All Comments on 'Hanging by a Thread: Dan's Story'

by MattblackUK

Sort by:
  • 57 Comments
PowersworderPowersworderover 3 years ago

It was alright, but needed a much better ending for Dan.

His wife died young from cancer, then his parents died in a car crash, then he was duped into marrying a bigamist industrial spy for 6 years. Amy cheated on him, lied to him every day of their relationship, effectively stole $3m and nearly destroyed his business.

After being relentlessly shit on by life, he needed a happy ending in the epilogue... because I can see that guy just killing himself after all that trauma.

stev2244stev2244over 3 years ago

Interesting business crime story, well done.

AnonymousAnonymousover 3 years ago
Amy is screwed up

How does a wife and mother agree to marry another man and live most of the time away from them with husband #2 for what she felt was a few grand and not the actual millions? And it was for some unspecified time frame as well.

groesbeek63groesbeek63over 3 years ago
why is this in LW stories

This story should be on another website, but not Literotica.

BaggyUKBaggyUKover 3 years ago
Looking good today

Nice stream of stories lined up for us readers. Good old fashioned adventure with this one, would have liked to see him have the fairy tale ending but this is Matt's story and he is always more realistic and true to life about these things. Thank you.

lujon2019lujon2019over 3 years ago

So she was charging 150K a year for her services @6 years = almost a million dollars

.

and she thought she was only stealing a few thousand? A few is defined as 3 to 5, but let us assume 6K

.

She really thought she was being paid 150 grand a year to steal ONE grand a year

lee5456lee5456over 3 years ago
Damn fine story

Just let me know when this comes out in paperback

ribnitinribnitinover 3 years ago

I usually enjoy your stuff. Not this story.

Boyd PercyBoyd Percyover 3 years ago

Great little story! Nice plot.

5

AnonymousAnonymousover 3 years ago
Interesting

I always laugh when one of these characters feels his "cock twitch."

WargamerWargamerover 3 years ago

Avery good story, I enjoyed it.

Scores 5/5

HarddaysknightHarddaysknightover 3 years ago

Nice story. Thanks for the imagination and for all the work for us readers!

SunOceanSandSunOceanSandover 3 years ago

Matt this is a damn fine story!

As usual there are some positive comments, and some negative. Drop the negative ones like the POS they are!

Looking forward to reading more of your work.

5*s

SOS

chytownchytownover 3 years ago
Thanks For Sharing***

Good easy going read kind of read like a 1940's spy movie.

AnonymousAnonymousover 3 years ago
Aw Amy got off easy

The wife(?) Amy got off easy from his supposed husband. But she done to Dan was totally nuclear destruction on not only Dan but also his business and the lives of employees of Dan's company. In other stories, a wife who had emotional affairs got burned much more with doing so much less than Amy. Dan is a good and forgiving person but I am glad he wasn't a spineless wimp. Still to be so cordial with Amy during his prison visit to her was epic goodness.

Love the story. Thanks to the author for writing and share this story. Loved most of MattblackUK's stories gave the ones I read 3 to 4 stars.

blackrandl1958blackrandl1958over 3 years ago

Another good story from my sibling. Thanks for writing, Matthew.

fishgetterfishgetterover 3 years ago

"Any change that mom and you can get past this," James asked?

Demosthenes384bcDemosthenes384bcover 3 years ago

Good story - a little too "compact" for me, but an interesting plot with some twists. 4*

26thNC26thNCover 3 years ago
Good one

I enjoyed your story and it's twisted plot. I didn't see the industrial spying coming, and I found it a very novel story for LW. Amy was a busy girl, keeping two lives, and three men going. Sure he'll marry you again honey, who wouldn't want a convicted felon, who nearly ruined his company.

puddlejumper2puddlejumper2over 3 years ago
Nice!

Good read. I really liked this.. It was well paced and had a nice twist to the plot. If I could make one criticism it would be that I would have liked it if you had taken the time to flesh out your main characters a bit more.

SequoiaSempervirensSequoiaSempervirensover 3 years ago
5* — A great read!

