All Comments on 'Hardscrabble Pt. 01'

by Texican1830

Sort by:
  • 26 Comments
Grimm1267Grimm1267over 2 years ago

Great story so far! I grew up reading Zane Grey westerns, so this is the sort of story I really love. Looking forward to the next chapter. Five stars!

oldsage_1oldsage_1over 2 years ago

I don't usually read the historical stories but some Texas history from a Texas yarn spinner I admire is worth a shot. So far I like what I read and looking forward to the next episode. Great story 5 stars. Hope the editing goes quickly on Chapter 2.

My wife's Grand Father was a West Texas (Grayson County) Sheriff some years after this story is taking place. Participated in the Oklahoma Land Rush and spent some time in California training horses for Leland Stanford.

Cheers

SAGE

AnonymousAnonymousover 2 years ago

Great story for a very prolific writer of Texas life in the time of the cowboys. I am looking forward to the next episode, perhaps Lilly will learn that jealousy does not do well in the Carr household.. I have read your Betrayed series and would like to see more. Perhaps continue with the Ratones THANKS

AnonymousAnonymousover 2 years ago

While not an American I can appreciate the historical content of the story. My home city of Dundee is where the Alliance Trust is based and they provided financing for the expansion of the west. I believe they still have mineral rights there.

linnearlinnearover 2 years ago
Well Done

Great beginning and I loved ever single part. I actually love the historical western stories and can't wait for more.

RRC2RRC2over 2 years ago

Wonderful. I loved it. Can't wait for more.

THANKS

AnonymousAnonymousover 2 years ago

Absolutely loved every word! Can’t wait for the next chapter!

HarddaysknightHarddaysknightover 2 years ago

This is an action packed story and I am greatly enjoying it. I do wonder why it is in romance rather than in Novels. I would make one suggestion. When you punctuate dialogue, you need to begin every paragraph of dialogue with quotation marks, even if the same person is speaking. You are correct to not close a paragraph in quotation marks if the speaker continues to the next paragraph, but you must begin each paragraph of dialogue with quotation marks. I didn't know this when I began writing many years ago. Thanks for the effort you put into this. I am looking forward to the next chapter.

WhoGivesAShitWhoGivesAShitover 2 years ago

Excellent. It seems that even IRL, pretty girls try manipulation, but only succeed in causing problems between men.

Texican1830Texican1830over 2 years agoAuthor

Thanks to all for the feedback! HDK, IDK that; appreciate the help and advice from one of the best.

RanDog025RanDog025over 2 years ago

Most Excellent. Love westerns. 5 BIG HUGE STARS! lol

AnonymousAnonymousover 2 years ago

Great story. Have read the Betrayed series & am looking forward to more great ones!

bgsmithjr52bgsmithjr52over 2 years ago

great story waiting for more

AnonymousAnonymousover 2 years ago

5 stars really enjoy a great western look forward to part 2 thanks

kelchakelchaover 2 years ago

Wonderful to read this story.

My grandmother married at age 15, and it was not uncommon at the time in the hunter trapper fisher community.

Five stars for this part.

sferguson53sferguson53over 2 years ago

Freaking awesome story! Can’t wait to see what happens next.

AnonymousAnonymousover 2 years ago

Great story. Nothing like a good old fashioned western. Thank you.

eightytuneseightytunesover 2 years ago

What an enjoyable read, to this point. Loved the build-up of the introduction of piped water, toilets, septic tanks, etc. GREAT. [Things we take for granted]. Silas has a high-spirited, *high-society*, selfish female wanting to control him. Good luck with that Lily. Too bad Gwen is not available!

Schwanze1Schwanze1over 2 years ago

Manipulative cunt

Homer21stCHomer21stCover 2 years ago

Thank for writing this story. I’m a 7th generation Texan, born in Georgetown. Both of my parents were graduates of Southwestern University. This story pays tribute to those brave early farmers, ranchers and Rangers who put the “Great” in the Great State of Texas.

I look forward to reading the next chapter.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 2 years ago

Lilly is a little slut! Send the bitch to a whorehouse

SlithyToveSlithyToveover 1 year ago

Damn, that's good!

BeareCuddly2BeareCuddly2over 1 year ago

Am really enjoying this story...grew up on ranch south of "Dogtown" (Tilden) Heard. Many stories of Taylor/Sutton fued ( am part of the Sutton's clan via my Dad's mom) ...now of the Carr settlement... I am enjoying the memory connection ! Thanks ! 🤠

AnonymousAnonymousabout 1 year ago

I grew up in a ranch there similar to what you're describing. .It was in the middle parthe 20th century. However for those times it was still fairly remote. We certainly had running water electricity and the like but the Lifestyle was very much the same.

Barbecue then was truly a fine art and has been all but lost. The weak people of today have no idea just how tough our ancestors,both men and women, were then.

THEY made this country....the soft illusions and frauds of today will destroy it.

I'm 76 and, thankfully, will soon pass from this life. I won't have to watch America dissolve into the coming 1984 Orwellian Dystopia. May God help and forgive all of you who embrace the enslavement you call Liberalism.

vintageridervintagerider11 months ago

Great story! It seems you remembered a great deal of your grandparents stories about life in the "old days." Thank you for including those details, they make for a much richer story. And thank you again for including some of the historical facts that led up to our "civil" war. I wonder why nobody seems to know about them anymore? By the way, I never lived in the South but my grandparents were also born in the 1880"s, and they too remembered.

dirtyoldbimandirtyoldbiman9 months ago

Started out good as a real Western. Then it sort of fizzed out into modern day scheming woman.

Anonymous
Our Comments Policy is available in the Lit FAQ
Post as:
Anonymous
userTexican1830@Texican1830
Yes, I'm old enough to have enjoyed the '60s...and 70s, and everything from then until now. My experiences and points of view are likely quite different, so be open minded when you read my stuff, as I do with yours. Current works: Chapters 1 & 2 of Comeuppance are awaiting a...

READ MORE OF THIS SERIES