Hardscrabble Pt. 01

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
Texican1830
Texican1830
1,480 Followers

"His father must have taught him how to handle a pistol too! I've never seen anyone draw a gun that fast!" Gwen said excitedly.

"What? Tell us what happened!" Mrs. Turner squealed.

"When we went to the store to get your goods, this dirty man with crossed gunbelts and two pistols called him a back shooter, and Silas faced him down. Everyone scattered, and Silas told him to take it back or draw, and the gunman went for his pistols. He barely got his hands on the handles before Silas had drawn his pistol and pointed it right between his eyes from only a few feet away!

Let me tell you, that evil man was terrified!" The buzz grew louder, but it was hard to determine who was talking or what was said because so many were speaking.

Silas stood where he couldn't be seen. Clearly, this amazing woman thought highly of him, because the story was told with certain embellishments. He was smiling, enjoying the moment, when he heard one of the girls on the front porch ask excitedly, "And what did Silas do then?"

Keeping out of sight, he took a couple of steps toward the open porch door so he could hear Lilly's answer. He expected he would not fare as well with Miss Thomson as he had with her mother's retelling, but he wanted to hear for himself.

"Oh, without any regard for his personal safety, Silas shrugged off our hands and stepped out to face the gunman, who had two pistols! Both of his pistols had notches on them, meaning he had killed men in gunfights! Silas faced him from only a few feet away, so they couldn't miss, and told him to draw and prepare to meet his maker!

The gunman smiled evilly and his hands dropped to his pistols! Before he could even grasp the handles, Silas had his pistol drawn and aimed right between the bad man's eyes! His barrel was only a foot or two from his face!

The gunman moved his hands away from his guns and held them wide. His arrogance was replaced by pure fear! When Silas ordered him to drop his gunbelts or he'd shoot him between the eyes, he begged him not to shoot, and quickly unbelted and dropped his gunbelt! Then Silas told him he shouldn't carry guns because he was too slow on the draw and everyone laughed!

That evil killer was terrified of Silas, and all the crowd could do is talk about how fearless and fast he was!"

Silas stood stock-still; he was shocked by Lilly's retelling! If anything, she embellished even more than her mother had, and yet she had treated him coldly almost the entire time they had been together. He was confused.

Feeling guilty about eavesdropping, and fearing he might be seen if he kept doing it, he retreated to the hallway, stomped his boots at the doorway, and called out that he was home.

His mother called him into the kitchen, where he was greeted by ten sets of adoring eyes, including those of his mother and sisters, the other women and older girls, and, most importantly, Gwen. He smiled self-consciously and said hello to everyone before asking his mother for something to eat.

He was treated like a king with ten servants waiting on him hand and foot, and he noticed the way Carol Ann and Samantha hovered over him. They were pretty girls and they were around his age, but they had been friends since birth, so he thought of them more as sisters than as potential girlfriends. Apparently, they saw him in a new light.

Gwen, on the other hand... yes, she was older and far more sophisticated, but they had become close, and he could tell she had strong feelings for him. How would that work, he wondered? He was nearly eighteen, she was thirty-two, and Lilly was fourteen. It would be a strange dynamic, but he knew he could make it work if it meant he could have the beautiful and brilliant woman of his dreams!

***

The youngsters came inside while he was eating, and their eyes were absolutely worshipful. The boys gathered around him, patting him on the shoulder and telling him they were proud of him for saving the pretty women. The younger girls stood across from him with their best smiles.

And Lilly... Lilly took the open chair beside him and asked if he wanted second helpings or more water. He almost dropped his fork, but mumbled not right now.

She even had a silly grin on her face, which was quite pretty now that she was clean and her wavy hair was brushed. He smiled back; she gave him a beaming smile in return, and then flipped her golden-red hair back with her hand.

He quickly returned to eating, discombobulated by her changed attitude and wondering what happened to her in the last two hours to cause the change.

After eating, Silas talked to Abe, who rode out to relieve Samuel. Silas went from station to station, ensuring ammunition, rifles, and shotguns were in place and sufficient in number. The three sentries -- a boy of twelve and two eleven-year old girls -- were in the lofts of the barns, watching the distance. He reminded them to check the hill every few minutes, and to alert everyone if they saw a fire.