I liked the twist about industrial spying. And I liked the ending on a note of hope. Well done!

SomeOneTwoThreeSomeOneTwoThreeover 3 years ago

I liked it.

It had a few scratches though.

The biggest being how he could've

been fooled so much for so long.

But I don't care,

This story had one fine plot

and good writing too.

Top ratings from me.

AnonymousAnonymousover 3 years ago
Well played

A littler longer with some more detail would have been fun, but this was a good read.

lukeshortlukeshortover 3 years ago
2nd Read

For some reason, I rated this 3* on my first read. The system won't let me change that rating. This is much closer to a 5* than a 3*. Apologies. I think it is a really good, unique story.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 3 years ago
WHY THE HELL...................................................................

Would he want to go see her in prison? How many people go visit strangers in prison? That's what she was, he never had any idea who she was. The person he married had really never existed so the moment he found out about the deception, that person died.

.

WhoGivesAShitWhoGivesAShitabout 3 years ago

Good story, but it felt too short. There isn’t any emotion from Dan or Alison, and barely any from Amy. I’m not sure how it could be longer, in this case more detail would distract from the main storyline. I guess that makes it excellent flash.

dunmovynivdunmovynivabout 3 years ago

This is not an original story. I have read it somewhere before. I do not know if Matt is the true author or nor

MattblackUKMattblackUKabout 3 years agoAuthor

I can confirm that I am the author of Dan's Story in the Hanging by a Thread event.

Has a similar plot been used by a different author? I wouldn't be surprised.

dgfergiedgfergiealmost 3 years ago

Good story and written well. There are only so many plots along these story lines so don't worry about it being close to others. I agree with another comment about extending the length a bit, You get 5 in my book

ZalanaZalanaalmost 3 years ago

Except the antidepressants really didn't work, they are just chemical junk. What docs give you to get you out of the surgery. Still he got therapy and that probably did work. A good plot mate...you could have spun it out a bit by developing the sub plots and peripheral characters. The FMC's fantasy is a bit unnecessary and tends to be a bit morkish . A solid four stars

dark2donut2dark2donut2almost 3 years ago

Witness protection program because one guy has threatened her?

You started quite ambitious plot idea but then you messed it up. Usually people here stretch meager plots to oblivion, you did the opposite - you had a big plot idea and then you fast forwarded all of that to nothing but a page and a half. And who is "Marta" Hari? You are that lazy that you could not even find proper spelling of her name?

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 3 years ago

Marta Hari...i guess she is the American equivalent of Mata Hari?

MattblackUKMattblackUKover 2 years agoAuthor

I'd like to thank my readers who spotted the error when I inadvertently called the Dutch exotic dancer Mata Hari Marta Hari. This was due to ineptitude on my part. Please collect your refund from the Literotica box office.

Incidentally her full (married) name was Margaretha Geertruida MacLeod, because she had married a Dutch officer with the somewhat less-than-Dutch name MacLeod. His family originated in the Isle of Skye, hence his clan name. Her original surname was Zelle and she did not have any non-Dutch ancestry as far as is known.

AnonymousAnonymousover 2 years ago

Zalana

My first antidepressants did nothing positive for me. I did, however discover why they tell you not to go off of them cold turkey. (my choice, but I was not a well person)

I got prescribed a different class of pill (trial and error). Five weeks later, before a group meeting, they kicked in. When I spoke, everyone sat and stared me. Apparently my personality had completely changed from the day before. This was a real improvement, but certainly not a cure. I don't think that very many people ever find a complete "cure".

I think that the drugs can help, but there are no guarantees.

Just_WordsJust_Wordsover 2 years ago

Amusing story outside the norm for this site. I liked that! Thank you. As for comments, remember that comments from readers who have never submitted their own story are not worth worrying over too much. Everyone is an expert at something they have not tried.

AnonymousAnonymousover 2 years ago

I'm sorry the system won't let me log in but to the point, yes she screwed over him in the beginIng BUTdid fall for him in the end, there is room for another chapter where Dan fosters Amys son until she gets out and they start a new family.

