All Comments on 'Happy New Year'

by Rob Conner

Sort by:
  • 59 Comments
LadyCibelleLadyCibellealmost 20 years ago
Good, VERY good story!!!

I just found your story, I read it once, I re-read it a second time just to make sure I was reading well and I wanted to let you know how much I enjoyed it. Your story is well written and your characters are believable. Something I can't say for all the story I read here!! I don't know what all the fuss is about your grammar and ponctuation but let me assure you that I DON'T see a problem in your story. Yes there are a couple things, some misspelled words but nothing, absolutely nothing, to deserve you the kind of &?%* that you received so far. I've been editing stories here for close to a year now and I can say that even with stories that went through an editor there are still bits and parts of the story that could be made better, be it better written, better style, better grammar etc...

So please, don't let anyone bully you into believing that your story isn't worth reading or that it needs a totale rewriting to be enjoyable as it isn't true.

Keep writing stories that are so good because they talk about real life.

ryu77ryu77almost 20 years ago
Rob Conner is BAAAACCCCKKKKK!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sorry for my childish remark, but I'm excited for Rob Conner for submitting another story.

And let me tell you something, the story was so good & powerfull I didn't give a damn if it had gramatical errors.

This may have some elements that can relate to RL. People that have driven away their focus on their marriage and spent it on other things, tend to do unappropiate actions that they will regret later.

It all falls down to the fact that COMUNICATION is a key factor for a healthy marriage. If they had shared their fealings, none of this would have happened, and many affairs could have been avoided.

Adding to the comment left by the author, I too suffered from depression. It sucks. I can relate to people who just don't give a damn about the world and just rest and do nothing about it. Thank God I found a person who helped me through my problems and made me feel good about myself. I hope people that feel this way search for help also.

Regards,

Rafael.

sherlock40sherlock40almost 20 years ago
Excellent story

This is a fine story and I must agree with the other posters and thank you for returning to the keyboard. I hope to see more stories from you.

I would also like to second your comments at the end of the story. If you know anyone that exhibits the signs of depression, urge them to go to the doctor and get checked out.

patricia51patricia51almost 20 years ago
Wonderful

What can I say? A moving and thoughtful view of how someone can almost let the superficial elements of life ruin the most important ones. Who cares if this isn't your usual story? Who says you have to always write the same kind? I've enjoyed your other stories, some of them are the best here, but this one! WOW. Thank you Rob.

Patti

PS. However... what's with the reference to Grant Avenue Technical High School? *Grinning*

the Troubadorthe Troubadoralmost 20 years ago
Glad you're back

Happy to see you are posting again. Will be looking forward to endings to some of the excellent things you still have out there hanging.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 20 years ago
Welcome Back!

Best story yet!!

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 20 years ago
From the heart:

This has to be one of the most moving and inciteful stories I have read in years. The characters are so real you can almost touch them. I especially liked the fact that neither of them is evil or malicious, except when driven by ignorance. That is the wife, the husband well bless him medical help and support are on the way.I guess what I am trying to say is it is about time for some win win situations in these stories.Thank you, thank you; thank you.

KatLadyKatLadyalmost 20 years ago
Nice . . .

Very touching.

The Erotic AvengerThe Erotic Avengeralmost 20 years ago
Thank You

Thank you for writing again. Thank you for you realistic portrayals. I know, when I read your stories, I won't be polluting my psyche with some willing cuckold bullshit like so many of the authors in this forum favor. Keep up the great work.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 20 years ago
Is this really you?

OK, so I'm a sucker for these stories, "Elaine" is one of my most favorite tales. Even so, this was a refreshing story. Sometimes the motivations of the characters speaks volumes about what is really important. Thank you.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 20 years ago
Conner-athon

Just read the fifth of your stories. "Happpy New Year". I liked it the best of the ones I have read. Short and sweet and a happy ending.

AnonymousAnonymousover 19 years ago
Know where you'r comming from!

I know where you'r comming from, cause both my wife, and step-son are bipolal. I know just how hard it can be to give the support that they need. I am new to Literotica, but I have enjoyed your stories very much. If you wish, keep writing good stories.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 19 years ago
I enjoy your work

This is not your normal work but just as good. Please keep the writing up.

AnonymousAnonymousover 17 years ago
Talented and versatile

Congratulations. I have been reading Rob Connor stories for the last day or two and they are ,in my oinion, all very well done. This one is not your normal story , but is just indicative of your verstility. Nicewriting. 60 year old George

Nightowl22Nightowl22over 17 years ago
Very good story.

I don't really know much about acute depression but I do understand it can be totally devastating. I think the biggest change between the two was actually her thinking rather than Jason's health.

Good ending; good story!!

AnonymousAnonymousover 17 years ago
nice

it was a nice story .