The boy merely nodded, but the two girls acted insulted that he would tell them what they already knew and had practiced often, as if they were silly children or something!

Before he rode back to the hill to assume watch, his mother and Gwen spoke to him on the porch, reminding him the would need him here to defend the women and children, so don't do something dangerous way out at the watch site. Now he knew how the two girls felt at being reminded of the obvious; he promised and rode away.

When he passed the two barns, Lilly called out to him from behind one. He stopped and rode over to her. "Can you get off for just a moment? I want to give you something for good luck."

He slipped off onto the ground, and told her he appreciated her concern, but he wasn't going to do anything tonight where he would need luck. She approached him with her hand behind her back, as if holding something. "Bend down" she ordered, and he complied.

She took off his hat and tied a leather necklace around his neck that held a Celtic cross. She told him it was her grandfather's cross, and she wanted him to wear it for protection. When she finished and he began to raise his head, he discovered that her mouth was only inches from his. He looked into her eyes for a second and she boldly pulled his head to her and kissed him.

He was so surprised he just stood there for a second, but her soft lips felt so good he crushed her lips to his and wrapped her in an embrace. She felt tiny in his arms, and as their lips ground together, he grew concerned that he was hurting her.

Lightheaded, dazed, and confused by their sudden passion, Silas tried to turn loose and pull away, but Lilly clung to him and kissed him again, this time with her mouth slightly open!

A few seconds later she broke the kiss and embrace, and said with a giggle, "That was my first kiss... and my second!"

He smiled goofily and replied, "Mine too! I didn't hurt you did I?"

"No, although my lips are still tingling from the power of your kiss!" she replied with the hint of a smirk playing around that mouth he had barely noticed before their lips met.

"I have no comparison, but you are an excellent kisser, Lily."

"You are too! Now, go forth and keep us safe, my hero! I'll have your breakfast ready when you return!"

Silas rode back to Spyglass hill with a muddled mind. He had just experienced his first foray into the mysterious and wonderful world of womenfolk, and he was as bumfuzzled as the rest of mankind.

***

Dawn broke slowly on the eastern horizon, spreading fingers of flame among the scattered clouds well before it spread light. As the sunlight spread, Silas watched carefully for any signs of Hays and his gang. He saw none, so when Samuel relieved him they simply reviewed what to do if he saw someone coming.

Others of the settlement were about their chores when he rode up, but Lilly was indeed hovering in the kitchen, ready with his food. She looked at him shyly, and then served coffee, milk, sourdough biscuits, bacon, and eggs. Gwen and his mother were standing in the doorway with knowing smiles, watching. Now he felt embarrassed and shy!

Only a few words were exchanged, but he ate heartily. He thanked her; she looked him in the eyes for the first time since he came in, and told him it was her pleasure. She gave him a quick smile, and went to her mother.

Gwen told her that Silas needed to get some sleep now, and took Lilly to work in the community garden. He went to his room, washed himself with the pitcher and basin he found ready, dried with his towel, and lay on his bed. His mother opened his door and came inside before he could close his eyes. She brushed his hair back and kissed him on the forehead. He reached up, patted her arm, and thanked her.

She unexpectedly sat on his bed, and began, "You know your father and I have high expectations for you, and that we are always proud of you. You are an intelligent and well-educated young man, in spite of the lack of formal schooling. You have strength of character and strong values, and you are a willing and able worker.

All that said, what you did for Gwen and Lilly, Son, went far above and beyond even our high expectations! We are glad you could save them, and pleased you brought them here. They already fit in nicely because they are good people and willing workers.

I only have two cautions for you. One, I saw the way you look at Gwen, and I her the emotion in her voiced when she speaks of you. That is dangerous... for both of you! Such a relationship has many hidden pitfalls that could derail your life.

Two, you must have forgotten that your rendezvous with Lilly took place right under the sentry nest in the barn, so that story is all over the settlement. I don't know if Peggy embellished, but if her version is even somewhat true, that is another danger you must avoid! You are eighteen; she's fourteen -- far too young for a... romantic relationship, much less marriage.

You are a handsome and intelligent young man, and will be a real catch for some lucky girl someday, but remember your dream of attending university before you go too far.