Ohmyyes

NVDiceGuyNVDiceGuyover 2 years ago

Great plot. Very original ideas.

But honestly the MC seemed to not be all that emotionally invested.

Fun read

Diecast1Diecast1over 2 years ago

Good story. Should be continued! AAAA+++

26thNC26thNCover 2 years ago

Great again. DarkDonuts, you belong in the Witless Protection Program for some of your observations.

RimmerdalRimmerdalalmost 2 years ago

Could be great if it were expanded.

AnonymousAnonymousover 1 year ago

Skullduggery. On a commercial scale.

LickideesplitLickideesplitover 1 year ago

The chronology in this tale is somewhat hard to trace. It is often not critical, but sometimes it takes on more heft! Sweetie Amy (the one still alive) is approximately 30 y.o. as of 2020. Her son is 14. So she got knocked up around 15. Since there were only a few references re: time (dates or years worked, etc.) and those did not all connect with others. However, as I read this, I got hit with a boy delivered by Sweetie who was living with Hubby2 3 weeks every month. How unconscious does a guy have to be to miss THAT. Turns out she apparently married the father a long time before, but that then means that her change of name scam was as a mother, perhaps of an elementary school son? And then her FBI period? That timeline seems to be best explained as pressure to getting a story out fast. Fewer details about time, allowing her to be in her 30s-40s would have better kept the plausibility.

AnonymousAnonymousover 1 year ago

Excellent story!

vickitvohiovickitvohioover 1 year ago

5*. A nice outside the box story.

AA82ndAAAA82ndAAover 1 year ago

Nice read. Clear, concise writing. The revelation of the spying was a bit too concise, however I think it still worked well.

lujon2019lujon2019over 1 year ago

So she lived with him for

six years = 72 months = 312 weeks = 2191 days = 52,584 hours

for a few thousand dollars?

a few is defined as three to five, so lets say $6000

thats $0.11 an hour

LickideesplitLickideesplitover 1 year ago

Addendum

Besides my prior grinch about chronology, I would like to ask if Sweet Amy’s bigamy qualifies an Industrial Crime account as a Loving Wife story. Her bigamy was a kinda necessary part of the plot, but it was certainly not a major focus thereof!

AnonymousAnonymousabout 1 year ago

Three stars. Too much like a documentary without fleshing out the characters and the tale. JPB

AnonymousAnonymousabout 1 year ago

I thought the story was quite good. I appreciate about this author that he doesn't go on and on about where people grew up and went to college, how they thought things over at lunch while eating ____ (fill in some tediously specified bunch of food), what color hair their therapist had, and so on. He keeps things in pretty much as they are basic to the story. Some of the authors who supply all the "extra" information do a good job of it, but I am getting tired of stories go on and on about these things just to go on and on, apparently.

AnonymousAnonymous10 months ago

Average

As written coincidentally found out

Actress in nursing home.?!!

oldtwitoldtwit7 months ago

That was a good one, you made it work as a story, real life, no, but it was put together well

AnonymousAnonymous6 months ago

One previous commenter expresses appreciation that the author doesn't go on and on about needless details like most of the stories on this site. Another says he wants more "character" and description - that is, the stuff the first commenter thinks is irrelevant and boring. I'm with the first commenter. There's way too much padding in a lot of these stories, even in the basically good ones. Hats off to Mr. Black!

AnonymousAnonymous6 months ago

Needs much more.

SatyrDickSatyrDick4 months ago

[20.01.24]

Good Stuph!

11/10!!!!!

RePhilRePhil3 months ago

Why do the males always lose and the females always get mitigating circumstances? I think the editors at LW are all women. It honestly does get very tiresome and wholly predictable. Great writing always a super fan of your writing. And we all see your positive influence and standing within the top tier of writers in our beloved shark tank we lovingly call LW

Anonymous
Our Comments Policy is available in the Lit FAQ
Post as:
Anonymous
userMattblackUK@MattblackUK
Writer for over 30 years. Hack journalist, decided to try writing for Literotica, too. And still having fun here 10+ years later