AnonymousAnonymousabout 17 years ago
There is a lesson for all of us in this story.

Sometimes things are not as they seem. There are many illnesses that can affect a persons behavior.

Nice job, Rob!

Regards, Jack

AnonymousAnonymousover 14 years ago
depression and alcohol

Good message, good story. Depression and alcohol don't mix. Alcohol IS a depressant. I have both alcoholism and clinical depression. 46 years w/o a drink or drug and still have to take anti-depressants. Thanks for the story.

AnonymousAnonymousover 14 years ago
right on target

the guy who talked about acoholism and depression being two sides of the same illness.I am sitting here new years eave about 7 o'clock considering the past few months and years of my life. I was married for 33 years the last 15 of those years there was no romance/touching or anything. She even told me to quit sending her flowers. On 1 July 2009 My wife died of massive cancer and septic shock long story in its selfI was out in the desert a long ways away out of communications range and finally on my way back my family got in touch with me and told my wife was dieing. As a matter of fact she had actually died but they had her on total life support so I could get there to say good by. Her last words were I love you in her heavily drugged state.

because of my depression and wanting someone to want me I had/hae been haunting the internet looking for someone. Thought I had found someone and after talking for over a year and after my wife died we were going to meet. Then she has dropped off the face of the earth. I am 60 years old have enough emotional baggage to fill a freight train and not one individual to talk to . I just dont care any more. Know my typing spelling not good but so what

AnonymousAnonymousabout 14 years ago
Only one word can describe this story

SWEET. Thank you

AnonymousAnonymousover 13 years ago
PLEASE, PLEASE get a good editor or have someone proofread your work!

Your story lines are quite good but your grammar, spelling and punctuation really minimizes your literary efforts. Check your work before you submit it and have someone proofread and edit it for you. Sloppy composition detracts from the quality of your stories.

AnonymousAnonymousover 13 years ago
When I read the anonymous comment,

There was only one thought I had--- Asshole !!!!!!!!!!!!

AnonymousAnonymousover 13 years ago

It could use some polishing, but I liked this story. Nice job!

TavadelphinTavadelphinabout 13 years ago
Thanks dude,

That is one of the stories that you like to read to the end - people can miss all the clues and can become focus stupid both of them did it was a nice device you used to pull them out - too many never get the second chance.

RePhilRePhilalmost 13 years ago
Thanks for the emotions!

Obviously straight from the heart

RonRWoodRonRWoodover 12 years ago
Heartwarming

I am sorry that no one responded to the commenter that lost his wife to cancer and septic shock after 33 years. He sounds like he too is ready for suicide.

IrfonIrfonover 12 years ago
Congratulations !

Warms the cockles of my heart.

Thank you very much.

oldoelGDoldoelGDover 12 years ago
GOOD Read

I liked this one enough to try some of your others, and I'm picky!

Way to go, Rob.

AnonymousAnonymousover 12 years ago

Very good story. Doesn't need sex to make it good.

AnonymousAnonymousover 12 years ago
bBS

he should have offed himself cause she is going to cheat on him later.. what pussy

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 12 years ago
Needs work

I don't find the dialog believable he's far too logical for someone in a bout of depression. He is also too in touch with his emotions when he should just be tired.

TavadelphinTavadelphinalmost 11 years ago
It works for me -

Depression does not make you stupid - you can do stupid things there is a difference -

He had an engineering mind set - as indicated in the story so he built straight line logic arguments for himself - some what skewed but seemingly reasonable -

She cut through it and got him to hold off long enough to get help - they both needed it Granny got her started lol

Nit bad at all -

phd70phd70almost 11 years ago
Good Lessons and Nice Story!

As mentioned in other comments, the story was valuable as a lesson, but probably needed a good editor to smooth the dialogue, improve punctuation, etc. But I enjoyed the story.

Depression is a real epidemic in modern life, work stress and social expectations make it a real killer of satisfaction in life. Husband was a 'good' man, a loving husband, and a supporter of his wife'.s career aspirations. His wife did not provide the companionship, emotional, romantic and mental support that he needed, especially since he was dealing with depression.

The wife did come to a realization of the errors in her thinking a little too rapidly to seem realistic, but realism is not the only or primary test of a good short fictional story. Look forward to more of your work. Dan

BfreetorunBfreetorunover 10 years ago
Better than several of your stories I have read.

I am reading down your page although I will skip the very long stories. I do believe that reconciliation is possible although those who crap on their spouses repeatedly need killing, not being taken back. I am mostly a BTB type. Thank you for writing this story.