And, Silas, courting both a mother and her daughter is EXTREMELY dangerous; think before you act, Son.

Now, sleep well; I'll wake you if anything happens, or at four if it doesn't. And don't worry; we all know what to do, and we will do it properly without your oversight."

She left Silas to consider her words and to ponder his feelings. He tried, but he was so tired he fell asleep quickly and slept until his sister woke him at four.

***

His feeling remained unexamined, but he felt much better: more alert and able.

Once dressed, Silas strolled to the kitchen where he was surprised to find his sisters and Lilly preparing a meal. "Good afternoon! Where's Mother?"

"Good afternoon, big brother. Did you sleep well?" asked Kathleen.

"Yes, I did! But now I'm starving -- how long until we eat?"

"Mother said you would awaken as hungry as a wolf, so we've been cooking for over an hour. Are you going to eat with all of us at five, or do you want to eat now?" asked Mary Virginia, his younger sister. She was 13; Kathleen was almost 15, about the same age as Lilly, who merely stood and watched him, with a smile on the face he now found quite attractive.

"I'd best eat now. I need to ride up to the hill and take a look around with Dad's Italian binoculars. I keep thinking they might get here before dark, and I want us to have adequate time to prepare."

He was well served by the three young ladies, who had prepared a delicious meal of fried venison steak, potatoes, and carrots, with fried apple pie for dessert. He kissed each on the cheek, thanking them individually and collectively. Lilly had continued to be shy around him, and as he rode out, he pondered her shyness today compared to her aggressiveness yesterday. It just seemed strange, is all, and it confused him.

The more he was around her, the less he noticed her skinny... well, thin, frame, and the more he noticed her pretty face and red-gold hair. And Gwen: she had barely spoken to him since yesterday -- what was that about?

Those two are so confusing!

***

Samuel was more than ready to be relieved! He complained about the heat, the lack of shade, and how boring it was just sitting and watching, and then untied his horse and galloped back to the settlement to eat.

Silas climbed on the rocks that made the highest point on Spyglass Hill, sat on a ledge, and carefully searched every hill and canyon with a road or trail from the south, the east, and the north; he saw nothing. He hadn't bothered to check back to the west because that would require them to make a big circle, but he did so now, just in case; still nothing.

He rested his eyes, and then resumed his search along the most likely routes. He had been up there for the better part of an hour, and he almost missed it. Something on the distant horizon seemed off. There was a light spot on the blue horizon that he began to watch, with and without the binoculars. It was impossible to discern whether it was dust or his imagination, so he carefully searched the rest of the area.

When he returned to the suspect area ten minutes later, he could tell that what he was seeing was a dust cloud, and that it was moving! That meant riders, and more than a few!

They were at least thirty minutes from this hill, even if running their horses, so he grabbed his horse and raced toward the settlement. There was plenty of time for final preparations without lighting the fire and letting them use the smoke as a guide!

Those working behind the barn saw his running horse first; they ran to alert the others, and everyone was waiting as he approached and dismounted.

"There are riders about 30-40 minutes out! Go to your stations and prepare! Remember your training; we have to do this correctly!"

Everyone rapidly dispersed, leaving him standing with his mother, Gwen, and Lilly.

"Is it them?" asked Gwen.

"I don't know, but they are riding fast, so we have to assume it is and get ready. What responsibilities has Mother assigned to you and Lilly?"

"Lilly has her rifle; I have my double-barrel shotgun and my husband's rifle. We will be at the front, overlooking the porch. Where will you be?"

"I'm going to stand on the porch and talk to them."

"NO!" Lilly yelled. "That's the same thing my Daddy did, and they killed him before he even spoke! You have to be inside with us! You can't let them kill you!"

"There are many differences, the greatest being that they will be surrounded by shotguns and rifles. Also, I know Elijah Hays will want to tell me what he's going to do to me and why. Maybe I can reason with him, maybe he will just have his say and draw.

Leave the door open. If I decide he won't listen to reason, I'll step inside and we will fight it out with the gang. But I'm going to try to talk some sense into him first. I've killed three men already this week; I'd like to stop right there, and I'd like to keep others in our settlement from knowing how that feels. But if they want to die, I guess they will."

