Even so, the Star was considered to be our equivalent of a military Bronze Star; it was a very big deal for Teresa to be awarded it.

Then came promotions. Because of attrition and Council edicts, there were few. But one big one... one mighty big one. I again read the proclamation, this time promoting Della Harlow to Deputy Chief.

Chief Moynahan and her husband pinned Commander Harlow's oak leaf clusters on her shoulders as the Personnel, Properties, and Public Relations people cheered loudly. They knew what this meant, as did we all: Robert Brownlee, bless his transplanted heart, would not be returning to the Town & County Police Force.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

There was a parade through Town, composed of several Fire trucks and engines, with the honoree, Engineer Roy Easley, riding on top of one of them. The bands of the three high schools, Town High, County High, and Booker T. Washington High, also marched in the parade. At the end of it, on the Courthouse Square grounds, the B.T.W. High Band broke into some seriously good coordinated moves, reminiscent of Florida A&M and the 'battle of the bands', and even the graduation ceremony in the movies 'Stripes'.