AnonymousAnonymousover 10 years ago
Very Close To Home

This could have been my life very recently. To paraphrase a well known saying, "been there, almost did that". Marriage is tough but anything worthwhile requires effort. Sometimes meds are needed to make things seem manageable. Thanks again for a story that hit all the right buttons. As far as grammar is concerned, I teach and reading around the mistakes and understanding the idea is second nature. Keep up the great work.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 10 years ago
Depression

Depression, ADHD, and all those other psycho babble bullshit illnesses, are just that Bullshit. Life's a bitch, pull your head out of your ass, and get over it.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 10 years ago
Depression

To the last commentator, if you do not understand the " bullshit " then you are a lucky individual, and I hope that you never do experience the depths of despair that all who sit on the edge of the pit of darkness struggle with.

I used to think just like you !

Tw0Cr0wsTw0Cr0wsalmost 10 years ago
the hard part

It is hard to believe someone as selfish and self-centered as Libby would so quickly change into a caring wife.

Jace ruined his health working to support her and all she could think of was how to get rid of him.

Wonder how much alimony (or whatever they call it now) she would have ended up paying, since he became disabled from putting her through law school.

BfreetorunBfreetorunabout 9 years ago
Rob, as a Psych nurse (and as a human being) I appreciated this story.

Sometimes we have to put off our addiction (?) to reading porn and realize that there are many things more important. Thank you for writing.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 9 years ago
Good Stuff

Well told, too

HP

computermadcomputermadover 8 years ago
A well told Story

Compact enough to stay interesting but still made a good point. Depression can sneak up on you so fast that it can cause devastating results. It often needs a friend or a close relative to recognise the symptoms and get help for the sufferer before its too late.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 8 years ago
BS

Jace should of left her....

AnonymousAnonymousover 7 years ago
Divorce

He should of either tried to kill himself again or divorced her.

JackmoftenJackmoftenover 7 years ago
Wimp!

To affraid to just leave and divorce her.

bazreidsbazreidsabout 7 years ago
sickness and health

Seems some folk have no real clue what sickness snd health are all about

Depression is a 'chemical imbalance'

some addictions include working too much (ego based sickness)

or... a chemical imbalance

even the 'dump her and move on' can be a chemical imbalance

Thanks for this story Rob

Commtec07Commtec07about 7 years ago
Re : Anon 08-06-04

I reread this story often to remind myself of the effects of depression and the hope that effective treatment can give. Even with the changes of medication that are required as the patent (your spouse) has to go through due to their bodies building resistance to dosage levels, there are STILL mood swings, crying jags, and rages that have to be worked thru and survived. So far we have survived and are still working together on a daily basis to have a loving relationship. DON'T EVER GIVE UP HOPE!

AnonymousAnonymousabout 7 years ago
Utter BS

He's weak and she's an uncaring bitch. To little to late. Leave the bitch...if you're not going to kill yourself.

tazz317tazz317about 7 years ago
SLIPPIN" AND SLIDIN" ON THE PRECIPICE

there are no handrails or stoppers on the way down, TK U MLJ LV NV

AnonymousAnonymousover 6 years ago
Rob Cucker

Weak story about a weak man (not the depression...taking the heartless whore back made him weak)

AnonymousAnonymousover 5 years ago
NFW!

Me, I’d of just packed my stuff, did whatever financial stuff I could do and left, traveling as far away as I could get. No communications with her or anybody back there, ever!

betrayedbylovebetrayedbyloveover 5 years ago
Damn

How 'bout that? Sometimes love does win in the end.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 4 years ago
Peputial fatigue?

What the hell is that?

And your is not a replacement for you’re.

I agree with Anon way above: get a proofreader or an editor. These numerous mistakes make the story painful to read.

cybojicybojiabout 4 years ago
Good

One of the signs of depression is a feeling of propetual fatigue. Excessive sleeping is common. Women to me are a selfish and heartless bunch. No guy I know would ever treat their spouse like that. But in over half the relationships that my friends are in they seem to serve a heartless bitch. Realistic. 5

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 4 years ago
nice

I have known of many divorces. Many.

In every single case, the wife cheated.

Dont know of a single guy to have destroyed his marriage.

Oh i know it happens, guys can be aholes.

But the shear number of woman that willingly, eagerly, joyfully destroy their children and husbands lives is staggering to me.

I think women lib folks from the 60's probably weep that the lofty ideals they had on equality, have turned into the sad state of affairs we have now.

They just made women as bad as men used to be.

TwopullTwopullover 2 years ago

Solution to everything is getting pregnant.... Heehaw!

dirtyoldbimandirtyoldbiman10 months ago

Almost a 5 star rating.

AnonymousAnonymous3 months ago

Loved the story 5 stars......wished he had left the wife though.....definitely didn't deserve him.

Anonymous
Our Comments Policy is available in the Lit FAQ
Post as:
Anonymous