"You don't know which of us killed his son; I think it was my shot!" Lilly announced. "I'm sleeping just fine, because he killed Daddy and it was kill him or let him kill Momma! And I feel the same right now!

They are coming here to kill us, not talk, Silas! Don't waste your breath!"

He knew she was right, but he had to try. Not everyone holding a rifle or shotgun today would be as strong as Lilly if they had to shoot someone, but he knew they would. If it came to killing or having their kids, brothers, or sisters killed, they would kill!

"You make a good point. I'll stand in the open doorway, Lilly. If it turns into a shootout, I'll step inside beside the oak frame and you can push the door shut with the butt of your rifle. We built this house to withstand gunfire, and we have gun slots to shoot through, so we should be safe as long as we stay away from the windows."

He went inside. Even though they did it monthly, and had done it twice since Silas returned with the warning, they checked their rifles, shotguns, and pistols. Ammunition was laid neatly in rows in the lids to the ammunition boxes that had been built for that purpose, and more ammunition was available in the box. Silas would fire through the slot beside the doorframe, so he leaned his rifle on the wall beneath.

They sat quietly, waiting. When the bell rang, they stood or knelt at their slots. Gwen was standing to his left, Lilly kneeling to his right; they were facing the open quadrangle to the south. His mother was at the slot in the kitchen on the east; Kathleen was in her bedroom, covering the west side; Mary Virginia and his younger brother, Adam, were in the back bedrooms, at slots facing north.

There were six men with Elijah Hays. They rode into the quadrangle with rifles raised, looking carefully at each building they passed. Hays spun his horse in a circle and yelled, "I want the man and women that ambushed my son! If they come out, we won't kill you all, but if they don't, we will kill everyone here and burn your buildings to the ground!

We know your menfolk are off with the rangers, chasing after my dead son and his friends, so all you have here are women and children! You stand no chance against us, so send them out, or we start shooting!

Silas stepped into the open doorway. "I'm Silas Carr. I'm the one who killed your son and the other two, after they murdered Robert Thomson and kidnapped his wife! There was no ambush; they shot first, and they died!

You say there are only women and children here. Do you men care whether the bullet or shot that kills you was fired by a man, woman, or child? Because you are surrounded and outgunned -- look around you!"

At that, rifles and shotgun barrels were extended through the slots of the homes and barns. "Do you see? If this turns to shooting, you will all die. We won't bury you either -- we'll toss your bodies on a pile of wood, cover it with more wood and light it!

Now, Mr. Hays, we can end this right here and you can all live another day. Your son was a murderer and would-be rapist! When his prey fought back, he pulled a gun and tried to shoot her in the back, so he got what he deserved!

Ride back to your ranch, bury your son, and raise your cows, Sir. There is no reason for all of you to die today!"

Hays had listened, but his rage wouldn't let him stop. He squared his horse and prepared to reach for his pistol when the rider beside him grabbed his hand and yelled, "PA! STOP! You know what he says is true! I loved my brother, but he was a hellion and he brought this on himself! Let's just ride back to the ranch, give him a proper burial, and take care of things there."

"The hell I will! I'm going to kill this boy, and then anyone else who fires on us!" He wrestled lose, and turned to his son. "If you're yellow, then you ride away now!"

"Goodbye, Pa. I'll carry your body back and bury you beside Josiah, if these folks will let me, and I'll take care of the ranch," he promised, then made a last plea. "Please, come with me!"

"Get out of here you yellowbellied coward!"

His son raised his hands and walked his horse away from the quadrangle.

Elijah Hays steadied his horse again and faced Silas. "Damn you boy!" he cried, and grabbed for his pistol. Silas drew his Peacemaker and shot him out of the saddle before his gun cleared the holster. He stepped inside just as a bullet struck the doorframe by his head. He heard Lilly and Gwen fire, stuck his rifle through the slot, and saw that two more saddles were empty.

Samuel fired from the barn loft, clearing another saddle. The remaining outlaw raced his horse the way he had come in, and took a shot at Samuel as he rode. A shotgun roared from the Townsend house, and he was blown backward off his horse.

Texican1830
Texican1830
1,480 Followers